Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Near the end of your spin, just at Kilsallaghan. I rounded the next corner and there was a woman texting/browsing while walking a little dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

70 with the club, 26 avg. Bloody freezing, climbing like a brick....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Tha Caslebellingham to Drogheda coastal route is great especially on a clear winter's day with a bit of a north-easterly...
    The last time I took that route southbound, after Anagassan I took the coast road via Saltertown, Dunany and Port instead of the main road via Togher. Sweet Jesus, welcome to vicious dog country. Every feckin' house had to be passed with apprehension. Never again.

The last time I took that route southbound, after Anagassan I took the coast road via Saltertown, Dunany and Port instead of the main road via Togher. Sweet Jesus, welcome to vicious dog country. Every feckin' house had to be passed with apprehension. Never again.

Maybe I was too deep in thought to notice them nipping at my heels :pac:

I didn't head over the salterstown roadf as I'd heard the road was in **** out that way a while ago? Stuck to the R166 and left at Togher Cross, and along the coast to Clogherhead etc.

Most of the property out that way is farms no? You'd imagine they'd know better than to leave dogs loose, but no I had no issue there. I have encountered one lad though if I'm coming back via sand pit who likes to chase me but not aggressively, I've had to U-Turn and lead him home a few times last year. Might as well be talking to the wall as to the owner. So the last time I was out that way I hopped off the bike and closed the gate as I approached it to lock him in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was chased by two dogs today - not too far from where i'd have passed RobertFoster, but rather ironically they were lying in wait outside a house called suaimhneas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

first time ever seeing cars clamped for parking on the cycle path grand canal route past portabello heading up towards the Luas, about 4 or 5 cars in line with drivers looking befuddled , have to say I let out a rather undignified chortle.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

silverharp wrote: »
    first time ever seeing cars clamped for parking on the cycle path grand canal route past portabello heading up towards the Luas, about 4 or 5 cars in line with drivers looking befuddled , have to say I let out a rather undignified chortle.

Good to see some enforcement. 5 cars here at this point (solid line) and a taxi further back. Though the clamp on the white car was taking a beating when I was going by.

471460.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

First time in the saddle since before Christmas. I was away in New Zealand for the last month, so haven't had the need! I picked some week to return, it was pretty damn cold out this morning, although maybe not as bad as I had imagined. My fitness has definitely taken a massive hit, I was much slower despite the wind being easy enough, and the conditions being pleasant. But all good, I was comfy and happy to be back at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

First time in the saddle since before Christmas. I was away in New Zealand for the last month, so haven't had the need! I picked some week to return, it was pretty damn cold out this morning, although maybe not as bad as I had imagined. My fitness has definitely taken a massive hit, I was much slower despite the wind being easy enough, and the conditions being pleasant. But all good, I was comfy and happy to be back at it.

the wind was a lot easier than it was yesterday anyway! I thought it was a beautiful morning to be out, thoroughly enjoyed that commute.

only to come in and find that the rim on my rear wheel has blown out where a spoke broke :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

the wind was a lot easier than it was yesterday anyway! I thought it was a beautiful morning to be out, thoroughly enjoyed that commute.

only to come in and find that the rim on my rear wheel has blown out where a spoke broke :(

Wind yesterday evening was ridiculous. I stopped twice to check if my back tyre had lost air as it was so tough cycling into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

A really enjoyable off road spin yesterday morning on a combination of wind farm gravel tracks, Coillte forest dirt tracks and a smattering of tarmac in the north Cork Boggeragh Mountains. And taking in such delights as the Eagles nest and the slopes of Musheramore.

An extremely cold 8 am start from a small car park near Ummera (South of Nad). A flurry of snow and 2°C as the five of us set off.
    A couple of navigational hiccups, a small bit of bike carrying and a good few gates and fences to scramble over all added to the fun.

I really love this kind of cycling, and it makes a pleasant change from our normal road spins. We have all invested in Cross/Gravel bikes over the last couple of years and it has brought a whole new dimension to our Sundays.

50km, a thousand meters of ascent in three and a half hours makes for a decent mornings training and plenty of laughs.

Zio-H0t-S6o-Ax-N9r-RLKIwatzn8-PL8-KBRv-Gh-VRNS-06u4k-2048x1536-1.jpg

96-Zj-GK-5x-1p-UI6-F91y-RIEGi-GAEGy-Hp-Ef-YIKU0-G7dcg-2048x1536-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Rode into work early today as I needed the work van to do a job. Lovely morning for it, bright, clear and no wind. Shame I had other stuff to be doing...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Clonee to Thomas st at 7am this morning. Mother of sweet jesus it was cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

First spin since getting bike fit today. Bike felt a lot smoother, and 'tighter' full gloves for the first ten mins. Leggings a must. Twas a bit nippy.... No pains in the knee after, yay:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I really love this kind of cycling, and it makes a pleasant change from our normal road spins. We have all invested in Cross/Gravel bikes over the last couple of years and it has brought a whole new dimension to our Sundays.

Oh no! After a few years of tranquility, I feel an N+1 or S-1 moment coming on.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

You know it makes sense :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Go for it, just back from a mucky, snowy lunch time spin. For me, having an off road or mixed option gives you loads of opportunities for a bit of extra craic, particularly in the crap weather.

471564.JPG

Fairly miserable out there this morning in the icy cold rain. Garmin was showing minus 2 degrees at times. I rarely suffer from cold feet but they were cold this morning. Even our road captain lost heart and curtailed the ride a bit. (We ended up having a lovely breakfast in the Court Yard Hotel in Leixlip).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Fairly miserable out there this morning in the icy cold rain. Garmin was showing minus 2 degrees at times. I rarely suffer from cold feet but they were cold this morning. Even our road captain lost heart and curtailed the ride a bit. (We ended up having a lovely breakfast in the Court Yard Hotel in Leixlip).

You must have been out early! My Garmin was showing 3 degrees at 830, but the freezing rain wasn't pretty. It wasn't too bad at the same time, I think the rain was mostly done when I was out, I wasn't too wet when I made it into the city.

You must have been out early! My Garmin was showing 3 degrees at 830...
    It was showing 2 degrees in Swords but dropped gradually as we headed inland via Co Meath to Kildare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭devonp

got blasted by the gritter in Palmerstown on the commute home, fairly decent wind chill out there too heading west :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

43km around NCD with a full face balaclava for the first time in ages. Bracing!!

Ripping home last night and a puncture. Luckily only 7/8 min drive from home. Got herself to pick me up. It was freezing and I wasn't changing a tube in the cold/dark. I had brought my rain jacket just in case. I was glad when I had to wait for a few mins that I had packed it, stopped me freezing up...The road out of Ballinasloe heading east is terrible, and seems to be getting worse...time to change routes

Georgeous sunny day yesterday. Got me a couple of Bontranger AW1's and put them on yesterday. Took a bit of persuasion, but eventually got them on, breaking a couple of tyre levers while doing so. Went with the fingerless gloves and just a long sleeved base layer with short sleeved jersey and leggings. It was perfect for the day that was in it. Any more layers would have been too much. 28.4km, avg 26.9 and 2 pr's. Bike fit made a big difference now when pumping uphill:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Georgeous sunny day yesterday. Got me a couple of Bontranger AW1's and put them on yesterday. Took a bit of persuasion, but eventually got them on, breaking a couple of tyre levers while doing so. Went with the fingerless gloves and just a long sleeved base layer with short sleeved jersey and leggings. It was perfect for the day that was in it. Any more layers would have been too much. 28.4km, avg 26.9 and 2 pr's. Bike fit made a big difference now when pumping uphill:-)

You're some man for one man. I'm wearing two long sleeve base layers under a long sleeve Gabba and good winter gloves these days.
    I have a set of these tyre levers, they're plastic coated steel. I've had them years, they're great, strong, hard wearing and don't damage rims.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/topeak-shuttle-tyre-levers-1-2/rp-prod28714

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Georgeous sunny day yesterday. Went with the fingerless gloves and just a long sleeved base layer with short sleeved jersey and leggings. It was perfect for the day that was in it. Any more layers would have been too much.

Not sure what part of the country you were in but around NCD it never got above 3 degrees in the afternoon and had dropped to zero by the time I got home. A few dangerous icy spots too, mainly on shaded corners around Kilbride.

Base layer, arm warmers, jersey, Mistral jacket and tights kept the core warm but even ski gloves with merino liners struggled to keep feeling in my fingers.

Either there were great climatic variations across the country or, more likely, we have significantly different metabolisms.

Not sure what part of the country you were in

Athlone/Ballinasloe, it was around 1 or 2 degrees when I headed out I think:D

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

64k today from Swords to Hollystown, Ratoath, Roganstown, malahide estuary and Portmarnock . Beautiful out there particularly the run into Portmarnock . Sea looked amazing in the sun . Roads were fine as I left after 11am . Castelli Alpha jacket and a neck warmer thing helped to keep me warm . Averaged just under 31kmh which helped keep me from freezing !

Was out running a few errands this evening on the bike , heard a large vehicle coming from behind not in a hurry but give me a light beep. Road gritter warning me he was coming and giving me the chance to pull in a little ways up ahead. I've been lashed out of it by them in the past so it was much appreciated :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

44km today, fairly blustery too any time I was heading south/east. Hope to be out the next few days too, lighter winds forecast.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement