Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

The wind behind me on my commute to work this morning was ridiculous, I hit a top speed of 49.7km/h on the flat on the Clontarf cycle track (completely empty...). Plenty of strava personal bests! It's so rare to have that kind of a wind heading southbound!

Normally the wind is with me, this morning not so.

I got off the bike, totally bolloxed, expecting PRs on strava all round because i fairly got the legs pumping. Nada. Zilch.

It better not have fcuking changed this evening.

/grumble

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

57km from Bray to Roundwood, up to Military Rd, back to Bray via Enniskerry. Parts I've never been to but have read about often on this forum. Soaked through despite the word "waterproof " being present on some of my gear. Head wind, driving rain , rivers running on roads, etc. Definitely out of my comfort zone today. Might be open to correction on some of the locations above but, hey ho!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭positron

First time commuting to work this year. Drogheda to Dundrum via R132. Approximately 58k, 2h 20min or so, and a bunch of PR, I guess the odd turbo sessions over the winter did help somewhat.

Nice soft morning for it, but the roads were wet and plenty of muck - most of it ended up on my backside. And my sincere apologies to those bikers who were riding around me and got sprayed, I will def get a mudguard, I promise!

After spending 8 hours at work looking for things to eat.. I decided to try Matthews coaches from UCD. Super nice driver and bus itself. The space in the undercarriage is a few inches too short for the bike to stand up right - so I left it kinda slanted and locked it to the internal frame. The downside is that the bus didn't get near Drogheda until 6:40 or so, making my door to door little over two hours. It's easier but not quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'm a proper misery guts this week, under pressure everywhere so too a lieu day today and had a ramble on the bike then went up and did a bit of Muay Thai. Feel great now, still feckin cold out there though. Lousy winterspring weather

positron wrote: »
    First time commuting to work this year. Drogheda to Dundrum via R132. Approximately 58k, 2h 20min or so, and a bunch of PR, I guess the odd turbo sessions over the winter did help somewhat.

Nice soft morning for it, but the roads were wet and plenty of muck - most of it ended up on my backside. And my sincere apologies to those bikers who were riding around me and got sprayed, I will def get a mudguard, I promise!

After spending 8 hours at work looking for things to eat.. I decided to try Matthews coaches from UCD. Super nice driver and bus itself. The space in the undercarriage is a few inches too short for the bike to stand up right - so I left it kinda slanted and locked it to the internal frame. The downside is that the bus didn't get near Drogheda until 6:40 or so, making my door to door little over two hours. It's easier but not quicker.

How did you find riding that road beyond Julianstown? I've not ridden it out beyond there in more years than I care to recall. I'd normally turn off soon after. Had a mind to head out that way recently then didn't for some reason.

• Advertisement

I know what you mean - it's definitely not the nicest road surface to ride on and the traffic is grim as well. It's especially bad just after Julianstown to all the way thru Balbriggan up to Balrothery. Newly surfaced section south of Balrothery isn't too bad, but then it gets bad again soon after till after Blakes cross. I don't love this road, but it's relatively safer compared to the narrow country road-ish routes thru Naul etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

positron wrote: »

bravo! I remember you talking about your long commute before actually - don't you also sometimes drive to somewhere near half way and then cycle both ways?
    is there somewhere in work you could safely keep your bike? first thought I had when reading this was that if I were you I'd look to leave my bike in work and then cycle home another evening. but that obviously only works if it is secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

63Km around NCD this morning. Started cold and a bit damp but no actual rain and warmed nicely enough after the coffee stop. Garmin lost GPS signal after the stop but caught up once I switched it back on manually.
    Only my second group spin and not really used to it yet, but getting there I think.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1504015178

bravo! I remember you talking about your long commute before actually - don't you also sometimes drive to somewhere near half way and then cycle both ways?
    is there somewhere in work you could safely keep your bike? first thought I had when reading this was that if I were you I'd look to leave my bike in work and then cycle home another evening. but that obviously only works if it is secure.

Cheers. You are right, I have mentioned this commute here. I did this three or four times last year. Often I would ride out the whole way and then in the evening cycle to Portmarnock where I will get a lift back to Drogheda. I did cycle both ways once - just once - it was hard enough, especially with the laptop in the backpack.

Fortunately for me, work provides secure bike cage in the underground carpark. I think it's safe enough to leave the bike overnight, although I will have to ask around to see if anyone has tried it. It's good to have that option. Might cycle both ways the same day again as weather, daylight and (if) my fitness improves... fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭dahat

First evening spin of the year for me today, I had some scheduled intervals on the turbo but abandoned those for a set of 5x5 hill reps outdoors as the weather was half decent.

I got 3 x 5 in as I ran out of hill to complete the last two but I was pretty fooked as my 11/25 block is not the ideal climbing gearing. Hopefully I learn to use the block better in the coming weeks especially when racing.

I cruised around local roads them to make 2hrs on the bike and while it got a little chilly I really enjoyed getting out in the air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Only my second group spin and not really used to it yet, but getting there I think...
    Keeping in with some illustrious company there triggermortis!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Keeping in with some illustrious company there triggermortis!

They’re a good bunch alright and I’m learning a lot already

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I had a chance for a morning spin today. Went up Howth through the village. It's been a decent while since I attempted it last so I wasn't sure how I would get on. It honestly wasn't too bad, you get the worst of the climb over and done with early on and it's fairly plain sailing after that. Weather was grand, cool but dry, a perfect start to the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Capitalised on the fact that today was National Workplace Wellbeing Day to get a sanctioned extended lunchtime 35km spin out to Howth and back on company time. I guess it helps when your boss is with you..........:pac:

Anybody else manage a spin today under the pretext of Wellbeing Day?

I just love the randomness of the people you encounter in life in a positive way. Was sat at the lights earlier feeling shagged after a 25km spin and likely looking it with the medication I've been on in the last week leaving me feeling very tired. Sat beside a van waiting to turn right and me going straight when the guy in the passenger seat shouts out at me "here do you want one fella" and sticks a box of jaffa cakes out at me :D

Don't mind if do om nom nom nom !!!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Sat beside a van waiting to turn right and me going straight when the guy in the passenger seat shouts out at me "here do you want one fella" and sticks a box of jaffa cakes out at me.

Left hooked by a Jaffa Cake....messy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

100km odd with the club. Foooook me what happened to the sun. Couldn't see 10cm in front of our noses for the first half. Crossing Vartry was like something out of Game of Thrones.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Forecast tmrw looks poor so headed off solo for the weekly 100km spin.

The weather was decent though breezy and as normal for me I made a balls of the SSE wind and suffered on way home with a the nearest I've come to a bonk at 103km so I rolled home for the last 2km. There was no kind soul to save me with a jaffa cake unfortunately!

103km at 30.4avg with a suffer score of 269! Hard days work.

ED E wrote: »
    100km odd with the club. Foooook me what happened to the sun. Couldn't see 10cm in front of our noses for the first half. Crossing Vartry was like something out of Game of Thrones.

I did Glendalough via Rathdrum this morning, a 100k ish spin.

The stretch past Ballinastoe was pretty grim

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Cycle for inspiration this morning. 101km at an average of 35.1kph. Them dunboyne lads know how to set a good pace, good bunch of lads with a front group of about 20 rotating well. Would definitely do it again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Westport Gran Fondo . 127km around some pretty spectacular scenery.
    Bit of a bugger of a wind and Sheefrey pass climb after 100km was tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

Difficult slog of a day around the Donegal Bay sportive. Did 120k at 22km/h and am completely buggered. Same speed as I did last year, and I'm supposed to be fitter! However, I'm a bit less annoyed by the fact that I did 460km in Palma last week, and am clearly not fully recovered from that, even though I thought I was. So that definitely played into it.

But every inch of that was a struggle today. Many thanks are due to Colm from Letterkenny who was on a beautiful new Cannondale, who was great company for about 50km, until I had a 'Come to Jesus' moment at the bottom of Glengesh and decided I was going to wait for the broom wagon. I read the map wrong and thought there was another climb right after that one, and there was no way my legs would manage it.

No thanks to the stupid tourists in a black SUV who kept stopping IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BLOODY ROAD on said descent to take pictures.

EDIT to say that the organisation was excellent, great marshalling, great food and plenty of it, lots of water stops - a really fantastic event, if it wasn't for my tired legs!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Budawanny wrote: »
    Westport Gran Fondo . 127km around some pretty spectacular scenery.
    Bit of a bugger of a wind and Sheefrey pass climb after 100km was tough.
    did this today. An slog with the wind but stunning place to cycle. 121k 28.3. One of the lads in the club finished 12 overall with 34.1 avg. savage. Plenty of beers to round up the weekend

davef1000 wrote: »
    ...No thanks to the stupid tourists in a black SUV who kept stopping IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BLOODY ROAD on said descent to take pictures....
    A few of us were nearly taken out by another participant who decided to cross the road without looking near Mountcharles to take a pic of his fellow club mates. I thought I was a gonner but managed to hold it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

An early morning spin out to blessington, planned on doing lake drive spin but a very noisy bb changed my mind. Stayed on main road out to Russborough house and back to blessington and back road to manor kilbride and home. 60 km avg just over 25.7 kph. Need to have bb looked at , say it's knackered, surprised as not a lot of km on it... only have that bike since Sept last and was off it for a good 9 weeks or so over the winter. Although it did have some manky spins on blessington road before my injury.

secman wrote: »
    ....planned on doing lake drive spin ...
    I have that horror to look forward to tomorrow. :( How you do it voluntarily is beyond me.
    secman wrote:
    ... Need to have bb looked at , say it's knackered, surprised as not a lot of km on it... only have that bike since Sept last and was off it for a good 9 weeks or so over the winter. Although it did have some manky spins on blessington road before my injury.
    If the bike is put away in a cold shed after a wet ride, the moisture can remain in the BB and corrode the bearings.

In saying that, it's very hit and miss - I replace the BB in one of my bikes much more than the others. It could also simply be dirt in the system which has happened to me a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Luxman wrote: »
    did this today. An slog with the wind but stunning place to cycle. 121k 28.3. One of the lads in the club finished 12 overall with 34.1 avg. savage. Plenty of beers to round up the weekend

Fair play to your club mate. Great avg speed there yourself. The wild Atlantic way bit by lough Fee to the first stop in Lettergesh school was so much fun too

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Manky and wet 80ish this morning out to Poulaphouca turned and back to Ballyfermot. Should have put the overshoes on feet were absolutely freezing coming back down the embankment.

Still its better than the turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Hadn’t been on a Sunday spin in a few weeks for various reasons. So spent yesterday cleaning and readying the bike. All the gear out last night ready. Tyres pumped. Garmin and rear camera / strobe charged.

Left the house at 8am delighted with myself. 13km into the spin, I get a hiss sound and a flat rear tyre. At that point I realised I had no tyre levers, but managed to get the new tube on and inflated. Slight bulge in the tyre (its not that old - conti GP) which suggested something was amiss - deflated then reinflated manually with a mini pump. Wasn’t happy with tyre and feared a blow out further on. Turned for home.

Leg 1 of cycle - 13km. Fix puncture

Leg 2 of cycle - 13km home.

Feeling sorry for myself, I’ve arranged a new bike viewing on Saturday.

• Advertisement

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    ...Feeling sorry for myself, I’ve arranged a new bike viewing Boards Username on Saturday.
    FYP :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement