Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

After being on antibiotics last week, which had me floored, I was hoping to do around 30km today just to see how the legs were. Ended up doing 58 , plenty of cyclists around, funnily enough all of those I encountered were in the Ballyboughal area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

40Km this evening, probably left it a little late as it was getting pretty dark at the end but was grand otherwise, lots of respect from other road users!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Tuesday club spin which means a mad gallop around the roads, enjoyed the buzz n the feeling of fast legs again though they did give out eventually.

Now Dahat don't be harbouring any thoughts of possibly racing in the Lucan GP.... You arent fit enough...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

lovely evening tonight. wind died off for a nice balmy evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

A little over 70km @27km/hr 632 elevation gain

Started off with a hill climb...It was the back way to woodcock hill. Massive mistake, I was not ready for it. Fell off when I lost momentum. But afterwards it was a grand spin, a lot of racers out it seemed, either that or I'm just truly terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

Beetled off from work a bit early and took the long way home seeing as the weather was so nice. 73km. Need to put some effort in so I don't fail miserably on the Rebel Tour in a couple of weeks time.

Did a Tour of the Boyne Valley of sorts this morning. Headed out towards Oldbridge via rathmullen rd then left on to the Slane rd then took the next left and passed Dowth, Newgrange and then the narrow rd out to Knowth.

I headed for Slane then and most if not all the cars were coming against me on the N51 and the ones that weren't were well behaved which was a relief to be honest as it's not a road I like and rarely take.

Left in Slane onto the N2 over the bridge and left again after fenor castle over to Rosnaree and Donore and home.

Just over 34km in about 2 hours or so due to stopping to gawk at a few spots along the way and have a chat for a bit with some people from Bristol looking for directions and recommendations for places to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Headed out for a handy spin, using small ring foe a bit. Just a short spin out to the Lamb, left turn for manor kilbride and back by Lisheen and home 32.5 km 26.3 kph AVG.

40Km this evening, probably left it a little late as it was getting pretty dark at the end but was grand otherwise, lots of respect from other road users!

I was planning on heading out at half 8 the other night for a short spin and realised on my way to the shed I'd not have much light left so decided against it. I likely say it every year but it's unreal how fast the dark evening seem to creep back in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i got back today at 8:40, was as late as i would have chanced it without a light - probably 20 minutes earlier if it had been cloudy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Had the lights on, as did my mate who was out with me, so was all good. Really noticed it though, between straffan and celbridge it got very suddenly dark, was 9.30 getting home though!! Hence my last comment!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭G1032

"Have you any petrol or diesel?"
    I just shake my head
    "Well, have you?"
    "Am, no" says I

I'd have thought the cycling helmet on my head might have given her a clue. Evidently not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,922 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

G1032 wrote: »
    I just shake my head
    "Well, have you?"
    "Am, no" says I

I'd have thought the cycling helmet on my head might have given her a clue. Evidently not.

you might have been on one of these bad boys:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/motorized-bike/19479572

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

G1032 wrote: »
    I just shake my head
    "Well, have you?"
    "Am, no" says I

I get that regularly. I usually point to the helmet and say nothing until the penny drops.

does this happen when you're out on the road? or waiting in a petrol station forecourt?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

does this happen when you're out on the road? or waiting in a petrol station forecourt?
    When reaching the till to pay for a Coke etc.

I've had it a couple of times too. Last time a woman behind me in the queue nearly wet herself laughing she thought it was so funny. Took the young lad behind the till a second to realise what was so funny before joining in the laughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Charging up my winter lights for this evening... summer is done I think

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭devonp

Afternoon spin over to Manor Kilbride, took shelter under a tree in Brittas from the rain, skies became black rain got heavier, thunder & lightning (decided not such a good idea under a tree) moved off down Lisheen south, really dark even heavier rain, by the end at the T junction it was hail bouncing off the ground, soaked but managed to get to the shop and took shelter and a nice warm coffee for 10-15 mins, cleared up some so got going again, but felt frozen, went up the Lamb to warm up:P, it seemed to work but the Garmin said 4.6C at the top. by the time i got to Ardclough sun was out and was pleasantly warm:D

as above is summer over???

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

mloc123 wrote:
    Charging up my winter lights for this evening... summer is done I think

Did this on Weds night, got home from work and was on the bike at 7.30, back home at 8.45 after 33km. Thoroughly dislike this time of year. And it was cool & blustery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

rushfan wrote: »
    Did this on Weds night, got home from work and was on the bike at 7.30, back home at 8.45 after 33km. Thoroughly dislike this time of year. And it was cool & blustery.

I kinda enjoy it... this is when I get the local park back to myself. Endless 6km loops in the pitch dark and no walkers or dogs to worry about.

My second ever spin on a road bike this evening. 57.3km @27.7km/h and 682 m elevation gain.

Had to use my brother's bike again as went to collect the one I ordered in the bike shop this afternoon and it wasn't ready. However, this time I did have a pair of cycling shorts so my arse was spared.

Although it was a shorter spin than my first last Sunday, I felt fitter and stronger tonight. But it was very windy so while we were 1 Kim/h faster than first longer spin, we had to work harder as it was very windy.

Was pretty tired by the end but I managed to keep my momentum on the final climb home and was pretty happy.

I got home and my wife had gone to Ramen and offered me a choice of Thai Green Curry or Singapore Noodles. I ate both and collapsed on the couch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭positron

Attempted the Drogheda-Dundrum commute again this morning after a week off running and cycling - I was feeling burned out and tired and had taken a mini break from everything. And I felt it today - crosswind felt like headwind, legs heavy and weak, and it was nippy. Overall 20 mins slower than last few attempts. I was planning on riding back in the evening as well, but took the bus after looking up wind forecast. Sustained 25kmph headwind doesn't appeal to me at all.

58k, 23kph approximate average.

positron wrote: »
    Attempted the Drogheda-Dundrum commute again this morning after a week off running and cycling - I was feeling burned out and tired and had taken a mini break from everything. And I felt it today - crosswind felt like headwind, legs heavy and weak, and it was nippy. Overall 20 mins slower than last few attempts. I was planning on riding back in the evening as well, but took the bus after looking up wind forecast. Sustained 25kmph headwind doesn't appeal to me at all.

58k, 23kph approximate average.

You get that smell of **** around Drogheda this morning??? I sure as hell did last night and on a 20km spin towards donore this morning. Some farmers spreading manure somewhere local. Autumn is here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭positron

Yeah there was a stench alright, although I didn't connect the dots at the time and assumed it was related to the milk processing plant. The sweet smell of new growth! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

You get that smell of **** around Drogheda this morning??? I sure as hell did last night and on a 20km spin towards donore this morning. Some farmers spreading manure somewhere local. Autumn is here :D

Yeah, noticed it yesterday, while I was washing my bike. F***ing terrible.
    I live off Dublin Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Tipped out west this morning.... 63km avg 28kmph 523m climb lovely morning

https://www.strava.com/activities/1795870168

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Hit another milestone yesterday so planned on doing a 61 mile spin to mark the occasion which equates to 98 km, so went to ballyedmund and on towards Ferns via The Harrow, left for Enniscorthy and on to the Rosslare roundabout and into Wexford town, return via coast road to Curracloe, Blackwater, Kilmuckridge, Ballygarrett , Killenagh and home. 101.5 km avg speed of just under 28 kph... 27.9. Got caught in heavy traffic getting through Enniscorthy and Wexford town.
    A nice birthday solo spin though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Woke up to Biblical rain, so dressed accordingly, gabba, overshoes etc. Stopped raining the moment I left and i was overdressed.

Anyway, set out on one of my usual routes, but decided that was bit boring and went for Swords, turned to Balheary Avenue and made my way to Balbriggan via Ardgillan Castle. Went for Naul from the otherside for once and stopped for a delicious scone but a soso coffee. Refueled, I headed for Ballyboughal, turned off towards Oldtown, but instead took a right on the linking road and went down some L road that brought me past Roganstown and lots of farms. Home with a filthy bike, but 68 very enjoyable kms.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1798588258

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Not quite today, but had the last round of the 3 Counties Interclub League on thursday. Pipped on the line for the win in the B race as there was a crash beside me and as I glanced around to see what happened, I eased up for a split second and the other guy in the mix stole a half a bike length. Next time I won't be so compassionate towards my fellow cyclists ;)

TDon97k.jpg
    Kson1kp.jpg
    FbHrpar.jpg
    PEI1I16.jpg

Thankfully the other lad wasn't too badly hurt although he'll need new kit and will be a bit tender for a while.
    I really enjoyed the club racing this year. It was a good reality check too as I'm a good bit away from being properly ready for open racing and the effort needed to get there may not be worth the hassle. On the other hand, racing with a good bunch of lads pulling well together to keep away from the scratch group every night was great craic.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1792898445

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement