Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

67km today in glorious sunshine. Total pleasure to be out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Finished work at 4 so had Howth, Glencree and back or Back roads of Lucan on my plans. Went for the first option and did Howth from Sutton side to Summit, back down, and then turned right at the church for the first time.

It wasn't nearly as terrible as I imagined it would be, but I would have welcome something lower than a 34x26 and I was taking it fairly handy. However, there was a noticeable headwind as I went up the other side, so I might have had a push.

Back home for 50 km. Got a shout too when I was stopped asking someone if they needed help.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1727276402

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Thursday morning spin - some parts faster than usual.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1728862080/segments/43322655598

A few more PR's as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Pushed hard tonight, ended up on the wheel of another lad then and we took turns out front, always nice when things flow like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

61Km around Wicklow this evening, 767m gained, avg speed 26.8km/h, lovely evening for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Just back from a mixed spin.

81km, averaged 28.3km. Started all nice, but a couple of stretches just felt like hell.

Tulla to O'Callaghan's mill & broadford to sixmilebridge. Just felt like I was peddling up hill the whole time. Certainly don't remember the route being so unforgiving (but haven't cycled it nearly 4 years).

Home now, gonna stretch and then die slowly on the couch.

Santry to Aughrim via Military Road/Laragh and Rathdrum just shy of 80km with a little over 1000m climbing.

Fastest time up stocking lane and to Sally gap which surprised me. Had wind in my face the entire way too. Was going for the Shea Elliot but time was tight so took the longer, less hilly option and flew that.

Might be doing it in reverse tomorrow weather dependent

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Maybe this isn't the best place for this but some might have an answer.

Might be riding from Tipperary town in to Limerick next week. Probably around 10:00 am or so.
    Expect to travel N24.

How busy/safe could I expect that road to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

Weepsie wrote: »
    Santry to Aughrim via Military Road/Laragh and Rathdrum just shy of 80km with a little over 1000m climbing.

Fastest time up stocking lane and to Sally gap which surprised me. Had wind in my face the entire way too. Was going for the Shea Elliot but time was tight so took the longer, less hilly option and flew that.

Might be doing it in reverse tomorrow weather dependent

Hi Weepsie, fellow Santry resident myself, what route do you take from Santry to get Southside? I tend to stay NCD but wouldn't mind a spin SS during this fine weather?

Might be riding from Tipperary town in to Limerick next week. Probably around 10:00 am or so.
    Expect to travel N24.

Haven't ridden in years but my memory is that it's safe, but boring. As you come into Limerick pick your line and don't be bullied by drivers

• Advertisement

Torres09 wrote: »
    Hi Weepsie, fellow Santry resident myself, what route do you take from Santry to get Southside? I tend to stay NCD but wouldn't mind a spin SS during this fine weather?

My fiance is from Wicklow so gives me added incentive to head down.

I go Phibsborough, Harold's Cross through terenure and onto stocking lane. If going for Enniskerry I turn for Dundrum somewhere earlier.

Dublin is the worst part of it. I stopped about 20 times at lights this morning constantly losing momentum etc.

I'm sure there are more efficient ways out there, albeit longer. I just don't know them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Expect to travel N24.

It’s not the busiest of the roads, but there can be a good few truck heading to and from the ferry in rosslare

There is a hard shoulder most of the way. Pallasgreen to a bit after Dromkeen is the only long stretchwith out one.

stayed in Wicklow last night as, so opted to cycle home. Opted for coastal route, rather than the hills as I wasn't sure how the weather would be and didn't fancy too many descents in downpours.

Went from Glenealy > Greystones > Bray > N11 to city centre, and onto Santry.

Hammered the first 25 km, as it p!ssed down for the first 15 minutes and I needed to stay warm. Had some sketchy moments on some of Wicklow CoCo's favoured road dressing for 6km after Rathnew. Stopped for the coffee tasting board in Happy Pear (espresso and small cappucino & recommended) and shot up Windgates faster than before), and then got rained on from Shanhill to a bit before UCD. Sun came out the moment I got home.

65 km at 28.9 kmph, though Dublin City really slows you down. Loads of pbs too.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1733511376

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weepsie wrote: »
    shot up Windgates faster than before
    you were a minute faster up windgates than my pb, but my pb was set the morning after my best friend's 40th. so i was just happy to get to the top and not actually die.

Ring of Clare today. 165km.

Heavy rain early,
    horrific headwind for the first 100km
    Then 60km of the lumpiest road in Ireland

Loop head is gorgeous

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Ring of Clare today. 165km.

Heavy rain early,
    horrific headwind for the first 100km
    Then 60km of the lumpiest road in Ireland

Loop head is gorgeous

Did the ‘160k’ route as well and agree with everything you said (seriously, hail storms in July!)..great day and really well run event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Excellent, currently bring that warrior myself. My issue seems to be pacing though, I die on the last stretch. Best time is 10.55iirc so I should beat that shortly

Picked up a nice KOM today myself, I went for it a couple of months ago and was tied for second (with wishbone ash funnily enough) but I decimated it today and no wind assistance. The previous record was 4.38 and my best was 4.54 but today I did it in 4.11 and had to back out at one point when a car close passed me.

Did it again today, spurred on by the rain I did it in 11:11 (although this is mostly down to using a much lighter aluminium bike rather than my heavier, but way more comfortable, steel touring bike with fenders, rack etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Back out again on after over a week of paperwork and stuck behind a counter, driving kids/students around the place. Just shy of 60k.light breeze, kept a nice steady pace. Avg 25.7kph.Couple of hills thrown in for good measure. Great for the heart and mind:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

67km today. In some sections a tailwind was pushing me along at 42kph on the flats - what a feeling. The speed promptly plummeted in the wind's absence.

Around half way a race (at least I think it was a race) passed me with what looked like elite club riders. Their pace and proximity to one another was incredible.

Lovely Morning for a spin...

Just back 76.8km, with three repeats of Ballycasey Hill to Sixmilebridge, nice bit of climbing and downhills too. Averaged 30km/h so very happy:D

Weird noise coming from the bike, thought i popped a spoke...no cassette seems to broken, biggest 5 rings seems to moving and not secure. Anyone know if its a big job, or not. Off next week so kinda need the bike, is it a 10 minute job to replace or longer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

Just back 76.8km, with three repeats of Ballycasey Hill to Sixmilebridge, nice bit of climbing and downhills too. Averaged 30km/h so very happy:D

Weird noise coming from the bike, thought i popped a spoke...no cassette seems to broken, biggest 5 rings seems to moving and not secure. Anyone know if its a big job, or not. Off next week so kinda need the bike, is it a 10 minute job to replace or longer?

Could be a few different things, most probably your freehub is gone, 40 /50 euro job depending on your wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

When you say moving do you mean lateral movement? If so it could be just loose

As for my cycle today.... wet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

It may be just the lock nut on your cassette has loosened.
    If it has, 2 minute job with the correct tool.

When you say moving do you mean lateral movement? If so it could be just loose

As for my cycle today.... wet

Just seems loose have a video of the issue, it's attached, just skip the first 15 seconds

https://vimeo.com/282195231?ref=em-share

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

100km spin out to Maam Cross, across to the coast road and back home in 3hr 28min. Heavy fog for the first hour or so, but then cleared up to a lovely day.

Strava didn't work :(

pjmn wrote: »
    100km spin out to Maam Cross, across to the coast road and back home in 3hr 28min. Heavy fog for the first hour or so, but then cleared up to a lovely day.

Strava didn't work :(

Hate when Strava doesn't work, especially if your targeting specific segments:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

...first time it's happened to me to be honest....

Doesn’t count if it’s not on Strava. You’ll have to go do it again :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Just seems loose have a video of the issue, it's attached, just skip the first 15 seconds

https://vimeo.com/282195231?ref=em-share

Looks to be loose.
    You may need a spacer, which goes on before putting on the cassette.

• Advertisement

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Looks to be loose.
    You may need a spacer, which goes on before putting on the cassette.

Bringing it to bike shop first, in the hope they'll sort it out there for me

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement