Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

saccades wrote: »
    ... and managed to leave my pump at work..
    I was 55k into my ride this morning when it suddenly dawned on me that I had forgotten to take my mini-pump. Funny how there suddenly seemed to be glass and other sharp debris everywhere! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Got my first race win last night. We've amalgamated with 2 other small clubs to do an inter club league. It's going really well in my opinion averaging about 40-50 riders out. I'm in the semi scratch group. We held off the scratch for the second week in a row. Last time out I left the sprint a bit late and came 2nd. No way that was happening again!!! Went with about 200 yards to go on a 3% drag and held on by a bike length. Delighted.
    On a somewhat sour note one of the groups had to abandon after an absolute fking psychopath jumped out of his car and start flinging punches and grabbed a marshal screaming about "f...ing cyclists holding up the road"
    I'm not sure what's going to happen but if it was me, he'd be in custody now. Utter lunatic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

A rare day off work at the moment and had things to scan/copy/email etc. home scanner decided to not play so span into and out of work to use theirs.
    38km round trip but didn’t leave enough time to get home and get the car after, so had to pick the youngest up on the bike and walk her home. She loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Yesterday morning 6am, 10 of us plus support crew of 4 left the fire station in Dublin airport and cycled to Westport for charity. Baltic when we left but warmed up by 8am or so. Tough going at times, managed around 220km of the 266km myself, the last 10km into Westport was torture. 5 of the lads are running a marathon on the Greenway atm, not me though. I'm support crew today. We'll rehydrate later!!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Just an easy 25k as doing 95k on Sunday. Still having problems with numb feet/toes after about an hour:-( but will give it a good lash on Sunday. Boy was it hot yesterday:-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

home from work, stopped at Teddies in Dun Laoghaire for a 99 in the sun. Must be some "special" ingredient in their ice cream as I broke a bunch of PRs on the remainder of the ride (or it could have been the tail wind :) ). Beautiful evening for a cycle, especially heading into the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Tour of connamara 140k. 27k average speed. Underestimated the hills in the last 50 km. Enjoyable day all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Did the Tour de Connemara 140km yesterday. With a 20km detour out to Renvyle for a few pints. One of the lads was out there a few weeks ago and said it had the best pint of Guinness he ever had. We gate crashed a wedding and got a pic with the bride & groom ðŸ˜

160 for the day. Avg dropped to 25kmph over the last 30km. Not sure was that because of the hill or the pints ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Daroxtar wrote:
    Got my first race win last night. We've amalgamated with 2 other small clubs to do an inter club league. It's going really well in my opinion averaging about 40-50 riders out. I'm in the semi scratch group. We held off the scratch for the second week in a row. Last time out I left the sprint a bit late and came 2nd. No way that was happening again!!! Went with about 200 yards to go on a 3% drag and held on by a bike length. Delighted. On a somewhat sour note one of the groups had to abandon after an absolute fking psychopath jumped out of his car and start flinging punches and grabbed a marshal screaming about "f...ing cyclists holding up the road" I'm not sure what's going to happen but if it was me, he'd be in custody now. Utter lunatic

Was chatting to some of your lads on the Gap yesterday watching the Ras and they were telling me about that. Lunatic behaviour from him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looks like i got out at the right time, a 95% dry spin.
    there was a 10k foot race finishing in garristown as i was passing through. i resisted the temptation to cycle through the finish line pumping my fists in the air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Finished my first sportive:-) New Inn. Learned a lot from it in preparation for the Croi 120k. Total: 94.78k, 3hr39min15sec, avg 26kph. Think I solved my foot problem. No pain at all in them today:-) Tomorrow, however everything may be hurting......Think I earned a few pints tonight....Weather was cool starting off, but warmed up, and there was a grand breeze:-) Funny thing, brain wasn't working too well at the last stop, and I headed off with my helmet still sitting on the wall. Luckily someone pointed out I had no helmet just 100Metres up the road lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Mick Byrne 200 today. Or to be precise, 200 lite. I started the 200 but knew I'd struggle with it having done a lot less this year than expected so when I came to the turn for the 160, I took it. A very rare wise decision on my behalf. I had a really genuine good feeling inside 10 minutes later when I looked at the Garmin and saw that instead of having 120 km to go, I had passed the halfway point.

That good feeling stayed with me all the way to the finish, despite the suffering on the Sally Gap. Tbh that wasn't even that bad as I had a slight tailwind for a lot of it. The weather was pretty close to perfect for cycling apart from a very heavy and cold fog on the descent from Kippure to the Glencree turn. The route is just fantastic. Rambling along on deserted bohreens in the sunshine with a thousand nothings in my head was bliss.

I rolled up home in about 6:50 moving time after taking a couple of unplanned detours around Dalkey and the legs were fine although I'd have dreaded being on the 200, probably only coming into laragh at that stage.

I got to meet up with Wishbone Ash, Daragh C, P1, Devon P Salthill and Nameless Phil at the start. The food was seriously tasty, I'm not used to paté and crackers on the sportives I usually do but I will be requesting them in future!
    So next year I will intend on doing the 200 again but I enjoyed today so much that I might just sneak off on the 160 again :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/1599752296

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Quick 80km, into the wind towards Dublin clinging to a tow from an A3 and almost A2 who are machines then back home with a tailwind.

First time I've been fit enough to do up and overs this year and got a pb on rathnew hill so it looks like the fitness is returning.

Had an old man nap (stamina is still lagging) then serviced the car and cut the lawn.

Quality Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Tour de Connemara yesterday . Great day for it.
    140km @25kph average. Great atmosphere.

332kms with 4.500 climbing - great day in the saddle.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1600526902

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Today I learned a valuable lesson. Don't show up to your longest and most vertical ride in bits with a hangover!

By gods, that was tough! Incredibly worthwhile but tough! Shared the lanterne rouge but glad to say we both got in before half 9. Slieve Mann almost broke me but I got over it after a few chats to imaginary sheep.

Incredibly well organised event and great chatting to WA, Daroxtar and NamelessPhil. Apologies for being possibly still drunk!

Ireland, next time you make history please don't do it the day before a big ride!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1600460223

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Finished my first sportive:-) New Inn. Learned a lot from it in preparation for the Croi 120k. Total: 94.78k, 3hr39min15sec, avg 26kph. Think I solved my foot problem. No pain at all in them today:-) Tomorrow, however everything may be hurting......Think I earned a few pints tonight....Weather was cool starting off, but warmed up, and there was a grand breeze:-) Funny thing, brain wasn't working too well at the last stop, and I headed off with my helmet still sitting on the wall. Luckily someone pointed out I had no helmet just 100Metres up the road lol

Had a similar issue with the outer edges of my feet going numb. Got a bike fit and my cleat position was completely off (along with nearly everything else :pac: ). After the bike fit all aches and pains were gone and it help improve the amount off power i was able to get down which helped improve my fitness. Went from averaging between 27-32 KPH to between 31-36 on my commute wind depending. Best upgrade i ever got for the bike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

In beginners' news, my wife continues to impress herself, with a successful 37km return run from Donnybrook to Howth (av still low at 16.6km/h). She mentioned detouring to Malahide next time.

Her backside is sore and legs are a bit stiff, but I reminded her of Rule 5, and she agreed, saying that it never gets easier, you just go faster*

*May not be an exact quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Type 17 wrote: »
    In beginners' news, my wife continues to impress herself, with a successful 37km return run from Donnybrook to Howth (av still low at 16.6km/h). She mentioned detouring to Malahide next time.

Her backside is sore and legs are a bit stiff, but I reminded her of Rule 5, and she agreed, saying that it never gets easier, you just go faster*

*May not be an exact quote.

That's a great cycle and distance for a beginner. Fair play, and as you say speed comes later so I wouldn't worry.

I had a lovely sprint commute this morning, 31km/h average and at 19C it was beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

What a day to be out on the bike. Was very tempted to go straight past the office and deal with the consequences tomorrow!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Felexicon wrote: »
    What a day to be out on the bike. Was very tempted to go straight past the office and deal with the consequences tomorrow!!

It's always suspect if you ring in sick for work on a scorching day and turn up the following day scorched with sun burn!

I did my first spin out to Blessington on Saturday, via Tallaght and Brittas. I went off the beaten track on the way into Blessington and went down some lovely quiet, bumpy roads.

A very slow 40km, i'd an average speed of 19kmph. I did a fair bit of meandering with my mouth open. Nice area. The wind on the way back was stiff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Just 52km today, really warm obviously. Great to be out in light gear. Anytime I'm watching a documentary about space travel, seeing the astronauts getting dressed for launch reminds me of getting the winter clobber on. Seems to take as long. Not that there's 3 or 4 helpers, mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

beautiful evening out there. felt good about breaking 30km/h for the first time, got back and had managed 29.8km/h. argh.
    was on a 41km loop i sometimes do, thornton hall-oldtown-ballyboughal-naul-garristown and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Just remembered dropped from Sally gap to Liffey bridge last night lad parked on the side of the road half way on the steep part playing a violin full blast! The things you see...should have taken a photo!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Just remembered dropped from Sally gap to Liffey bridge last night lad parked on the side of the road half way on the steep part playing a violin full blast! The things you see...should have taken a photo!

there's a guy plays the bagpipes on the beach in Greystones - I assume his Mrs. has banned him from practising at home!

Ridiculous amount of cyclists commuting this morning, great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

35k. city centre, Johnny foxes, pine Forrest, rathfarnham, .city centre. Ate a whole load of flies up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

70kms @29kph. Quite speedy for me. All around north Kildare

loyatemu wrote: »
    there's a guy plays the bagpipes on the beach in Greystones - I assume his Mrs. has banned him from practising at home!...
    Well you know what they say about the definition of a gentleman - a lad who can play the bagpipes but doesn't!

good god, it's muggy out there this morning. i dialled it back a bit on the commute but still arrived into work in a lather.

at one point on the way in, just south of the east link, a cement truck braked hard in front of me for no apparent reason. it was only a second or two later i realised why, he braked to avoid running over a foolhardy squirrel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

good god, it's muggy out there this morning. i dialled it back a bit on the commute but still arrived into work in a lather.

at one point on the way in, just south of the east link, a cement truck braked hard in front of me for no apparent reason. it was only a second or two later i realised why, he braked to avoid running over a foolhardy squirrel.

It is very extremely close out there. I was in behind a bus this morning on O'Connell Bridge, when it moved off it blasted out a ton of black smoke and covered me. I was right in line with the bloomin' exhaust.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement