Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

First time out in 10 days after cold/light chest infection.
    Beautiful day in Clare.
    Was raining earlier but just did 2 hours without a drop in bright sunshine. Fresh breeze alright which made it interesting in some directions.
    Had the tights ready to go but said I'd chance leaving them at home. Glad I did, would definitely have been excessive to wear them today. Still short fingered gloves as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Out for 35km and punctured 7km from home. First in about 5000km.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

I headed out yesterday on a beautiful day, went Carlow-Portlaise-Abbeyleix-Carlow on my own, averaged 27kph happy enough with that.

It was great to be out in shorts in October

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

It was drizzling when I rode home from work this morning at 4am, but warm enough still for shorts and short sleeves.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A few minutes of drizzle if anything.

Pretty nasty low clouds around East Wicklow but in bands. I could see lovely nice sunshine from Windgates but was in the thick of a squall myself.

Short spin but its miles on the clock. Drivetrain issue needs diagnosing if it turns out to be something other than a lack of lubrication.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i went out earlier in a light long sleeve aldi top, definitely not waterproof. i've a fierce case of chafed nipples now. bloody hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

mloc123 wrote: »

I got my first puncture of the year yesterday in blessington and today on a different bike got a puncture in Riverchapel and had a co2 cartridge issue, one was already spent and I fcked up the 2nd one. Sent a few messages to a couple of guys on Strava who live in Riverchapel area and eventually one of them, Emmet from Gorey cc called around to me with a footpump, then another guy who happened to see my message on Strava also arrived in his car, didn't catch his name but fair play and thanks to both guys.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Back out for first time since stranding myself up sally gap...only fixed puncture last night. Easy and wet 60k to Blessington and back...was cleaning bike this evening and noticed back wheel was soft again...no sign of anything stuck in the tyre or rim and I pumped the tube back up to try find the 'puncture' but 5 hours later if still hasn't deflated and nothing when I put it in water.
    Also pretty sure it was not flat when I actually got in the door. :confused:

Despite the rain, nice spin today...time to renew the zwift membership and set the turbo up for midweek work though. :(
    Miklos wrote: »
    Pshaw! Tell that to my sodden shoes.

Dug out the overshoes this morning...always think they look great with shorts. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Really had to force myself out today, might have been the effect of 2 nights in work, managed 62km, but the first 20km or so was a mental struggle. Would have been so much easier to sit on the couch and watch TV for the afternoon, but glad I went out cos it was a cracking day. Plus, a great way to blow out the cobwebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

75 km yesterday, took a hard spill 17 km in. Ok at the time but sore today .

• Advertisement

shaka wrote:
    75 km yesterday, took a hard spill 17 km in. Ok at the time but sore today .

Leaves?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Finally got back to commuting to work... snapped my derailleur hanger going up the hill in Enniskerry. Very grateful for the council worker who put the bike on his truck and drove me the rest of the way to work. OH panicked when my See.Sense lights text her to say I had crashed, glad to see that the feature worked well though. Now to figure out the maze that is the correct size hanger.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it snapped due to a crash, or just gave way?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,287 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The wind this morning went right through me, allegedly it was 10C but it took me from the Stand road to Rathmines before I got my “ready brek” style heat glow. Give me cold and no wind any day.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

it snapped due to a crash, or just gave way?

It just gave way, sheered right off. I was going up the climb, wasn’t cross chaining or anything. Towards the top I thought the chain had slipped or something, looked down and saw the derailleur had dropped down as I fell slowly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Regular lunch time mooch around Masseys, good to see the tree blocking the upper path has been cleared though still finding that path tough on the lungs. Lovely time of year to be out there.

464419.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I was out for a walk during lunch. The wind seems to be picking up a bit out there. It was a bit gusty on the cycle in this morning. Could be an interesting cycle home. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Wind had definitely picked up for my 5pm ride to work. Still warm enough for shorts and no gloves though..

shaping up for 2 weeks no rain during commute, Not bad for October.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

silverharp wrote: »
    shaping up for 2 weeks no rain during commute, Not bad for October.

Long may it last!

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    Long may it last!

indeed, without overly keeping track but I think I get the train on average less than one day every 2 weeks.

Second puncture in 5 days.. different bike, same cause... a large thorn in the tyre

mloc123 wrote:
    Second puncture in 5 days.. different bike, same cause... a large thorn in the tyre

Have seen a lot if hedge cutting in my area, that time of year but can lead to unintended consequences.

64K this evening. Enjoyed it. Felt good throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Have seen a lot if hedge cutting in my area...

Must be seasonal, based on the cutting or something - I got a thorn-puncture myself last Sunday, and fixed a customer's one last week - the only two I've seen this year...

Yeah, roads are covered in so much **** at the moment. Will have to keep an eye out from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Walked to the shed, knocked out an hour on the turbo and walked back....

No punctures, no headwind & no traffic....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

...Will have to keep an eye out from now on.

That's almost impossible to do - the "magic" size of glass/grit/thorn/other that causes punctures is only 2-3mm - bigger stuff is too big to become embedded and get pounded through to the tube during rotation, and the smaller stuff does get embedded but just sits in the rubber, unable to reach the tube (only totally worn-out tyres are thin enough for the smaller stuff to get through).

If you can spot debris this size as you ride, you've got amazing eyesight and/or you're riding too slow :D

Type 17 wrote: »
    That's almost impossible to do - the "magic" size of glass/grit/thorn/other that causes punctures is only 2-3mm - bigger stuff is too big to become embedded and get pounded through to the tube during rotation, and the smaller stuff does get embedded but just sits in the rubber, unable to reach the tube (only totally worn-out tyres are thin enough for the smaller stuff to get through).

If you can spot debris this size as you ride, you've got amazing eyesight and/or you're riding too slow :D

I had assumed that I must have rolled over a small thorny branch or similar.. seems unlikely that single thorns on the ground would puncture the tyre so perfectly, but maybe.

Both thorns so far have been ~1cm in length... a bit of work to remove them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

dahat wrote: »
    Walked to the shed, knocked out an hour on the turbo and walked back....

No punctures, no headwind & no traffic....

Just felt like 3 hours :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭dahat

secman wrote: »
    Just felt like 3 hours :)

Turbo training is an acquired taste alright.

Winter training camps in Costa del Shed are glorious, fans supplied to cool you down when the temps become to much!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement