Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

HugoMyBoss wrote:
    Do people check the their cleats before each ride?

Shouldn't be necessary once they are tightened correctly in the 1st place!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

HugoMyBoss wrote: »
    C3PO wrote: »
    Shouldn't be necessary once they are tightened correctly in the 1st place!

As C3PO says, they should stay tight if tightened properly, but additionally be sure to put some grease or even Vaseline on the threads of the bolts on assembly, as rain-spray from the front wheel causes them to seize in the shoes if not - I've had to drill out customers' ones more times that I care to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

HugoMyBoss wrote:
    My second cycle ever on a road bike, first time with cycling shoes. Went from Fairview out to Sutton using the seafront cycle path. Came to the end of the cycle path and was planning on crossing over to the road cycle lane to continue up around howth. Couldnt get my shoes out of the pedals and ended up on the ground. Shook me a bit so decided to turn around. Had continued problems with getting shoes out of pedals on way home. When I got home I realised I was missing the top screw on cleats on both shoes. I didnt tighten them enough so cleats were moving when I was trying to get the shoes out.

Don't worry, it's happened everyone at first I'd say. Bit of practice clicking in & out beside a wall & you'll be fine in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Check the tension on the pedals too. If they are very tight, it puts extra pressure on the cleats causing them to loosen.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

Type 17 wrote: »
    As C3PO says, they should stay tight if tightened properly, but additionally be sure to put some grease or even Vaseline on the threads of the bolts on assembly, as rain-spray from the front wheel causes them to seize in the shoes if not - I've had to drill out customers' ones more times that I care to think about.

Will do, I did this when putting the pedals on, but didnt think about it with the cleats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'd say everyone who has started using clipless pedals has had that moment where they failed to clip out and ended up on the ground. It happened to me last year and I've been using them for years (I pulled up the back of a line of traffic and just forgot I was clipped in - so much worse when loads of people watch you hit the deck though at least I didn't go under a bus).

They do loosen up with usage IME which makes it quicker to clip out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Nice little route you had out. I'm living in Portmarnock and I've actually never cycled up to Skerries and beyond. I must give it a go soon, looks like a nice one.

some nice routes on the back roads that will bring you to skerries and beyond and also avoid the N1 and big traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

saccades wrote: »
    75 km up the Wicklow coast, stopped a couple of times for the Shay Elliot race and a couple of punctures. Knew the pawls on the hub were on the way out and they finally died 10 km from home.

Curses.... Called the team car and googled replacements. Think I might just treat myself to a nice wheel instead. Any recommendations at about 300? Quite like the Hope roadie ones as a mtber.

What hubs? Many of them are serviceable. Might be just a matter of cleaning and oiling...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Sat : headed out to blessington and did the lake drive spin, lovely weather 70 km avg just about 27 kph

Sun: did a meandering spin on some new roads and on some roads I hadn't been on for some time. Headed across to ballyedmund and on towards Boolavogue, left turn at soccer pitch on a winding rolling road that eventually brings you up to raheenduff, right turn for Oulart and left out to main road. Straight across down a new for me road that eventually ends up at graveyard at top of Kilmuckridge. Stayed on coast road to Ballygarrett and on to Killenagh and home. 50km avg 25 kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

cdaly_ wrote: »
    What hubs? Many of them are serviceable. Might be just a matter of cleaning and oiling...

Ah here, stop dismantling his fact based story which concludes with brand new wheels :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Saturday: did my first 50km cycle with my brother ; 53.6 km in 2h 10, up hill and down dale. In training for the Ring of Kerry 180km in July.
    Sunday: did 19km in 1h 7 mins, local stuff in West Wicklow. Lots of hills.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

HugoMyBoss wrote: »
    My second cycle ever on a road bike, first time with cycling shoes. Went from Fairview out to Sutton using the seafront cycle path. Came to the end of the cycle path and was planning on crossing over to the road cycle lane to continue up around howth. Couldnt get my shoes out of the pedals and ended up on the ground. Shook me a bit so decided to turn around. Had continued problems with getting shoes out of pedals on way home. When I got home I realised I was missing the top screw on cleats on both shoes. I didnt tighten them enough so cleats were moving when I was trying to get the shoes out.

Fell off at lesson street bridge coming back from Howth on first ever spin. Cleats came loose.
    Zero injuries to me or my bike but a serious injury to my ego .
    I tightened them properly , it never happened again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

This morning there was an incident outside Our Lady’s Grove, Goatstown Road. One car was upside down on its roof, and the road was scraped indicating, it slid along before coming to a stop. Another car nearby which was a bit banged up in the front, perhaps hit by this car.

How does a car end up like this if it’s going less than 50kph and going outward, uphill. I am assuming it was not inbound as traffic is too heavy to get up speed. It must have been ripping it (outside a school, at peak traffic time). The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

You don't need high speeds to roll a car over - if you hit things just right (wrong), you can flip it - here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljlZqd5qot4

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

must go out and try that tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Type 17 wrote:
    You don't need high speeds to roll a car over - if you hit things just right (wrong), you can flip it - here's an example:

Gee's taxi driver was concerned about fate of people in the car wasn't he.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Best of luck with that secman. Hope it goes alright.

Good news this morning, all clear on the growth removed 3 weeks ago TG....dont forget the sun screen especially these days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Type 17 wrote: »
    You don't need high speeds to roll a car over - if you hit things just right (wrong), you can flip it - here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljlZqd5qot4

That’s freaky alright, but car just went over and stopped. The taxi behind just overtook and cleared off, like nothing happened!

With the scrapes on the road from the roof, my thought was yesterdays driver was going faster and car in video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

secman wrote: »
    Good news this morning, all clear on the growth removed 3 weeks ago TG....dont forget the sun screen especially these days

Ah that's brilliant. I was keeping an eye on your posts for an update.

Delighted for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

17km into work this morning, lovely and crisp.

But the best bit... of the 33 odd traffic lights along the route there were only 2 reds! (1 was just outside the office)
    What are the odds of that!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this morning i was waiting at lights at the junction of griffith avenue/malahide road, and spotted a tiny little bird disappearing into a hole about an inch across at the top of one of the traffic light poles. emerged a couple of seconds later, must be a nest in there. not sure what sort of bird it was, it was in silhouette.

loyatemu wrote: »
    I'd say everyone who has started using clipless pedals has had that moment where they failed to clip out and ended up on the ground. It happened to me last year and I've been using them for years (I pulled up the back of a line of traffic and just forgot I was clipped in - so much worse when loads of people watch you hit the deck though at least I didn't go under a bus).

They do loosen up with usage IME which makes it quicker to clip out.

isn't that one of the unwritten "Rules" of cycling, that it only ever happens when their is an audience?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Left work at 5.30 and headed towards Tallaght and up Gunny Hill and on up to View Point. Fancied a coffee so went on to Foxes, got talking to a woman out solo also at foxes so we kept each other company for the rest, Enniskerry, scalp, step and back to D8.

Beautiful evening to be up there, bit chilly near the end though. I'm so slow up the hills but at least I'm getting up them I suppose

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Snuck out yesterday lunch for what's become a regular spin for me up to Massey's wood and on up to the Hellfire club in what was fantastic weather. Mentioned it to the youngest (14) yesterday evening and she was determined to take the spin up to Massey's, so we did. She got up Cruagh Road, Cruagh lane handily enough with just a couple of short breathers, followed by a short bit of off road in the mud which she loved. Delighted for her as she hasn't been on the bike in yonks, and also chuffed that family cycling in the evenings is back on the cards.

Reckon I'll get her up to the Hellfire by the end of the summer

450953.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Got out of my boring course a little early today so got out for 65km around NCD. Nearly got mashed into the hedge by a coach that overtook me and pulled in halfway past me. The @sshat stopped 200 yards up the road to drop off kids and hurled abuse at me as I passed him at the junction he was stuck at, immediately after his stop. He was still shouting and blowing his horn as he headed left towards Balrothery while I turned off towards Man o War. I’ll send a snotty email to his company but doubt it will do any good.

Apart from that, and the cramp I got just after this incident, it was a good spin as I averaged 30.1km/h

https://www.strava.com/activities/1577911795

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Just back from work, decided to cycle to give me 102km total for the day. Happy out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Went to go to work on the bike and discovered a spoke gone on the rear wheel. Time for plan B.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Club league out at Dorey's Forge last night... hanging on to the scratch lads on the way to the race, blown out by them in the race, then more hanging on on the way home. I think the my average speed on the way home was faster than in the race! Still knackered this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭Plastik

Miklos wrote: »
    Club league out at Dorey's Forge last night... hanging on to the scratch lads on the way to the race, blown out by them in the race, then more hanging on on the way home. I think the my average speed on the way home was faster than in the race! Still knackered this morning.

Sounds like a perfect club league Thursday night to me. That's what it's all about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I nipped out last night with the intentions of doing around 50kms, the legs were fierce heavy last night, it's been a long, stressful MTD between work and exams and I've been hard at the training so tiredness was bound to catch up. Headwind out the coast and up over Howth Head, down into the village and on home. I thought I would be super slow, turns out I dd it in my 2nd best time. I am taking a day off today though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement