Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Cycled out the Meath Heritage spin yesterday, weather was brutal but got a good load from the club doing the 100km and 50km.
    153km @ 26kmph

https://www.strava.com/activities/1735559638

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

pjmn wrote: »
    ...first time it's happened to me to be honest....

When you say Strava didn't work? Are you just using app on a phone. ? I use a Garmin which auto uploads to Strava.
    Just curious as I have come across people saying " Strava stopped ".

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

Cycled NCD to Athlone on Friday. Hopped on the canal in Maynooth and barring a few km on the road it was the guts of 100km traffic free.

had to of course stop off in Fureys for a sneaky pint. 162km all in.

Saturday another 100km or so from Athlone to Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved to Harolds Cross for a few days from Portmarnock (it's a long story...). Commuting out to fairview was great this morning, amazing to see how many cyclists there are along the Grand Canal. I had almost forgotten how many there were.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

secman wrote: »
    When you say Strava didn't work? Are you just using app on a phone. ? I use a Garmin which auto uploads to Strava.
    I'd say he may mean that his Garmin didn't record/save the ride as opposed to Strava. It happens me occasionally on my 810. Sometimes it freezes and won't restart. Occasionally it seems to be working fine during a ride but there's nothing there when I go to upload it. I did a 200k Audax a while back and when I got home, it said 'no new activities'. That was a bit of a sickener!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd say he may mean that his Garmin didn't record/save the ride as opposed to Strava. It happens me occasionally on my 810. Sometimes it freezes and won't restart. Occasionally it seems to be working fine during a ride but there's nothing there when I go to upload it. I did a 200k Audax a while back and when I got home, it said 'no new activities'. That was a bit of a sickener!

Could be dumping it in a different folder and need to be manually uploaded. Happened with my 500 before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

8 laps at twentyfour12, partner and I were ahead of schedule for 16 laps plus each (at 10km per lap with 190m of climbing) and keeping consistent lap times when the weather really turned biblical.

Rain is bad but the 75km winds were breaking branches/trees, eating gazebos and even took out the main event marquee.

Had to take the piss on the descents to try to make up the time lost elsewhere which is too risky on an endurance event.

We stopped before midnight which was very precient as the race was abandoned at 0700.

Already planning next year as it's an amazing event.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Headed for the hills earlyish this morning to try and avoid afternoon rain that was forecast. Turns out just checking Sally Gap on yr.no doesn't tell you about the drizzle from Tallaght upwards (it wasn't raining at the cross roads...) Glad I brought arm warmers.

I noticed my back tyre felt a bit mushy as I approached Christchurch on the way home, pulled over to take a look and sure enough a tiny piece of glass had wedged itself in and caused a slow puncture. Luckily I happened to be outside P&K Cycles on Patrick St. who allowed me to use one of their track pumps. Strangely enough, I only noticed the shop for the first time two weeks ago while stopped at the lights at Bride Rd.

99.6 km door to door (I already have the Strava Gran Fondo for July :p) with just over 1,000 m climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Just did the longest spin ever with an old mate, who certainly overstated his cycling ability. 74km with a few drags, averaged 26.7km/h. Doesn't feel like a cycle that long, had a stop about 7 times with him. He'd been telling about averaging 30km/h on this particular route, so was looking forward to a good challenge today which I certainly didn't get :(

PS it was a missing spacer causing my cassette problem posted about yesterday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

After a couple of busy 12hr nights, I had to force myself out today. 52km around NCD. Put on the rain jacket I'm Ballyboughal, left it on thankfully. Coming into Swords was a bit Bangladesh like with the rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

secman wrote: »

Hi there - just using Strava app on a mobile phone (nothing else linked to it) - yesterday did 100km - but when I got back and pressed the finish button it had only recorded something like 30km.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1735249852

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

took a left a km or two south of the naul, the road marked for belgee. good god, that's a bumpy twisty road. especially downhill in the wet. had to stop at the bottom to reseat my frame pump, it nearly popped out of the clip with the vibrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭dahat

6 weeks off bike, no exercise of any form bar walking. 3 spins back xk and decides to do a club league race tonight...

Inevitable result.... Shocking how far back I've gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Hi there - just using Strava app on a mobile phone (nothing else linked to it) - yesterday did 100km - but when I got back and pressed the finish button it had only recorded something like 30km

I've been let down by strava once too often. Back to map My Ride and haven't had any problems for the past few months....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Hi there - just using Strava app on a mobile phone (nothing else linked to it) - yesterday did 100km - but when I got back and pressed the finish button it had only recorded something like 30km

I've been let down by strava once too often. Back to map My Ride and haven't had any problems for the past few months....

I use the bicycle / running feature on the Mi-Fit app. Strava on the phone barely records for a few metres, maybe I need to disable the lock screen.

Just the usual 8km / 5 miles to work from south city to Smithfield. Left a bit late, so more traffic than usual. The same junker Transit van drove out in front of me on Church St from Thomas St, but I knew he'd do that, so I just braked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

For those having issues with strava on android, make sure you disable any battery saving applied to the app by adding it to any exclusion list your phone might have, usually found in battery settings. Also make sure you have location services set to high accuracy. Turn location on and off then wait for GPS to reconnect and try again. Had the same issue myself before getting the garmin.

From what I've read recording issues on iOS have been solved since iOS version 11.3 was released.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Buy a gps computer and save your battery :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

May also be cause for a new bike

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

2hrs of 5km mountain bike laps today in that ****ing wind...

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

40km at an average speed of 31.6km/h, a new personal best.

I have been focusing a lot on trying to improve my pedal stroke and cadence. I think I've started to understand it and found something that suits me, at least on the flats. I gained around 3-4km/h with just a different style but what feels like the same effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I gained around 3-4km/h with just a different style but what feels like the same effort.

"It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster" Greg LeMond

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

had my second go at taking the right at the church in howth. forewarned being forearmed, i found it waay easier this time. and this time, i took the right up windgate road, which i didn't do the first time.

72km around NCD. Brilliant weather but hard to cool down after. Not that I'm complaining, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Finally got under 6mins for the cruagh bridge to bridge segment

screen-shot-2016-12-14-at-4-25-12-pm.png

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

120KM with 2k odd climbing. The Iron Man crew in 2wks have noooo idea what they're in for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Leisurely 30km Spin with a pint or two around the dingle peninsula on he road bike with a friend.

Then took the mountain bike on the beach. That was fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Went out for a spin today and ended up staying out for 4hrs in order to try get some km's in the bank.

Back road from Clonmel to Carrick then Carrick to Kilmacthomas, some of the worst roads to travel with a still sensitive saddle area after surgery, clever stuff Dahat!!!

I dropped into the Coach House for coffee and was 30c short for a coffee n brownie so the kind sales assistant asked me what I wanted to leave behind, an already sweaty cyclist was now annoyed & sweaty, drank my coffee and went on my way dreaming of said brownie!

Took the easy route to Kilmeadan vua the Greenway and at times it was like negotiating a nervous A4 Peleton with folk all over the place. The Greenway users seem to think that 3 abreast facing you is grand once they slow down while you pass, odd folk.

All in all 112k at 27.9 avg which wasn't great but I tried to keep my HR at 150 as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

35km today. Little tour of north Germany. Steinbergkirche, Sterup, Sörup, down and around the country roads (which have cycling direction signs). Stopped off for an ice cream too because I'm the epitome of good health.

fairly flat 110k out past bective and tara and back. 28km/h average.

• Advertisement

After a few beers etc last night in town, I didn't think I'd even be opening the shed let alone getting out on the bike. Anyway, 81km. Happy with that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement