Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Another ****ing puncture today... 3 in 2 weeks. i might resort to putting gatorskins on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

pleasant morning out there. decided to try out my new btwin shoes though, and suffered on the way home on the downhill sections; they're vented at the toes top and bottom, so my toes got a little freeze dried.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

pleasant morning out there. decided to try out my new btwin shoes though, and suffered on the way home on the downhill sections; they're vented at the toes top and bottom, so my toes got a little freeze dried.
    For vents on the sole, I usually cover with heavy duty duct tape on the inside. Not sure if it would work for the toe area, as, at least on the soles, the insole protects the tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

130Km around Mid Clare yesterday. Puncture after 20Km (thorn from hedge cutting as others have recently experienced).

Washed the bike this morning. Deep clean. It's going to look class for the first 3 km the next time I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

mloc123 wrote: »
    Another ****ing puncture today... 3 in 2 weeks. i might resort to putting gatorskins on

Ive had about 6 in the past month. All since switching tyres. Have new gatorskins ordered now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

mloc123 wrote: »

Sounds like you need a new bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Unusual one for me today ,in Dublin today, hooked up with a few guys i met over the summer and headed out towards Stepaside and out to Enniskerry, lost count of the number of Orwell Groups we encountered today, out in large numbers and multiple groups, fair play. Stopped in Enniskerry for a coffee, (i skipped coffee) as its the done thing out that way, only had 38 km on clock, didn't seem right ! Headed up the hill for featherbeds and on to viewing point. at that point we split, I ended up with the resident goat, half my age - literally and headed back up towards Johnny Foxes, split with him when i headed for Marley & he headed for Blackrock direction. 74 km , just shy of 1000 metres climbing and AVG of 24.4 kph.. aching legs now, I'd say the goat has no ill effects at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Sounds like you need a new bike.

I haven't bought one in 6 months, so maybe :pac:

Managed just short of 90km yesterday puncture free.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,922 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Went over the handlebars today for the first time since childhood, ironically whilst out cycling with one of my kids. He hit the brakes, I was behind him, hit the brakes and over I went.

Few cuts to my hands and my basket is no more, but the main injury was to my pride from having various onlookers asking if I was ok :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

95k today, carlow-graiguenamanagh-thomastown-paulstown-carlow

great day for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

not been out much lately but took the cycleway from sutton into clontarf and back out. bloody wind was a pain. head on into to the bus garage then turns into a bit of tailwind then headwind on the way back before turning into a very nice tailwind. i dont like alot of breeze. hard enough trying to push 95kg without mother natures interference

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

neris wrote: »
    not been out much lately but took the cycleway from sutton into clontarf and back out. bloody wind was a pain. head on into to the bus garage then turns into a bit of tailwind then headwind on the way back before turning into a very nice tailwind. i dont like alot of breeze. hard enough trying to push 95kg without mother natures interference

i did the same this morning, wind was unpredictable. seemed to be coming from all directions !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, that was a great cycle home. mainly because i managed to get home between the showers; i was expecting to arrive home like a drowned rat but didn't.
    plus, i had a great tailwind for a lot of the way, took a few seconds off my PR on strand road.

bad smash on the rock road at booterstown though, between a car and a motorbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

well, that was a great cycle home. mainly because i managed to get home between the showers; i was expecting to arrive home like a drowned rat but didn't.
    plus, i had a great tailwind for a lot of the way, took a few seconds off my PR on strand road.

bad smash on the rock road at booterstown though, between a car and a motorbike.

I am procrastinating about headin out in it atm. Hate teh sound of rain when i am about to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I had a headwind all the way to work this evening, and got soaked as well. Still way better than sitting in the car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Got fairly soaked, I'm a little masochistic in that I actually enjoy cycling in the rain. Means i dont overheat. Different for me I suppose in that I'm unfit & 100kg, so overheating is a problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I got flippin' soaked this morning. My runners were absolutely swimming!

A distinct lack of cyclists out too. I sailed all the way in from Tallaght into the city centre quite comfortably. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Saw a good few on my route, and cars drove far slower and gave more space today when dodging questionably large puddles. #Raineverydayplease

17k and arrived dry bar wet feet and hands (took the wrong gloves! rookie mistake)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Quite a lot of fellow swimmers cycling commuters on the way through the City Centre. I'd say half as normal. Hats off, folks :)

Probably the wettest weekday morning in a few years. Puddly fun, once you don't care you're soaked through!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Took the bus as I'm doing something after work. Wish I'd cycled, left the bike here and bussed tomorrow when I'm in early. Traffic was nuts. 1 hour from Ballymun to City Centre is why we need people to stop jumping into cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Alek wrote: »
    Quite a lot of fellow swimmers cycling commuters on the way through the City Centre. I'd say half as normal. Hats off, folks :)

Probably the wettest weekday morning in a few years. Puddly fun, once you don't care you're soaked through!

I got a new bike yesterday so the rain this morning was my fault. I needed to cycle in, I really need to get my arse in gear and fix the beater for winter. Sections of the canal were flooded between Crumlin and Leeson St.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I finally washed my bike on Sunday, I guess we are both to blame.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Bit wet today but the Aldi wet gear I bought a few weeks ago held up really well - the trousers especially. I'm delighted I invested in a pair of overshoes last year. Cyclist numbers were definitely down this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Sections of the canal were flooded

I though that was how it's meant to be...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I don't mind mornings like this on the bike - I'd only be traffic if I'd gone in the car. Had mentally bailed on Friday given the winds forecast, but having second thoughts looking at the jams.

Only issue I've found the last few damp mornings is the closed cycle lane between Mount Merrion and Booterstown Ave - I'm very wary of the kerbs on and off, and actually saw someone nearly go down yesterday morning. Actually the other issue has been the lack of space in the work drying room this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Only issue I've found the last few damp mornings is the closed cycle lane between Mount Merrion and Booterstown Ave - I'm very wary of the kerbs on and off, and actually saw someone nearly go down yesterday morning.

Yea that's not ideal. I am not a fan of getting back onto the kerb in the wet so I just boot it down the bus lane & join the cycle path again at the traffic lights across from the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yea that's not ideal. I am not a fan of getting back onto the kerb in the wet so I just boot it down the bus lane & join the cycle path again at the traffic lights across from the school.
    I did that this morning, but generally I'd miss being able to sail past the red light. I'm also a bit more wary of taking the bus lanes on mornings like this morning due to car drivers chancing their arm - they're worse than the other legal users of the bus lane, and motorbikes/ scooters, in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I though that was how it's meant to be...

:rolleyes:

You're all funny ****ers around here lately :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Got drowned yesterday evening on the way home. Left the office and it wasn't too bad, I almost thought it'd stop. Then the heavens opened as I came through Contarf. It's been a long time since I've cycled in that kind of rain, we've been spoiled with relative dry for so long. And sure I just about had my gear dry before heading in this morning in more lashings of rain!

Met cdaly_ on the way in, although he was in his car and it took me way too long to figure who it was. It's not often I have someone roll down their window and compliment me on my pace on my commute in! :pac::pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Left yesterday at just after 6, rain had taken a break and got home just as it was starting again. Managed to do reasonably well on the way in this morning as well, though didn't get in entirely dry.

There was alot of standing water, more than normal on a wet day. I guess all teh leaves are probably clogging up the drains. I don't mind getting wet on the commute, it is short enough that i don't start getting very cold. Not at all the same as getting wet when on a longer weekend spin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement