Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Jaysus, you a boxer as well as a cyclist?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how did that pan out? did she stop/did you stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

She stopped and asked if I was ok. Her wing mirror was folded in prior to our coming together, I told her to get it fixed and she told me it wasn't broken, just folded in from when she was parked. At that point I started to boil so I cycled off before I turned the air blue
    ED E wrote: »
    Jaysus, you a boxer as well as a cyclist?

And yeah kinda :) Boxing and Muay Thai being my favourite classes over the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Early morning dash out to Howth and back, we didn't go over the head given time pressure. Nice headwind all the way back in but maintained a good solid pace, that kind of headwind sapped me a few months back. The clean eating and training hard is really paying off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Week 3 of class over early so got out for 78km to Howth and back. Quite a few PRs on Strava including going up Howth. I didn’t think I was pushing much so that was a surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lovely sun out there today. 130 on the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

I was in the middle of a challenging workday yesterday when I remembered that I was going cycling afterward. I literally smiled to myself involuntarily.

A nice 42km spin followed that evening in glorious sunny weather with a lovely gentle tailwind. It also helped me to sleep like a log.

A few clip-in mishaps but no falls and no danger to other road users thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

76 kms this morning from Greystones Roundwood Laragh Rathdrum Rathnew Greystones. Beautiful weather. I've not been getting out much at all the last few months due to selling our apartment and moving to a new house and having to move back with my parents in the meantime! In the new place two weeks now so starting to get settled. Great to be back!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1550802963

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

did the lap de gaps route today - unreal day for it. Got a nice tan too,

Came across an unfortunate fella who went flying over a local's trailer and was laid up on the road down around the lakes. Ambulance called. Helmet was in bits - hopefully your OK John!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

decided to clear off May Gran Fondo today, puncture at 70km. Nothing with me as I've not got a puncture in the last 3 years with the gatorskins* so quick call to the wife and sitting around for 40 mins and back on the road...
    Puncture at 88km, :mad:. Luckily it was a slow leak so it survived 10km with me standing, leaning forwards to take as much weight off as possible. Had to walk the last 2km to get to the 100. Two cheap looking but not so cheap inner tubes from the local bike shop are the cause, don't usually got there but to another but thought I'd do it while in work as it was quick. Won't be going back there again that's for sure.

*apart from the 2cm shard of glass in it last week that required new inners in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Took my two kids on the Waterford Greenway ages 4 and 6. Went from Dungarvan to Durrow and back. Put a hand behind the 4 year old some of the way but they were otherwise unassisted. Including getting there they did 26km and loved it.
    Great spot with beautiful scenery and genuinely friendly locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

decided to clear off May Gran Fondo today, puncture at 70km. Nothing with me as I've not got a puncture in the last 3 years with the gatorskins* so quick call to the wife and sitting around for 40 mins and back on the road...
    Puncture at 88km, :mad:. Luckily it was a slow leak so it survived 10km with me standing, leaning forwards to take as much weight off as possible. Had to walk the last 2km to get to the 100. Two cheap looking but not so cheap inner tubes from the local bike shop are the cause, don't usually got there but to another but thought I'd do it while in work as it was quick. Won't be going back there again that's for sure.

*apart from the 2cm shard of glass in it last week that required new inners in the first place.

are you sure it's the tubes that are the problem? like you I had no punctures in years then 2 in about 20km on 1 ride recently - when I got home I discovered the sidewall of the tyre had a small burst in it and the tyres in general were pretty shot. changed tyres after that and no issues since in about 470km of riding on often rough roads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

might be worth checking the rim tape too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You've had the same tyres for 3 years? :eek: Therein lies your problem. Tyres deteriorate over time even when not used much.

No matter how puncture resistant your tyres are, always take spares. A Gator won't stand a chance with a nail or similar debris.

the tyres on my bike are three and a half years old, about 7k on them. still going strong, the wear indicators show there's life in them yet.
    only ever had one puncture, and that was a pinch flat due to low pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

the tyres on my bike are three and a half years old, about 7k on them. still going strong, the wear indicators show there's life in them yet....
    Tyres can have little wear but the rubber can deteriorate over time weakening the tyre and leading to possible blow outs.

Glorious morning out there. Usual Sunday morning 50km spin for me, everyone out on the road seemed to be in good form. Only issue was the st marks flies. Swallowed a couple and had one crawling around the inside of the lens of my glasses all the way up snowtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

But the bullet and went out on a club ride for the first time in 18 months, and first time I'd been out on the road even by myself in 8 months. In total 2hr 53m for 75 k with a 26km/hr average, with 530m of elevation. Happy that I could keep up with the group, gorgeous morning to be out on the roads. If we could only get weather like that the whole time....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

First time over the Sally gap since my accident last year and picked a perfect morning for it. Very slow thanks to carrying a bit of extra weight and lack of training but thoroughly enjoyable. Only 60k but I reckon I'll start adding to the distance over the summer. Even though I was out for just after 8am there were already loads of bikes in the hills. Great to see cycling is still on the increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

I'm not a cyclist by any means but I am drawn towards the idea of doing a few Greenways on my hybrid, not interested on racing just leisure at my own slow pace so to speak, I sort of have this vague idea of driving somewhere after work on a Friday evening, staying over in a guest house or hotel and then tackling a long cycle on one of these paths the next morning. Anybody done this? Any tips on best ones etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

youtube! wrote: »
    I'm not a cyclist by any means but I am drawn towards the idea of doing a few Greenways on my hybrid, not interested on racing just leisure at my own slow pace so to speak, I sort of have this vague idea of driving somewhere after work on a Friday evening, staying over in a guest house or hotel and then tackling a long cycle on one of these paths the next morning. Anybody done this? Any tips on best ones etc?

I think for the best answer and to avoid veering off thread that you're better off asking the question here in the greenway thread on this forum or here in the greenway thread on the environment & infrastructure forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

I think for the best answer and to avoid veering off thread that you're better off asking the question here in the greenway thread on this forum or here in the greenway thread on the environment & infrastructure forum.

Excellent thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Was introduced to Brown mtn today, was told that it's the longest uninterrupted climb in Wicklow

Set the tone for the rest of the spin, legs are tired now but had to go out with #2 child on his new bike this afternoon.

Got home and the missus hadn't set foot outside yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Severely hungover this morning, (wifeys surprise party last night) so managed to pour myself into bib tights and headed off. Managed 44km in the sun average 26km. Water bottle was empty for the first time on the home stretch. Felt a wee bit better after. Cure time now....

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Cruagh ,sally gap , djouce , shay Elliot. Glenmacnass. There is no single worse cyclist when the temperature is in the 20s than me.
    120km , 2200m. I thought I was going to puke from the heat quite a lot of the time.
    Give me 10 degrees and drizzle please.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Was down in Wicklow to see the OHs family and some friends. OH is staying down with her mam, and I've to work so brough the bike and cycled home from just past Rathdrum to Santry. It was still sunny and warm at 6.15 when I set off and did the military road for the first time.

63 kms in 2.5 hours. Salvaged something out of the weekend.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1554599340

I was only out for a short one this morning nothing to speak of distance wise but theres a centra ( John's in Drogheda) I pass on way home on that road that does lovely take away dinners and I kid you not I could smell curry being prepared nearly 600m away as I approached such was the wind direction. Not sure if it was drool or effort spit I wiped from my mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

are you sure it's the tubes that are the problem? like you I had no punctures in years then 2 in about 20km on 1 ride recently - when I got home I discovered the sidewall of the tyre had a small burst in it and the tyres in general were pretty shot. changed tyres after that and no issues since in about 470km of riding on often rough roads.

There are new tyres on the way now anyway as I'm not taking the chance. Still reckon it was the tubes though, inflated them underwater and the leaks are both from the inner side at the valve seem...
    You've had the same tyres for 3 years? :eek: Therein lies your problem. Tyres deteriorate over time even when not used much.
    Hey, they're used plenty! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Tyres can have little wear but the rubber can deteriorate over time weakening the tyre and leading to possible blow outs.

Since when have you ever had a tyre with little wear that had the opportunity to deteriorate over time? This is a fantasy shared by all your tyres that are worn thin at an early age while dreaming of the chance to deteriorate naturally over time and grow weak as a function of old age. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Did the Frank O’Rourke Memorial down in Wexford yesterday. What a glorious day for a race, certainly the nicest day out racing I’ve ever had! Secured my upgrade to A3 as well which made it all the sweeter. I had great plans to go out for a spin today but woke up feeling a bit like Bernard Black.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement