Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Possibly should have watched that.... came off the bike this morning when the message from my brain to my foot wasn't quick enough at a junction and I didn't get the foot out in time :o:o. Wounded pride but also a very swollen left hand! Was terrified going down the quays and kept unclipping every few mins!! Doesn't look like I'll be able to cycle home if I can't put my hand on the bars but will see how it is later on.

Take it easy, it sounds to me like you should make other arrangements to get home if you hand is swollen. I remember my first few days commuting on SPD's, I didn't fall but came close a couple of times. You should look into reducing the tension in the pedals as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭devonp

Possibly should have watched that.... came off the bike this morning when the message from my brain to my foot wasn't quick enough at a junction and I didn't get the foot out in time :o:o. Wounded pride but also a very swollen left hand! Was terrified going down the quays and kept unclipping every few mins!! Doesn't look like I'll be able to cycle home if I can't put my hand on the bars but will see how it is later on.

you know you can get dual pedals....one side is SPD the other is flat
    Shimano A530 i think, i use them on my commuter, but once i got used to the clipped in side i hardly ever use the flat, maybe only when making a quick trip to the shop etc
    yeah the quays take a bit of getting used to ..take care and hope you hand heals soon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Feck, stopped a bit short today.
    456179.png

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

After almost a month off the bike due to holidays etc, I just did 24km yesterday, 34km today. Previously I've got back from hols and tore off doing the bigger distances only to suffer knee and back issues subsequently. I'm slowly getting sense!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Raam wrote: »
    Feck, stopped a bit short today.
    well, let's say GPS is 99.99% accurate. that's a margin of error of 10km over 100,000km. so 1.9km out would be one fifth of the margin of error based on that level of accuracy, so for all intents and purposes, you deserve that beer.

• Advertisement

well, let's say GPS is 99.99% accurate. that's a margin of error of 10km over 100,000km. so 1.9km out would be one fifth of the margin of error based on that level of accuracy, so for all intents and purposes, you deserve that beer.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY ahead of you ;-)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hang on a minute - it's equally likely that you're only at 99,997.2

The only way to be reasonably sure is to do another 500km....

:P

Beasty wrote: »
    Hang on a minute - it's equally likely that you're only at 99,997.2

The only way to be reasonably sure is to do another 500km....

:P

I knew I should have logged all those creche runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

devonp wrote: »
    you know you can get dual pedals....one side is SPD the other is flat
    Shimano A530 i think, i use them on my commuter, but once i got used to the clipped in side i hardly ever use the flat, maybe only when making a quick trip to the shop etc
    yeah the quays take a bit of getting used to ..take care and hope you hand heals soon

yep, I've these and they do the job perfectly, means I don't have to wear my cycling shoes if just going somewhere local.

that said I expect you'll be surprised at how quickly you get used to being clipped in. we've all had those 1 or 2 tumbles as part of the initiation :pac:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Raam wrote: »
    I knew I should have logged all those creche runs.

Sorry, but running does not count, unless you're moving over to the dark side...

(EDIT: and I don't mean Balrothery)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I was driving but I met a lot of cyclists on the road between Ballinasloe and Shannonbridge maybe 50 or more spread out, kind of unusual for a Friday.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

My Achill adventure continues. Today was just supposed to be easy enough (legs a bit sore after Croagh Patrick on Tuesday) so I headed for the Greenway. I am about 9km from the start of it in Achill Sound. General impression is thats its very good, however I knew fairly quickly there would be a headwind all the way home. It was drizzly but nothing that would stop you. Got a far as Malranny and had to dismount to get up the ramp there, I didn't expect it and could not get a run at it due to the sharp turn. Continued on to Newport and by the time I got there it was miserable, proper extra wet Atlantic drizzle, so I turned and headed back into the wind. So 80km all in. Saw a few families out, it was great to see. Over 500m climbing on Strava!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I was driving but I met a lot of cyclists on the road between Ballinasloe and Shannonbridge maybe 50 or more spread out, kind of unusual for a Friday.

Likely a Galway - Dublin cycle given the time of year. I'm doing it in August on a Thursday and Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Haven't managed to get our for a while. Eased back into it with just shy of 39km.avg 26.4 top 56.2(yes downhill) Thought I'd ha e more aches and pains and still felt I had a bit left in the tank. I think I'll keep that bit for Sunday:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

yep, I've these and they do the job perfectly, means I don't have to wear my cycling shoes if just going somewhere local.

that said I expect you'll be surprised at how quickly you get used to being clipped in. we've all had those 1 or 2 tumbles as part of the initiation :pac:

I was going to recommend the m324, used them for years. When they wore out I got the XT trails ones which are nicer, new version has better grip pins on the flat side.

Last long commute today and it was cool so hammered it into work. 18 new PB's and destroyed myself up wind gates and got the green light flow through bray.

Strava didn't record the last 15km.... Curses.

Going home was torrential at times, half thought about phoning the missus for a lift but it was warm enough and you can only get so wet before it doesn't matter.

Last 125km before a 24 hour endurance event.

Bike computer is acting the maggot, dunno about a replacement or getting a small god.

Tired due to what I think is onset of summer man flue (worst kind) on the way home I pulled right into the drive a little too early and hit kerb and went straight over the bars, front wheel is shagged and so are my shorts and jersey but no major injuries other than grazes :o

The drive meets the road after crossing a footpath and has a 1cm lip with slanted kerbs either side.

EDIT: Some local teens had a good chuckle at my expense but did assist picking me up and making sure I was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

Something I've been meaning to do for sometime is cycle to Dublin, today was the day

I met the family in kinnegad for something to eat (they were driving up), at that stage my legs were in pain, I was feeling cold, tired and my cycling strength was fading fast, with 60km yet to go. A coke, milk, burger and neurophen later and I took off feeling a lot better and I was pretty much fine again for the rest of the trip. Not sure which of the above to give credit to but something worked. I had a slight tail wind for most it, nothing very strong but I was happy to have it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1715875566

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's some average speed to maintain for over 200km!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

That was some spin, fair play to you. Want to try a similar sort of thing, a journey that I've done by car many times but it will be approx 100k, maynooth to castlecomer.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

that's some average speed to maintain for over 200km!

I probably overdid it a bit, feeling pretty tired today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I did my pb on the Howth TT last night, still double figures but I should be able to get into the singles next time given it was rainy and windy up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

70km today - got two punctures (first ones I'd say in 12 months) - thankfully had two tubes with me - dry and overcast...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1717071258

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Did the same as last week, Drumcondra - Rathfarnham - Sallygap - Laragh - Drumcondra, 21.5km/hr, 4.66 hours, 100km

• Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭dahat

First Spin in 5 weeks after surgery and with 4 new kilogram friends i was always going to find it tough no matter how easy I wanted to take it.

I failed to check the wind so I faced a block headwind for the last 25km or so, suffering.

55km at 31 avg and wrecked legs.... Still good to be back but I'm a long long way off any sort of fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

dahat wrote: »
    First Spin in 5 weeks after surgery and with 4 new kilogram friends i was always going to find it tough no matter how easy I wanted to take it.

I failed to check the wind so I faced a block headwind for the last 25km or so, suffering.

55km at 31 avg and wrecked legs.... Still good to be back but I'm a long long way off any sort of fitness.

How would you check the wind, is they an app

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

Most forecasts will give wind speed and direction

This site is good if you want a visual representation
    https://www.windy.com

You can also give mywindsock.com permission to access your strava feed to give you feedback on how strong the wind would have been on each part of your cycle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Just a short 36k today...was looking forward to my descent down Cruagh road...then I got stuck behind some oul lad in a Merc driving down at 25/30k :(

56km out to Dunsany and back today. 31.6km/h which I was pleased with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭dahat

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

I just use my normal app to get the direction, I can plan my route then.

The app is Weather Station.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement