Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Did from Athlone to Mullingar on the Greenway this morning with my auld lad. My first time doing anything over 50km.

80km with an average speed of 22.8. Fairly proud of that.

It was a lovely surface to cycle on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Quick spin out west this morning - calm, dry and sunny - pure heaven...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1566445658

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Lovely day for it. Had a lie on til 11 after doing the DIL in Malahide. 76km, legs in tatters! Now, let's go Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭dahat

80km or so today with climbing The Nire the main focus of my spin (5.5km @ 5%), while longish the surface isn't great on places but I do enjoy it.

I've been getting a niggle on my right knee last 10days and I really hope it doesn't get worse as my main target of the year is on June 2nd, physio booked for Friday so fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

A tale of 2 cycles...

It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times...

Readied the good bike last night. New tube in rear wheel, food,tubes, sun cream ready to go for the morning. Off I went towards my traditional airport warmup. Headed for Hollystown and Kilbride doing a loop via Clonee.

Slowed down at the dreaded Hollystown speed bumps and in avoiding them, think I hit something a bit hard. I carried on and soon stopped to check phone as I knew the OH would be in touch. That's when I noticed the rear wheel a bit soft. Pumped it up and nursed it home for 10ish km for a total of 52 km at 28.3 kmph. Would've been faster but for the slower last few km.

Back home with a coffee and scone I looked at my other bike. It never sees the sun, equally it never lets me down with punctures and such, even though I bring it along the crappiest roads I can find and canal paths.

To the airport again, but I turned elsewhere this time, channeling my inner Robert Frost and choosing the road less traveled. Went past Rolestown on some questionable surfaces and then back via St. Margarets. All in 50 km at 26.3 kmph.

Total of 102.5 in under 4 hrs.

Also, anyone who frequently cycles near the boot Inn at the airport. They've at last resurfaced that very small stretch of pot holed hell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's that new straight stretch towards the boot i keep meaning to head for. one of the quietest, best surfaced roads in dublin for the next while i'll bet, even if it's just for a km or two.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

there's that new straight stretch towards the boot i keep meaning to head for. one of the quietest, best surfaced roads in dublin for the next while i'll bet, even if it's just for a km or two.

Sssh. It's the bit before that. Lovely bit of road, the North parralel road is great for uninterrupted cycling, other than the bumpy bits. The south one really depends on the drivers.

Dunbro lane is just off it too, crap road, but sometimes met a sheep and lamb there out in the road just doing there thing. Didn't know which farm they belong to to tell though.

Also, saw a big group of the Dublin Wheelers as they passed through Kilbride. Got a wave from the lot of them, and returned in kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Westportif 160. Spectacular views. The road through Finny by Loughnafooey to lough Mask is a ridiculously scenic quiet road with fun descents and an interesting little switchback kicker at the end.
    Great day out. Superb organization by the Westport Coveys as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Left at 6.30am and headed out towards Portmarnock, Malahide on to Rush and Balbriggan. Back via Rush again and then on in to Drumcondra, town and home. We wanted to get the 100 in and time was limited. It was very busy early on given all the absolute heroes who got up to do Darkness Into Light.

Nice pints of Guinness after and now sitting at Bamma enjoying a few more pints and watching grown men kick the ****e out of each other. Great day all in all!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

drove to rush via lusk yesterday. not a road i'd like to cycle at rush (!) hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Left at 6.30am and headed out towards Portmarnock, Malahide on to Rush and Balbriggan. Back via Rush again and then on in to Drumcondra, town and home. We wanted to get the 100 in and time was limited. It was very busy early on given all the absolute heroes who got up to do Darkness Into Light.

Nice pints of Guinness after and now sitting at Bamma enjoying a few more pints and watching grown men kick the ****e out of each other. Great day all in all!

Nice little route you had out. I'm living in Portmarnock and I've actually never cycled up to Skerries and beyond. I must give it a go soon, looks like a nice one.

Howth loop for me this morning, wanted to push it hard going up through the village but just couldn't keep the pace up for whatever reason. Nice day out all the same! Always glad to get a cycle that's not a commute in.

drove to rush via lusk yesterday. not a road i'd like to cycle at rush (!) hour.

I've done it quite a few times and I think WA has his own private lane on that road. It's not as bad as it looks

So you're not a Rushfan????

rushfan wrote: »
    So you're not a Rushfan????

I think we're the only ones... I was on the carbon beast today, no caressing any steel

In think we're the only ones... I was on the carbon beat today, no caressing any steel

Did you have a 21/12 ratio?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

61km around NCD this morning. Was quite cool so opted for arm and leg warmers. Quite a few out early today

https://www.strava.com/activities/1568888521

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

rushfan wrote: »
    Did you have a 21/12 ratio?

:)

I have a 2112 jersey!

Usual 50km around NCD this morning. Breezier than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Super day out there, nice round 100K out to Howth for a coffee in my favourite little coffee shop (Il Panorama). Gave it a bit of welly up Howth from Sutton and got 9:52 on the Hill climb segment that was done a while back. Loads and loads of cyclists out, brilliant to see. Only one close pass on the home stretch from a taxi driver.

I had a massive feed of beer last night and a dominos at 2am. Got out around 10, out to Howth, over the head and home quicker than I've ever done it before... that's just shy of 400kms this week, on top of a busy week in work. Lejog, let's be having ya :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

30km, 350M ascent in to headwind in west Clare. Turned, 4km. Broke chain :(

Usual 50km around NCD this morning. Breezier than expected.

That was my intended distance too, until I punctured somewhere near Ballyboughal. Called the team support car and got it sorted about 5mins before she arrived. Managed to limp home , total of 36km.

i had a westerly when i was leaving, but it had turned into a southerly by the time i crested the nags head. so the usual spin down through ballyboughal and roganstown turned into a bit of a slog.

there was a funeral in ballyboughal as i was passing through. wasn't sure if i should doff my helmet in respect as i passed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

A very pleasant 50km out to greystones and back via enniskerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

75 km up the Wicklow coast, stopped a couple of times for the Shay Elliot race and a couple of punctures. Knew the pawls on the hub were on the way out and they finally died 10 km from home.

Curses.... Called the team car and googled replacements. Think I might just treat myself to a nice wheel instead. Any recommendations at about 300? Quite like the Hope roadie ones as a mtber.

IMG_20180513_120356813.jpg

Cat 3 I think, cat 1&2 below.

IMG_20180513_113850140.jpg

IMG_20180513_120353879.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Bed at 4AM this morning, didnt make the group ride but fell out of the gaff after 10. After a bit of slogging it to keep on a Deeside lad up Ballinascorney the legs started to come back to me. After that and a shower I feel like a human again.

Glenmacnass picnic point down is magnifique. Places like that tempt me to buy a portable drone (Spark) to capture.

95 clicks, 1280m @ 25km/h avg - 96% moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭531

Cycling through Ráthnew, noticed all the marshals. Asked what was on and it was Shay Elliot. Got asked if I would help marshal a roundabout so duly obliged before carrying on on my merry way. Break was welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

120km on the club sportive around Lough Derg

Glorious weather. Tanked at the end as I was a cycle marshal. Spent most of the day at the front and when not. I was helping stragglers get back to the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Left the house at 6am and drove for 2+ hours to do a mini-Enduro MTB race, organised by Northern Downhill, in between Durham & Newcastle; three stages (x2) run over red & black-graded trails with a full-on rain-induced slop-fest from last night which made practice on the black stage (#3) somewhat ... "interesting", before the sun came out and dried out much of the slop before race-start making some of the nuttier stuff rideable. I have no idea how much distance or elevation I did today (in either direction ... ) save to say that I did several practice runs and then two race-runs (which kicked off at 1pm and ended sometime after 3.30pm).

So much mud, and a lot of loose-rider moments with the back-end of the bike hanging out in the mud and off-camber roots (which where absolutely slimy by this point). Got pushed well and truly outside my comfort zone for parts of it, which is good. Got smoked like a fine cigar, but all in all a great day's cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

My second cycle ever on a road bike, first time with cycling shoes. Went from Fairview out to Sutton using the seafront cycle path. Came to the end of the cycle path and was planning on crossing over to the road cycle lane to continue up around howth. Couldnt get my shoes out of the pedals and ended up on the ground. Shook me a bit so decided to turn around. Had continued problems with getting shoes out of pedals on way home. When I got home I realised I was missing the top screw on cleats on both shoes. I didnt tighten them enough so cleats were moving when I was trying to get the shoes out.

Do people check the their cleats before each ride?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement