Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

i was afraid to go out in that heat...
    What heat? :confused:

I did a ride in the Greek mountains last year where my Garmin gave an average of 42 degrees (it was indicating 49 degrees at one point). :D

I love cycling in hot weather. I'd stay out all day if I could.

(I really must get my central heating system sorted out. Heating was on full when I came home from a ride this afternoon. :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

saccades wrote: »
    End of march I had to sleep upright on the sofa as I couldn't walk up stairs, end of April I could slowly walk to the shops but was ****ed for the next couple of hours.

Would just about manage a club spin until recently but had to have a 2 hour kip afterwards.

Last week I did a 125 km round commute into work which included my 2nd fastest time ever up rathnew hill (it's not savage but big enough).

Just keep chipping away, gaining the fitness and stamina you lost, takes a while to get started but it does really start to improve once it does.

Fairplay mate, and cheers. I was just feeling sorry for myself.

My OH's halves response was:
    "Do you want some cement, to harden your up" which was the proper response.

Just back from a spin, grand 44km, front derailleur decided to not work, made descending less fun for sure. just needed to turn one of the screws on it, neighbour just showed me...And it's fixed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

saccades wrote: »
    End of march I had to sleep upright on the sofa as I couldn't walk up stairs, end of April I could slowly walk to the shops but was ****ed for the next couple of hours.

Would just about manage a club spin until recently but had to have a 2 hour kip afterwards.

Last week I did a 125 km round commute into work which included my 2nd fastest time ever up rathnew hill (it's not savage but big enough).

Just keep chipping away, gaining the fitness and stamina you lost, takes a while to get started but it does really start to improve once it does.

Sounds awful Injury or illness?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

Managed to get out early this morning before the roads turned to liquid
    stopped for a few minutes at the top of the climb but was getting pestered by clags, Lovely morning besides.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1667181062

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Takca wrote: »
    Managed to get out early this morning before the roads turned to liquid
    stopped for a few minutes at the top of the climb but was getting pestered by clags, Lovely morning besides.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1667181062

Clags- center of lesbian and gay studies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

I was thinking of #2 here - probably best to get off the bike at that point.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

hmmm, I didn't see them up there, /me should have googled it first to see what turned up :)
    these are the guys,
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse-fly

loyatemu wrote: »
    I was thinking of #2 here - probably best to get off the bike at that point.

We call those clinkers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

After too many close calls during my communtes, I picked up a gopro session when argus were selling them off cheap.
    Could be a coincidence but only 1 incident since then as opposed to 1 per trip previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

73km spin around NCD this morning as I got off from work early enough to get some sleep. Nice and warm (not too warm @ 10.00am) and good spin - apart from the car that just didn't look before coming out of a side road and nearly taking everyone with him..

https://www.strava.com/activities/1667923583

Just looked on Strava and I'm on 930km for the month. With my planned commuting, I need to find an extra 13km to break 1000km in a month for the first time! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

(I really must get my central heating system sorted out. Heating was on full when I came home from a ride this afternoon. :eek:)

Missus running a grow house as a sideline Donal 😎

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

secman wrote: »
    Missus running a grow house as a sideline Donal ��

Surprised he has a missus with all the time he spends on a bike! :D
    Mine would leave me if I increased mine anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Apart from the normal commute, had to go further into town for a couple of meetings. Free the cyclelanes indeed! Absolutely disaster with cars and vans parked on them - I can actually see why it's hard for people to make the transition to cycling the number of times you have to merge back out into the traffic flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I did a ride in the Greek mountains last year where my Garmin gave an average of 42 degrees (it was indicating 49 degrees at one point). :D

I love cycling in hot weather. I'd stay out all day if I could.

You don’t seem to mind cycling in freezing cold either! (Stelvio)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Took the long way in to work this morning for a nice warm 35km spin.

Serious weather out there for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Climbed the Cauberg today, on a Brompton.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭positron

On holidays in Benalmadena near Malaga in Spain, I rented a bike from a shop near where I am staying (Wild Bikes, small operation, typical LBS with a handful of bikes to rent, I got a nice bike called 'Conor WRC Spirit X', aluminium frame with 105 components. Plus helmet and water bottle. Lovely bike to ride. Days rental was €19. €85 security deposit, refunded when I brought the bike back, I would recommend if anyone is staying close to Arroyo del Miel).

With temperature between 22 and 29 ddegrees, I decided to do a quick sightseeing trip. Benalmadena-Mijas-Alahurin de la grande-Alahurin de la torro-San Juan-Torremolinus-Benalmadena. It's all climbing to Mijas and then regular roads with net drop back to the coast back to the coast. It was. a stunning couple of hours on the saddle. Hard climbs, beautiful towns like Mijas with post card plazas and views, winding roads up and down, amazing view of the sea and the mountains, cheap and tasty food stops, and last but not the least, butter smooth tarmac. I don't think we have even a single kilometer of road that can compare to the quality of any one of the 60 Kms I did today. It was a sand realisation to be honest.

Total 58.5 Kms with 1115 meters climbing. The only downside of today's ride is that now I will have to replace the Boardman CX when I get home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think my tolerance to temperatures is shifted 5C below normal. i find it hard to function in temps over 25C or so, but on the flipside, i've not owned a coat since 1994.

positron wrote: »
    On holidays in Benalmadena near Malaga in Spain, I rented a bike from a shop near where I am staying (Wild Bikes, small operation, typical LBS with a handful of bikes to rent, I got a nice bike called 'Conor WRC Spirit X', aluminium frame with 105 components. Plus helmet and water bottle. Lovely bike to ride. Days rental was €19. €85 security deposit, refunded when I brought the bike back, I would recommend if anyone is staying close to Arroyo del Miel).

With temperature between 22 and 29 ddegrees, I decided to do a quick sightseeing trip. Benalmadena-Mijas-Alahurin de la grande-Alahurin de la torro-San Juan-Torremolinus-Benalmadena. It's all climbing to Mijas and then regular roads with net drop back to the coast back to the coast. It was. a stunning couple of hours on the saddle. Hard climbs, beautiful towns like Mijas with post card plazas and views, winding roads up and down, amazing view of the sea and the mountains, cheap and tasty food stops, and last but not the least, butter smooth tarmac. I don't think we have even a single kilometer of road that can compare to the quality of any one of the 60 Kms I did today. It was a sand realisation to be honest.

Total 58.5 Kms with 1115 meters climbing. The only downside of today's ride is that now I will have to replace the Boardman CX when I get home.

Can you imagine your trip to Donegal last year on a superior machine ??? :D

Agree with the tarmac in Spain and other places especially Switzerland silky smooth compared to here and UK way less road chatter, we love our high chips to tar ratio here. Heavy roads vs over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Some morons reaching out and trying to push cyclists off/nudging into ditch with car on the way up Sally Gap this evening. :rolleyes:
    Be careful out there folks, sunshine seems to be evaporating the few brain cells these people have.

Where could they possibly have got the idea from?

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/video-irish-thugs-push-cyclist-into-ditch-from-moving-car-as-they-film-and-laugh/

Don't suppose you got a reg number by any chance? Hopefully, they'll be caught on dashcam or helmetcam soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Don't suppose you got a reg number by any chance? Hopefully, they'll be caught on dashcam or helmetcam soon enough.

Nah unfortunately not. I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt thinking "did that really just happen" as they drove off and I steadied myself, wondered if I should shout a warning to the cyclist up ahead. Then they got to him, brake lights went on and I realised, yep that definitely just happened. Morons.
    That poor guy had to climb off, but didn't fall, just as he was climbing at Lough Bray. Poor fella had the worst place on the climb from that direction to be doing a hill start.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 floodser

Glorious spin up to Sally Gap. Loads of gorse fires.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1671740953

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

second ever KOM this morning. like the first, an inconsequential laneway which doesn't see much cycle traffic so the champagne will stay on ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Glorious out there this morning, I had a fair few beers last night so the first few kms were tough but ended up doing a nice 60kms around NCD. My first proper spin with Di2 and I have to say I love it, the child in me especially loves the noise the derailleurs make when you shift, my bike sounds like a transformer! Not as many around Howth today as I expected, all must e out doing the Leinster Loop

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

75km. Bolloxed. I went straight to sleep after arriving home. A lot of the ride was into a headwind and the breeze really disguised just how hot it is.

Learned from my mistakes and brought money this time so I could refill my water bottle and guzzle back a sprite during a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭patrickc

I did a 60k spin this morning did 30k in an hour but wind against me and it took an hour and a half on the way back.

I also said I'd set myself a goal and registered for the 105 km great Dublin bike ride

161km this morning (and early afternoon) around sligo/leitrim/cavan/roscommon, after about 60km I noticed my back wheel was rubbing the brakes, when I took a look the wheel was free to move a few mm left/right, assuming bearings were going I changed my route a bit to avoid the second climb I had planned. I tagged on the lost km's at the end as I was hoping to do my first 100 mile ride.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1673954470

I took the cassette off tonight and turns out the freehub was a bit loose, all tightened up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

50k this afternoon as I couldn't make it to the Paddy Martin spin this morning. Thought I was making great progress @ 28km/h on the first half - only realised quite how wind assisted it was when I turned around. Still another great day for it - it's warm but it hasn't quite reached the "too hot" stage (I don't know how people fly off to do 200K events in Majorca and the like).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Nah unfortunately not. I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt thinking "did that really just happen" as they drove off and I steadied myself, wondered if I should shout a warning to the cyclist up ahead. Then they got to him, brake lights went on and I realised, yep that definitely just happened. Morons.
    That poor guy had to climb off, but didn't fall, just as he was climbing at Lough Bray. Poor fella had the worst place on the climb from that direction to be doing a hill start.

I was doing intervals up Cruagh Road on Friday and there was a gaggle of what looked like 14 or so year olds hiding in the ditch and pegging sticks and stones at cyclists.
    Honest to God, is that really the best idea they could come up with to pass the day? :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

100km out to Bettystown then back home towards Naul, great day out and superb breakfast out in Relish

https://www.strava.com/activities/1671456992/overview

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement