Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭dahat

You can also give mywindsock.com permission to access your strava feed to give you feedback on how strong the wind would have been on each part of your cycle.

56% headwind... The hurt...

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

103km today including 5 repeats of an average 11% hill. I remember back in April the first time I did that hill I was so close to getting off and walking, just begging for mercy. It was quite satisfying to repeat the hill today, spinning up in my granny gear like a slow but relentless terminator.

I do struggle a lot after 80km, my back in particular. It's not painful as such it's more like I'm too weak to hold it in a comfortable position. Maybe I need to do some core exercises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Did the Howth TT climb bit yesterday for the second time, didn't have to stop this time and got up in 13:54. Sounded like a steam train the whole way �� Never really climbed anything before so I was quite chuffed.

It was tough, how people climb the other side I have no idea.
    Did this again a couple of times and managed it in 12:31 today, hoping at some stage to get under 10 mins.

It's great to see so many people out and about

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Did the Viking Sportif down in Wexford today. Glorious scenery and a very hot fast day. Odins beard though. The drivers down here are such asshats. A special mention must go to the cretin in a tractor who, after having plenty of opportunities to overtake safely decides that a blind 90 degree left bend on a 13% gradient hill was the optimal time to perform said manoeuvre. Needless to say he has a new understanding of Dub expletives after that particular stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Did this again a couple of times and managed it in 12:31 today, hoping at some stage to get under 10 mins.

It's great to see so many people out and about

Excellent, currently bring that warrior myself. My issue seems to be pacing though, I die on the last stretch. Best time is 10.55iirc so I should beat that shortly

Picked up a nice KOM today myself, I went for it a couple of months ago and was tied for second (with wishbone ash funnily enough) but I decimated it today and no wind assistance. The previous record was 4.38 and my best was 4.54 but today I did it in 4.11 and had to back out at one point when a car close passed me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I did the Tour of Tyrone today - 165k with 2,200m of climbing. I underestimated how tough it would be. No long climbs but endless sharp rises and descents so difficult to settle into any rhythm. I started off with the second group but was spat out the back door after about 5k. :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/1720651193

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

Did the Audax Ireland 24hr TT over the weekend, I'm no stranger to long rides but this was as hard as anything I've done before.

Started on the TT bike, went out too fast, copped on and told myself to slow down, was still going too fast, then my legs told me to cop on, listened to them, my stomach went out in sympathy with my legs, not a great situation just as it's getting dark. Switched to road bike before it got dark, different position helped with stomach, switched over to milk based foods, that sorted things eventually, didn't get the boost I was hoping for from the dawn, stopped to change shorts as I couldn't sit on saddle any more, found a bottle of coke while I was stopped, rocket fuel, new man after half the bottle, flew (relative terms) around the last lap, suddenly my target of 600km which I thought was slipping away was on again, back on the TT bike for the short laps, finished with 614km odd.

To say that I'm sore now doesn't really describe it, but that'll go away (beer is helping), still not sure I'd take another of these on though.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1720279824#43121972628

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

I know this thread is mainly for the big league cyclists, but I'm currently in rural Germany where all the towns are connected by footpaths but labelled as cycle paths (because nobody walks on country roads). Anyway, I did an 18km round trip on an old rusting Dutch style bike to get a dodgy pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Takca wrote: »
    Something I've been meaning to do for sometime is cycle to Dublin, today was the day

I met the family in kinnegad for something to eat (they were driving up), at that stage my legs were in pain, I was feeling cold, tired and my cycling strength was fading fast, with 60km yet to go. A coke, milk, burger and neurophen later and I took off feeling a lot better and I was pretty much fine again for the rest of the trip. Not sure which of the above to give credit to but something worked. I had a slight tail wind for most it, nothing very strong but I was happy to have it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1715875566

It looks like you're ready for http://www.audaxireland.org...

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

cdaly_ wrote: »

Its something I have on my bucket list, but options are sparse this side of the country so I may need to make a weekend out of it at some stage. I had been hoping to do the one in ballina next month but it clashes with family stuff. The only other one around me is here in sligo but I aint going to be testing the audax waters with 300km...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

From dublin up cruagh, featherbeds to kippure gates then back. Was nice and warm/humid, til i turned and saw the black clouds over the city. Got absolutely drenched coming down stocking lane, i wear glasses and could hardly see anything and with it being after 8pm and under tree cover, it was also really dark. Sketchy enough descent, but got home and straight in for a shower. Passed a few hardier souls on the way up as i was going down...hope it cleared up for them

https://www.strava.com/activities/1723044729

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Out to Malahide to collect the car after being out on Sat night, it's 57km from Swords if you include Ballyboughal, Oldtown etc. Put sunscreen on, when I got home I must have resembled one of those HB Brunches from years ago such was the amount of flies stuck to me!! 47km today like cycling in front of an open oven at times such was the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Qrt wrote: »
    I know this thread is mainly for the big league cyclists, but I'm currently in rural Germany where all the towns are connected by footpaths but labelled as cycle paths (because nobody walks on country roads). Anyway, I did an 18km round trip on an old rusting Dutch style bike to get a dodgy pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

55km last night after work, on the way home hit a pothole, puncture. Completely flat within 10 seconds.

Managed to get it fixed fast enough, but over 30 cars drove past while repairing the puncture, not 1 ask was I ok or needed a hand(just an interesting observation is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

40km yesterday evening, managed to hit 30.2km/h average speed even with some hills thrown in!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Takca wrote: »
    Its something I have on my bucket list, but options are sparse this side of the country so I may need to make a weekend out of it at some stage. I had been hoping to do the one in ballina next month but it clashes with family stuff. The only other one around me is here in sligo but I aint going to be testing the audax waters with 300km...

Go for it. Tell the family you're just nipping out for a quick spin on sunday morning. They won't notice...

You could try the Mayo XTRM in September. It's only a 200 but it's off-road "MTB only". After that, you gotta travel but it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Got out for a quick 40km yesterday as didn’t have much time. Shaved 30 seconds off my best time up Snowtown, which really surprised me as I didn’t think I was going too well as I’ve been dosed lately and still not fully over it (plus I’m not great on climbs!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was that up snowtown from the north or the south?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Zoncolon

Hi All,
    Not sure where to put this, didn't seem to merit opening up a new thread.
    Im heading to Belfast for a day and night.  Was thinking a great way to see the City and any other sites would be by bringing my bike with me.
    Any Northerners on here with any recommendations or good routes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I can confirm that Continental Gp4000 II do not grip well on spilt diesel.....which I thought was water until I got a close look....

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭gaybeer

Did 60k from Town to Howth to Castleknock. Lovely evening for it. In no particular order, types of commuters I came across in the various cycle lanes:

Buses, Taxis, motorbikes, Scooters, Electric Scooters, Gyroscopes, Cyclists going with no hands badly, rollerbladers and pedestrians walking against the traffic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I can confirm that Continental Gp4000 II do not grip well on spilt diesel.....which I thought was water until I got a close look....
    did you stay upright?

50k around NCD; lovely evening for it.
    at one point i was passed by a motorist on a twisty piece of road. not the best place to overtake, but i've seen far worse. next junction - a couple of hundred metres on, the window is wound down and he's shouting at me. 'oh, here we go again', i think; till i noticed he was smiling.
    'YOU WERE DOING 45! YOU WERE DOING 45!' in an incredulous tone of voice, but a big smiley face and a thumbs up from him.

did you stay upright?

No, afraid not.

No major harm done, nothing that a bit of Savlon won't cure, feckin' scraped 'Ultegra' off me pedal though grrr

I was about 13Km into my 40 route, should have turned around cos I really died in the last 15, putting it down to the fright and stinging of the road rash.

could be one of those ones that the soreness/stiffness will hit you tomorrow?

Ah I'll probably have a few bruises and a bit of stiffness but I was going fairly handy into a left turn at the time, thinking back I think I was actually riding in the oil, grand until I went to turn.
    (Often saw people in the village in the evening watering flowers baskets so that's why I thought it was water!)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... I’ve been dosed lately and still not fully over it.....
    Still not over Snowtown? :)

Still not over Snowtown? :)

Just about... :)

was that up snowtown from the north or the south?

Heading from Naul, so I’d say going North

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Rode out to Mondello, raced it and rode home last night. Pretty knackered this morning but it's definitely a good training sesh!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement