Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Light mist and rain all the way from the Kippure turn-off down into Enniskerry then Bray, the first Ive felt in a month, it cured all my itches and chafing and stinging eyes, glorious. This is why Ill never be able to live in a hot country, it turns into torture after a week no matter how much you shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

100km. I'm very tired now but a new record distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭gaybeer

More mechanicals!! Having already broken a spoke this weekend my crank almost fell apart. Climbing out of the devils elbow towards enniskerry, I got out of the saddle and immediately dropped the chain. Putting the chain back on I noticed that I had lost 3 of the 5 screws holding the two cogs together!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Finally got the courage to put clipless pedals on my bike, took it out for a test spin, seems to be all okay but the real test will come on the commute I guess #Yikes!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

which system did you go for?

• Advertisement

GCN had a decent video with good tips for those new to clipless if I recall.

For my part I did 38km early this morning at barely bright o clock. Fed the wee one but couldn't get back to sleep with the heat so headed out. Met I'd say 5 or 6 cars after I got out of town. Dry too and cooler along the coast. Drizzle then light rain about 8km from home roads ok until I got into town then really greasy at junctions. The two cars I had behind me at a couple of sets of lights gave me serious respect sat back as I moved off and turned which was fortunate as I had to catch the bike turning right at one of them. So they got a big thumbs up as they passed and got a beep in reply from one :)

First time in ages I've gone out without eating first, not sure if it was lack of sleep or food or both but did feel really sluggish starting out. Was a little better once id had the banana and bar from my pocket.

Was in the shower and partner came in and asked if I'd been awake long, would have got away it too had she not seen my bibs and jersey on the floor :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

52km this morning out to hill of skryne and back. half wet, half dry.
    have had a policy for the last month or two that i can't go out without finding a road i've not been on before; today it was one from the hill of skryne back onto the old navan road, and the lagore road from dunshaughlin back towards ratoath.

29.7km/h average, but there was about half the amount of climbing i'd be used to on a 50km spin; i was avoiding the steeper hills (and thus downhills) this morning due to the greasy roads.

Skryne and hill or Tara is a neck of the woods I haven't been in an age. Looking at google maps now trying to plot a course from Drogheda to there and back and lots of roads I've never been on to choose from. Never a fan of having to cross the N2 depending on time of day and day of the week.

i recently dropped onto the N2 from the snailbox and crossed over about 200m north of there onto the road that'd take you to duleek - a distinctly unpleasant experience, mainly because of someone who decided to undertake another vehiclle, and use the hard shoulder to do so, while i was sitting in it waiting for a break in traffic to cross.

I'd be doing that in reverse based on my map, even that road from killmoon to duleek is not a road I'd use given a choice. Though maybe it's ok these days at weekends early?

• Advertisement

i usually wouldn't stay on the road to dulleek there - i'd usually be entering or exiting it a few hundred metres northeast, which would be the road for puddenhill/clonalvy/garristown or ardcath, depending on circumstances.

i usually wouldn't stay on the road to dulleek there - i'd usually be entering or exiting it a few hundred metres northeast, which would be the road for puddenhill/clonalvy/garristown or ardcath, depending on circumstances.

Ah yeah same as, even in the car that road is a pox. I'd be on and off it on the bike sharpish as a means to somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Quick spin out to Moycullen, across to Spiddal and back in this evening after work... breezy, but I managed to average just over 29kmph... 43km

https://www.strava.com/activities/1707052034

what's the moycullen road like? if memory serves, it wouldn't be the best road to cycle on, though i may be thinking of sections further out past moycullen.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

On the flat with a dutch friend 3 weeks ago, so went at his pace, route: Drumcondra - Bray - Greystones - Laragh - Roundwood - Bray - Drumcondra = 135km
    2 weeks ago Ring of Kerry = 175km, 27km/hr
    Last weekend: Drumcondra - Rathfarnham - Sally Gap - Laragh - Bray - Drumcondra = 120km, 5hrs, could be better but first time this year doing the sally gap, so happy with this for now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Your memory serves you well - road out to Moycullen is grand - parts have been upgraded in recent years - across to Spiddal is rough enough in spots - the road in from Spiddal is largely ok - just the traffic tends to be heavier and there's no hard shoulder...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Decided against riding to work yesterday and headed out for a spin earlier instead as it was a drizzly day.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1704464636

Only saw a few people out - one VCB guy with his young lad around Naul. Due to the weather, I decided to not take glasses and try a peaked cycling hat under the helmet instead... Why???
    With the peak down I just got a steady torrent of water in my face off the peak, with the peak up I may as well have not bothered. Failing to see the usefulness of this item of kit. Can anybody enlighten me? (it is a boards cap, so should be up to whatever job it's supposed to do..)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Failing to see the usefulness of this item of kit. Can anybody enlighten me?

As someone who has to wear prescription glasses on the bike, I find a peaked cap handy in light or moderate rain as it seems to keep my glasses clear. Doesn't help much if the bike in front doesn't have decent mudguards though. (Apologies for using the "m" word in July!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

As someone who has to wear prescription glasses on the bike, I find a peaked cap handy in light or moderate rain as it seems to keep my glasses clear. Doesn't help much if the bike in front doesn't have decent mudguards though. (Apologies for using the "m" word in July!)

yeah I also wear glasses and find my cotton caps to be some of the best bits of kit I own! in a downpour you'll still get some rain getting onto your glasses bit far far less then if not wearing the cap.

lovely evening out there, very calm. 54km around NCD, 30.7km/h average. found a decent road i'd not been on before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Nice steady 40km out with the club around Puddenhill and Rathfeigh

https://www.strava.com/activities/1709401341

not a million miles from where i was last night - that road from the roundabout just north of curragha, to rathfeigh is a decent enough one - the stretch from the roundabout to back of the snailbox has been recently resurfaced, and a proper job done of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

not a million miles from where i was last night - that road from the roundabout just north of curragha, to rathfeigh is a decent enough one - the stretch from the roundabout to back of the snailbox has been recently resurfaced, and a proper job done of it too.

Couldn't believe how smooth that stretch was last night, nearly got bounced off the bike last time I was on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Quick up and down to kellystown and the viewpoint via cruagh this morning. Was messing with strava after and saw this - never seen it before?
    Flagged Segment Waiver: Viewing Pt to Scholarstown Road Descent
    Certain segments are identified with flags (“Flagged Segments”), which indicate that other Strava users, in completing or attempting to complete the segment, recognized or perceived a hazardous condition or danger inherent to such segment. You expressly agree that Strava, in allowing these segments to be flagged, does not recommend, encourage, suggest or direct you to begin, attempt, or complete any Flagged Segment. You expressly acknowledge and agree that Strava does not assume responsibility for the inspection, supervision, preparation, condition or state of any segment, including but not limited to Flagged Segments, and that Strava has no personal knowledge, nor makes any warranties or representations about the conditions, state, or any factors, whether naturally-occurring or resulting from human action, pertaining to the maintenance, quality, or safety of any segment, including but not limited to Flagged Segments.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Ive been getting a few rides in over the last few weeks. 6am spins to Howth are so pleasant with no real foot or bike traffic on the cyclepath

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

In Achill for a few days and I have scouted out the outline of the island. I also located the road up to the masts (minaun) and it’s a monster. Avg 12% but quite a few sections at 20%. 2.8 k and it saw me drop to 5kph. Towards the end I was zig zagging just to stay moving. Stunning location. Descending was terrifying. I thought I would flip over the handlebars on the way down. Met a chap called Ray ( who knows Mercian pro from your Slovenia spins recently) who was going up. Had a good chat with him. Hope he made it down in one piece. Couldn’t recommend Achill enough for a few spins)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Luxman wrote: »
    Met a chap called Ray ( who knows Mercian pro from your Slovenia spins recently) who was going up.

I see from Strava that a Swords clubmate was up there yesterday too. Must have a look at it next time I'm down that direction. Well done to anyone who gets up there (and down) without walking. It makes Kippure look positively easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

First spin in a month and boy oh boy did I suffer. I had a fantastic family holiday in Thailand during which I acquired some stray kilograms. 4 to be precise. Anyway, seeing as I was home now and needed a spin I went with the lads in the club for a recce of the club league race this coming Thursday. Probably the most overly optimistic thing I've done on the bike. They absolutely shredded me. It was tough just hanging on but then I got simultaneous cramps in left quad and right calf and after about 2 km dying, trying to keep moving I eventually had to lie down in the ditch and stretch it out.
    It got worse when I went back into spasm getting back on the bike and fell off in a heap.
    Fair play to the lads, they waited at the shop up the road and kept it nice and easy to help me get home.
    70 km at almost 32kmh, would have been about 34 average only for me slowing everyone down for the last 20 km.
    Really can't see myself on the podium on Thursday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Fitted a longer stem on the bike and set off to test on a 40km route I do. Lovely evening and felt much more comfortable so happy days. Turning in the general direction of home when psssttttt.. feckin flat. Only good thing was there was a park bench nearby that I could use but the puncture took most of the good out of it #thejoys

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Finally got the courage to put clipless pedals on my bike, took it out for a test spin, seems to be all okay but the real test will come on the commute I guess #Yikes!
    GCN had a decent video with good tips for those new to clipless if I recall.

Possibly should have watched that.... came off the bike this morning when the message from my brain to my foot wasn't quick enough at a junction and I didn't get the foot out in time :o:o. Wounded pride but also a very swollen left hand! Was terrified going down the quays and kept unclipping every few mins!! Doesn't look like I'll be able to cycle home if I can't put my hand on the bars but will see how it is later on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement