Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

dahat wrote:
    Winter training camps in Costa del Shed are glorious, fans supplied to cool you down when the temps become to much!

Have you the fans set up to adjust their speed to match yours?

Do you use Zwift?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Have you the fans set up to adjust speed to match speed?

Do you use Zwift?

I use TrainerRoad and an uncomplicated fan set up, speed 1-3, cost me €30 in Argos.

As I'm set up outside its rarely mad warm this time of year so low speed is fine. I have have a high tolerance for turbo workouts, 2hrs is well within reach, others however can't last 25mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

mloc123 wrote: »

I had assumed that I must have rolled over a small thorny branch or similar.. seems unlikely that single thorns on the ground would puncture the tyre so perfectly, but maybe.

Both thorns so far have been ~1cm in length... a bit of work to remove them.

Thorns are the exception, but even then, with mechanised hedge cutting, thorny twigs can be reduced to fragments that would be hard to spot - my own thorn puncture happened somewhere on the Blackrock Road between Dalkey and Dublin City (tyre went down after I got home), so not exactly a hedge-cutting hotspot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I saw this today down in Wexford Street. I wonder how does this person get on in traffic and at traffic lights??? :D

464648.jpg

I saw this today down in Wexford Street. I wonder how does this person get on in traffic and at traffic lights???

Normally, they put one leg on the stand and hop along for 3 steps to gain momentum before jumping up and starting to pedal.

Or, they don't actually ride it but just carry it with them as an accessory along with their no-prescription glasses, check shirt and skin tight jeans. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Normally, they put one leg on the stand and hop along for 3 steps to gain momentum before jumping up and starting to pedal.

Or, they don't actually ride it but just carry it with them as an accessory along with their no-prescription glasses, check shirt and skin tight jeans. ;)

I was cycling a penny farthing before it was cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭positron

dahat wrote: »
    .. Costa del Shed are glorious...

lol

I am starting to like these mini holidays to Costa del Shed more and more - mainly because I can watch a movie / show end-to-end without having to deflect requests to switch to My Little Poney/Peppa Pig, or those not-so-subtle hints at unfinished DIY projects etc. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I saw this today down in Wexford Street. I wonder how does this person get on in traffic and at traffic lights??? :D

In traffic put one foot on the roof of the car next to you. Bonus points if its a Taxi

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The penny farthing is somehow related to Bunsen which is just up the road.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

My last two spins results in flat tyres so just out for an hour this morning to try and get home in one piece and happy days. Only 25k, was originally planning heading up to glencullen on the way home to make it 35k but I didn't want to push my luck...
    I say flay tyres rather than puncture as sunday's tube which I reinflated after removing it from my wheel is still out on the balcony fully inflated...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Short one up around Edmondstown road and Cruagh lane at lunch, nice to see the road is fully open again. Felt cold and blowy so ended up doing a couple of local laps rather than heading up to Foxes.

Are we in full winter now folks? Or will I get away with base layer jersey with LS Galibier thing for tomrw?

Or to phrase it better, is the cold skinning you yet?

dahat wrote: »
    Are we in full winter now folks? Or will I get away with base layer jersey with LS Galibier thing for tomrw?

Or to phrase it better, is the cold skinning you yet?

Depends on location and duration.

I'm in midwest and have officially moved in to winter clothing. Was out yesterday evening and felt I was dressed perfectly. Saw a guy in shorts and was thankful in wasn't me but didn't speak to him.

Depends on location and duration.

I'm in midwest and have officially moved in to winter clothing. Was out yesterday evening and felt I was dressed perfectly. Saw a guy in shorts and was thankful in wasn't me but didn't speak to him.

I'm in S. Tipp and wth a tasty north wind tomorrow. I'm reluctant to use the Mistral just yet but maybe that's just denial of the season.

Shorts have been a no no for a good while now, mad man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Headed out n81 and did the lake drive this morning, bitter cold wind, Garmin said avg 5°. But wind chill made it feel colder. Seemed to have a headwind out and back ! I know wind switched from westerly to Northerly mid morning . 70 km avg 25.5 kph. Full winter gear and glad of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... Saw a guy in shorts and was thankful in wasn't me but didn't speak to him.
    I saw a few lads out early this morning with no gloves and thought they were hardy men. Then this evening I met a lad in Howth with shorts and short sleeved jersey. WTF? - the wind today would cut you in two.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭andymann

Anyone suggest a 60-70k route from stillorgan to the dublin/wicklow mountains and back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Stillorgan-Kilternan-Enniskerry-Roundwood (via Old Long Hill, not the R755)-Sally Gap-Glencree-Enniskerry & home.

That's about 75, you can turn right before Roundwood & head to Luggala/Sally Gap to trim a few k off that.
    Plenty of climbing and Google Map a nice run, could take a sprint up Kippure if you felt the need!

Or don't turn for Glencree, stay on Military Road across the Featherbeds to Rockbrook and home.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

andymann wrote: »
    Anyone suggest a 60-70k route from stillorgan to the dublin/wicklow mountains and back?

Stillorgan > Enniskerry >> Old Long Hill >> Sally Gap >> Take a Right at the Crossroads >> Bypass Glencree and go up the Featherbeds >> Take a Right once you get to Viewing Point and head for Glencullen and descend back towards Stillorgan from there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Weepsie wrote: »
    Stillorgan > Enniskerry >> Old Long Hill >> Sally Gap >> Take a Right at the Crossroads >> Bypass Glencree and go up the Featherbeds >> Take a Right once you get to Viewing Point and head for Glencullen and descend back towards Stillorgan from there.

Same amount of climbing but for my money more enjoyable and a bit handier in reverse, e.g. Stillorgan, Kilternan, Glencullen, Viewing point, Featherbeds, Sallygap, Roundwood (almost), turn off to Old long hill, Enniskerry and home.

• Advertisement

3hr coffee spin solo for me today, started out A1 but around the wind got rather tasty which made parts of the spin tricky with deep section rims.

The wind looks to be be normal tomorrow so it will be last of the Summer bike & wheels if Mt Cranium predicted weather happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Leaves?

I wish I could blame them , main Street at a junction in a town. Been having a lot of punctures lately and was running higher than usual pressure -blaming that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Cold one this morning. Stuck to the main roads for this mornings club spin sheltered areas were still a bit slippy even at 12pm

Only did 65km with an extended coffee break as we all wished we stayed in bed.

The racing lads in the club wimped out and waited till after 10 to head out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

70km around NCD this morning; it was a slog, i have a head cold which i'm blaming for the fact that by 45km i was starting to struggle; on a section i'd not been on before, heading south on the R108 back towards snowtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

..... i was starting to struggle; on a section i'd not been on before, heading south on the R108 back towards snowtown.
    Sounds like Mulllaghteelin?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not sure of the name of it; somewhere near wyanstown.

4hr club spin today on what turned out to be a stunning day after a chilly start. As per time of year it was steady and gave lads plenty time for chat and banter on the road.

115km 28.8 avg and a good weekend complete for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Big grind up the Wicklow coast against the wind, gusts were playing havoc with the pack. Cold start but warmed right up.

Thought I'd be struggling after 2-3 weeks of weddings/christenings/birthdays and the like but had loads in the tank at the end (unusual for me) and we did sprints to markers repeatedly.

If I lost 40kg I could race...

90km at about 28kmph, spin of two halves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Grand spin today - but probably last cycle of the year in shorts, short sleeves and no gloves...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1932546411

• Advertisement

pjmn wrote: »
    Grand spin today - but probably last cycle of the year in shorts, short sleeves and no gloves...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1932546411

Unless the weather in Galway was 6-8 degrees warmer than that in Clare yesterday I think you're a bit mad (or tough as nails) to have gone out in that attire. I was going to head out at 08:00am but waited until ten in case of slippery surfaces due to low temp.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement