Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what gearing do you have on the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The 32 cog was liberally used

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ah bugger. best i can manage is a 28.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,185 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

ah bugger. best i can manage is a 28.
    Ah you'd be grand. Plus there's no shame in stopping to talk to the sheep on the way up (when you get your breath back) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

P_1 wrote: »
    Kilmashogue hurts, a lot...
    I thought that until I tried Priest's Leap. It makes Kilmashogue feel short and flattish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭plodder

Day 1 of Wild Atlantic way sportif. 110 km kinsale to skib. After all the months of baltic weather, today was an absolute delight with perfect conditions and stunning scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭positron

Not today, but yesterday, I did my new 'normal' Dundrum-Drogheda for a third time this week, took the direct route (R132). Again, what a beautiful evening it was to just chill and pedal and watch the world go by. Looking at Strava though, it looks like at least two Dublin-Skerries cyclists caught up with me and dropped me on that ride.

Another curiousity from Strava flyby is that someone did 45 miles going around and aruond south inner city yesterday evening - sure there was quiet a crowd out and about enjoing the sun and beers, but why would someone ride around 45 miles in south inner city, in that traffic etc?

Also the e-bikes - not sure what to make of them. City center was chaoting with all sorts of vehicles, bikes, commuters, Dublin Bikers all mixing here and there, and saw a number of e-bikes with nice wide bars and comfy looking tires just tearing thru them. I am puffing and panting to stay ahead of them but the guys have more substantial helmets, heavy protective clothing (not unlike my own motorbike gear) and they just take off and reach 25 kpmh in seconds and stay at that pace, uphill, bridge whatever they just zoom away without a care in the world. Certainly looks dangerous to me... more specifically to me ego..

positron wrote: »

Another curiousity from Strava flyby is that someone did 45 miles going around and aruond south inner city yesterday evening - sure there was quiet a crowd out and about enjoing the sun and beers, but why would someone ride around 45 miles in south inner city, in that traffic etc?

Also the e-bikes - not sure what to make of them. City center was chaoting with all sorts of vehicles, bikes, commuters, Dublin Bikers all mixing here and there, and saw a number of e-bikes with nice wide bars and comfy looking tires just tearing thru them. I am puffing and panting to stay ahead of them but the guys have more substantial helmets, heavy protective clothing (not unlike my own motorbike gear) and they just take off and reach 25 kpmh in seconds and stay at that pace, uphill, bridge whatever they just zoom away without a care in the world. Certainly looks dangerous to me... more specifically to me ego..

Ah Deliveroo rider recording his shift on Strava maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭positron

That makes sense. Here is it: https://www.strava.com/activities/1518481167

Wouldn't it be easier and quicker on a scooter?!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I invariably find going up ramps like Kilmashogue, the wall, Cunard, etc... on my good bike I push the right lever in the vain hope that in might make life a tiny bit more bearable but bike says No. Mooching around Massey's woods over the last couple of lunch times, I'm loving the Deore 9x3 groupset on the old hack. Heavy old hybrid that it is, you ask for one more gear and it usually comes up with the goods (eventually). Now to be fair, pressing one of the gear levers is really no more than a vague request that you'd like the bike to change gears when it has a spare moment, but once if finds that low gear you could climb a mud wall. Which is pretty handy as it happens.

448736.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Did the Ring of Kerry yesterday for the first time. After a rainy start, the weather cleared and allowed for some fabulous scenery, it's Kerry after all!

Some of the roads were in poorer condition than I expected notwithstanding the recent cold weather. The second half of the decent down to Kenmare was bone shaking and my wrists and undercarriage took the hits.

Made sure to stuff my face with food all the way round to avoid any late hunger knocks and it worked (thanks to 4 bananas, 4 gels, 2 cans of coke, a picnic bar, snack bar and an iceberger). Stopped in Sneem and Cahirsiveen.

Rolled in a smidge over 6 hours for the route. No issues with traffic and barely any other souls out cycling. I can only imagine what the roads look like in July for the ROK.

86k and 1400m up Sally Gap, some awfully rampy back roads around Powerscourt, up the Devil's Elbow and a much needed pint in Fox's (which actually gave me more energy).

https://www.strava.com/activities/1520599083

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Been on a course all week (4 more to go :( ) and can’t cycle to and from as have kids to drop first...
    finished early yesterday so got out for an hour. First ride of the year on the good bike and in shorts - big grin time!
    Exam today and finished by lunch so dashed home and got out for 68km around NCD. Wind was more of a surprise but really enjoyed the spin. Legs are feeling it a bit now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

positron wrote: »
    ... Looking at Strava though, it looks like at least two Dublin-Skerries cyclists caught up with me and dropped me on that ride...
    Well in fairness, one of them races in A1 so I'd expect nothing less! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

P_1 wrote:
    86k and 1400m up Sally Gap, some awfully rampy back roads around Powerscourt, up the Devil's Elbow and a much needed pint in Fox's (which actually gave me more energy).

That pint looks especially nice atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Woke up this morn, looked outside and smiled. Im like a kid at christmas!

One of those days where im going out and may not come back til nightfall!

i was hoping to get out today but pesky friends have grabbed us for a day of what will undoubtedly be very pleasant activities, but which do not involve cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Took 2 beginners out for their first spin. Beautiful day for ambling along. Hope they don't get impression every day is like today :) but it did make up for some miserible days in the middle of winter

Was informed i have to paint so back in after 3hrs. Its glorious out, lots of cyclists and runners up the hills above dublin. A lumpy 66k out to enniskerry via featherbeds and back in 3hrs. Omly downside was some biddy in a corrolla doing 30k from glencree to enniskerry and taking up the whole road. But that road is in bits though, probably did me a favour by slowing the descent

https://www.strava.com/activities/1522020524

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

First spin since before Easter. First time in shorts and short sleeves on the bike this year. Handy 50k

• Advertisement

Beautiful spin today, down the coast to Rathnew, up to Laragh via Rathdrum, up through sally gap and back to dun laoghaire via the Merry Ploughboy.

Glorious day. If you own a bike and weren’t cycling around sally gap today, put it on Donedeal. You don’t deserve it 😂😀

• Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭dahat

110km at 30.4 avg in blistering sunshine, stunning day.

Can we have same tomorrow please?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

100 odd in the sun, feckin glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

148k with 1700m. Taking in some upcoming Orwell climbs along the way. Glorious out as many have said. Omelette in Roundwood and then up lugg to Sally gap. That’s a tough mother of a climb. Home now and shredded but very happy.

stocking lane - scholarstown to viewpoint strava segment was smashed today as well, I guess if there is any day for it to be done then it is today!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Went from home in D8 up through Sandyford and Lambs Cross and burrow road right through to Fox's. Got a puncture on the way up but got it fixed and went on. Hit Enniskerry and Bray then headed for Howth. I met a girl on the cyclepath at Clontarf who had come off badly, 3 kids had run in front of her and when trying to avoid she went down. I announced myself as a first aider and she tells me she's a paediatrician lol... stayed with her for a few minutes until her sister came, she was very shook. We need to take care of each other out there :)

95kms for me with 750m, considering what went into my body last night I am am quite pleased

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

retalivity wrote: »
    stocking lane - scholarstown to viewpoint strava segment was smashed today as well, I guess if there is any day for it to be done then it is today!

Smashed into tiny pieces!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

101km ,1700m. Edmondtown , sally gap , djouce , laragh , glenmacnass , Seefin shoulder , cunard and home. What a great day out. Lots of happy warm cyclists out.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

101km ,1700m. Edmondtown , sally gap , djouce , laragh , glenmacnass , Seefin shoulder , cunard and home. What a great day out. Lots of happy warm cyclists out.

• Advertisement

86k around some delightful hitherto unexplored backroads in Meath and NCD. There are some real boneshakers around the back of the Bog of the Ring.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1522395042

Another decent spin will give me my first 400km week, here's hoping the weather gods smile on us tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement