Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

A lap of the phoenix park with the wife on her single speed cruiser at a leisurely 13kph. Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Niall145

After a long time being a little unadventurous with the bike (i.e. Howth Head and not much else), was time for a good workout today. Gorgeous cycle up Sally Gap from City Centre up by Rathfarnham/Cruagh Road and down by Lough Tay/Luggala and Roundwood, could not have been a better day for it. Also a great descent to Greystones along this very quiet, scenic minor road, and a quick dip in the sea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Magic alright and also the mythical home of Boards/Cycling ;)

Fixed that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Did the Reservoir Dog yesterday along with a good few Boardsies. Thoroughly enjoyable spin. Legs were fairly shredded afterwards but the setting and company on the road were top notch. I knew what to expect on most of the route and was delighted to have a 32 on the back going up Cunard.
    Made it round in 5:07, cant wait for next years one.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/700318332

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Ballyboden - Kilternan - Foxes - Cruagh and back over lunch. Hot out there and felt the climbing but great to get out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Just a quick 36KM warm up spin , 1st of few this week I think before Sunday's 100KM Great Dublin Bike Ride ...very very warm even in the shade air temp 24 deg plus.

As Sunday is my first 100KM ride I do not know how far I should push it this week before hand ? ( Plan to do two more spins)

I have done 70KM ..and I see from the route profile it is downhill after 65KM after a few big hills in Meath.

Weather for Sunday Morning looking a bit mixed at this early stage.

https://www.strava.com/activities/702507662

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

DominoDub wrote: »
    Just a quick 36KM warm up spin , 1st of few this week I think before Sunday's 100KM Great Dublin Bike Ride ...very very warm even in the shade air temp 24 deg plus.

As Sunday is my first 100KM ride I do not know how far I should push it this week before hand ? ( Plan to do two more spins)

I have done 70KM ..and I see from the route profile it is downhill after 65KM after a few big hills in Meath.

Like yourself, this will be my first 100km.

I did almost 30km this morning before Sunday. I will probably do a 40-50 tomorrow or Thursday, and maybe a 10km on Saturday to confirm everything is as it should be before the 100km, but I wouldn't want to be overdoing it this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

smacl wrote: »
    Ballyboden - Kilternan - Foxes - Cruagh and back over lunch. Hot out there and felt the climbing but great to get out.

1st time out post Dog?

I got out for 55 gloriously flat kilometres this morning

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

1st time out post Dog?

I got out for 55 gloriously flat kilometres this morning

Yes indeed. Was planning on Glassamucky but legs said no, weren't even happy about getting dragged up to Foxes. Flat sound nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

My first outing since the Dog on Sunday.. Everything was sore, arms. legs. back even my feet! Only had time for my usual 40Km before picking kids up but after Sunday, the hill from Ballyboughal to Naul is a mere bump (still slows me down a lot though..)

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1341954061

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

30km from work to the folks place. Must've had a tail wind because somehow I managed it at 27.3kmh which is the fastest I've managed without the aid of gravity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Post-Dog club spin that was meant to be gentle but somehow ended up as a high-speed chase from Swords out to Kilcock. The second cups of coffee in Timeless and the tail wind ensured an even faster return.
    Hopefully this link to Relive CC will work - it's a new toy for anyone on Strava: https://www.relive.cc/view/702457141
    Excuse the Kilkock spelling!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Man it was warm...47.3 km in mid Louth / Meath this evening in 1.31 hrs at an avg of 31.2 kmph and they called this a cool down before we tackle the Giants Causeway this weekend !!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

DominoDub wrote: »

https://www.strava.com/activities/702507662

Don't do anything hard before Sunday, you aren't going to improve your fitness this close to the event.

Go for a nice easy 20km or so on Thursday just to keep things ticking over and to make sure everything on the bike is working as it should.

Take the first half on Sunday a bit easier then you think you can go and you'll be grand for the second half and have an enjoyable day out on the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

63kms around NCD. Nice and warm, very tired though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Magic alright and also the cultural home of Boards/Cycling ;)
    we need to figure out who's who and who's where because we probably pass each other relatively often.

i'm on a kinda gunmetal grey ridley frame, usually a yellow or a blue and white top, doing at least 35km/h while making it look easy, while exuding an air of sophisticated sexiness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Brought a DVD back to the Sexicon. Down to Ringsend by the Dodder, then along the coast on the Booterstown cycle path through Blackrock Park. That brought me to Blackrock Station. Around to Seapoint and…

Oooohhh, the sea looked delicious. Went a bit down the metals. Hooshed up and took another look. Hell with it. Went back, locked up the bike and got my togs, and went in for a glorious dip, just cold enough to be refreshing but no real bite in it, a little bit bouncy.

Back on the bike, over to Dun Laoghaire and brought the DVD back into the Lexicon, ran into an old workmate and had a long chat. Out again, down to Sandycove, managed to resist it, then to the Forty Foot - ah, hell, this is too nice. Locked up the bike. Back in. Icy compared to Seapoint, gorgeously sparkly and zizzy, with the waves going two metres either way. Super.

Back on the bike, back to Mao for some hot spicy coconut soup. Back along the coast, which had, strangely, grown longer since I passed the other way. In Blackrock Park passed many too-fast cyclists staring grimly ahead through shades, who failed to respond to the old little-finger-wiggle cyclist hey-there signal. All along Sandymount passed many, many, many glum drivers all by themselves in cars.

By the time I reached Roly's a couple of toes were again a big numb. Really should look at that saddle, but then amn't I going to get a decent bike soon…

Near home, decided to buy a bottle of pinot noir to celebrate the two lovely swims - not a usual thing in the middle of the week, but hey… Stopped and had a chat with a neighbour about Kilkenny and Parnell and picked up all the local gossip. Home to watch another episode of Luc Besson's No Limit over a bowl of brown rice and some cold chicken and veggies. Blissy!

we need to figure out who's who and who's where because we probably pass each other relatively often.

i'm on a kinda gunmetal grey ridley frame, usually a yellow or a blue and white top, doing at least 35km/h while making it look easy, while exuding an air of sophisticated sexiness.

25j8hev.jpg

As you can see, we're virtually twins except my bike is sexy too ;) Most of my cycling other than sportives is on Tuesday or Thursday group spins with Swords CC. By the way, that's Daroxtar on my shoulder in the photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Chuchote wrote: »
    Brought a DVD back to the Sexicon. Down to Ringsend by the Dodder, then along the coast on the Booterstown cycle path through Blackrock Park. That brought me to Blackrock Station. Around to Seapoint and…

Oooohhh, the sea looked delicious. Went a bit down the metals. Hooshed up and took another look. Hell with it. Went back, locked up the bike and got my togs, and went in for a glorious dip, just cold enough to be refreshing but no real bite in it, a little bit bouncy.

Back on the bike, over to Dun Laoghaire and brought the DVD back into the Lexicon, ran into an old workmate and had a long chat. Out again, down to Sandycove, managed to resist it, then to the Forty Foot - ah, hell, this is too nice. Locked up the bike. Back in. Icy compared to Seapoint, gorgeously sparkly and zizzy, with the waves going two metres either way. Super.

Back on the bike, back to Mao for some hot spicy coconut soup. Back along the coast, which had, strangely, grown longer since I passed the other way. In Blackrock Park passed many too-fast cyclists staring grimly ahead through shades, who failed to respond to the old little-finger-wiggle cyclist hey-there signal. All along Sandymount passed many, many, many glum drivers all by themselves in cars.

By the time I reached Roly's a couple of toes were again a big numb. Really should look at that saddle, but then amn't I going to get a decent bike soon…

Near home, decided to buy a bottle of pinot noir to celebrate the two lovely swims - not a usual thing in the middle of the week, but hey… Stopped and had a chat with a neighbour about Kilkenny and Parnell and picked up all the local gossip. Home to watch another episode of Luc Besson's No Limit over a bowl of brown rice and some cold chicken and veggies. Blissy!

Now that is what I call "functional cycling"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Cycling to work this morning with no bag. It makes such a difference, most of it possibly mentally mind but I'll take that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

It was yesterdays spin, but 65k around from Ratoath to Kilcock and back via Carton House. About 5k from the house going towards Dunshaughlin I glanced behind to see a group (Swords) coming up behind me. I was thinking I would get a tow, but no they had other ideas. They must have went via Culmullen , I went via Doreys. I think I saw them having coffee (Timeless cafe) in Kilcock (Hiya). It was very warm out, I never sweated as much. Must have been about 26C out there. I really feel for the lads in Spain with 36C upwards.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The last to mornings have been fantastic for spins. Did 40km each day an despite dressing down it was extremely warm for that time of the morning (5am!)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Luxman wrote: »
    It was yesterdays spin, but 65k around from Ratoath to Kilcock and back via Carton House. About 5k from the house going towards Dunshaughlin I glanced behind to see a group (Swords) coming up behind me. I was thinking I would get a tow, but no they had other ideas. They must have went via Culmullen , I went via Doreys. I think I saw them having coffee (Timeless cafe) in Kilcock (Hiya). It was very warm out, I never sweated as much. Must have been about 26C out there. I really feel for the lads in Spain with 36C upwards.
    See post 523 above. That would have been the Swords CC Tuesday morning pensioners group!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1343938397

Same route as yesterday but in reverse. Legs still not recovered from Sunday but was a nice morning for a spin

See post 523 above. That would have been the Swords CC Tuesday morning pensioners group!

2vrwd4j.jpg
    At least one of the group would take exception to the "pensioners" tag tongue.png

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

2vrwd4j.jpg
    At least one of the group would take exception to the "pensioners" tag tongue.png
    Believe me, he won't. He has a year to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Chuchote wrote: »

I am originally from Williamstown and I know the cycle path through the park very well & I have seen many a cyclist bomb along that cycle path in the park, its only a matter of time before somebody gets seriously hurt by a speeding cyclist.(no I am not one of them!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

bog standard commute until one of those cyclists decided to squeeze by me at a red light, just so that he could sit in front of me.

karma soon followed as his unclipping of his left foot didn't quite go to plan :D unfortunately he didn't fully fall over but i didn't let that reduce the volume of my snorts of laughter behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

bog standard commute until one of those cyclists decided to squeeze by me at a red light, just so that he could sit in front of me.

karma soon followed as his unclipping of his left foot didn't quite go to plan :D unfortunately he didn't fully fall over but i didn't let that reduce the volume of my snorts of laughter behind him.

So you have a guy not being able to clip in and you're still behind him? How slow are you?

I had a major clip-in incident going up a hil last week and my leg is bruised from groin to knee, luckily my other leg unclipped in time or it could have been worse. I honestly think there must be some school of thought that encourages people to get in front of cars, which is why i think you see a lot of people pushing to the front.

So the question is, did he leave you in his dust after he managed to clip? In which case he was probably in his rights to over take you at the lights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

So you have a guy not being able to clip in and you're still behind him? How slow are you?

I had a major clip-in incident going up a hil last week and my leg is bruised from groin to knee, luckily my other leg unclipped in time or it could have been worse. I honestly think there must be some school of thought that encourages people to get in front of cars, which is why i think you see a lot of people pushing to the front.

So the question is, did he leave you in his dust after he managed to clip? In which case he was probably in his rights to over take you at the lights

his problem was unclipping, not clipping in. he tried to unclip while we were stopped at the lights so in terms of how slow am i? static at that point and not as fast as i'd like otherwise :pac:

i wouldn't complain about him doing it if he took off up the road ahead of me...after i passed him on green that was the last i saw of him...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement