Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

My Di2 stopped working so 1 gear for the last 40kms. ....
    Just curious - on a Di2, can you manually change the chain to a more suitable 'middle of the road' gear to get you home if it stops working or are you stuck with the last gear it was in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Just curious - on a Di2, can you manually change the chain to a more suitable 'middle of the road' gear to get you home if it stops working or are you stuck with the last gear it was in?

If the battery goes flat it stops the FD first and goes to the big ring and still allows shifting in the rear. I had a sudden and complete failure tonight with no lights on the junction box so I suspect a loose connection somewhere.

I was in 50-14 so not a problem really getting from Maynooth to Kilmainham

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I'm getting increasingly frustrated with motorists who have an upcoming left turn, they move inward toward the pavement even if so far back from their left turn, cycle lane or not. Having to slow down or stop and move myself forward just to get past. Does being a foot or two clsoer to the kerb really make their left turn so much easier? Are they incapable of turning left while in their lane?

Some of them don't even indicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Long commute day - 125km, paced myself well and dug deep on the climbs, new pb's on all of them and only 5 minutes slower overall.

Tired now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I'm getting increasingly frustrated with motorists who have an upcoming left turn, they move inward toward the pavement even if so far back from their left turn, cycle lane or not. Having to slow down or stop and move myself forward just to get past. Does being a foot or two clsoer to the kerb really make their left turn so much easier? Are they incapable of turning left while in their lane?

Some of them don't even indicate.

Given drivers lazy attitude to turning a steering wheel Id imagine they are blocking you deliberately especially if its a cycle lane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

You’re giving them too much credit for actual decisions- most drivers are just thinking about getting to their destination and are just STS’ing (Sitting there, Steering - not actually driving as such).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Nice 55km this morning.
    Swords out to Howth Summit on the village side. Back down the Sutton side and along the sea front cycle path. Down through Fairview and up through Artane, on to Santry and back home.

Some morning for it.

Nice 55km this morning.
    Swords out to Howth Summit on the village side. Back down the Sutton side and along the sea front cycle path. Down through Fairview and up through Artane, on to Santry and back home.

Some morning for it.

In better news, I took a spin out from Dublin 4 to Howth on the cycle track - up the Sutton side, down to the village and then around the back.
    43.6km @ 28km/h average in 1hr 35min. Gorgeous weather, light traffic on the roads and the track, and an ice cream in the village...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Type 17 wrote: »
    In better news, I took a spin out from Dublin 4 to Howth on the cycle track - up the Sutton side, down to the village and then around the back.
    43.6km @ 28km/h average in 1hr 35min. Gorgeous weather, light traffic on the roads and the track, and an ice cream in the village...

Nice. I did the opposite direction this morning and went up through the village. I always try to keep pace up through the village, but it's just ridiculously steep.

• Advertisement

...... I always try to keep pace up through the village, but it's just ridiculously steep.
    Have you tried Balkill/Balglass road (turn right at the church)?

.......just saying, if you think the main road is steep! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that road is one of the main reasons i'm getting another bike. i ran out of gears on it when i tried it a month or two back.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Have you tried Balkill/Balglass road (turn right at the church)?

.......just saying, if you think the main road is steep! :)

Not yet! I'll need to find a bigger cog I think!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if (rather crude) strava data is to be believed, the steepest section staying left at the church is about 14 or 15%, but going right, it hits 19%.

if (rather crude) strava data is to be believed, the steepest section staying left at the church is about 14 or 15%, but going right, it hits 19%.
    My Garmin usually shows 20/21% near the bend. The rest of it is fine - you just do most of the climbing in about 50 metres. (Avoid on a wet day - rear tyre slips when out of the saddle).

Nice. I did the opposite direction this morning and went up through the village. I always try to keep pace up through the village, but it's just ridiculously steep.

Checked my Strava to see if I could figure out who you were.

I did and yes, you were considerably faster than me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Quick spin from Galway to Moycullen to Spiddal and back in early this morning...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1685916006

got a lovely drenching this morning, on the road heading eastbound out of ballyboughal - there's a massive sprinkler set up in a field along that road, which was overspraying onto the road. i waited till it had swung back over the road befor heading through it.

i'm hoping it's not fed from the same tank the farmer had previously been using for slurry or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Did the Howth TT climb bit yesterday for the second time, didn't have to stop this time and got up in 13:54. Sounded like a steam train the whole way 🀣 Never really climbed anything before so I was quite chuffed.

It was tough, how people climb the other side I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

A fabulous 95(ish)kms on Saturday morning all along the lake Geneva shoreline....broken arm recovery well underway now, and building nicely to longer distances every week. I'm still shockingly slow on anything uphill, but whats the rush..:D

https://www.strava.com/activities/1686050993/overview

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Easy old 30 km before work...Well supposed to be easy but the legs hadn't recovered after yesterday evenings spin...Quads on fire...Still averaged 29.5km...But I fear for body this evening ha ha so much for easing myself back onto the bike, with no more than 90km a week to start...Last two weeks averages have been 150km, 139km...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

123km for the Meath - Kildare sportive from Summerhill cycling to and from Dunshaughlin.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1688838482

Went for a climb - 1hr55 for a 42km return trip from Dublin city centre up Stocking Lane to the junction of SallyGap/Enniskerry Roads at Glencree (road to SG is still closed, so I had to turn back). Only a 22km/h average, but a 635m ascent.

Sweaty...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Kilmashogue - still a thunderbastard

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mi16

Went for a climb - 1hr55 for a 42km return trip from Dublin city centre up Stocking Lane to the junction of SallyGap/Enniskerry Roads at Glencree (road to SG is still closed, so I had to turn back). Only a 22km/h average, but a 635m ascent.

Sweaty...

Still closed? I wonder how bad it is up there..

On the plus side, the new stretch of tarmac on the road back down to Enniskerry is a treat. Makes up for the terrible surface in other places.

mi16 wrote: »

Still closed? I wonder how bad it is up there..

There was no smoke visible from the direction that I arrived from, but I didn’t go past the closure in case it was tricky further up over the crest.

Earlier on, I had passed large burnt areas on the left of the road above the trees beyond Kilakee, with some bits still smouldering.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mi16

There was no smoke visible from the direction that I arrived from, but I didn’t go past the closure in case it was tricky further up over the crest.

Earlier on, I had passed large burnt areas on the left of the road above the trees beyond Kilakee, with some bits still smouldering.

Similar situation to last Friday then. I came up the same route and saw all the aftermath and smouldering through the Featherbeds. Hopefully it'll reopen soon as thats my usual entry into the Wicklow mountains!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

Wasn't on the bike, but have to mention this as it was on my usual commuter route. Slowing down to approach the junction of R130/R125 in North Dublin yesterday evening, I saw this huge bird circling, which then swooped down in front of us to pick up a piece of road-kill. And it wasn't just a dead bird it picked up, but an entire four legged animal like a rabbit or fox. Grasped the whole thing up and took off. Must have been a Red Kite. They are absolutely magnificent creatures.

they're fantastic. usually the easiest way to distinguish them if they're overhead is the forked tail.

• Advertisement

Wasn't there a breeding program in place in the Fingal area for Red Kites a few years back?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement