Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

86kms/1400mts around Souty county Dublin and North Wicklow - cold and damp but never actually rained! Nice coffee in the Happy Pear too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Was going to leave for work early and take a scenic way to work, but the wife had car trouble which left me short of time. Planning a longer spin home later if the wind isn't too bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Doc07

Miklos wrote: »
    127kms around the hills yesterday, snow on Lough Bray, sunshine on Shay Elliott and a heaping of rain for good measure. Toughest spin of the year so far, but had a few flashes of form which was nice.

Could have sworn I saw a few flashes of a motor as you left us for dust up Shay Elliot

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

68km out to Powerscourt and back. €6 to have a look at a waterfall for 2 minutes. I passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

First cycle in three months due to ill health. Started off easy enough due my my low level of fitness but after 20kms I felt pretty good and instead of cutting it short after an hour of cycling (which had been the plan), I kept on going. That was a mistake. After 90 minutes, I just hit the proverbial wall and the legs gave out. Didn't help that the wind had picked up into my face for the last 10kms. Was glad to get home. 52kms in an hour and 55 minutes. Too much too soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Home for the weekend so did the Greenway from Athlone to Mullingar and back, with a couple of laps of "piss off hill" near Athlone included.
    Had a headwind going to Mullingar so lovely tailwind had me pushing the pace a bit more on the way back until my legs gave out for about the last 45 mins and I kinda limped home! Still, first 100 of the year, 107km in 27kph.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

D13exile wrote: »
    52kms in an hour and 55 minutes. Too much too soon.
    that's good going! especially if you class yourself as unfit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyway, the usual sunday morning 50km spin for me. a wee bit chilly and damp, but a good spin nonetheless, just over 27km/h average.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

Yesterday.. Did my first ever club cycle with the newly formed tallaght wheelers . Been waiting for a tallaght club to get going for a while now. Was about 20 rolling out . Very mixed bag of cycling abilities but was very enjoyable spin. 70km heading from cycle super store out towards blessington doing a lap of lake drive and back for a nice cuppa in the frameworks cafe in the store

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Did the Sally Gap yesterday morning. Low clouds and short flurries of snow were fun. Only downside was my bluetooth headset (one ear) died a little before Kilmacanogue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

jober wrote: »
    Yesterday.. Did my first ever club cycle with the newly formed tallaght wheelers . Been waiting for a tallaght club to get going for a while now. Was about 20 rolling out . Very mixed bag of cycling abilities but was very enjoyable spin. 70km heading from cycle super store out towards blessington doing a lap of lake drive and back for a nice cuppa in the frameworks cafe in the store

Any "fixed" days and times arranged for spins yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

secman wrote: »
    Any "fixed" days and times arranged for spins yet ?

There has only been 2 spins so far. I didn't know about the first 1 so I missed it. But Saturday morning 9.00 from the shop seems to be the time so far.
    There is a club meeting on Wednesday at 7.30 to try finalise details . There still in the process setting up membership details etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Got drowned this morning. I was keeping an eye on the met rainfall radar and could see a 'gap' in the rain approaching and took my chances. All was going well until I was a little over half way and the heavens opened. Got destroyed. I'm here trying to air out my gear at my desk! It was otherwise a nice cycle actually, and it's been a long while since I got that soaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Sunday morning out with he club for a spin. Learned how to ride up front and keep the front rotating, damn it's much easier to ride in a group......in the middle at the back, near no headwind at all, just nice and easy pace. Jees, I've been cycling into headwind since August.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Sunday morning out with he club for a spin. Learned how to ride up front and keep the front rotating, damn it's much easier to ride in a group......in the middle at the back, near no headwind at all, just nice and easy pace. Jees, I've been cycling into headwind since August .....

Character building for you!!! 30km into a headwind is as good as any workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Should have worn winter gloves this morning, real bite in the air, probably not helped by my gloves being wet from the rain. fingers were pretty numb and achy by the time I got to work. Will find my winter gloves and wear them tomorrow.

Met another commuter who had it worse though - all the rain gear, full rain trousers, even overshoes. No gloves at all. Ouch! I imagine they got lost or something.

Windy and wet commute into work this afternoon. It was raining when I left and I was delighted with myself for not reaching for the car keys.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1489030466

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Will this wintery weather ever stop? I was pretty well soaked this morning, and was I was almost surprised by how cold it felt, but I suppose I'm just used to it now after this seemingly endless winter. The cycle home was okay, but that northerly wind was pretty atrocious at points, I felt I was really fighting it at some points.

Come on spring, I'm sick of having to layer up at this stage!

Will this wintery weather ever stop? I was pretty well soaked this morning, and was I was almost surprised by how cold it felt, but I suppose I'm just used to it now after this seemingly endless winter. The cycle home was okay, but that northerly wind was pretty atrocious at points, I felt I was really fighting it at some points.

Not looking any better next week but forecast for 12-13 at the weekend.

Was bloody freezing on Monday so Tuesday I headed out for an out an hour in cold weather gear and was roasted, today didn't get it right either had to go back for the jacket before I got to the bottom of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

It's a bit of a cliché complaining about the weather here, but it's been absolutely sh1te for the most part the last few months. I only started cycling in the city last November. I really don't know what i'll make of it when the weather gets fine and there's less wind. :D:D

Fingerless gloves this morning were not the brightest idea either for me. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Smashing morning today and as planned I went out early before the wind picked upto get 3hrs saddle time in.

Of the near 80km I did i reckon 50km if those were into a headwind and a tough one especially as I met a few digs with the legs still getting used to 11/25 block I found it tough at times.

Wind and all it was still great to be out as the shoulder is slowly getting back to some sort of half decent shape.

80km @ 28.8 avg.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

dahat wrote: »
    Smashing morning today and as planned I went out early before the wind picked upto get 3hrs saddle time in.

Of the near 80km I did i reckon 50km if those were into a headwind and a tough one especially as I met a few digs with the legs still getting used to 11/25 block I found it tough at times.

Wind and all it was still great to be out as the shoulder is slowly getting back to some sort of half decent shape.

80km @ 28.8 avg.

That's cracking going especially since you must be still in a bit of discomfort?

That's cracking going especially since you must be still in a bit of discomfort?

A bit alright but improving each day with physio etc. Sudden jerks/movements give me most discomfort plus I'm rolling over onto it during sleep which doesn't help.

dahat wrote: »
    A bit alright but improving each day with physio etc. Sudden jerks/movements give me most discomfort plus I'm rolling over onto it during sleep which doesn't help.

Used my partners maternity pillow to keep me on one side at night few years back when I had some issues. Worked a treat.

Used my partners maternity pillow to keep me on one side at night few years back when I had some issues. Worked a treat.

I have a memory foam one I can use alright, I'll give it a try and see.
    Thanks!

the cycle home today was great - albeit tailwind assisted. managed about 37km/h for about 6km without breaking much of a sweat. best was 41km/h for about 1.5km.

Spotted a man on a black cervelo in drogheda today, you need to wash your bike fella. Looked you'd gone XC on it :eek:

Wind was mostly behind me on the way home just now until I took the last turn and almost got blown into a ditch!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Took the bike to work and then took my time coming home via Glencree, and the featherbeds. A lot of climbing in the legs yesterday was tough going. Very windy up the top had me nervous on of the crosswinds. 760m climbing over 47km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

First round of the Club League last night, a short hilly TT. Pretty happy with how I went, think I paced it OK because I could taste blood for the last kilo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement