Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Aysedasi wrote: »
    Heart very much in mouth (which is an understatement, i nearly sh!t myself) sort of waiting for a massive crunch or fall but managed to stay upright after a thump on the car. (Which i apologise for but it was done out of pure fear!).

Absolutely no need to apologise IMHO. Don't know if you managed to get the registration number but, following a few recent incidents, I make a point of reporting details to the Gardaí (and the employer if it's a commercial vehicle or bus). They won't take a prosecution but normally contact the driver and tick them off. Hopefully it acts as a reminder for the driver to take more care in future. I used to think wearing a helmet-cam was a bit OTT but they would certainly help in substantiating a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

300km around the hills of Kilkenny, Tipperary and a bit of Mount Leinster for good measure. Lovely route, lots of climbing, plenty of rain for the first part and sunshine and wind for the second. Who says audax is boring!

Nutcracker 300

20km of just pottering around Berlin. What a great city both by itself and in that it's a pleasure to cycle in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Hadn't gotten my cycle in this weekend as I've tonnes of stuff to do but got the wrong parts in Maplin Jervis street so an excuse to get on the bike was found.

My god! Never try to go through Drumcondra on all Ireland final day! Tried to be a law obiding citizen and stick to the cycle lanes which were covered in culchies up in the big smoke presumably for the first time. Spent the whole time shouting excuse me pardon me please excuse me please get off the bike lane.

Kudos though to the Galway driver who was agrivating me by hugging the kerb of the bus lane down past the regency the whole. When I got a chance to draw up past him at light the passenger had he window so I very calmly asked them to move over a few inches of they wouldn't mind to let bikes pass as its a shared bus lane and to my surprise they were very nice and did just that and stayed out when I looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭G1032

Hadn't gotten my cycle in this weekend as I've tonnes of stuff to do but got the wrong parts in Maplin Jervis street so an excuse to get on the bike was found.

My god! Never try to go through Drumcondra on all Ireland final day! Tried to be a law obiding citizen and stick to the cycle lanes which were covered in culchies up in the big smoke presumably for the first time. Spent the whole time shouting excuse me pardon me please excuse me please get off the bike lane.

Kudos though to the Galway driver who was agrivating me by hugging the kerb of the bus lane down past the regency the whole. When I got a chance to draw up past him at light the passenger had he window so I very calmly asked them to move over a few inches of they wouldn't mind to let bikes pass as its a shared bus lane and to my surprise they were very nice and did just that and stayed out when I looked back.

Wow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

G1032 wrote: »
    Wow

I've nothing against country people in fact I work outside Dublin and most of my family are from Outside Dublin but you'd swear this crown had never seen a traffic light, pedestrian crossing or foot path in their lives. I'm amazed no one was hit by a car. Was like a game of frogger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭G1032

I've nothing against country people in fact I work outside Dublin and most of my family are from Outside Dublin but you'd swear this crown had never seen a traffic light, pedestrian crossing or foot path in their lives. I'm amazed no one was hit by a car. Was like a game of frogger.

Will it be any different on the 18th for the football final? I doubt it very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

G1032 wrote: »
    Will it be any different on the 18th for the football final? I doubt it very much.

Mayo crowd will be all over bike paths and Dubs will be perfectly law abiding :rolleyes:

You never see that carry on around the Aviva...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

ford2600 wrote: »
    Mayo crowd will be all over bike paths and Dubs will be perfectly law abiding :rolleyes:

You never see that carry on around the Aviva...

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Up to killenagh, ballycanew, Gorey, old n11 to inch , Arklow, around the rock of Arklow to Castletown, on around base of Tara hill to Ballymoney, courtown and back the coast road to Ballygarrett, killenagh and home.
    63km Avg 26.1 kph .
    That was the easy bit, herself and I then gave a 70 meter long hedge a good topping and side cut, the arms are hanging off me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

No nestlings at this time? We still have nests of sparrows.

First spin in about 10 days today. I normally work with the homeless on a Sunday night (old winter clothes gratefully accepted btw) but I did Friday instead this week. So took a spin to Howth and back, 45k at 28kph. Stopped at the rolling donut on the way back and got to see two of Dublin's finest drug abusers have a fight in front of all the tourists. Entertaining stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

62km from Shankill to Howth return.

Had an "OH SH!T" moment turning right across Merrion Gates, when a taxi driver decided he wanted ahead of me, on the inside of my turn, exactly where the road goes very narrow. I stayed upright and yelled. He gave me a look of contempt and drove off.

The cycle lanes on the north side of the bay are enjoyable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I could tell you but shure...

https://www.relive.cc/view/700348626

Technology will be the death of me.

The early high HR was due to way too many Lidl Argus 7.0% beers last night :/

I did like finding the "woof" pic though! Very apt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

That yellow line makes it look like you cycled about 15,000km!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

davef1000 wrote: »
    That yellow line makes it look like you cycled about 15,000km!

I feckin feel like I did! My knees are currently in negotiations with a solicitor about divorcing me, the pr1cks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I know the feeling. I planned to have 1 or 2 beer last night. If I only stopped after the 3rd! Late start. DIdnt get what I wanted done but still got out and sweated out the beer. If stink of beer was unreal I've been told.

I feckin feel like I did! My knees are currently in negotiations with a solicitor about divorcing me, the pr1cks.

I find sitting in the couch with a cold beer between the knees helps. Of course, they'll start to get warm so drink and replace every 15minutes or so

First time taking on the Reservoir Dog and it's some beast. It really does combine some of the best climbs in North Wicklow/South Dublin. Conditions didn't look great driving out to Russborough but improved over the morning with the sun breaking through at some stage. A great food stop beyond Annamoe, plenty of marshals, good signage and road marking and burgers and local Mont beer at the finish. A few minutes over 5 hrs for the 123k and 2000m or so of climbing.
    Great to meet and cycle with Daroxtar of this parish and to chat with friends made on various sportives over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

84 kmwith 900 mtr climbing, in a bad way for rebel tour but will give it a go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I did like finding the "woof" pic though! Very apt!

Also did the dog yesterday (great course!), though a bit slower than yourself 6:19 moving, 6:23 all in. Skipped the food stop but did enjoy a beer at the end. Odd one looking at the Garmin data this morning as there appears to be a cliff between Dublin and Wicklow, with and without barometric corrections enabled. Any else seeing this or is it just a glitch on my unit. Ireland got a new GPS height model last week and I wondering if anyone told Garmin?

396189.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Easy spin yesterday Dun Laoghaire to Howth then back to Rathfarnham via Blackrock. Was more about just turning the pedals over a bit of distance than trying to set any decent times on segments. I haven't done more than 30k in a single spin for a while.

The bad news for anyone doing the GDBR is that Clontarf road from the bridge to St. Anne's Park is still in bits. Saw two or three fixing punctures along that stretch too, so I've no doubt it's more than coincidence.

The wind was something I hadn't really dealt with before. I'm not the most aerodynamic shape either so that doesn't help.

Strava stopped recording the ride somewhere around East Wall Road too, no idea why and didn't notice til we stopped in Howth (probably not going fast enough!), so I just logged the bit it did save and started again. My buddy's Garmin says 55km done. Seems about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Reservoir dog yday, 124.4km, 1940m vertical, 5h 11m.

I tried running the flyby with everyone but it crashed my computer twice!

https://www.strava.com/activities/700222112

Eponymous wrote: »
    Easy spin yesterday Dun Laoghaire to Howth then back to Rathfarnham via Blackrock.

Now that's not what I'd call an easy spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Chuchote wrote: »
    Now that's not what I'd call an easy spin.
    I live in Greystones, where any cycle that starts from home involves a climb out of the town to kick things off. So there was nothing tricky about it other than the winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Quick 33km spin to the 40 Foot abd back toclear the head after a hectic weekend @24kmph. Nice and warm out.

https://www.relive.cc/view/701279120

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

about 45k around NCD today - don't know for sure, because when i pulled my phone out near the nine mile roundabout, the poxy thing was performing a factory reset.
    it's jaysus warm out there. wasn't firing on all cylinders today; may have been the head cold, may have been the heat, or it may have been the bottle of wine last night.

P_1 wrote: »
    Quick 33km spin to the 40 Foot abd back toclear the head after a hectic weekend @24kmph. Nice and warm out.

https://www.relive.cc/view/701279120

Any jellyers in the Forty Foot, or did you get in?

What's NCD, Magic?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Any jellyers in the Forty Foot, or did you get in?

What's NCD, Magic?

North county Dublin

• Advertisement

What's NCD, Magic?

Magic alright and also the cultural home of Boards/Cycling ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement