Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Exiled1

Check out Liam Lysaght, cycling down the Danube and writing a superb blog on the way.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/999787

http://www.wildirelandtour.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Tara Hill to Dublin yesterday evening, 3hr10 door to door into the wind which wasn't too shabby.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I just tidied a few bits on the bike last night and wanted to spin around the block to ensure all was tip top. I ended up going out to Howth again, was too nice not to and I went up Balkill Road.

So yesterday morning I did 56.1 and last night I did 43.9... 100 on the nose, completely unintentional

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

I did my first MTB enduro race yesterday. I was absolutely bricking it but finished all three stages without breaking myself or my bike (which was the goal) so very happy. Lots to work on going forward though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭py

Had a spin up around Blessington a few days ago. Came across several Tiernans/Lucan CC members, inter club league occurring up there during the week?

• Advertisement

Cycled up to a Cafe at lunch, 3kms all in and I'm soaked. The heat is unreal, fantastic mind but unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Did 100km this morning on a Connemara loop - fabulous morning but a bit of a northerly wind to cope with...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1675781794

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Just my usual 19Km to work, but the breeze was nice - for once.
    Got stuck behind a lorry, behind a tractor, between Lusk and Blakes Cross doing 25Km max on the downhill parts. The lorry driver was going mad on the horn and was all over the road, so I didn't dare to try and get past him as it might have pushed him over the edge!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

terrydel wrote: »
    Sounds awful Injury or illness?

Pulmonary embolism which kicked off a lung infection.

Quite a **** state of affairs, lung still aches at the end of a long day and no reason for the PE so was advised to take thinners for the rest of my life.

But I've a 24 hour Mtb race coming up and thinners are too expensive too... ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

second ever KOM this morning. like the first, an inconsequential laneway which doesn't see much cycle traffic so the champagne will stay on ice.
    well, that lasted less than 36 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Just my usual 19Km to work, but the breeze was nice - for once.
    Got stuck behind a lorry, behind a tractor, between Lusk and Blakes Cross doing 25Km max on the downhill parts. The lorry driver was going mad on the horn and was all over the road, so I didn't dare to try and get past him as it might have pushed him over the edge!!

In all the different countries and different roads I’ve cycled that road is the worst . It would actually put you off getting on a bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

well, that lasted less than 36 hours.
    Sorry about that... ;)

Sorry about that... ;)

I smell a Cancellara-Gaimon style face off on an inconsequential laneway here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I am good 4-5kg heavier than i was last summer, and i am smashing mountain pr's all over south dublin recently. Knocked 15s off stocking lane and near a minute off the full climb to the top today. Dont understand it, im not cycling as much as i was, wasnt pushing it today, actually had to stop at the lights near the bottom for a while, and still...

I must have asthma or something

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

second ever KOM this morning. like the first, an inconsequential laneway which doesn't see much cycle traffic so the champagne will stay on ice.
    Our club rides often use that lane - and the segment is appropriately named!

(PS - a Boards Mod lives on it also ;))

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I smell a Cancellara-Gaimon style face off on an inconsequential laneway here :D
    my first KOM was robbed on me by WA and Mercian Pro. robbed.

LOL - the rest of the group that day were wondering why we suddenly took off like scalded cats! :D

Crying about it isn't going to get it back now is it, you need to be trash talking on social media and challenging them to epic show downs and recoding montage clips of you in training to the sound of eye of the tiger!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

hit a pedestrian this morning at the lights at the bottom of booterstown avenue, the 2 lines of traffic were stopped in traffic so she stepped out and took a shoulder off me. She went flying, a bit shook but otherwise seemed ok.

Managed to get my foot unclipped to stop myself from coming off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Our Tuesday club spin from Swords headed for the mountains this morning only to find our options limited at Glencree. The Military Road to Sally Gap was closed due to a "fire incident" and the road down to Enniskerry was also closed due to road works. No harm as the road on the south side of the valley is safer and more attractive once you don't try to set a PR on it.

I hadn't done the Full Wall for quite a while and gave it a go. The bohereen down to the start is seriously hairy with loose gravel and potholes and the first ramp after the bridge is as steep as anything I've been on. After that it was just a matter of grinding away on the Granny ring. I was surprised to find later that I had set the best club member time but I suspect a certain WA will regain it before long.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1677981540/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1530620762

• Advertisement

Crying about it isn't going to get it back now is it, you need to be trash talking on social media and challenging them to epic show downs and recoding montage clips of you in training to the sound of eye of the tiger!!!!!!!!
    i was on the same stretch today, happy to let the other guy take it; it's a twisty lane with bad sight lines and a buildup of gravel in the middle of the road.

i was on the same stretch today, happy to let the other guy take it; it's a twisty lane with bad sight lines and a buildup of gravel in the middle of the road.
    ......and aggressive dogs. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Commute to work this morning, cycled in along the grand canal. Two notable incidents.

Two hoodies standing at one of the cycle gates (waiting to rob a bike maybe), hassled the guy ahead of me a bit and then told him they had a knife. Guards phoned when I got into work.

On a lighter note, cycling along the separated cycle lane beside the LUAS, guy pulls up along side and says "we usually cycle on the left".... fair enough, lane is empty and I don't like cycling beside the sharp drop off into the canal. We continue along onto the road... the first red light we meet, he sails through. So I stop, it was about 5 second delay.. when I catch up I shout "we usually stop at reds".

He was a little aggravated to start, I told him I was only messing and he said something about not getting my jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

The canal track up by the Kylemore road is in bits with horses, horse**** and glass. I'll avoid it going home.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

First spin in 3 weeks, bog and work took over. Just a 25k to ease into it again. Felt great to be out again. Surprisingly felt ok but wasn't pushing too hard. avg 26.8kph so out again this evening to trash that :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

mloc123 wrote: »
    Commute to work this morning, cycled in along the grand canal. Two notable incidents.

Two hoodies standing at one of the cycle gates (waiting to rob a bike maybe), hassled the guy ahead of me a bit and then told him they had a knife. Guards phoned when I got into work.

I've seen those lads. They seem to eyeball anyone crossing the gate. Now I'm glad my bike is an ancient heap after reading that!
    The canal track up by the Kylemore road is in bits with horses, horse**** and glass. I'll avoid it going home.

Yeah it's a mess. Seems to be glass all over it, from as far down as Goldenbridge, right the way up to Clondalkin. After that it eases a bit.
    And yeah.. the horseshyte. You need your mudguards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

mloc123 wrote: »

On a lighter note, cycling along the separated cycle lane beside the LUAS, guy pulls up along side and says "we usually cycle on the left".... fair enough, lane is empty and I don't like cycling beside the sharp drop off into the canal. We continue along onto the road... the first red light we meet, he sails through. So I stop, it was about 5 second delay.. when I catch up I shout "we usually stop at reds".

He was a little aggravated to start, I told him I was only messing and he said something about not getting my jokes.

I have been using the Naas road in the afternoon and evening for the past 2 weeks. Too many ****heads hanging around at the locks to get you into trouble. I'd rather take my chances with the traffic and longer cycle. CCTV all along the canal but never know if its working. Used to be monitored by security in Park west ind est.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

I have been using the Naas road in the afternoon and evening for the past 2 weeks. Too many ****heads hanging around at the locks to get you into trouble. I'd rather take my chances with the traffic and longer cycle. CCTV all along the canal but never know if its working. Used to be monitored by security in Park west ind est.

I've been using the grand canal cycle path in the morning and avoiding it in the evening because of the scumbags. Now I'm not so sure about the morning.

The main alternative for me is the Long Mile Road. In the evening traffic is usually stationary so not much of a problem. It's a bit of a race track in the mornings though with bus lane abuse rife. It's quite unpleasant.

I got out last night, cheeky headphone in to listen to the England match and just tipped around the coast. Stopped off at my local to watch the penalties and stood there in the middle of the bar leaning on my bike.

I have such a serious cyclist tan going on right now, it's gas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭devonp

went up to the Gap today, a lot of burnt stuff on the right hand side heading to Kippure. road closed (to cars) from the cross roads to Glencree

was actually hoping the clouds would deliver , no joy:P, it felt very humid today ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement