Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Had registered for Strava Le Col challenge. 150km before end of Oct. Had enough distance already but decided to do it in one go. Headed out yesterday.
    Coffee break after 82K. Paused Garmin, had coffee, went to toilet, came back to bike. Garmin had powered off. Said that's the single spin gone anyway so I won't do the full 150 as was v cold at that point anyway.
    Finished at 120Km and when I downloaded it had only stored the final ride since the stop.
    So, today, the legs feel like they did 120km, the heart is saying it was less than 40. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Just the commute in to work for me but bloody hell I love a bank holiday Monday for effect it has on traffic.

Hands were like blocks of ice as I forgot my gloves and refused to turn back to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Unless the weather in Galway was 6-8 degrees warmer than that in Clare yesterday I think you're a bit mad (or tough as nails) to have gone out in that attire. I was going to head out at 08:00am but waited until ten in case of slippery surfaces due to low temp.

:D to be fair I didn't head off until around 2pm, so it was balmy at that stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,922 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

fücking cold tooling around the back roads of Wicklow this morning, but plenty of wildlife about - saw Red Kites, Buzzards and loads of pheasants which are presumably being released for the start of the shooting season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

I did 100k this morning, Carlow - athy- ballitore - baltinglass - carlow.

Apart from yet another buckled back wheel it was uneventful. Getting a buckle every 300k or so it's fairly annoying

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are the roads incredibly potholed?
    i haven't had a buckle in the last few years. i suspect something is wrong with your wheels.

are the roads incredibly potholed?
    i haven't had a buckle in the last few years. i suspect something is wrong with your wheels.

No they're not, the guy in the bike shop says they're crap wheels.
    They're mavic open elite rims, less than 5 months old, I've had 3 buckles and a broken spoke in that time.. Even for cheap wheels that's not right is it?

patrickc wrote:
    No they're not, the guy in the bike shop says they're crap wheels. They're mavic open elite rims, less than 5 months old, I've had 3 buckles and a broken spoke in that time.. Even for cheap wheels that's not right is it?

I'm a north of 100kg. I haven't had buckled wheels in years. And my wheels are v basic.
    If you're hitting potholes to that extent, surely you'd be picking up pinch flats as well...

Have you tried ensuring all spokes are correctly tightened? And checking after 50, 100k to see if it's drifting. A spoke tool is small money and fairly easy to use.

I've just been leaving it in to the place I bought it, maybe I will buy a spoke tool good idea. I haven't any any punctures touch wood!

patrickc wrote:
    I've just been leaving it in to the place I bought it, maybe I will buy a spoke tool good idea. I haven't any any punctures touch wood!

Ask the guys in the shop to show you how to check the wheel and use the tool.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

patrickc wrote: »
    Even for cheap wheels that's not right is it?
    correct, that's not right. i'd consider choosing a different shop if he hasn't at this point replaced them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

correct, that's not right. i'd consider choosing a different shop if he hasn't at this point replaced them.

Nothing of note, except cold and builder's gloves are not useful gloves, also front brake cable came out / broke. Will see. More traffic than I thought given the schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

First real cold of the Autumn/Winter this morning. I managed to dress up well enough, winter gloves, shoe covers, shorts and Gabba2. Jaysis the first 10 minutes were freezing, but after that it was quite nice. It was a beautiful morning really, clear sky and little wind. Here I am charging all my lights for my first dark commute home this evening. Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

First real cold of the Autumn/Winter this morning. I managed to dress up well enough, winter gloves, shoe covers, shorts and Gabba2. Jaysis the first 10 minutes were freezing, but after that it was quite nice. It was a beautiful morning really, clear sky and little wind. Here I am charging all my lights for my first dark commute home this evening. Fingers crossed.

My desk is a sea of cables with lights, garmin and phone getting charged up. :D

My desk is a sea of cables with lights, garmin and phone getting charged up. :D

Pascal might keep this in mind when looking at BIK next autumn ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Beautiful conditions yesterday for our club spin to Oldbridge. Opted for the full Galibier winter kit (Mistral leggings and jacket over a base layer plus winter gloves). Perfect for the outward legs when the Garmin was showing 1-3 degrees but a bit on the warm side later when the temperature crept up to 8 degrees.

Beautiful conditions yesterday for our club spin to Oldbridge. Opted for the full Galibier winter kit (Mistral leggings and jacket over a base layer plus winter gloves). Perfect for the outward legs when the Garmin was showing 1-3 degrees but a bit on the warm side later when the temperature crept up to 8 degrees.

Yesterday showed just how schizo the weather could be here. It was freezing on my commute in the morning and then i was too warm on the cycle home in the evening.

It's hard get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Yesterday showed just how schizo the weather could be here. It was freezing on my commute in the morning and then i was too warm on the cycle home in the evening.

It's hard get it right.

yep, it's also hard for me to remember how I layered last winter at different temperature ranges so will probably take a few days of unpleasant overheating / coldness while I figure it out again!

It's hard get it right.
    that's one of the beauties of arm warmers.
    though it wasn't too cold this morning, 6C when i was leaving the house.

yep, it's also hard for me to remember how I layered last winter at different temperature ranges so will probably take a few days of unpleasant overheating / coldness while I figure it out again!

True enough, i'm beginning to see that the rare bit of coldness is not the problem. It's when i'm out on the bike with mild weather wrapped up like the feckin' Michelin Man, that's when the issue arises. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

50km mostly along the royal canal, felt good... but pitch dark for 5.30 now :o

First time up the hills in wicklow in years. Jaysus, that put manners on me. 71km with 1100m climbing.

actually, nearly 1200m.
    that climb out of bohernabreena - col du tourmalet on strava - is fun. but it did drain the tank a little on me, i did it a little less than one third of the way through.
    and the cold wind coming down off the sally gap certainly had bite.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1939872764#48904372705

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

actually, nearly 1200m.
    that climb out of bohernabreena - col du tourmalet on strava - is fun. but it did drain the tank a little on me, i did it a little less than one third of the way through.
    and the cold wind coming down off the sally gap certainly had bite.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1939872764#48904372705

Strava?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...that climb out of bohernabreena - col du tourmalet on strava -
    That's the climb out of Glenasmole, not Bohernabreena. It's known as 'Cunard'.

Bohernabreena is further north where the St Anne's Church and cemetery are. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Had the kids this morning due to half term so missed my usual Thursday morning spin, so made up a little by heading to work an hour earlier and doing a loop of the airport on the way in.
    35km instead of the usual 19.5 and was flying at the end for some reason.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1939919638

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

A night spin up embankment and down lisheen to Manor Kilbride and a loop around small lake back to Lisheen and home. 45 km . Avg 25.6 kph. New Leyzene 1100 Light worked a treat in the pitch dark, had it on reduced power of 650 lumen , 2 hours and switch still on green ! Baltic though , at one stage Garmin was saying -3 °....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Passed my first SDCC gritter last night.....
    Complete spin in minus degrees...
    Garmin battery died due to minus degrees...
    Only passed two other hardy souls in two hours (mind you they stayed on the main drags LIGHTWEIGHTS :))
    I think winter has finally arrived....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Passed my first SDCC gritter last night.....
    Complete spin in minus degrees...
    Garmin battery died due to minus degrees...
    Only passed two other hardy souls in two hours (mind you they stayed on the main drags LIGHTWEIGHTS :))
    I think winter has finally arrived....

We turned left at Lisheen after we saw you at
    Brittas.... did loop Manor Kilbride to Manor Kilbride around small lake, we made sure our Garmins were fully charged though... Some amateurs didn't :) was Baltic though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

secman wrote: »
    We turned left at Lisheen after we saw you at
    Brittas.... did loop Manor Kilbride to Manor Kilbride around small lake, we made sure our Garmins were fully charged though... Some amateurs didn't :) was Baltic though

:D:D I was going that fast my Garmin froze....and somehow went back to normal power I usually ride in battery save mode:P
    Sure was Baltic I may have to ditch the shorts next week! might give youse a shout be good to have company.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement