Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,285 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

yesterday's commute was perfect weather, no wind etc. This morning felt like there was a head wind all the way in with a light shower thrown in for good measure

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Out for 34km today with one hard effort in the middle, headwind was really bad on exposed roads.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1849447988

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Back in work today (and suffering) after a long weekend in Provence.

Met some friends from the UK on a cycling themed stag party (never a good idea).Based ourselves in Bédoin.

Rode Ventoux from Bédoin on the Saturday and descended into Sault for lunch and back through the Nesque gorge where we happened upon a UCI womens pro cycling stage race the TCFIA,which was a thrill to witness, and then onto to Villes-sur-Auzon for a few cold ones and then back to Bédoin for more self harm......

Sunday morning I rode back up Ventoux with a very much depleted stag party :) from Malaucène with an unbelievably sore head,we had to wait on the summit for the road to reopen after the annual Ventoux motor sport hill climb featuring Ferraris,Lamborghinis and Maseratis.

A small cafe on the summit provided much welcomed shelter as the winds and mist set in and the temperature plummeted.

Fred, the best man and stag party organiser drove a support vehicle all weekend,he owns a small independent brewery in Lancashire,brought over the bikes and a couple of kegs and kept us all fully hydrated :D:D

Brilliant weekend!

When I was out earlier I spotted a tractor up ahead on the left looking to get out so I sat up and waved him out as I didn't want him behind me on a narrowish road. I normally don't mind it but the smell of manure from the trailer was so strong it brought tears to my eyes :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

When I was out earlier I spotted a tractor up ahead on the left looking to get out so I sat up and waved him out as I didn't want him behind me on a narrowish road. I normally don't mind it but the smell of manure from the trailer was so strong it brought tears to my eyes :o

Ah yes, the sweet smell of the countryside. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

Commute into work. Nice tailwind all the way. Going home is going to be a b*tch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dx1200

First post here. So hello everyone. Enjoying reading the threads so far.

Did a short (slow) 36km yesterday eve up to Military Road from Churchtown. Had planned on doing 50 (base camp) but just got fed up of the headwind and bailed after 25. After I descended I thought this was not the attitude of cyclist so I climbed back up to the top.

Then the lazy devil on my shoulder said "due to the headwind you have put in more effort in 36k than 50k. It's your birthday go home for cake." So I headed home and ate cake.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1849514742

Be careful up there, if the wind is the same as yesterday you could easily end up in the ditch. Also impossible to hear cars.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

dx1200 wrote: »
    First post here. So hello everyone. Enjoying reading the threads so far.

Did a short (slow) 36km yesterday eve up to Military Road from Churchtown. Had planned on doing 50 (base camp) but just got fed up of the headwind and bailed after 25. After I descended I thought this was not the attitude of cyclist so I climbed back up to the top.

Then the lazy devil on my shoulder said "due to the headwind you have put in more effort in 36k than 50k. It's your birthday go home for cake." So I headed home and ate cake.

Be careful up there, if the wind is the same as yesterday you could easily end up in the ditch. Also impossible to hear cars.

John

That is good going considering that wind, fair play. I can't see the strava link, maybe you have it set to private...

That is good going considering that wind, fair play. I can't see the strava link, maybe you have it set to private...

Not sure why, it is set to public.

Try this actually - https://www.relive.cc/view/1849514742

Was nearly in reverse one or twice.
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

dx1200 wrote:

For the climbing to distance ratio and with the wind, that is far from slow. Keep up the good work. :)

• Advertisement

For the climbing to distance ratio and with the wind, that is far from slow. Keep up the good work. :)

Thanks Paul. Next move is find a club for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Man it is warm cycling in - if you commute, and you work in a business casual office, does anyone cycle in with their work attire on? This morning, I had to roll it up and put it in a backpack, held up quite well.

It was quite enjoyable passing out the long line of traffic stuck at the traffic lights :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Windy this morning but a loss less cyclists than usual on the canal. A lot of fallen debris though.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Man it is warm cycling in - if you commute, and you work in a business casual office, does anyone cycle in with their work attire on? This morning, I had to roll it up and put it in a backpack, held up quite well.

It was quite enjoyable passing out the long line of traffic stuck at the traffic lights :)

It is very warm still. I have showers in work which is handy.

I was sweating this morning, even with the strong wind. Broke several PR's today too. Wind assisted. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It is very warm still. I have showers in work which is handy.

I was sweating this morning, even with the strong wind. Broke several PR's today too. Wind assisted. :cool:

There is a shower here too, but as I cycle only about 4.6-5km I dont think its worth it. Was sweating alright and broke a fastest split time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 saganfan

Nicer cycle in today, although a fair bit of debris about. Looks like it's gonna piss on the way home, and I had hoped to get a Howth spin in this evening :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Good test of your wetgear...

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

Out at 8:50 and home by 11:00 55km all in and not a drop of rain:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

That was a cold commute this morning ....
    #Brrrrrrrr

RobFowl wrote: »
    That was a cold commute this morning ....
    #Brrrrrrrr

It bloody well was. I forgot my bloomin' gloves as well because they got soaked yesterday evening and i left them on the shaggin' radiator.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Didn't think I'd need the winter jersey this early in the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

T'was a lovely swim home yesterday though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

GDBR 105km, av 28km/h in 3hr 46mins.

Time for a shower...

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

GDBR 103 km 3h5m.would have broke 3 hours but a flat sapped my motivation :(.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Same as the previous 2. Did it Solo, cramped at 70-75 k but recovered to get going agaian. 3 hrs 35 mins at 29kmph. Would've been a bit quicker but for the cramp, slow start and my solo mission. Could've recovered with some more groups.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1860246370

The very short cycle home (7 km) was a bit of a struggle.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

GDBR, great craic and met some friends on the route I hadn't seen for a while :)

28.5kph average with a few coffee stops and regroupings.

Also got to drive Koutobia's monster home which was nice too ...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

RobFowl wrote: »
    GDBR, great craic and met some friends on the route I hadn't seen for a while :)

28.5kph average with a few coffee stops and regroupings.

Also got to drive Koutobia's monster home which was nice too ...

There was a marshall who I thought was you, until I heard there solid Dublin accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Recovery ride today after successive nights out. Flat 55km loop in mid-clare with the wind alternating between being a plus and a minus throughout.
    Electrolytes in water from start was big help to the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

75km for me this morning...

Do McDonalds let you use the drive through on a bike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

75km on Saturday, 81km today. So many close passes that I just gave up counting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement