Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

Ha had one of those roads myself today in a moment of hey I wonder whats up this way. Swung off the R150 right just after Julianstown. I knew it would take me back over to the Beamore Rd eventually. Hadn't been on that "road" since I was a young lad. It's as bad as I remembered :D

Turned right and headed for Cope cross and went straight through heading on out to Donacarney and then Mornington , got bottle of fanta in the garage there and headed down to the beach at the light house there to sit for a while. So nice there early in the morning. Few out walking dogs and spotted a couple on horses. Headed back into town along the river there passing a group of 4 heading out to Mornington who gave me a hello. Covered about 30km all in i think. I left my wahoo on the kitchen table so I'm guessing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭Plastik

Great day for it alright around Wicklow. 140km with 2,700m @ 28avg. Some fine crisp.tan lines this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Yesterday headed out after 7 am , still nippy at that time, out to blessington and did the lake drive spin, beautiful morning when it warmed up. 67.5 km avg speed 27.5 kph. It was heading for 9:30 when I was back so saw a lot of crews heading up the embankment as I was coming down, Orwell? Or tallaght wheelers both ? Must have been 40 to 50 of them spread over 3 groups.
    2 dead deer just at the embankment pub, sika I think. Saw them on way up but forgot about them on way back and had to swerve around one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Only had an hour for a quick spin before the wife went to work. Got dressed too quick and didn’t bother with arm or leg warmers. Brrr.... cold and wet and very little energy so cut it short and only managed about 13km. Saw someone in a Swords jersey coming out of Skerries so I’d say that’s my weekly sighting of WA!
    Dinner to make now and bike to clean

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

. Saw someone in a Swords jersey coming out of Skerries so I’d say that’s my weekly sighting of WA!..
    Yes, myself heading to work. (Was that you in the greenish gear on the Dublin Road?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Yes, myself heading to work. (Was that you in the greenish gear on the Dublin Road?)

It was. Should have dressed better as I was freezing and not going fast enough to do the loop I wanted, in the time I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It was. Should have dressed better as I was freezing and not going fast enough to do the loop I wanted, in the time I had.
    I was thinking you had a lot of skin exposed alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

Nice 65k around NCD yesterday but my god I hate that stretch of road from Lusk to Donabate roundabout...you know that compacted stone but no Tarmac overlay for smoothness type of road:mad: or what I'd imagine the moons surface resembles:)

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Finished the couch to 50k today with the club, Ballinasloe, taughmaconnell, ballyforan, Ahascragh, Ballinasloe. Stayed dry, just a little shower when we stopped for coffee, bit blustery at times. Looking at longer spins at the weekends now;-) Kilbeggan festival Sportive in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Yesterday - did just over 100km around south Connemara - fabulous day - averaged just over 29km per hr on a solo run...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1522055555

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

P_1 wrote: »
    86k around some delightful hitherto unexplored backroads in Meath and NCD. There are some real boneshakers around the back of the Bog of the Ring.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1522395042

Another decent spin will give me my first 400km week, here's hoping the weather gods smile on us tomorrow.

Ah your horse picture is only about 500m away from my parents house. Lovely part of the country on a nice day.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

70km around NCD. Swords to Portmarnock via the Baskin, up to Wimbletown, north of Ballyboughal, Oldtown, back to Swords via the airport. Windy enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Just a short 30 km spin today to calm the nerves before a "procedure" today in the hermitage . Some oul wind out there today, a spin of 2 halves, a brutal headwind up the embankment to the lamb and a great tailwind coming back. Suffered a fair oul wobble coming down the embankment with a wicked cross wind, never had one before... clocking about 55kph at the time.. scary stuff... lightness of carbon frame certainly didn't help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

secman wrote: »
    Just a short 30 km spin today to calm the nerves before a "procedure" today in the hermitage . Some oul wind out there today, a spin of 2 halves, a brutal headwind up the embankment to the lamb and a great tailwind coming back. Suffered a fair oul wobble coming down the embankment with a wicked cross wind, never had one before... clocking about 55kph at the time.. scary stuff... lightness of carbon frame certainly didn't help :)

Best of luck with that secman. Hope it goes alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Jumped on the bike straight after work this evening and blasted out to Howth and back. Nice tailwind on the way out, PR's the whole way out and I was expecting torture on the way back but I was quicker than usual. All the winter miles are paying off. Almost 3 years ago I did my first 50kms and it nearly killed me, funny to think now I get in from work and fly out for a 'quick 50 before dinner'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Today and yesterday, the usual for work. High/Church St is busy tho. Thomas St can be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭jamesd

Here's mine from today in Majorca.

Check out my ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/1530969496/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1524666692

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

jamesd wrote: »
    Here's mine from today in Majorca.

Check out my ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/1530969496/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1524666692

must be private as I can only see your profile with summary info.

must be private as I can only see your profile with summary info.

Thanks, yes I forgot that.

how was it? I'm over next month and currently planning on Andratx to Port de Pollenca but whether to just do the direct route over the mountains or add a couple of descents into port towns en route is yet to be decided!

• Advertisement

how was it? I'm over next month and currently planning on Andratx to Port de Pollenca but whether to just do the direct route over the mountains or add a couple of descents into port towns en route is yet to be decided!

It was brillant, Puig Major is a good climb, long and stead 6% all the way up, Port Soller and you have other options then like Valldemossa port which has a great climb and then Sa Calobra too so loads of climbing available - or you could go Valldemossa via col de Soller into Soller and back via Puig Major.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Shorts and short sleeved Jersey today because its summer. Caught in 2 showers, fierce headwind on the way back, but enjoyed it all the same. 25k.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a little fresh and breezy out there this morning. nice morning for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Quick, well slow but short time wise, hour or so mountain bike spin on the trails near the house last night. Have to build the confidence before I get too brave (particularly as I'm generally solo), but a was a nice change from road and turbo. Remembered why I got a mountain bike after having doubts as to whether that particular purchase should've been cx/ gravel instead! (CX/ Gravel is n+1 obviously!)

a little fresh and breezy out there this morning. nice morning for it though.

i'm banking on the wind not changing during the day as that headwind into work deserves a reward on the way home!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

i'm banking on the wind not changing during the day as that headwind into work deserves a reward on the way home!

Definitely! It was killer this morning. Avoided it somewhat yesterday by going the Malahide road instead of down the coast, but I had a few bad passes so I decided to face the wind today. Ooowweeeee it was a tough one. Looking forward to the sprint home.

Definitely! It was killer this morning. Avoided it somewhat yesterday by going the Malahide road instead of down the coast, but I had a few bad passes so I decided to face the wind today. Ooowweeeee it was a tough one. Looking forward to the sprint home.

I went Howth road instead of the coast this morning but only because I was tight for time. it was still horrible! Windfinder tells me it'll still be a westerly this afternoon but may have eased a little...

nice little 35k spin this morning around Calvia. Didn't get to bed until 3am this morning and had to collect the bike at 10, so I couldn't face a long spin.

Expect to do another 40k one this evening and then hit Es Capdella to Puigpunyent tomorrow, before heading up to Alcudia for the big day on Saturday.

There must be a sizeable Irish contingent taking part Saturday, I counted 14 bikes loaded on to my flight yesterday and I would imagine a lot are hiring a bike, as I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

First cycle into the office of the year, will try and do it at least once a week over the summer (it's 30K each way so a bit much to do every day). Bit blustery and when I got into the carpark I spent 10 minutes looking for my lock (which I'd left attached to one of the racks last year).

The road from Greystones up to Windgates remains a bugger to cycle on; grinding up the hill while cars queue behind you and then try to pass with inches to spare in the face of oncoming traffic. Not fun but after that it's mostly downhill/flat.

Also DLRCC have done a decent job on the new cycle lanes on Wyatville Rd, and from there there's a nice 5km stretch through Kilgobbet and Meadowvale Parks; shame there isn't an off road option for the rest of the route (come on S2S Cycleway!)

• Advertisement

Had a bit of a triathlon of sorts today. Walk to the pool about 4km away and had a 45 minute swim which I haven't done in ages and really felt it after a few lengths. That wasn't 45 minutes non stop either :o

Walked home and along the way thought I'd head out on the bike for a bit as it was a nice day coolish but bright, great idea but would have been better staying in the pool thats how wet I got on the bike. It didn't rain for long but was really heavy and after about 12km I was cold, soaked and miserable so headed home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement