Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Aegir wrote: »
    Budawanny wrote: »
    Mallorca 167. 2600m. The climbs aren’t too bad really. The road surface is so smooth you get a lot for free compared to Wicklow . Not steep but they drag on a bit. But there is nothing that will sap the all the energy from the legs and leave you hanging on.

So err, did you not do the climb out of Deja?

I have never in my 48 years experienced pain like that 😳

It was definitely tough but not hugely as a climb In its own right . It was tough because it was hot as hell , and we have 1500 meters of climbing done already .

Anyone thinking of doing this event in future who have a bit of access to the hills at home should have no fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Cycled into work today for the first time this year, and only my second spin of any significance this year.

Can't say I enjoyed it, which really disappoints me. It wasn't too cold, it was bright, little to no traffic on the route and no wind at all. Perhaps it was the prospect of working on a Sunday having had very little sleep.

Anyway, I'll probably take the train home and keep the return trip for an afternoon/evening during the week when I'm feeling it a bit more!

www.strava.com/activities/1538107701/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

45km around NCD today, wasn't firing on all cylinders. was wondering where everyone was; was 13km into the cycle before i passed another cyclist. and did another 10km before i saw another one.
    turns out that they were all on the stretch between the naul and roganstown. the road was packed with them. was there some event on?

Budawanny wrote: »
    It was definitely tough but not hugely as a climb In its own right . It was tough because it was hot as hell , and we have 1500 meters of climbing done already .

Anyone thinking of doing this event in future who have a bit of access to the hills at home should have no fear.

For me, this was the point I realised that doing the 225 was totally unrealistic for this year, it completely broke me.

I agree though, in its own right it is a tough, but enjoyable climb, its just after the previous climbs the legs are already hammered.

I had only stopped at the first food station to fill up bottles as well, so I hadn't had a decent break up until Esporles.

Did anyone else see the photographer fall off the cliff face at the first food station by the way? I can't believe the guy got up, I honestly thought he was a goner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

65 Km around NCD @ 29.4 kmh, which surprised me as I felt quite slow a lot of the time.
    Saw loads of people out, especially around Naul - my Garmin picked up multiple speed sensors - not a message I’ve seen on it before - maybe I need a new battery in my sensor if it’s not picking mine up ( I know I need one in the cadence sensor as that’s dead).
    Really enjoyed getting out as I haven’t been able to cycle to and from work lately

https://www.strava.com/activities/1538717460

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Eponymous wrote: »
    Cycled into work today for the first time this year, and only my second spin of any significance this year.

Can't say I enjoyed it, which really disappoints me. It wasn't too cold, it was bright, little to no traffic on the route and no wind at all. Perhaps it was the prospect of working on a Sunday having had very little sleep.

Anyway, I'll probably take the train home and keep the return trip for an afternoon/evening during the week when I'm feeling it a bit more!

www.strava.com/activities/1538107701/

It gets easier with each spin. Just curious - would it not be more pleasant on the Windgates road than on the N11?

PS You might want to set up privacy zones on Strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

After a fairly flat winter mostly relying on my beloved road Singlespeed to keep the legs strong on flatter routes I've been trying to get ready for the Mick Byrne 200 as an entry to hillier Audaxes after three flat events.

With my main concern being finishing in better condition than I did last year's WW200 so after doing a pretty standard spin over the gaps last week I wanted to push the boat out without repetition.

Yesterday I started off on Cruagh Road at a steady 10kph where I was passed at the top by some dude struggling up in the 11 sprocket before turning onto Tibradden, Glencullen, the Devil's Elbow...which descending made me wonder how I'd ever climbed it: Involuntary wheelie or no...

Derailleur jammed at the botton of the climb back out necessitating a stop and clip back in. Got chatting to an adventure racing type who'd just descended the elbow on Cantis on his hastily wheel switched CX bike.

He took off ahead of me on the next descent and nearly came a cropper with a light truck that was overtaking a parked car with its door open on a blind bend at the bottom of a hill #Bloodycyclists

We chatted uneventfully as far as the turn for Glencree. I kept it mostly in the big ring as far as the German Cemetary and peeled back off onto the long descent to Powerscourt wherein despite my conservative descending a Cork reg car ahead of me felt compelled to pull in to let me pass!

From Powerscourt I found a car width boreen that must have been at least 20% in places...but lost my nerve and unclipped when a car passed me. Unable to get clipped back in on that gradient I had a 30m walk of shame to the top. A second confidence denting walk followed on the top third of that sharp hill between Ballinastoe and Roundwood when I became wrongly convinced my rear mech was going to choke again....it was a busy time for cyclists on that hill...

From Roundwood I got a bit ot pace to Laragh and with 60km done and finally having cash on me I stopped for lunch in the hidden cafe (minestrone soup with savoury scone) and headed off over the Shay Elliot where I was able to keep it pacey by my standards in the big ring without grinding most of the way up wherein the first of three hail showers hit me . A cautious descent on the steep loose chipping strewn rough surface served as a reminder that I'll never buy a bike with less than 28mm tyres again: After recovering on the final descent into Glenmalure, I found less steam going over Slieve Maan as the next shower was longer and grimmer, the descent was nearly empty. The long slog through the Glen of Imaal is always mentally difficult and I was grateful to pass two roadies heading in the opposite direction.

Once I'd completed the long descent to Donard the mental pressure eased a little and some time in the sun cheered me up. I stopped in the village for a flapjack before taking the truly abysmal tertiary road to Blessington which was still worth it for reducing my time on the N81 before Blesso.

This is where it all went wrong, having come through Valleymount off the Wicklow Gap last week I confused the Valleymount turnoff with the turn from Blessington main st I needed for my planned climb back up to Sally Gap.

With the return of the dark oppressive weather, the time being after five and my shorts and shoes having gotten soaked, this 20km blunder broke my spirit and I bailed for home via Tallaght.

165km 2200m

https://www.strava.com/activities/1537268750/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1524937931

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

75 km around the south of Wicklow, no big climbs but the hard pace home on the undulating coast road means I've just woken up from a nap.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... I found a car width boreen that must have been at least 20% in places...but lost my nerve and unclipped when a car passed me. Unable to get clipped back in on that gradient I had a 30m walk of shame to the top...
    That's the second half of 'The Wall' (occasionally spoken about here). Now get out and do the 'Full Wall'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

That's the second half of 'The Wall' (occasionally spoken about here). Now get out and do the 'Full Wall'.

Where's the first?

Edit: Never mind...across the road from the second part should have been self evident

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

It gets easier with each spin. Just curious - would it not be more pleasant on the Windgates road than on the N11?

PS You might want to set up privacy zones on Strava.
    Windgates does make for a more scenic route out of Greystones alright, but the idea of Bray head first thing wasn't really top of my list of nice things. I've done little by way of climbing in the last while, wasn't opening my account today! Without a doubt though, when I cycle home, I'll definitely come over from the Bray side. I do have a soft spot for that approach.

Probably should set up a privacy zone alright, rarely start rides from outside my house though, usually start recording from a bit away from the house, 100m or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Another lovely day. Steady spin total 38.5k,with a few nice climbs. 25.3k average. Oh, and signed up for the 80k for croi 10th June:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Second good day in a row. Out with a buddy today, we headed to howth, up the village side to the right hand side of the church to the summit, back down to the harbour and then same again back to the summit. We went back down the graveyard side and up to Sandyford via coast road, Poolbeg for coffee from the van and through Blackrock/Newtown Park Ave.
    From there it was back down to the canal and home.
    80kms 700odd metres

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Headed for ballycanew , Gorey and down to courtown, left turn for ballymoney and loop back out on to old Arklow Gorey road, left for Gorey, back down to courtown, coast road to Ballygarrett, Kilmuckridge and home. 55 km avg 26 kph

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

A shade over 400km over the last 3 days.

Westport to Keem Strand on Achill and back.

Westport to Killary and then the Gaelforce Nightrider Sportive.

Killary to Galway through Connemara.

Glorious weather and just jaw dropping scenery

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Headed out after a lazy start to the day.

Stepaside - Cruagh - Sally Gap - Lugalla - Balinstoe - towards Powescourt and left up top part of wall (x2) - Enniskerry - Stepaside.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1539381201

65km of almost total happiness! (One close pass while going at about 55/60kph). My two trips up the top of the wall were in 36/27 in the saddle all the way 1st time and a mix of saddle and out of saddle 2nd, which according to Strava was 2 sec faster! I recorded lower HR’s using the mixed, though in the saddle all the way is my preferred climbing style.

Great to be out!! I am way behind where I hoped to be by now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Eponymous wrote: »
    Windgates does make for a more scenic route out of Greystones alright
    the only time i've ever gone up windgates is the morning after a good friend's 40th (he lives pretty much at the bottom of the climb), so i was glad to simply get up and over without needing medical assistance.

nice 40k spin today with two goals in mind, firstly to lose some lactic acid from the thighs, the second to get over the 7500m Strava climbing challenge.

I only started cycling in July, feeling really proud of myself.

I now have around 5,000 calories in the bank I can consume without feeling guilty:D

For me, this was the point I realised that doing the 225 was totally unrealistic for this year, it completely broke me.

I agree though, in its own right it is a tough, but enjoyable climb, its just after the previous climbs the legs are already hammered.

I had only stopped at the first food station to fill up bottles as well, so I hadn't had a decent break up until Esporles.

Did anyone else see the photographer fall off the cliff face at the first food station by the way? I can't believe the guy got up, I honestly thought he was a goner

Didn’t see that no , but that was quite a cliff. He was lucky for sure.
    Yeah It would have been grim comtemplating the 225 after Deia.

nice 40k spin today with two goals in mind, firstly to lose some lactic acid from the thighs, the second to get over the 7500m Strava climbing challenge.

I only started cycling in July, feeling really proud of myself.

I now have around 5,000 calories in the bank I can consume without feeling guilty:D

That’s one steep learning curve your showing. Fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭plodder

Pleasant 40 km for me yesterday morning around north county Dublin. I left a lot earlier than usual due to time constraints. So, I was a few miles out before I noticed I had forgotten my helmet. Probably would have noticed sooner if I hadn't also forgotten my gloves and it was still quite nippy at that stage. It's funny the looks you get when you're otherwise "geared up" but missing a couple of the important elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

1st spin since the end of August last year. 50.2 kms yesterday, the PP looked gorgeous in the early morning sun, about 7.45ish but it was Baltic my feet were frozen. great to be back on the bike, the pain in my legs and butt are a reminder that I need to get out more often, just as well my work commutes will be commencing this week.

Playa de Muro to Cap Formentor . Stunning views and a couple of tidy climbs. Feeling them so soon after Saturday’s event.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Cool breeze out there, seemed to be coming from all directions at times. Had the option of a spin in glorious sunshine or a day on the tear in the city!! I chose the former. Must be getting old. Anyway, 70km around NCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Maam to WEstport on Saturday, through louisburgh. Just as gorgeous as I had been led to believe. Really nice cycle, beautiful weather for most of it.

The heavens opened as we left louisburgh, no overshoes on, my feet (and the rest of me but especially my feet) were like blocks of ice by the time we got to wesport. Couldn't see much of clew bay because of the downpour. Still a great cycle all in all, though an unpleasant finish to it. Gleann Dorcha is beautiful.

Next day i put mudguards back on my bike. We left on the greeenway to head to achill and back. I went on ahead of my brothers because they planned on only going to Mallaranny and back. I picked up a puncture, took ages to change, they caught up with me and helped me finish it off . Used a sealant spray adn two tubes to fix it. One of the tubes in my saddle bag was pre-punctured, not sure how. My mini pump screws on to the valve, everytime I pumped it up and tried to unscrew the pump it was taking part of the valve out with it. Really irritating. Then we stopped in Mallaranny for a pint, they decided to take a lift home. I picked up spare tubes from the car and went back on bike, abandoned plan of continuing to achill.

About 10 minutes later another almighty downpour opened. I was in shorts/short sleeves but i had a raincoat in my pocket. Put that on and continued until I found shelter. Waited out the rain there. Heavy hailstones at the very end of April...this global warming stuff isn't all it's cracked up to be. I was delighted i had put the mudguards on - my feet at least were not soaked through. Probably also helped that it was hail rather than rain, though that was not so nice for my bare legs.

Anyway after that finished got back on the bike. another puncture about 5 minutes later. First time i have ever had 2 in one day. Not pleased. Changed the tube again, this itme it took 6 attempts before I could unscrew my mini pump without unscrewing the top part out of the body of the valve. Eventually it worked and I headed off home. Weather was pleasant again and a nice cycle back to Wesport. Finished with a pretty long drag up into wesport, funny i had not remembered going down it on the way out.

Great cycling facilities. Great views. This greenway is far better than the one in Waterford. All in all it was a fantastic weekend.

I am using continental tubes that i picked up cheaply. Really irritated by the valve unscrewing bit. I tightened the ones currently in my saddlebag with a pliers to try to prevent it happening with them. anyone have any tips on this - is the problem with my mini-pump rathe than the tubes? I use a "pocket rocket" i think it was called. Anyway all that pumping hassle persuaded me to buy CO2 inflator and cartridges in Aldi, but i will keep my mini pump in saddlebag also rather than risk the same thing happening as i unscrew the inflator and running out of cartridges before running out of tubes.

Edit : change "westport" to "waterford"

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Recently (approx 3 weeks ago) I took up cycling and bought a bike. Today I went for a 66km spin in Münsterland in Germany, which I reckon is an ideal place to start cycling as there's a lot of lovely, (flat) quiet roads and a respect for cyclists among motorists (the 2 oncoming cars I met kindly stopped until I passed while I was battling against a horrible headwind). Later I was doing 30kph (not in a headwind) which is about my maximum and a guy breezed past me doing 40-50kph while looking around, admiring the view and just generally dawdling. It really was quite impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Fian wrote: »
    Maam to WEstport on Saturday, through louisburgh. Just as gorgeous as I had been led to believe. Really nice cycle, beautiful weather for most of it.

The heavens opened as we left louisburgh, no overshoes on, my feet (and the rest of me but especially my feet) were like blocks of ice by the time we got to wesport. Couldn't see much of clew bay because of the downpour. Still a great cycle all in all, though an unpleasant finish to it. Gleann Dorcha is beautiful.

Next day i put mudguards back on my bike. We left on the greeenway to head to achill and back. I went on ahead of my brothers because they planned on only going to Mallaranny and back. I picked up a puncture, took ages to change, they caught up with me and helped me finish it off . Used a sealant spray adn two tubes to fix it. One of the tubes in my saddle bag was pre-punctured, not sure how. My mini pump screws on to the valve, everytime I pumped it up and tried to unscrew the pump it was taking part of the valve out with it. Really irritating. Then we stopped in Mallaranny for a pint, they decided to take a lift home. I picked up spare tubes from the car and went back on bike, abandoned plan of continuing to achill.

About 10 minutes later another almighty downpour opened. I was in shorts/short sleeves but i had a raincoat in my pocket. Put that on and continued until I found shelter. Waited out the rain there. Heavy hailstones at the very end of April...this global warming stuff isn't all it's cracked up to be. I was delighted i had put the mudguards on - my feet at least were not soaked through. Probably also helped that it was hail rather than rain, though that was not so nice for my bare legs.

Anyway after that finished got back on the bike. another puncture about 5 minutes later. First time i have ever had 2 in one day. Not pleased. Changed the tube again, this itme it took 6 attempts before I could unscrew my mini pump without unscrewing the top part out of the body of the valve. Eventually it worked and I headed off home. Weather was pleasant again and a nice cycle back to Wesport. Finished with a pretty long drag up into wesport, funny i had not remembered going down it on the way out.

Great cycling facilities. Great views. This greenway is far better than the one in Waterford. All in all it was a fantastic weekend.

I am using continental tubes that i picked up cheaply. Really irritated by the valve unscrewing bit. I tightened the ones currently in my saddlebag with a pliers to try to prevent it happening with them. anyone have any tips on this - is the problem with my mini-pump rathe than the tubes? I use a "pocket rocket" i think it was called. Anyway all that pumping hassle persuaded me to buy CO2 inflator and cartridges in Aldi, but i will keep my mini pump in saddlebag also rather than risk the same thing happening as i unscrew the inflator and running out of cartridges before running out of tubes.

Edit : change "westport" to "waterford"

Would have been cycling from Killadoon to Killary about that time myself. Saw the cloud drop over Croagh Patrick and it looked decidedly unpleasant.

Quick 30km this evening out to garristown and back through oldtown. Bit damp and cold, but I knocked over a minute off my pb on the garristown drag due to the southerly wind. 28.6km/h average which is good by my standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

64km club spin this evening 29kmph avg, into a blustery wind one the way out, got caught in a torrential downpour, when we looped around for the spin home, the wind had died down. Then got dropped on a drag and the group were in touching distance for the next 10km, but just couldn’t get back on. Cold and wet I gave up and rolled home miserable :)

It was like a November evening out there just brighter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Wet, windy and miserable spin this evening, about a km from home I was happily going along the cycle lane when a lady drove into the cycle lane and forced me to bail off. No damage to me or bike bit a lovely dent in her door where I banged it with my fist. I didn't actually mean to damage the car and I only hit it to tell her I was there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement