Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

46k around NCD, 26km/h average.
    i was wondering why strava was only reporting segments from the second half - for most of the first half, i appear to have been cycling around 20m east of the road, from the map display. since i obviously went cross country, i'm very pleased with my times.

https://www.strava.com/activities/691769570

That was one of the early symptoms of my iPhone gps dying. Then it lost track in shady places.

You can download the gpx file from Strava and reupload it and it might lock to the road better

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Er.. a 5 Km post maintenance check

Had a minor mishap at the week end, bent hanger (I hoped - as gears were going mad)

Smug that I had a spare, changed it this evening. I took out the old one- fair old twist in it all right..and it had a different number to the spare I had...much swearing but it looked identical so put it in.

According to the Canyon (naturally!) website my spare (18) is the correct one and the other (23) is for a completely different bike.

Upshot anyway gave a good test and everything seems to be fine- so had I the wrong one and the right one now or vice versa :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

P_1 wrote: »
    108km this morning. Park - Maynooth - Dunshaughlan - Ashbourne - Garristown - Naul - Balrothery - Skerries - Rush and a pothole and a rescue call at Blakes Cross.

Managed to steal someone's KOM though :p

https://www.strava.com/activities/693491337

Looks like the former KOM holder, who might share their name with the segment, is unhappy and flagged your ride

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looks like glitchy GPS data to me - the average speed is higher than the max speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Nice 44k cycle this evening Finglas - Ashbourne - Rathoath - Fairyhouse - Clonee and popped into the brothers in Clonee for a natter and then home. Trying to get some practice in for the Dublin Bike Ride 100k :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

lovely commute to work this morning the PP was gorgeous. looking forward to the spin home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Bloggsie wrote: »
    lovely commute to work this morning the PP was gorgeous. looking forward to the spin home.

Yes. Lovely along Strand Road/Beach Road in Sandymount too. Really fantastic cycling weather.

Plenty of people cycling as well. 185,000 on the Rock Road counter for this year so far. May break 300K for the entire year.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Done 49 K on Sunday, this is the greatest distance I have covered on a bike to date. What surprised me was my average speed..... I usually average 24-26 kph over shorter distances 30-40 K)but managed 27 kph average on this run. Fair enough the conditions were perfect, almost no wind, sunny etc. Was very happy with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

This must be the happiest thread on Boards. There's always a lovely sense of enjoyment and pleasure and a quiet joy in the posts on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

rustynutz wrote: »
    Done 49 K on Sunday, this is the greatest distance I have covered on a bike to date. What surprised me was my average speed..... I usually average 24-26 kph over shorter distances 30-40 K)but managed 27 kph average on this run. Fair enough the conditions were perfect, almost no wind, sunny etc. Was very happy with it
    i find fitness comes in fits (pun unintended) and starts for me like that. i was plugging away at 25-26km/h for a few weeks over maybe 35-40km distances, then went out and put in a 28km/h run over 48km.

nice 33km this evening around the back of the airport, 27km/h. i thought it was going to be much windier than it seemed to be on the bike when i did get out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Needed to be back home by 7 so took the gear with me to work and headed straight out at 5, ballsbridge to glencullen, round to the viewing point and home via walkinstown. Not as nice as earlier and the headwind up glencullen was fierce.

37k, 22.5kph, almost 500 vertical.

https://www.strava.com/activities/694563580

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

One of those very rare spins where the wind seemed favourable in both directions. Headed out to Howth from Drumcondra for the last evening sailing race of the year. Made it in just 30mins thanks to the SW wind. The sailing didn't go particularly well but the trip home took only 2mins longer and mainly seemed to be a side wind or better.

A bit over 30km return in 1:02' = 29.5kph, my fastest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Club league race last night which was the usual cat & mouse game while waiting on scratch group to pick us up which they did on lap 2/3 so 4 of those quickly got 30 secs which they held to the finish.
    In our group we realised that it was a play out for 5th and honours in Cat2 so it was cat & mouse all over again. I tried twice to get away early to no joy so on the last lap i jumped off the front halfway up a little dig with 3km left and held an advantage all the way to the line for a very pleasing 5th behind some quailty scratch guys.

A small reward but it felt good to get a result of sorts in that manner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

tough mudderfcuker of a cycle home yesterday, the head/cross wind did its best to push me back the way I came or out into the middle of the road, I was completley banjoed by the time I got home.
    29.6 kms in 77 mins 22.9 average.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Extended lunch time cycle following the usual Cruagh, Foxes, Kilternan route, but stopping of in Kilternan at my daughters new school to cycle back home to Ballyboden. She reckons she has it sussed and will be going solo tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Nice randonneuring session yesterday, out the coast to Brittas Bay, brunch in the Bay Café which was excellent, and back to Dublin through Redcross/Avoca/Rathdrum/Laragh/Roundwood/Enniskerry etc. Tired legs this morning!

I am faster than Martyn Irvine (today at least, for a minute). That is all.

https://www.strava.com/activities/697097998

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

retalivity wrote: »
    I am faster than Martyn Irvine (today at least, for a minute). That is all.

https://www.strava.com/activities/697097998
    Constructive suggestion - use the Strava privacy settings to hide your home location. Don't give these guys an easy route to where they know they'll find a decent bike. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056226324&page=208

Constructive suggestion - use the Strava privacy settings to hide your home location. Don't give these guys an easy route to where they know they'll find a decent bike. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056226324&page=208

Thanks. I actually already had it setup...at my old address. Never updated it when i moved, done now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Headed from house to Kilmuckridge, Ballygarrett, killenagh, courtown, Ballymoney, out on to old n11 into Gorey, courtown, ballygarret, killenagh, home.
    60 km Avg 25.3 kph. Lovely evening for a spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Waterford, Passage East, Dunmore East, Tramore, Fenor and back, 70km , 25.5kph. Nice evening, a bit of an end of summer feel to it.
    Killed a rat on the way back! Couldn't avoid him, he went under the back wheel. I did avoid a mouse though, or come to think of it, he managed to avoid me :)

out to the naul and back, 56km, 26.5km/h average. nice evening, seemed windier on the return leg.

though i did vary my route this evening so as not to draw a penis on the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

45km this evening, 26 average. Finally beginning to feel a bit better. Windy as fup

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

In between nights but managed to get out for 61km this afternoon. Was hoping to do more but left the couch a little later than planned. Home, Malahide, Ballyboughal, Oldtown, Airport, and home.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Aysedasi

Close call for me on my commute home earlier. Joining the N4 after Fonthill road/Liffey Valley direction a car overtook mid corner on the tight left hander leading onto to N4. Instead of staying wide and leaving room, the car continued to turn as the radius of the corner tightens. I tried to stay as far left as possible but we made contact. I felt my foot rubbing against the rear wheel as i leaned against the left hand side of the car. Heart very much in mouth (which is an understatement, i nearly sh!t myself) sort of waiting for a massive crunch or fall but managed to stay upright after a thump on the car. (Which i apologise for but it was done out of pure fear!).
    A drink is currently being taken to take the edge off. Live to fight another day...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Lovely start to the morning. 35km in and the sun was coming up. Looked stunning. 25km later and I was soaked heading home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Absolutely pisking rain in wexford since 6 am this morning, glad I got out yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

25 kms over to Bray and back to Greystones in terrible rain. Oddly nice to cycle in though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Wet. Very wet. All of it. Not a mudguard to be had.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement