Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

80km around Meath - rathoath - kilcock - dunboyne back to west Dublin. Loving my new bike a storck aerfast. Great at eating up the miles and maintaining 30kph average over the spin without too much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Myself and my buddy who is doing Lejog with me are following a training plan, rest day today on the training plan... so we decided to do 'active rest' and cut our speed right down and go for a wander. Ended up doing 80kms and adding some hills, all done at the usual pace. Some pair of idiots we are.
    Some weather though, hopefully it's still the same at 6 in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Visited Blackamoor in the Peaks District for the first time today, having a go (and a few wide-eyed moments ...) on a trail called the 'Devils Elbow'. 1.5km of gnarr about sums that particular bit of trail up; technical and fast in equal measures. Glorious weather, thankfully shaded for much of it with natural forest, and also not as busy as I had expected between other mountain bikers & general foot traffic. My o/h decided to drop her inhaler on a second more technical trail and we were half-way around the loop to get to the top (already on country roads) when she noticed, so muggins had to go back and then push back up the trail to where she dropped the inhaler .... at the very start. Oh well; at least I got a free run out of it :D

Saturday was spent cheering on folk at the annual Steel City Downhill race, so not so much cycling as "about cycling" I suppose. 300 riders of all ages from the lil ripper category (11-12) right the way through to the grand veteran category (check out Pat Horscroft, aka "Granny McGnarly"), and some big name pro riders. Heres the pinkbike photo epic article; I'm sure videos will follow in short order.

Now to sort the bike for next weekend's Enduro race having been suitably inspired by a bank-holiday of mountain biking; which will all vanish when I'm faced with the 4am start next Sunday ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Down in Kerry for the weekend, brought the bike with me to get a spin in. The Rally of the lakes was on and a lot of the roads were closed for it. Had to settle for an unimaginative 50km of Kenmare to Sneem and back.

Planned to get out today at home after we got back but “had” to cut the grass as it was was becoming a jungle out there. Took the whole afternoon.

Feel like I wasted the weekend :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Brought my wife out on her new bike, which I bought her for her birthday - I got her a Trek Ibiza to reintroduce her to cycling, because she hasn't been on a bike since she was at school (30+ years ago). We went from Donnybrook to Dun Laoghaire (a Teddy's ice cream was the reward :D) and back - 20.2 km. She's delighted with herself (and the bike) and, after a few more ice cream runs, she wants to go to Howth village for lunch.

I had fun, but it was slow, so afterwards, I got on my road bike and did Donnybrook to Dalkey Hill, with another Teddy's on the way home :) (28km at 27km/h average - double our earlier average speed). First puncture in 10 years - Budweiser bottle on the Rock Road. CO2 cartridges rule! (never used one in anger before).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Just shy of 160km today out west - encountered rain - strong winds - heavy mist through low clouds around Leenane and sunshine on my way back in...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1555717626

• Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Miklos wrote: »
    Did the Frank O’Rourke Memorial down in Wexford yesterday. What a glorious day for a race, certainly the nicest day out racing I’ve ever had! Secured my upgrade to A3 as well which made it all the sweeter. I had great plans to go out for a spin today but woke up feeling a bit like Bernard Black.

Well done!!!

Did the A3 myself but couldnt complete the full race, getting there but finding A3 very tough.

Savage day for racing and hopefully summer picks up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Genuinely the most fun I've had on the bike. Singing along to Knights of Cydonia flying down from the gap towards Laragh as loud as my lungs would permit. Feels like I've gotten into my stride now just in time for sportive season.

Smoked a few others on nicer bikes on Bridge Rd which was a good ego boost.

ED E wrote: »
    Genuinely the most fun I've had on the bike. Singing along to Knights of Cydonia flying down from the gap towards Laragh as loud as my lungs would permit. Feels like I've gotten into my stride now just in time for sportive season.

Smoked a few others on nicer bikes on Bridge Rd which was a good ego boost.

It's not the bike that matters it's the engine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

My buddy proves that. He's on a seconhand aluminium lapierre with more hits than the beetles and he is collecting Dublin koms like they're nothing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

40 km after work. Good bike had a puncture that it didn't have when I finished yesterday so took the commuter/cyclo-cross and glad I did.

After the airport, I took some L roads I'd never done and ended up at a different part of Rolestown than normal, then came back via At. Margarets.

Roads were in rag order but they were winding, quiet and a nice break from the norm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

heh, i had that the other day going up snowtown - it's not a long hill by any stretch (5 mins for me to the top), but there was a chap in front of me decked out in all the gear on a really expensive looking bike; i passed him at the bottom - and was in the process of throwing away a banana skin at the top (having stopped for a drink and a banana) by the time he caught up at the top of the climb.

to be fair, he was on a tri bike. hills were probably not his bag.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I had someone pass me yesterday on Military Road that I'd previously passed. They had normal runners, alu bike and a flappy hi Viz.

I'm absolutely atrocious at descending though and he seemed far more relaxed than I ever would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.. there was a chap in front of me decked out in all the gear on a really expensive looking bike; i passed him at the bottom - and was in the process of throwing away a banana skin at the top (having stopped for a drink and a banana) by the time he caught up at the top of the climb.....
    I was going up Snowtown the other day, decked out in all my gear and on my very expensive Tri bike when I caught up with another cyclist who had to stop for a drink and banana at the top of this short climb.

What a loser!

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Down in Kerry for the weekend, brought the bike with me to get a spin in. The Rally of the lakes was on and a lot of the roads were closed for it. Had to settle for an unimaginative 50km of Kenmare to Sneem and back.

Planned to get out today at home after we got back but “had” to cut the grass as it was was becoming a jungle out there. Took the whole afternoon.

Feel like I wasted the weekend :(

https://www.husqvarna.com/ie/products/robotic-mowers/?gclid=CjwKCAjw8r_XBRBkEiwAjWGLlBizstZ91kPKwHj0cQNWov4ehHBOdR_Q2AFCNJsYGH1eBcjQJKy5NRoCJx0QAvD_BwE
    As I posted earlier, here's what you want / need.
    (No connection, honest, just a convert)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Can't see the attraction until they invent one which mows in beautiful straight lines and also rolls the lawn.

(I love mowing* anyway so i'd never get one and any of those posters who use that awful term 'cut the grass' shouldn't be let near one.)

* I don't have a lawn as I live on a street but I still manage to mow regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

Fantastic weekend - 285kms and 5250mts over the 3 days around the Dublin and Wicklow hils! Legs are toast!!! :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Can't see the attraction until they invent one which mows in beautiful straight lines and also rolls the lawn.
    lawns are utterly overrated! a green desert.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What a lovely weekend, only managed to get out yesterday for a spin up Howth. My climbing still leaves a lot to be desired, but I think I'm improving at least somewhat! My commute this morning was something else, pissing rain, got absolutely drenched, haven't had that in a long time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

190 km with almost 1600m over the weekend in gloriously sunny South East, once the early morning sea fog burned off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Cycling home from work I saw a middle-aged woman in sandals and jeans riding a city bicycle to which she had attached ... TT/aero bars. It was terrific. She was motoring along - breeze on her toes, hair billowing in the wind, rocking shades and a big smile on her face.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Cycling home from work I saw a middle-aged woman in sandals and jeans riding a city bicycle to which she had attached ... TT/aero bars. It was terrific. She was motoring along - breeze on her toes, hair billowing in the wind, rocking shades and a big smile on her face.

Brilliant !

out for a 36km spin this evening, just while my wife was doing her horseriding. beautiful evening if a little chilly, and i knocked out a 29.5km/h average, easily the fastest i've done, albeit on a relatively short spin.

Yeah found it much cooler than last night, almost perfect for me. Did about 30km myself. Actually stopped to admire a couple of horses in a field who came over to say hello. Made me wish I'd a carrot with me and not a banana which I was eating while stopped. Had no idea if banana agrees with horses or if the owner would appreciate me giving them anything so ate it myself while feeling a little guilty for not offering them some :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Just under 40km and 550m of climbing before breakfast. Finally getting back into it after about 4/5 months of having no drive to get out.

Actually stopped to admire a couple of horses in a field who came over to say hello. Made me wish I'd a carrot with me and not a banana which I was eating while stopped. Had no idea if banana agrees with horses or if the owner would appreciate me giving them anything so ate it myself while feeling a little guilty for not offering them some :o
    apparently they're fine for horses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 hansgruber at gmail.com

Kind of lame considering the distances covered in here but:...

I finished my first cycle today and I loved it!! It was a commute from work that took me through the City Centre and along the Quays. It wasn't that far, but I'm quite unfit at the moment so I was wrecked when I got in.

And thanks to the drivers that afforded me ample space.

Looking forward to tomorrow morning now!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

52km, 760M climbing.

But, the interesting part........ unexpectedly passed a friend outside someone's house, where they were working. Stopped for 5 min chat which was about cycling as he was saying he'd like to maybe try it. Went to head off. Combination of turning bike and body while on a slight slope and the evil nature of the Gods made me slip and couldn't get my right foot out of pedal so over I went.

Cycling in clips 10 years + and had NEVER fallen. Don't think he believed me. :( Morto!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

First tome put with new computer. Concentrated on cadence around 80/85 and kept it steady enough. Just shy of 26km with avg speed 27.5kph. Bit blustery, but after that winter..... It was a breeze:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Bilbao is a bloody hilly and easy to get lost in city!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement