Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,752 ✭✭✭✭dahat

mloc123 wrote: »
    Really? I always see winter as the time to build. Good solid months with no interruptions for races.

Fair point but the intensity has to drop for midweek stuff, cant keep hammering away at VO2 for 2 months.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

lovely morning for a commute, with the sun rising over dublin bay.

anyone know what run was on this morning?
    loads of people running around and near sean moore park this morning - was clearly an organised run. saw at least half a dozen runners dressed as penguins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

anyone know what run was on this morning?
    loads of people running around and near sean moore park this morning - was clearly an organised run. saw at least half a dozen runners dressed as penguins.

Was a 'Networking on the run' event for delegates attending the ESRA conference at The Convention Centre. Saw some of them this morning but missed the penguins!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Was a 'Networking on the run' event for delegates attending the ESRA conference at The Convention Centre. Saw some of them this morning but missed the penguins!

There's a peep show type skit in that somewhere. Some misfortune who last ran for the school bus in 2003 trying to keep up with a guy who stopped in the middle of the iron-man to do 1,000 press ups, just so he could ask him to co-author a paper.

Imagine some of them walking around the conference later trying to hide the twisted ankles and tight muscles. A hard thing to do at a conference of pain therapists.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

leaving work today and i was thinking my front tyre was a little low; just as i was lifting my hand off the handlebars to reach down and pinch it to confirm, whatever piece of my brain was still awake said 'best not do that considering you're doing 20km/h'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

leaving work today and i was thinking my front tyre was a little low; just as i was lifting my hand off the handlebars to reach down and pinch it to confirm, whatever piece of my brain was still awake said 'best not do that considering you're doing 20km/h'.
    I think there's a name for that thought process. Not as extreme as the call of the void when standing by a cliff edge or train track, but more akin to the struggle to keep your hands to yourself while thinking "I bet that hob is hot", or "that jigsaw blade sure looks sharp".

an old boss of mine once saw someone punch the big red emergency power off button in a server room. 'i was curious what it was supposed to do' was the excuse, i think. despite there being an 'only in case of emergency' warning above it.

just shy of 60km around the blessington lakes with a bunch of lads i've not been out with before. one poor sod got his rear derailleur tangled up in his spokes climbing out of hollywood and took a tumble - thankfully, it looks like the serious damage was just to the hanger and RD itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,752 ✭✭✭✭dahat

A solo coffee Spin for, took it fairly handy as per this time of year requires.

Delicious coffee n scone in the Lazy Bean in Cahir fuelled hr2, enjoyable if quiet spin.

65km at 29.9 avg....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

I went from Carlow to Bunclody over Mount Leinster into Borris and back to Carlow.

I need to take a leaf from the descent thread I was slow going down I need bigger balls don't know why I've a fear of falling.

87km @25 km average that ascent killed me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Headed out at 10, going up through River Valley I noticed my next door neighbour passing slowly by me , I nodded at her son who nodded back, she slowed for a speed ramp, and suddenly hung a sharp left just as I was about level with the back bumper. Thankfully I managed to stay upright but it was a tad scary. I was outside a few minutes ago, she walked by & muttered a sheepish "Hi". No point in pursuing it anyway as there's a language issue. Anyway, 74km, loads out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Well for a start you can be assured he did that 300k ride without saddle bag or mudguards and had socks, mitts and helmet perfectly matching and going by the elapsed time versus moving time, there was no wimping about in coffee shops.

Sorry to spoil the image but...

461355.jpg

My socks were awesome though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Headed out about 7:20 ish am on a fairly damp road out n81 to blessington and did the lake drive. Back via Manor Kilbride and home. LOTS of groups out today , saw 2 groups of Tallaght Wheelers stuck at the stop and go near Brittas due to hedge cutting. I couldnt make the spin with them as I needed to be back for 10 am.
    70.km and a slowish 26.6 AVG. Heavy legs this morning ??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Raam wrote: »
    Sorry to spoil the image but....
    Damn. I can forgive the saddle bag and pump but those hideous 750ml club bottles! The Long Woman will be turning in her grave.

(....and we wont mention the non-drive side pic).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Damn. I can forgive the saddle bag and pump but those hideous 750ml club bottles! The Long Woman will be turning in her grave.

(....and we wont mention the non-drive side pic).

I know, I know... it was the half-way point and I was tired. Some very steep hills to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

45km this evening at an average of 29.5kmph - bit of a westerly against me on the way out, had the benefit of it from Spiddal back in...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1846383206

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

40km for me today, bringing me up to 240 for the week. Planned 60-70 but woke up at 7am... Looked out and lay back down.

Rain cleared and it was like a summer afternoon when I went out at 1 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

just shy of 70k yesterday morning, and what a lovely morning it turned out to be! Even the sun came out with the last 10k to go. Ballydangan, Ballinasloe, Aughrim, Cappataggle, New Inn, Kilconnell, Ballinasloe and Home:-) Strong headwind all the way to Cappataggle:-( Haven't been out for much lately so 24.5kph. 2.49hours in the saddle. Changed back to Strava from Mapmyride for a while to see how it goes...

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

63km this morning, seemed calm when I left but bloody hell, that wind!!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

rushfan wrote: »
    63km this morning, seemed calm when I left but bloody hell, that wind!!

Yeah savage headwind, 45km in this morning, coming along the coast from Malahide-Portmarnock I looked down at the Garmin and I was hitting 14kmh on a flat road!!!! Wobbling all over the place.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Nasty wind alright, I decided to go south this morning, for an easier return journey - Dublin city centre to Kilmacanogue, and up to Calary (turned back as it was sideways drizzle at that altitude). Speeds in the high teens/low twenties going south but, wind-assisted, I hit 68 going north on the N11 descent just before the Enniskerry turn. 54km at av 24.8km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

https://www.strava.com/activities/1847462205

60km around NCD - windy but warm enough. Did a normal route but in the opposite direction

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

3.8km through rush hour Dublin. Felt bloody good to be back in the saddle

25km with my Mam (She's 64) this morning on her heavy old halfords MTB. Haven't been on a bike ride with her since I was a kid. Took us 2.5 hours what with stopping to chat to people she knew and pointing out who used to live here and there and who was dead :D

Best day in the saddle in ages !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Was going great this morning, flying in thanks to a nice tail wind, then it all went wrong! Got the flat at Goldenbridge, went to swap in the new tube and the valve connection got stuck in the pump and came out from the stem of the valve (see below). Managed o fix it but happened again and got properly stuck in the pump this time, so had to walk (in the rain) to harolds cross to T Delaney and Son. Fixed it for me in a few so grabbed some tubes and CO2 off him and then into work!

Left at 6.45 got to work at 9.15! Fun times

461552.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well yesterday was interesting on the commute home. I didn't quite appreciate how strong the tail wind was until I looked down at my Garmin and saw I was tipping along at 50+km/h without much effort and overtaking traffic outside St.Annes park, I then put the boot down and touch 60km/h for a couple of seconds. All of this on the flat. Great craic, no KOMs for my wind assisted effort, but ranked top 10 on that busy stretch!

And of course I paid the price this morning with that brutal headwind into work. I was lucky to get above 25km/h, lets see what the evening brings I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Out yesterday evening straight after work, was nice and warm, but windy! Started off great with a tail wind, truckin along around 30-35kph until i turned into the wind, that slowed me down, and the last 5k it was kinda heavy misty rain. Had to take off the glasses to see the road. 21k but felt great after. avg 26.5kph. Forgot to have a slice of toast with p'nutbutter before heading out and was starving when I got back in. Inhaled my dinner in my wet gear before having a shower....Mental note, ALWAYS bring a bar, even if not hungry leaving....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Tomorrow morning is meant to be worse/better for winds! At least I'll have something to push me up the hills

• Registered Users Posts: 26 saganfan

Well yesterday was interesting on the commute home. I didn't quite appreciate how strong the tail wind was until I looked down at my Garmin and saw I was tipping along at 50+km/h without much effort and overtaking traffic outside St.Annes park, I then put the boot down and touch 60km/h for a couple of seconds. All of this on the flat. Great craic, no KOMs for my wind assisted effort, but ranked top 10 on that busy stretch!

And of course I paid the price this morning with that brutal headwind into work. I was lucky to get above 25km/h, lets see what the evening brings I suppose.

I worked from home yesterday and felt supremely lazy and bused it in from Clontarf this morning. Would definitely have been a fun return trip anyway! Might go out later this afternoon to Howth, looks like it'll be a bit mental tomorrow so might not risk the cycle commute or training ride until Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Covered in muck this morning, my bike is filthy and I only cleaned it on Saturday. I really have to get this commuter bike ready, I really don't want to destroy the good bike and the canal is so busy, I'm bound to have a tip.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement