Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

hesker wrote: »
    Bigger than this?

Hard to judge but very close - had sprinkles and sauce too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Seadin

Did 105km today. Savage weather. It's a joy to cycle in this weather :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

To work, five miles / 8 km into town, moderate to light traffic, nothing of great note, except the crank bearings seem to be on the way out again, which shouldn't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Did 107km yesterday, starting at 9 from Valleymount, over Ballinascorney past the army camp, down the other side and up Glenasmole and onto Sally Gap, down to Laragh via Glenmacnass, home via Wicklow Gap and Hollywood.
    Heat was unreal and the difference it makes is savage.
    25.9kmph average, about 1600m or so climbing, really felt the last climb into Hollywood over Slieve Corragh.

loyatemu wrote: »
    Wicklow is God's own country on a day like today (insert your own deity of choice here...)

also, this is a bollox of a climb, but worth it for the views: https://www.strava.com/segments/5060755

454098.jpg

What climb is that? Nice pic. You're right about Wicklow. And I've no God to give credit to for it!

• Advertisement

nilhg wrote: »
    7 of us from the club headed off early this morning to do most of the old Wicklow Peaks sportive route, Sally Gap from Blessington, Luggala, Roundwood, Laragh, Shay Elliot, Slieve Maan, Ballinabarney Gap, Glen of Immal and Dunlavin.

One of the lads punctured half way up SM and had trouble getting himself sorted, so I got a few bonus KM's dropping back down to him to supervise.

With the spin over from and back to Kildare, and my in and out from home I got todays total up to 160km and 2300+M

Glorious up there today

https://www.strava.com/activities/1659362833

Thats savage! What club? I'd love to join for that route alone :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

terrydel wrote: »
    What climb is that? Nice pic. You're right about Wicklow. And I've no God to give credit to for it!

I think it's called Trooperstown Hill - short but very sharp (I had to take a breather halfway up).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so that's looking up towards with wicklow gap, with glendalough behind the hill on the left?

so that's looking up towards with wicklow gap, with glendalough behind the hill on the left?

I think it's Glenmacnass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

Thats savage! What club? I'd love to join for that route alone :P

Kildare CC, routes not always like that unfortunately but we try and mix things up every so often:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think it's Glenmacnass.
    Haven't been up those roads since they were paved - they've done a few around the area that were gravel/ dirt roads. I think the Annamoe to the Oldbridge road has been done as well - certainly the bottom has in Annamoe up past the Glendalough Estate.

I think it's called Trooperstown Hill - short but very sharp (I had to take a breather halfway up).

how did you get there? I've done the Rathdrum to Laragh road a few times and really enjoy it (Apart from that f***ing ski slope in the middle of Rathdrum:mad:).

I'd quite like to take a detour and take in that climb

Aegir wrote: »
    how did you get there? I've done the Rathdrum to Laragh road a few times and really enjoy it (Apart from that f***ing ski slope in the middle of Rathdrum:mad:).

I'd quite like to take a detour and take in that climb

link to the Strava segment is in my post ^^^^

Looks like troopers town, around the corner heading towards the stump (on a Mtb).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭patrickc

I did about 40k this morning, (forgot to turn off battery saver so it didn't record)

I find this heat very hard to cycle in have to say.

I did order my new bike the other day which is a plus :)

link to the Strava segment is in my post ^^^^

I know, i was just after a route suggestion, that's all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Bottom of booterstown avenue this morning, for some reason traffic was very heavy on the rock road, I was a few bikes behind the lights and we got a green and then a almight horn honk from the truck who was also at the lights.

A car had taken the left lane (against traffic) down booterstown avenue to zip get onto the rock road, trucker at the very least got people to pause and at the very best potentially saved some serious injuries as a few motorocylists didnt take off as quick.

Couple of cyclists went over, younglad about 20 by the looks of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

54 Km around NCD. Bit cooler this morning so was nice for a spin. Had trouble deciding where to go, and before I knew it, I was almost home again...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1662966060

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

54 Km around NCD. Bit cooler this morning so was nice for a spin. Had trouble deciding where to go, and before I knew it, I was almost home again...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1662966060
    I thought it was just me that did that. Trying to map out a route as I go. 😂. Easy hour yesterday after a slogfest with new club on Sunday. ðŸ‘. Slow puncture about 5k from home. It was too warm to change it at the roadside so limped home instead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

55km clubs spin 30kmph avg, it was like cycling in soup, it was really warm. Had to have a few cold beers and a bbq when I got home

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

glorious out there. felt like someone had left the central heating on full blast.

Back on the Mtb for the first time since October?

Lost all ability to descend but had a blast.
    Loads of mtbers out on 3 rock, had a good natter with faces I hadn't seen in ages.

Felt about 18 when I got back to the car so stuck some tunes on stupid loud and deafened myself for the 60km home.

Sweet.

massive crowds around Ballsbridge, pedestrians on the road, taxis pulling in at random; a real obstacle course.
    "I wonder who's playing in the RDS".
    The feckin Killers? Are they that popular?

I stopped listening to them around 2008 , saw them play a small show in the Academy but didn't like anything they've put out since that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Just a 40k for me after work... Return to 110k spins after work seem a long way off... Looking back over my strava makes depressing reading...Sure i'll get back there... Hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Mondello... great fun!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Some morons reaching out and trying to push cyclists off/nudging into ditch with car on the way up Sally Gap this evening. :rolleyes:
    Be careful out there folks, sunshine seems to be evaporating the few brain cells these people have.

Edit: Other than that I had a fabulous post work spin in the hills this evening. Lough Tay looks fab in the sunshine.

i was afraid to go out in that heat...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Got a new bike today. Collected it just before lunch. Took it around the bypass during lunch a Quick 9km. There are two segments on it and got pbs on both :)

Took it out again this evening. Did a 25km leisurely with some friends. One who just got a bike and another who hadn’t been out on his in two years. Then went and did 30km by myself

• Advertisement

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Just a 40k for me after work... Return to 110k spins after work seem a long way off... Looking back over my strava makes depressing reading...Sure i'll get back there... Hopefully

End of march I had to sleep upright on the sofa as I couldn't walk up stairs, end of April I could slowly walk to the shops but was ****ed for the next couple of hours.

Would just about manage a club spin until recently but had to have a 2 hour kip afterwards.

Last week I did a 125 km round commute into work which included my 2nd fastest time ever up rathnew hill (it's not savage but big enough).

Just keep chipping away, gaining the fitness and stamina you lost, takes a while to get started but it does really start to improve once it does.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement