Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I assumed the donal I knew of was a swords man, not a clontarf one?
    The Clontarf Donal was a bit older and a lot faster! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Missed this, for only the second time, as I had to work Friday night. Well done to all who participated. Great day for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I without with long sleeves and shorts today. Regretted it, there's a bite in that wind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I without with long sleeves and shorts today. Regretted it, there's a bite in that wind

Me too - went out in a long top and shorts, seemed lovely all the way up the Military Road, until the top of Sally Gap - loads of wind.
    Then I got a puncture, and the sideways drizzle started...
    Got the punc fixed, started back into the crosswind full of drizzle, my top wasn't waterproof, so one side of me was wet and stingy-cold, in a temp of 7 degrees.
    Descended slowly, back to 13 degrees and sunshine by the Yellow House - felt like summer :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

First club spin in about 8 weeks. With only one spin in that time. 100km @29kmph. I hit the wall at 15km and wanted to turn back :) but they wouldn’t let me :D

Man did I suffer for the rest off the spin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Had grand ambitions to do Sally Gap, Wicklow Gap and Military road, but changed my mind as I left an hour later than planned , getting across Dublin city was as ponderous as ever, and my gears were not shifting properly after 10 km. A quick tinkering with the RD and I kept going.

Santry > Enniskerry > Old Long > Hill > Sally Gap > Blessington > Ballinascroney Road > Gunney Hill and home. It was the wind as I went up the Sally Gap which made my decision to turn home after Blessington as I had checked the forecast, and knew it would be in my face going over the military road. Couldn't see the Kippure Mast either so I wasn't getting lost in the fog.

Stopped for some pancakes in the Moody Rooster when I saw a few of the Resevoirs Cogs turn off the main road. I got lucky with the rain as it looked like it had rained a lot on the N81 outside blessington. I had arm warmers, a gilet and leg warmers and top covers though and was glad of them.

115km at 24.4 kmph with 1500 meters of going up

https://www.strava.com/activities/1875354298

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

First proper spin since the incident involving the Peoples Elbow and the N5. Did the cycle for diabetes in Galway today, a pretty appropriate one for the comeback event.

49k from Galway to Spiddal to Moycullen and back into Galway. Moycullen Bog is beautiful.

Very well run event, only minor quibble was having the end run go through Salthill, yikes the traffic there makes College Green look pleasant!

49km in just over 2 hours, happy with that considering I was taking it handy enough lest I damage the elbow.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1875077055

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

I assumed the donal I knew of was a swords man, not a clontarf one?

Met Donal 2 , definitely from Clontarf cc, was with Donal 1 Swords McNally earlier in the spin. One as nice as the other:)

The Clontarf Donal was a bit older and a lot faster! ;)

Donal 2 probably a bit wiser and didn't do as much work as you early days :)

A bit of Meath??

.........Kilbride, Ratoath, Batterstown, Drumree, Dunsany, Skryne, Rathfeigh, Curragha, Ashbourne etc.......most of it was in Meath! ;)

Impressive riding from you today secman. You switched on the afterburners following the banana stop and I was promptly shown the back door.

You won't be surprised that I did badly in Geography in LC,
    I was surprised with that Donal, was wondering what the matter was with you after the banana break as you were riding very strong up to that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Got my back tyre replaced last week, picked the bike up Saturday, cycled to and from work yesterday, on the way in this morning, cycle over a bump in the road and it goes flat :( luckily I was only 200 metres from the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Mc Love wrote: »
    Got my back tyre replaced last week, picked the bike up Saturday, cycled to and from work yesterday, on the way in this morning, cycle over a bump in the road and it goes flat :( luckily I was only 200 metres from the office.

What tyres are they? Sometimes you just get unlucky though, I remember putting on a GP4000 and a day later having a large nail puncture the bloody thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Cycling etiquette/rules on a cycle path? , couldn’t have timed it better mother and child walking on a cycle path (path split between cyclists and pedestrians, orange tarmac the works) coming against me , eye contact but they weren’t going to move so cycled around them, back on the cycle path look up only to see a cyclist coming towards me with no intention of making way, there is a cycle path on both sides of the road and I was going in the direction of the traffic. Is it everyone for themselves?, I’d always make space for a cyclist if I was on a path going against the direction of traffic, I’d assume they have the primary right of way?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

What tyres are they? Sometimes you just get unlucky though, I remember putting on a GP4000 and a day later having a large nail puncture the bloody thing.

I'm pretty sure a bog standard tyre. Is it worth getting the puncture resistant tyres on the bike I'm getting for the cycle to work scheme?
    silverharp wrote: »
    Cycling etiquette/rules on a cycle path? , couldn’t have timed it better mother and child walking on a cycle path (path split between cyclists and pedestrians, orange tarmac the works) coming against me , eye contact but they weren’t going to move so cycled around them, back on the cycle path look up only to see a cyclist coming towards me with no intention of making way, there is a cycle path on both sides of the road and I was going in the direction of the traffic. Is it everyone for themselves?, I’d always make space for a cyclist if I was on a path going against the direction of traffic, I’d assume they have the primary right of way?

Common sense would be to be on the cycle path going in the direction of traffic unless its a cycle lane with lanes going in both directions

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

silverharp wrote: »

Same here... IMO if you are going in the direction of traffic you have right of way.

Shared "paths" are annoying... I use a stretch in the evenings and now that it is dark again the walkers are out. Walking 2,3,4 wide taking up both lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

mloc123 wrote: »
    Same here... IMO if you are going in the direction of traffic you have right of way.

Shared "paths" are annoying... I use a stretch in the evenings and now that it is dark again the walkers are out. Walking 2,3,4 wide taking up both lanes.

Had this last night on my cycle home. 3 aul ones taking part in one of thos slogger to jogger things walking towards me apparently didn't see my flashing light and then took the hump when they had to move over. The only moved after I'd come to a complete stop and said excuse me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Mc Love wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure a bog standard tyre. Is it worth getting the puncture resistant tyres on the bike I'm getting for the cycle to work scheme?

Ah it depends on your use, but for me I would want some protection on any tyre I use as I have no patience for stopping mid cycle to fix them! I always like GP4000's, they are expensive and not necessarily the most puncture resistant but they are a good balance between performance and durability. Schwable ultra-marathon plus tyres are the ones to get if you never want to have to think about punctures again, but they are a heavy tyre, and not as nice to ride on. Honestly there's tonnes of options (and plenty of threads about them on here!).

30km along the royal canal last night, from Leixlip to Kilcock and back. The updated greenway is quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭circler

I'm giving Panaracer Gravel Kings a go. I stuck on 28s (tight squeeze to get it on the rim) and they've been brilliant. Rolls well on tarmac, and zero punctures in about 3000km. Unfortunately if I do get a puncture I've no idea how I'm going to get them off in one piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Lap of the Blessington lakes from Valleymount side yesterday evening, nice (rare) tailwind going that direction, so managed 31kmph average for the 25km loop.
    Best I've done over the infamous lakeshore drive!

• Advertisement

45km of north Kildare and Meath this afternoon. Pleasant weather... dry, not too cold and no much wind

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

86km this morning around NCD. Presumably it was the wet/damp roads but it was astonishing how much fuel spillage I came across.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Only noticed today when I uploaded my commute to work, that I passed my goal of 5000km for the year on Monday!! :) Did a spin out to Howth and did my second best time up the village side. Maybe the last spin of the year on the good bike, who knows...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1877288127

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

first time out in three weeks today, so first time out in long sleeves and leggings in months. quite blowy out; hooked up with a small group of cyclists for about 10km, and had a random beep and brandishing of the finger from a motorist coming the opposite direction. he must have been having a bad morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

On holidays in Portugal for the past week. Cycled daily.
    Totals of 400Km and 5,000M climbing.

Feeling suitably tired for a 110Kg guy. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,337 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

The Sunday club spins had gotten a bit stale recently, constantly repeating the same 3-4 flat 80km routes which were fine but just a bit bland. So last week a few of us chatted about doing something just a little bit different and I volunteered to plot a route. We went Longwood, Ballivor, Athboy, Crosskeil and then for pure devilment I took us up the really steep side of Loughcrew past the cairn and back down to Loughcrew House and gardens for coffee. The 15-20% the gamin was throwing out briefly transformed a couple of lads from cyclists to hill walkers and caused one strong climber to actually snap the 25 sprocket on his cassette when he got out of the saddle to power up.
    After coffee we turned into a dirty headwind for a solid 35km on very rolling road all the way down through Castlepollard and Crookedwood to Mullingar which then turned to a nasty crosswind with little respite back through Kinnegad and home. It was like climbing all the way even when trying to shelter in the bunch.

Nearly 130km with 800m climbing @29kmh. Legs shredded everywhere. My popularity has soared amongst the other members with compliments flying on the WhatsApp group, all of them looking forward to avoiding the next route I plan :D:D:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have heard a claim that the top of loughcrew is where you can see more other counties from than any other place in ireland. supposedly if you get a freakishly clear day, you can see the wicklow mountains, mournes, twelve bens and benbulben.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Headwind into work this afternoon was torture and gave me probably my slowest time ever. I went to check on strava but got side-tracked after I saw that I've done 316Km this week - a new record for me !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

I cycled 83k yesterday the waterford greenway from wit to dungarvan and back.
    Today I cycled 86k carlow to shillelagh, tinahealy, hacketstoen and back to carlow.

My legs are fecked now

• Advertisement

90km for me today, Kildare to Dundalk.. nice tailwind

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement