Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Climbing towards Glencree tonight, hear a deep rumbling engine behind. In my head thinking this is either a chopper motorbike or some tricked out Jap import. "Car up!".

04 Micra.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Was in Waterford for work training yesterday. Took the bike instead of having them pay for taxis. The greenway had an access point across the road from where I was training so did about 8 Km of it as far as Kilmeaden and then returned to Waterford city for just unde 20 km total

Will return to do the entire length of it as it's a great facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Corkagh Park crit last night, didn't get dropped after Scratch made the catch so that's an improvement on the last one at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Weepsie wrote: »
    Was in Waterford for work training yesterday. Took the bike instead of having them pay for taxis. The greenway had an access point across the road from where I was training so did about 8 Km of it as far as Kilmeaden and then returned to Waterford city for just unde 20 km total

Will return to do the entire length of it as it's a great facility.

Very good, though the start in Waterford can be a bit tricky to work out first time using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Had an hour after I got home from my course. After getting dressed and actually onto the bike I realised I had less than 40 minutes to be back and collect my daughter from school. Took a quick spin around the block (3.4 km in total!) Couldn’t face any more as my chain was really noisy in a head wrecking way! Still, got to test my new fly6 and have to say the quality is pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Not today but earlier in the week:

8am: cycling towards Lambs Cross. Shane Ross driving in bus lane. We get chatting. I ask him, as Minister for Transport and Sport should he not set a good example and stay in the main lane. He says he has a permit /is authorized to use bus lanes. I said its a bit hypocritical, why cant you just leave home earlier like everyone else? Is your getting to work more important than say a Dr or Teacher? No answer.
    Of course, behind him was a copy cat just following Mr Ross, fine example. So Ministers can use the late lane ?

Same morning, Camden Steeet
    - taxi passes me and speeds up to pass a red light that was lit red way before he passed me. He then had to drop anchor 100m later when a car ahead of him slowed and stopped on an orange light (kudos that driver). Lights go green and impatient taximan engages clutch to move off. I pass and hear crunch, grind, bang. Taxi jerks and rolls to a stop. Hazards go on. Clutch or gearbox gone. Game over, no more running red lights and swearing at other law abiding road users when they stop for a red light. #justice #onelessbangerofataxi

It’s amazing what you see on your bike..

wah ha ha ha that made my day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭patrickc

I was in Cork for the week with work and took my bike.

I've been doing bits and pieces but no more than 30k a go.

On Monday I cycled from Cork city out to Rathcormac and back 51km there's some amount of hills on that run I was shattered coming back.

On Wednesday I did a 25km just a spin out to Blarney and back and yesterday just a small 15km loop with a massive hill in Glanmire as part of it.

an enjoyable week but I think it's getting near time for a newer bike.

hopefully I can continue to build on my distance

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Not today but earlier in the week:

8am: cycling towards Lambs Cross. Shane Ross driving in bus lane. We get chatting. I ask him, as Minister for Transport and Sport should he not set a good example and stay in the main lane. He says he has a permit /is authorized to use bus lanes. I said its a bit hypocritical, why cant you just leave home earlier like everyone else? Is your getting to work more important than say a Dr or Teacher? No answer.
    Of course, behind him was a copy cat just following Mr Ross, fine example. So Ministers can use the late lane ?

The bus lane stretch beside Rosemount school? If he's still driving the Volvo SUV, it would be worth hanging out there for a while with a camera, to see if his 'permit' story stands up once the press picks up the video.

The bus lane stretch beside Rosemount school? If he's still driving the Volvo SUV, it would be worth hanging out there for a while with a camera, to see if his 'permit' story stands up once the press picks up the video.

It’s was after the lights at Aikens Village. I have it recorded. Have not looked at it.
    He was very keen to show the permit sticker but I did not look. Same Volvo SUV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Summer arrived yesterday proper, lovely warm breeze, sun shining, a steady 27kph over 33km.just back at 4pm when buddy text if i was going cycling, so done it again at 7pm😎

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Summer arrived yesterday proper, lovely warm breeze, sun shining, a steady 27kph over 33km.just back at 4pm when buddy text if i was going cycling, so done it again at 7pm😎

It did alright, but not til the afternoon. Did 4 laps of a sodden Phoenix Park & then some , total 59km, all for a Dublin airport to Westport run we're doing in a month's time.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    It’s was after the lights at Aikens Village. I have it recorded. Have not looked at it.
    He was very keen to show the permit sticker but I did not look. Same Volvo SUV.

I'd guess that lots of press would be interested in that footage.

I'd be reasonably certain that there is no provision in law for a permit to let politicians use a bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I'd guess that lots of press would be interested in that footage.

I'd be reasonably certain that there is no provision in law for a permit to let politicians use a bus lane.

In the past the Ministers would have had Garda drivers, who would be allowed use the bus lane in the course of their duty.
    I'm guessing the Ministers were issued some class of a PSV permit when the drivers were cut in the midst of austerity.

I'm not defending it, just a possible explanation.

cjt156 wrote: »
    In the past the Ministers would have had Garda drivers, who would be allowed use the bus lane in the course of their duty.
    I'm guessing the Ministers were issued some class of a PSV permit when the drivers were cut in the midst of austerity.

That’s my thinking too. I don’t think it’s right that they have priority while driving to work/social. If the powers that be think there is a problem with traffic flows that impedes transit times, they should fix it, not create an elitist /privlidged solution just for them.

cjt156 wrote: »

In fairness, the Garda/bus lane thing is 'where necessary for the course of the duties' afaik, so it would be a bit of a stretch to be using it to save Rosser 5 minutes.

I'd be very surprised if a PSV permit was issued without this coming to public attention. Taxi permits are capped, and limited to wheechair accessible vehicles, so are they really breaking these rules for Ministers?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Went for a blast up Howth this morning. Great day for it, suns out, relatively cool and calm. Oh yes. I'm trying to improve my climbing at the steepest sections, but find it difficult to keep any pace at all, and my heart rate is through the roof. I guess I need to practise more!

Beautiful day. 80 km from home to Naul and back via Airport, Oldtown, Garristown and some side roads to extend the distance.

Had a puncture going out the door, Garmin froze too so was delayed by a while sorting them. By the time I left, breakfast was a distant memory so I was hungrier than normal throughout. Daybreak in Naul had a special offer on big Haribo bags which saved me.

Might head back out in the evening to .Ake up for lost time.

Loads out. No incidents. Loads of good drivers too today.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1537013362

Had to edit the GPX as my Garmin paused on a non ride from 5 weeks ago so! Sublime text makes editing them nice and easy though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Left the house this morning just after 10 with the intention of meeting a friend for coffee, said friend was hungover so bailed on me. Scoffed a sausage roll in Sandyford and then headed towards Enniskerry with the intention of going via Glencree, however at Lambs Cross I was feeling really cold (Short sleeves and nothing else with me) so went via Step. When I got to Enniskerry the sun had come back out so headed into the hills and to Roundwood and then on to Sally Gap and from there back home. My first time going into the mountains for a good distance rather than just pottering around the edge. Tough but satisfying day, 85kms with 1350metres. Not bad for 3 hours sleep last night too!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Mallorca 167. 2600m. The climbs aren’t too bad really. The road surface is so smooth you get a lot for free compared to Wicklow . Not steep but they drag on a bit. But there is nothing that will sap the all the energy from the legs and leave you hanging on.

• Advertisement

I imagine there are some still out doing the 312!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

3M 57s up The Wall P2. Gonna have to shave that down sub 3.30 for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

I imagine there are some still out doing the 312!

Ireland has the 4th highest representation in all categories so there probably are indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Did 20 miles and made the mistake of wearing boxer briefs under the padded tights. Chaffed rear like mad so I'm rather sensitive at the mo. Other than that, it went well, could have kept going. I really hate cycling into a head wind!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Quick 40k loop around Tara for me at lunchtime. Some signage out for the Tour de Meath, at the bottom of Tara sign 1 said "It's only a hill!". Shortly after sign 2 said "Get over it". Oh how I laughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

Managed 207 km around Connemara today, we added a few km on to the WLAC 144. Perfect day, no rain or wind. Great company and a few pints at the finish.

Luxman wrote: »
    "It's only a hill!". Shortly after sign 2 said "Get over it". Oh how I laughed.

On signs.. Today somewhere beyond Ballyboughal I saw someone put up a sign that said

"Drive like your children lived here"

Pretty simple advice, and the part of the road it was on is the very part I get stupid and unnecessary overtakes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

On signs.. Today somewhere beyond Ballyboughal I saw someone put up a sign that said

"Drive like your children lived here"

Pretty simple advice, and the part of the road it was on is the very part I get stupid and unnecessary overtakes

Actually near featherbeds today on a narrow piece there was a cyclist coming towards me, a car came behind, I put my hand out and signalled him to not pass, he passed anyway and nearly ditched the other poor sod coming towards me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Headed out n81 to blessington and on to Hollywood, legs feeling a bit ropey,( on steroids and antibiotics to try clear a persistent cough) so decided not to do Hollywood and the lake drive. Headed back and took right turn at Phoulapouca for tulfarris and left at bridge bsck on to n81 to blessington, around small lakes to manor kilbride, Lisheen and home. 71 km avg 26.9 kph. Legs died a death from blessington to home. And I thought doping made you stronger and faster :)

• Advertisement

Budawanny wrote: »
    Mallorca 167. 2600m. The climbs aren’t too bad really. The road surface is so smooth you get a lot for free compared to Wicklow . Not steep but they drag on a bit. But there is nothing that will sap the all the energy from the legs and leave you hanging on.

So err, did you not do the climb out of Deja?

I have never in my 48 years experienced pain like that 😳

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement