Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

120km ,2040m of Wicklow gap , Slieve Maan and Shay Elliot, Sally gap at one of the lowest average speeds ever recorded by a human .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Up to Ballygarrett and on to courtown, Ballymoney and coast road to Castletown and on to Arklow rock. Back via old n11 to inch and on to Gorey. Back diwn to courtown and coast road back to Ballygarrett and home. 67.5 km avg speed of 27.5 kph. Beautiful weather in sunny South East.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

had to do an emergency stop earlier due to - whatever way i flicked my head or craned my neck - a deluge of sweat into my eyes temporarily blinding me. shouldn't complain, it was a lovely evening out there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

kept having a guy try and undertake me at lights.

Passed him and then stopped at the various lights on the rock road, maybe a foot out from the pavement. Everytime the lights went green he pedalled like a mad man to get up the inside. Eventually got a long stretch and pulled away.

Odd behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

I managed 100km yesterday evening after work around sligo. First ride since a bike fit last week, during which the position of my shifters was moved, I guess this put some extra tension on the cable as I couldn't get the lower 3 cogs on the cassette, it only became a problem when speed reached the late 30's.

Any lower back pain I normally had didn't reappear, but my legs were tighter then is usual, so I guess I need to get used to the new(higher) position.

Lovely evening for it
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1619619989

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Very enjoyable spin on the gravel bike out the Royal Canal to Maynooth. Except for the deep sinking the canal path is very enjoyable, especially in the summer.

I rode back on the road via Leixlip and found a lovely secluded lane through/past Catherine's Park that led me directly onto the Strawberry Beds and home via Phoenix Park. Really good fun and very little traffic on the route except for the stretch from Maynoth to Leixlip.

Looking at the map though, I was wondering, can you avoid that stretch by cutting through Carton House? It seems like you can, especially on a bike that can do off-road? Anyone know?

Heading back in earlier I was behind a Tom Tom car out doing street view mapping from the looks of the camera on it's roof. Couldn't resist sitting up and striking a pose when I got up close :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Missus Doubtfire

"I was wondering, can you avoid that stretch by cutting through Carton House?"

From the Main Street in Maynooth (did you notice the cycle lane is up through the CENTRE of the footpath?) just as it twists right towards Tesco you can go straight on through a little park (Carton Way). This will bring you to the side entrance of Carton House. Follow the path/road and as you come to the bridge off to your left keep to the right and it will bring you back out onto the Maynooth Road at Pike Bridge. You can rejoin the canal here or keep on the road back to Leixlip

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Out for my first pre-work spin in too long this morning and not feeling great .

After a longish climb up Barrow road m and a short descent into Glencullen I was passed by three French* Triathletes**...who rapidly decelerated to...less than my pace and just sort of floated in a broad triangle (a menage a trois
    ) ahead of me going slow while traffic built up behind.

Had to get past and away from them or there'd be an Exchange of ill tempered words. The road broadened after a bend and I hit the gas. Passed, dropped them and tried to keep it up over the next gentle climb, before cooling my heels a bit on the Tibbradden descent that can get out of hand very quickly. After that there's a bone rattling drag for about 3km up to the viewpoint and my legs are shaking any time I let up on cadence. I heard a French accented laugh of relief behind me and don't ease off.

Suddenly I'm at the last descent back towards Dublin and work with not a Triathlete in sight...anyway that's how I set 9 new PRs this morning...

*They were chatting in French
    **confirmed by 1 set TT bars on a nice Btwin + one baselayer worn instead of a jersey + 2 pairs running shoes x 1 pair Tri shoes = Triathletes

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

Takca wrote: »
    ... First ride since a bike fit last week, during which the position of my shifters was moved, I guess this put some extra tension on the cable as I couldn't get the lower 3 cogs on the cassette...

Found the problem, the shifter cable had frayed half way through unside the shifter, the frayed bits weren't letting the cable out enough. Cable replaced and should be good to go again. So not related to the bike fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Late spin out to Howth today , never seen as many cyclists out there . Was like a stage of the TDF . Bizzarely French accents everywhere too . Passed a few packs of French lads . Was tempted to mention Thierry Henry but decided to finally let it go !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just the work commute this morning - lovely morning - but finally managed to beat the three minute mark on the top half of newtownpark avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭positron

Did the Dundrum-Drogheda commute yesterday evening (Just the return leg. Got bus in the morning).

Slow, flat yet tiring. It was so warm, I was looking for shade the whole way. There was pleasant cross-wind, could have been a lot worse without it. Garristown/Naul type small roads would be better for shade - fingers crossed I haven't jinxed it buy saying that!!

Distance: 56.95km
    Moving Time: 2h 24m 33s
    Elapsed Time: 2:40:07
    Elevation: 287m
    Avg Speed: 23.6km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Just a quick 25k spin to keep the legs loose yesterday evening, man it was warm, Will probably do 40k this evening, Croi 120k on Sunday...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

66km club spin on Tuesday night and a solo 45km Spin last night both at a decent pace (for me) I love and hate the heat at the same time

Our Club is hosting the Munster TT championships this Sat and had a practice run last night for people to try it. I popped out to see how they were getting on. It’s not a flat route and they were under serious pressure with the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Back cycling the last few weeks for the first time in a few years. Training to do ROK later. Nice cycle last night down around Kinsale, weather was perfect.

Distance: 62.34 km
    Elevation Gain: 811 m
    Time: 2h 30m
    Avg Speed: 24.9km/h

This was my longest and hilliest cycle to date, but also my best avg speed, so I'm definitely building my bike fitness. Planning to push it up by another few KM's on Friday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Very very different spin today,
    I was lucky enough to be invited to a track day in Mondello park, so we spun around the track in 28 dg , at about a 30 avg and one hell of a wind on the nose the long straight for 30 km...it's a 1.5km loop..dizzy !!!
    What a buzz......no potholes, no cars Deadly !!
    And when we finished we had bit of grub which was a bad idea timewise......
    As we then jumped in to a BMW M4 and M2 for a rattle around the track driven by the pros....
    Holy feck , 165kmph top speed sideways most of the time, took the garmin for the craic, avg 77kmph over 3km.
    Deadly buzz and a few grand raised for charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Beautiful day to cycle into work, beat a bunch of PRs on the way, the council have patched some of the holes on the Rock Road and done a half decent job too. One close pass from a truck in Bray, but otherwise no real aggro. I assume this long term good weather is now permanent and it'll never rain again?

beautiful morning out there. i've been taking just pure water out with me in the bottle of late, so i can rinse the sweat off my glasses and off my face. shouldn't complain...

50km around NCD, including a couple of roads i've not been on before, between the R130 and the N2 around garristown. nice rolling hills and quiet enough roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Did the Croi cycle this morning - 114km - averaged 29kmph very happy with that...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1629175897

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Didn't have a huge amount of time to get out today, but made the absolute most of it. A regular enough route towards Naul and Back, taking in Snowtown too.

74.5 km at 30kmph solo. Not sure I've ever maintained that sort of average outside of a group over 30km

https://www.strava.com/activities/1629945950

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I lost me greenway V card today. A lovely relaxed 60km spin after a night out in Waterford.
    Had a great day still trying to figure out how mist of the 60km was downhill even though we came back the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

66km around NCD this afternoon. Didn’t see many folk out, must have all been in Wicklow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

33km this evening avg 29.7km/h, set a PR on every segment along the way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Roasted after doing a loop around Bray>Sally Gap>Enniskerry>Bray.

My back brake has developed the most amazing screech that Ive ever heard on a bike if you tap the lever instead of squeezing it, Im not even going to fix it, its like having a car horn built into the bike for letting people know you're behind them now.

disk or caliper?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

66km around NCD this afternoon. Didn’t see many folk out, must have all been in Wicklow...

Some of us were in Croker!!

we need a boards secret signal for identifying each other on the road. given my usual stomping ground for leisure spins is garristown/oldtown/naul/ballyboughal, it's pretty certain i've nodded hello to a few boardsies in my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Back cycling the last few weeks for the first time in a few years. Training to do ROK later. Nice cycle last night down around Kinsale, weather was perfect.

Distance: 62.34 km
    Elevation Gain: 811 m
    Time: 2h 30m
    Avg Speed: 24.9km/h

This was my longest and hilliest cycle to date, but also my best avg speed, so I'm definitely building my bike fitness. Planning to push it up by another few KM's on Friday evening.

59.9 KM Friday night. Cork city to Kinsale and back. Took different route this time. Felt tired but managed a better average speed so happy with that.

Distance: 59.9 km
    Elevation Gain: 656 m
    Time: 2h 19m
    Avg Speed: 25.7km/h

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

we need a boards secret signal for identifying each other on the road. given my usual stomping ground for leisure spins is garristown/oldtown/naul/ballyboughal, it's pretty certain i've nodded hello to a few boardsies in my time.

I must have passed you many times, my usual route these days, I done 75k around them parts Saturday morning

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement