Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭dahat

How did he crash?

Club racing is great craic but I've never been in a B group that worked together to stay away from scratch. Lads love to wait up and get mullered by A1/A2 lads for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

AFAIK He unclipped by accident in the sprint and hit the road. We managed to keep the scratch group off us in all bar one race, they didn't work as well together with a couple of the strongest lads burning the others early then not having enough left to catch us whereas we all held steady as close to our limits as possible and helping each other around til the last km or so and then went for it.
    I was a great league for the weaker riders to get a feel for racing without being blown to bits early on and packing it in. And also , good motivation to do some winter training to be in better shape for next year ;)

Fair play to ye and keep up the hard work, sure that's what winter is all about really.

That shot of the Cervelo mid air and heading for a drive way is gold !!!!! Almost as if to say to the guy on ground "right, I'm off home" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Doc07

That shot of the Cervelo mid air and heading for a drive way is gold !!!!! Almost as if to say to the guy on ground "right, I'm off home" :D

Looks like the invisible man, having read all about A4 sprints on boards, decided not to risk his Cervelo in the sprint.

Ps hope poor lad on the deck is ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Club yearly spin today. 102km. Haven't been out much lately, and 3/4 up scrine Hill I felt it. Had to get off and hobble to the top. The last 20k I ran out of power in my legs and trundled into ballinasloe at around 20-23kph. I nearly stopped but pure stubbornness kept me going. Need to get back out twice a week at least. 4th 100k this year. Beer and chinese will be had very shortly....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Getting closer to the 100k

I stopped to get a bite to eat in mullinavat and stupidly fell, I was a bit sore and slower there after!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1796373107/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1535306161

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just in from a spin up around howth a couple of times; blustery and i'd mistakenly thought the rain had passed. didn't get too wet, thankfully.

Wimped out of the club spin due to rain so for my sins I decided to do two turbo sessions, 1h 15mins with threshold & tempo work then a 25min session with 4 x 30 sec sprints to failure within it, I failed alright but enjoyed the fact that this was the first time doing two turbo sessions back to back.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Rather blustery today when heading West, great heading East though. Anyway, 59km and I would have done more only I committed to collecting the youngest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Where did that big yellow thing in the sky go?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Went out for a handy 57/60km spin....Turned into 109km spin with an average speed of 30.4km/h shattered and sore now...Miss the sun all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Over 3000 Km this year and today was my trip with a +30Kph average. 30.1
    It was done on a couple laps of the Ennis bypass so not exactly something to write home about just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Over 3000 Km this year and today was my trip with a +30Kph average. 30.1
    It was done on a couple laps of the Ennis bypass so not exactly something to write home about just yet.

On the motorway or the link road to the Abbey Roundabout?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    On the motorway or the link road to the Abbey Roundabout?

N85 from motorway to Lahinch road. two laps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

First time out since the Moynalty GP crash. Only the commute, nothing strange and no incidents, but feels like a start despite feeling the rib/ actually appreciating how rough the N11 cycle lanes are!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Club spin last night, did a warm up at the start and then 35km with about 25 from the club. Club numbers going from strength to strength
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1806185280

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Saw a bad one on my cycle home after work. On the Clontarf/Sutton track, at the very beginning, there was a few young girls with a labrador puppy off the lead. Dog ran out onto the cycle track and the guy a good bit in front of my crashed straight into the pup. Cyclist hit the deck hard and dog yelped and went off running. Ran straight out onto the road and off beyond. Poor dog was freaking out.

The cyclists was pissed, and looked mostly okay, but he was holding his wrist. I didn't stop for too long, as he seemed grand enough. But a pretty bad incident all the same. I think the dog came out from behind the sand bags so I'm not certain the cyclist could see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...The cyclists was pissed,.. .
    As in drunk (or pissed off)?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Saw a bad one on my cycle home after work. On the Clontarf/Sutton track, at the very beginning, there was a few young girls with a labrador puppy off the lead. Dog ran out onto the cycle track and the guy a good bit in front of my crashed straight into the pup. Cyclist hit the deck hard and dog yelped and went off running. Ran straight out onto the road and off beyond. Poor dog was freaking out.

The cyclists was pissed, and looked mostly okay, but he was holding his wrist. I didn't stop for too long, as he seemed grand enough. But a pretty bad incident all the same. I think the dog came out from behind the sand bags so I'm not certain the cyclist could see it.

The track again...

On my way in to work at about 9.40 I saw one cyclist lying in the road where the stop/go system was. The workmen were tending to him. He looked like a roadie. Looked like it had just happened but I didn't see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Macy0161 wrote:
    First time out since the Moynalty GP crash. Only the commute, nothing strange and no incidents, but feels like a start despite feeling the rib/ actually appreciating how rough the N11 cycle lanes are!

The ribs take a long time to heal. I came off four weeks ago and had a herline fracture on two and five were bruised. Anytime im pulling out of the saddle i can feel a tweak so iv just been staying seated the past two weeks and will so for the next two. The fear of becoming slow again outweighs the pain :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

The ribs take a long time to heal. I came off four weeks ago and had a herline fracture on two and five were bruised. Anytime im pulling out of the saddle i can feel a tweak so iv just been staying seated the past two weeks and will so for the next two. The fear of becoming slow again outweighs the pain :D

Crashed and hurt ribs twice. Took 6 weeks to go back to normal both times. No idea if there was a fracture or not. But every normal breath hurt for weeks. Deep breaths during exercise were quite painful

As in drunk (or pissed off)?

Oops. No no, just angry! Understandably enough I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Got spat on by a fellow cyclist this morning just as I moved out to overtake him, felt like planting him...along the canal, he could at least aim for the grass or check his bloody shoulder first :mad:

Got spat on by a fellow cyclist this morning just as I moved out to overtake him, felt like planting him...along the canal, he could at least aim for the grass or check his bloody shoulder first :mad:

That's happened to me before, and I've had someone blow snot all over me... disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Whatever about a complete stranger, it's particularly annoying when it happens on a club ride. :(

Whatever about a complete stranger, it's particularly annoying when it happens on a club ride. :(

Unfortunately it's a regular occurrence, only hock at the back please.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

40km of eating midges along the canal for me this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I did it once unintentionally while commuting. I think he was drafting me, and I let rip to the inside without checking fully. I was very apologetic, but he didn't want to know.

• Advertisement

My third cycle on a road bike and first on my own bike, which I collected on Monday and was dying to try out.

Cycled with my brother on the main road from Cork to Clonakilty and back. Just shy of 100k in total and 28.5k average as it was a flat road and not a lot of wind.

Fell off for the first time at a roundabout about two minutes from home. Unclipped on the approach but must have clipped back in without realising it and landed on the footpath in front of loads of cars. Nothing more than a grazed knee, a cut finger and a bruised ego.

Nice spin and managed to stay dry apart from a little drizzle. Starting to get into this cycling lark now...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement