Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Manchester to Sheffield via the Snake Pass. That was warm!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Manchester to Sheffield via the Snake Pass. That was warm!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Uneventful cycle home, avoiding the canal and using Phoenix park, strawberry beds instead. Pleasent heat in town but punishing from Lucan on at 28c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

mloc123 wrote: »
    Uneventful cycle home, avoiding the canal and using Phoenix park, strawberry beds instead. Pleasent heat in town but punishing from Lucan on at 28c

Did the same route home to celbridge, very warm down in the beds. Will be avoiding the canal in the evening but it's usually quiet at 7am, the glass is getting annoying though...

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

A quick 32km spin tonight.

On the way back I overtook a group of 3 club riders who were doing around 28kph and their leader screamed at me. It was in German so I didn't quite understand.

I was probably doing about 34kph, if that matters. It was on a straight stretch of quality road, and visibility was at least 500-700m in both directions so I was sure there was no other traffic. I passed them while on the white line, about 1 - 1.5m of gap which I thought would be sufficient but the leader seemed pretty irritated.

In fairness I didn't say anything to them but I thought the gap alone would be safe enough, and one of their group had clocked me just a few minutes beforehand so I knew he was aware of me and that I was gaining.

Did I do something wrong? I guess it would've been polite to say hello. Was it unsafe not to say anything, given that there was no other traffic?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was it in germany?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

A quick 32km spin tonight.

On the way back I overtook a group of 3 club riders who were doing around 28kph and their leader screamed at me. It was in German so I didn't quite understand.

I was probably doing about 34kph, if that matters. It was on a straight stretch of quality road, and visibility was at least 500-700m in both directions so I was sure there was no other traffic. I passed them while on the white line, about 1 - 1.5m of gap which I thought would be sufficient but the leader seemed pretty irritated.

In fairness I didn't say anything to them but I thought the gap alone would be safe enough, and one of their group had clocked me just a few minutes beforehand so I knew he was aware of me and that I was gaining.

Did I do something wrong? I guess it would've been polite to say hello. Was it unsafe not to say anything, given that there was no other traffic?
    If it was in German it just sounded like he was giving out. He probably shouted hello mate in German:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

was it in germany?

Yes - probably should have mentioned that!
    If it was in German it just sounded like he was giving out. He probably shouted hello mate in German:-)

This is possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

My first ever 200km today...

Got on grand...

206km - time 7:43 - avg speed 26.7kph - elevation 1,488m

https://www.strava.com/activities/1680343578

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

solo?

• Advertisement

Yes - I did it solo...

fair play!

In that heat it's some effort indeed. Bet that icecream was good!!!!!

Nicest iceberger I've had in years!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sumocycle

Commute to work this morning, cycled in along the grand canal. Two notable incidents.

Two hoodies standing at one of the cycle gates (waiting to rob a bike maybe), hassled the guy ahead of me a bit and then told him they had a knife. Guards phoned when I got into work.

Yes, unfortunately i was that person got assaulted by those two hoodies. Looks its better to avoid that canal route in this summer. No hope with CCTV or from Guards.

I sincerely thank to the lady who saved my bike from those junkies....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Looks like even Strava was feeling sorry for me this evening by giving me a KOM :confused: on a post work spin out to Howth. No Climbing .. too tired thanks to head winds :o). another system glitch.

Had a laugh when I got updates to say my KOM was beat :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/1681216738/segments/42138919353

sumocycle wrote: »
    Yes, unfortunately i was that person got assaulted by those two hoodies. Looks its better to avoid that canal route in this summer. No hope with CCTV or from Guards.

It is infuriating. the route into town is ideal, quiet separated cycle path but it is plagued with scum in the summer.

You got the bike back? Did they threaten you or actually push you off? I went through in a crowd of 3-4 people.. I presume they were waiting for a lone "easy target".

It is infuriating. the route into town is ideal, quiet separated cycle path but it is plagued with scum in the summer.

You got the bike back? Did they threaten you or actually push you off? I went through in a crowd of 3-4 people.. I presume they were waiting for a lone "easy target".

They were having knife and threatened me by keeping the knife on my neck to leave the bike. Also, another guy was banging my hands with the knife to take my hands out of the bike and i got hurt aswell, & finally they got away my bike and started moving in the same direction which came.

Then i started shouting 'Help..! & that's my bike!...' and running behind them, by that moment a lady who was cycling behind, blocked that guy (who taken my bike) . Then, i too went and some how managed to get the bike back.

It was a horrible moment for me.

Also, there were people who cycled in that way went back by seeing me getting assulted. (Not helped :( )

Here, I'm requesting people who reading this post, please try to go and help the people who is getting in that situation.

They were having knife and threatened me by keeping the knife on my neck to leave the bike. Also, another guy was banging my hands with the knife to take my hands out of the bike and i got hurt aswell, & finally they got away my bike and started moving in the same direction which came.

Then i started shouting 'Help..! & that's my bike!...' and running behind them, by that moment a lady who was cycling behind, blocked that guy (who taken my bike) . Then, i too went and some how managed to get the bike back.

It was a horrible moment for me.

Also, there were people who cycled in that way went back by seeing me getting assulted. (Not helped :( )

Here, I'm requesting people who reading this post, please try to go and help the people who is getting in that situation.

That is terrible. I had phoned the guards and reported at 8.30 yesterday, they claimed to be sending somebody out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Yesterday.. Got messaged on this from a cyclist in Tallaght Wheelers who has a Garda mate :
    Cyclist was cycling towards sallygap from roundwood, he observed white van pull approx. 500 meters ahead. He then passed van and van again pulled in front of him. Two males then exited van, one armed with Stanley knife and other with bolt cutters and threatened cyclist. Male with bolt cutters swung at cyclist’s head and then proceeded to take his racing bike and mobile phone. This happened at 1pm yesterday.

Cnuts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

Sorry to hear that sumocycle. That's my commuting route too. I'm not sure if these were the guys, but I thought I'd just mention it in case they were.

Yesterday morning too, at the kissing gate around Bluebell (between Nass and Kylemore roads) there were two guys sitting beside it. Always makes me extra alert and nervous as my bike doesn't fit through and I've to get off and use the swinging gate yolk. Just stood out why two guys would be sitting beside the gate at 8:15 in the morning. I got asked the time when I was trying to get the bike through. Again, I'm thinking how two guys don't have a mobile between them. Anyway, a nothing event but just recalling it as I read your post.

If this was the gate in question, I've got a clear video of their faces so just let me know if it can be of any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭Plastik

Got out yesterday afternoon for a post-holiday, pre-return to work spin in the sunshine. Just put the head down and rolled a big gear for a couple of hours.

94km, 830m ascent, 35.4avg.

Beautiful day for it.

.... that's some pace

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That is beyond horrible. Assault with a deadly weapon could land them in serious trouble. A report to the gardai is needed here.

But as for the above, I wouldn't get involved with someone with a knife. I'd call the gardai from a distance, but the risk to life is high when a knife is involved and no bike is worth that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Something needs to be done about the gates if they're being used to attack people. The gates clearly aren't effective for keeping animals or motorbikes out of the area.

Something needs to be done about the gates if they're being used to attack people. The gates clearly aren't effective for keeping animals or motorbikes out of the area.

I often think if just a bollard to keep cars off it would be better. At least then the motorcycle gardai could travel between Lucan / Clondalkin / Inchicore from time to time. Though I suppose the bicycle unit could do that today.

I've never seen a garda presence on it in the 5 years I've been using it daily (apart from when crime scene tape needs to be used). Often see kids on motorbikes and quad bikes - so many gaps through the hedges. Some policing to deter the minority and not gates that inconvenience the majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

I seen a lone Garda on a mountain bike on the non Greenway side last tuesday so maybe they're starting to show some presence on the now (or because the weather was nice).

It was around quarter past 5 around the 11th lock. Was nice to see them out but badly needed further down towards the city, there's rarely any trouble up around there. I guess it depends on what stations are near by and what resources they have, which is the main issue with the Gardai at the moment.

coward wrote: »
    [QUOTE=
    If this was the gate in question, I've got a clear video of their faces so just let me know if it can be of any help.

Yes, its happened near that blue bell gate, if you can send the video to me will be good to raise with Garda. Thanks!

Yes, its happened near that blue bell gate, if you can send the video to me will be good to raise with Garda. Thanks!

No problem - PM sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

My Di2 stopped working so 1 gear for the last 40kms. It's only gone onto the bike so I suspect a loose connection somewhere. Anyway....

Current situation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement