Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Brutal headwind going to work this afternoon and a bit blustery at times. Had an unusually high amount of close passes today as well, which wasn't too nice.
    Almost got creamed by a roadsweeper in the airport. He was sat in a junction to my left, but facing the same way as me. Car behind me flashed him out (unknown to me at the time) and he pulled out just as I was level to him. Both him and the car didn't notice me - despite me wearing a bright yellow rain jacket and two lights front and back!
    @sshat in the car was a pilot, and most likely using his phone at the time, so I gave him a large piece of my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

A quick 32km spin as I've a night shift tonight, summer definitely on the way as there were more flies than cyclists out today.

Definitely warmer today and less wind but some rain - at least it washed some of the mud off of my bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

36k from South city out to howth and back. first cycle in a few months so it hurt but I was happy enough in the end

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Definitely warmer today and less wind but some rain - at least it washed some of the mud off of my bike...
    was out southside earlier at a friend's kid's birthday party. there was torrential rain, rivers running down the streets. got home (d9), and it's bone dry here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

64k or so from dublin up the mountains. first time in ages the weather has been nice when ive had time, so decided to tackle kippure.
    I am sure they've made the last ramp at the end more steep since i was last up there.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1494283163

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Nursing a sliced finger from a bladed spoke when I stopped tofix a puncture on the Mullingar greenway today. A big thank you to the two young lads who stopped and gave me a spare tube after I found that my own spare had a bent valve.

Aside from that, it had been a good spin out to Athlone. It pissed the whole way round but it didn't matter because it was such a decent spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

103km with 1500m climbing. Hills are not a nice way to deal with a hangover... Lovely soaking 5k from home too, where did that come from, was almost biblical. Think I was passed by a boardsie on Ballyfolen Road.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1494856757

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

P_1 wrote: »
    103km with 1500m climbing. Hills are not a nice way to deal with a hangover... Lovely soaking 5k from home too, where did that come from, was almost biblical. Think I was passed by a boardsie on Ballyfolen Road.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1494856757

Got caught in that same shower, it was mental.

65kms for me today, out and up over Howth, felt a bit ill throughout and then threw up when I got home. Feeling rather sorry for myself now

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

50k today .Couple of climbs up and around Howth Head . Took it handy enough . Thought about hammering up the climb which didn’t last past the graveyard.
    Very very Foggy up there . At one point someone came out of the mist suddenly and I thought it was a character from John Carpenter’s The Fog looking for their gold back . Was surprisingly wet heading back to Swords. Noticed a few from the boardsie hill climb had gone up again today .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

First venture around the lake drive this year , still trying to get back to fitness after my lay off in Dec -Jan with my back. 68.6 km avg just under 25 kph... 24.82 to be precise. Can only get better 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Yesterday ,Merry ploughboy to sally gap crossroads, to lough tay and laragh , glenmacnass , sally gap crossroads ,kilbride ,firhouse.
    95km 1550 metres. First time up Glenmacnass.
    Absolutely fecked after .

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

50k today ... Noticed a few from the boardsie hill climb had gone up again today .

I was one of them; I gave the climb from the right hand side of the church a lash for the first time - all was going well until I got to near the top; the fog was so thick I couldn't find the road leading to the summit :o :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

54km this morning around NCD. 28km/h ave, which is good for me. Passed a bad looking smash on the naul to balbriggan road, thankfully the occupants of both cars seemed to be out and walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Back out with the club today on what was a pretty grim spin on the sunny South East! Alot of rain and foggy conditions up high though good numbers with quick turnovers helped.

Summer bike was out with a new set of Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon wheels which felt great, added that a new set of compact bars and the bike felt pure comfy, much more than last season. I felt good near the end and won the finsh gallop pretty comfortably after a good lead out.

115km at 30.3 avg...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭rolling boh

lots of cyclists out today on summerhill dunboyne road its a good enough spin clonee trim back batterstown road about 65k it can suit all levels i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

A 20k spin earlier and a 15min rest and joined the club for a 35k spin. 55altogether this morning. Nice morning. Temps getting a lot better. Wind has died down a lot as well. Didn't chance the shorts this morning though....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

a leisurely 40k around malahide & howth with a friend who's not really a cyclist, so nice and easy.
    The fog around howth is really weird, very localized and thick when the village is basking in sunshine!

Just the usual 19Km into work but did go for shorts (with leg warmers) instead of tights and shoes instead of my winter boots. Felt strange to get more airflow over me (and slightly cold at times)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Long 50k slog up El Teide today. Hadn't been up for 2 years and was disappointed to see that I was 23 minutes slower than last time.

The pro's out training really made me feel mediocre. I thought I was descending fast at one point as I was doing about 60km/h in a brutal side wind when a group passed me as if I was standing still. I'd say they were doing 90-100km/h and in a very close formation.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1496640185

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

Long 50k slog up El Teide today. Hadn't been up for 2 years and was disappointed to see that I was 23 minutes slower than last time.

The pro's out training really made me feel mediocre. I thought I was descending fast at one point as I was doing about 60km/h in a brutal side wind when a group passed me as if I was standing still. I'd say they were doing 90-100km/h and in a very close formation.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1496640185

Nice. Make sure to check out TF38 route up. They widened and resurfaced it last summer. it is as smooth as a putting green now and is a nice long gentle gradient through some lava fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Beautiful weather in sunny South East this afternoon. Headed across to ballyedmund and left on to main road to Castlebridge and on towards Wexford town. Took left turn for Curracloe and along the coast road to Blackwater, Kilmuckridge and home. 54 km avg 25.7 kph. Just a precautionary note on Sun protection, can't stress enough how important it is. Use it all the time in latter years but unfortunately not back in my twenties/ thirties and as a result of that I have to have a " growth" removed from my right shin in 2 weeks time, 50/50 st the minute whether it's a "bad one" fingers crossed 🀞

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

secman wrote:
    Beautiful weather in sunny South East this afternoon. Headed across to ballyedmund and left on to main road to Castlebridge and on towards Wexford town. Took left turn for Curracloe and along the coast road to Blackwater, Kilmuckridge and home. 54 km avg 25.7 kph. Just a precautionary note on Sun protection, can't stress enough how important it is. Use it all the time in latter years but unfortunately not back in my twenties/ thirties and as a result of that I have to have a " growth" removed from my right shin in 2 weeks time, 50/50 st the minute whether it's a "bad one" fingers crossed 🀞

Best of luck with that secman, fingers crossed for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

transylman wrote: »
    Nice. Make sure to check out TF38 route up. They widened and resurfaced it last summer. it is as smooth as a putting green now and is a nice long gentle gradient through some lava fields.
    Oh, that's good to know. I was only thinking about it yesterday as I was contemplating climbing it instead of descending it. I went down it about 4 years ago and can honestly say it was the worst long descent I've ever done. A bit like holding on to an uncontrollable jack hammer for an hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

rushfan wrote: »
    Best of luck with that secman, fingers crossed for you.

Second that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I did part of the Waterford Greenway with herself on Friday. From Dungarvan to Kilmacthomas and back. There was a stiff enough breeze out, i thought we'd struggle coming back facing into it. Not to be the case, it seemed to be all fairly downhill on the return leg.

Lovely part of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

116km through Dublin & Wicklow mountains yesterday. Cruagh & Pine forest to Glencullen, Old long hill, Sally gap from Roundwood side, Kippure, Featherbeds and a cheeky second run up the Pine forest and then home. 1855m elevation, am pleased with that! 22.4km/h average so not so pleased with that!

Gorgeous morning to be out and also great to see so many people out enjoying the good weather on road bikes, hybrids, MTBs and even just hiking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

First race of the season for me yesterday at the Cycleways Cup. Ran the gamut of feelings.. 20kms in I'm thinking "this isn't so bad", 40kms it's " this is rough, I'll be happy to finish in the bunch", 65kms in I start feeling good and start to move up and 74kms in I'm crossing the line 7th!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The wind behind me on my commute to work this morning was ridiculous, I hit a top speed of 49.7km/h on the flat on the Clontarf cycle track (completely empty...). Plenty of strava personal bests! It's so rare to have that kind of a wind heading southbound!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I look forward to sucking your wheel on the way home...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement