Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i managed to cycle into the back of a car today while leaving the office. at about 2km/h. no damage at all, but had to stick my hand out onto the rear windscreen, to stop myself falling over, so i think i gave the driver a bit of a start. a little embarrassing, but he was sound about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Another "Tempo" spin tonight.. up embankment left at Lisheen, around by Castle to bridge at back of Blessington and back to Manor Kilbride, up to the Lamb and back on n81 to Tallaght. 42km avg 30.1 kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭The Davestator

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Take the wheels off the bike, let the air out of the tyres, pinch the sidewalls together so any cuts in the tread open up. Then dig out the bits of glass etc. Also, if you always put the tyre on the rim in the same place (line up tyre label with valve) and the punctures all land in the same place then you've got something embedded in the tyre that you haven't removed.

Did that today and low and behold a couple of tiny shards of glass embedded in the tyre. Not sticking through on either the inside or outside but obviously causing tiny punctures.

Thank you very much for that - never had that happen before. Tyres are now retired whilst I wait on my new super duper kevlar one's

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Take the wheels off the bike, let the air out of the tyres, pinch the sidewalls together so any cuts in the tread open up. Then dig out the bits of glass etc. Also, if you always put the tyre on the rim in the same place (line up tyre label with valve) and the punctures all land in the same place then you've got something embedded in the tyre that you haven't removed.

Good advice here. I do that regularly enough on mine with a little pen knife to pop out shards of glass. There's almost always something there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭positron

Drogheda-Dundrum commute again. Bright crisp morning for riding and plenty of cyclists out enjoying it. But after 2.5 hours in it without gloves, not pleasant.

Also it's very humbling to see another person (surely a boardsie?) started from Drogheda nearly an hour after me and was threatening to overtake me before getting to city center...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1824802656

That and old ladies riding comfy looking bikes with large panniers and yet staying ahead of me no matter what I do... darn those ebikes. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

positron wrote: »
    ..... and old ladies riding comfy looking bikes with large panniers and yet staying ahead of me no matter what I do... darn those ebikes. :)
    I had an elderly gentleman drafting me for a few kms in the Swords area a few days ago. Was wondering why I had trouble shaking him off until the penny dropped! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

First time out in a week, 66km and just about every other cyclist I met was Autumn dressed. One guy even had a full face balaclava on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I can't not share this one.

460607.png

460608.png

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

Raam wrote: »

460607.png

460608.png

Savage...well done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

https://www.strava.com/activities/1827234056

Tough day out in Clifden yesterday, rained the whole way, roads very slippy, especially on the descents...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Dublin city centre out to howth and back. Savage westerly wind meant i flew out and was peddling squares back.
    Been on hols and no cycling for 3 wks, nice to ease back into it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to the cyclist i stared out of it earlier, it was an absent minded 'oh, i wonder if that's borderfox' stare, rather than possibly hostile, which i'm afraid was how it might have come across. by the time i realised i should turn it into a friendly nod, i realised i was overshooting my turn.

anyway, that was a blustery morning for whoever was doing the boyne valley or the pieta house spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

retalivity wrote: »
    Dublin city centre out to howth and back. Savage westerly wind meant i flew out and was peddling squares back.
    Been on hols and no cycling for 3 wks, nice to ease back into it.

Exactly my experience, plus I was with with my (relative beginner) wife, who I had to assist (push) on the way back. She calls me her e-bike :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Any reports on the Rebel Tour? I don't think there's a separate thread on it this year? Looks like it might have been a damp one!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,752 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Club spin today went west today to catch the tailwind home.

A small crew but had a Ras stage winner & previous Irish Champion with us who gave me tales of the Ras whilst dying a death on Christ the King in Tipp Town in less than ideal conditions.

Having a 1pm deadline meant a good clip home which was made all the more enjoyable with a tailwind!!! Within the group we had a lad who shall we say could pull a truck on his own so sitting on the front with him is always good fun, safe to say we were left to our devices while the lads behind hung on at times. Needless to say I made it home in loads of time.

100km at 31.4 avg on rolling outward roads was a good Sunday spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Today, for about the third time this season, I was faced with an oncoming car in my lane while they overtook another vehicle. They are also way over the speed limit for the road when they do it. It happened on the Clane road which is very straight with good visibility. No excuse not to wait for me to pass before they make their move.

The fcukers have no regard to cyclists and how fast they may be coming in the opposite direction. They assume they will complete the manoeuver and be back on their side of the road before the cyclist comes by. That didn't happen today - the car was still halfway on my side of the road when it past by me. Not a nice experience.

I'll probably invest in a decent HD camera and shame these cnuts the next time it happens.

I've thought many times about a camera but looking at close calls after each spin plus my wife seeing same has stopped me, they really don't need to see the horror we face each spin.

dahat wrote:
    I've thought many times about a camera but looking at close calls after each spin plus my wife seeing same has stopped me, they really don't need to see the horror we face each spin.

When I return from a cycle, Mrs Rushfan usually asks how it went, where I visited etc. I never tell her about any close pass. Not worth it.

rushfan wrote: »
    When I return from a cycle, Mrs Rushfan usually asks how it went, where I visited etc. I never tell her about any close pass. Not worth it.

Same here, she worries enough as it is after I smashed myself up this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The correct response to anytime you are asked how your cycle was is "grand".

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote:
    The correct response to anytime you are asked how your cycle was is "grand".

That can be a problem too. "How does this look on me? "Grand". "How was work?" " Grand ". "How was the dinner?" "Grand". "How was your mother today?" "Grand". You get my drift??? Grand!!

dahat wrote: »
    they really don't need to see the horror we face each spin.
    ah here, there's not horror on each spin.
    there's nothing that's happened me on the bike my wife doesn't know about. i think she dislikes hearing about the boring stuff more so than the hair-raising stuff.

I don't tell herself about stuff on the road as she's just too good at coming up with stuff to say in retort to the poo some spout and then I'll be all like I wish I was that quick witted :D

Though her thing when we lived in Dublin and encountered way more idiots on our commute was to be dramatic about putting her hearing aid in (hearing loss in once side as a child but can hear on the right ok just annoys her on the bike) and the change in attitude to the person shouting abuse was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Sigh.. single life, my dog doesn't really care what happened once I bring him out after

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Raam wrote: »

460607.png

460608.png

You know where to find us...

i thought raam was kicked out of audax ireland for being too stylish?

i thought raam was kicked out of audax ireland for being too stylish?
    Well for a start you can be assured he did that 300k ride without saddle bag or mudguards and had socks, mitts and helmet perfectly matching and going by the elapsed time versus moving time, there was no wimping about in coffee shops.

I'm the same as she'll probably say "you were probably all over the feckin' road annoying every motorist".

Anyway, back on topic - a little jaunt in northern Italy with the Gavia and Stelvio thrown in to make it interesting (PS - the elevation is a bit exagerated - should be around 4,000m - those Alpine tunnels seem to set it askew):

https://www.strava.com/activities/1832643961

just back from my second pop at kilmashogue. it gets easier - this time i only had to stop once.

started raining just as i reached the top, which made the descent a bit more interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

just back from my second pop at kilmashogue. it gets easier - this time i only had to stop once.

started raining just as i reached the top, which made the descent a bit more interesting.

It is a whole lot work for what is a cul-de-sac and pretty unpleasant descent. For me the nicer spin is to do it on the CX bike or old hybrid, take a left at forest car park and follow the Coilte trail up and across to three rock and the masts. The descents down Kellystown road and Ticknock road are much more fun. Probably not quite as challenging as the road climb but still a good old climb and fantastic views from the top.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement