Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Yesterday a very gingerly outward spin to just beyond Blessington and back , all via main roads as side roads were far too dangerous. A spin of 2halves, spin home was perfect road coneditions. 50km avg 25.6 kph

Today: rode into Gorey to meet the touring group, out to Camolin, Ferns and just beyond Enniscorthy and back to Gorey. 88.5 km Avg 28.5 kph.
    An 11.5km cool down spin home. All in a ton today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

At the in-laws in Kilkenny overnight so went for a late solo spin this morning once things thawed a bit.

Part 1: Kilkenny City to Paulstown. I usually take a while to warm up but felt brilliant this morning. I haven’t raced before but thinking I could do the Ras this year, maybe even win a few stages. Better buy some new wheels I’m thinking. I deserve them and they’ll keep me motivated.

Part 2: Paulstown, Gowran, Thomastown, Ballyhale. I’ve changed direction and there’s a slight wind in my face. I’m working a lot harder -why am I going so slow? My front mudguard might be rubbing. Or perhaps it’s something to do with bearings? A4 is going to be a real leap for me. Longing for the comfort of the club spin.

Part 3: Ballyhale,Knocktopher, back to Kilkenny. I wonder what the shortest race in the inter club league is? Maybe around 30km? Make mental note to check when I get back to Dublin.

66km @ 28.1km/h

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Not sure what part of the country you were in but around NCD it never got above 3 degrees in the afternoon and had dropped to zero by the time I got home. A few dangerous icy spots too, mainly on shaded corners around Kilbride.

Base layer, arm warmers, jersey, Mistral jacket and tights kept the core warm but even ski gloves with merino liners struggled to keep feeling in my fingers.

Either there were great climatic variations across the country or, more likely, we have significantly different metabolisms.

Did a bit of a bike and hike effort on Saturday and also had all the layers on. The end section of Cruagh lane to Masseys was sheet ice where the car tracks had been with a narrow rideable bit given MTB tyres at the edges. Was quite glad to get off and walk when the time came, with lovely crisp snow up Kilakee mountain and not many people around. Coming back down on the bike was bitter even though there had been a thaw over the day and had my first mug of Bovril in years. Amazing the number of MTB tracks in the snow above Cruagh wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Decided to tackle Bohernabreena hill this morning after a failed attempt yesterday, due to the sun being directly in my eyes, and more importantly in the eyes of vehicle drivers. I really didn't want my back broken, so I turned on my heal half way up.

So I went up it this morning, and then continued on up the piperstown climb, to the featherbeds. I can be quite stupid like that.

Luckily, I had my snow and ice tyres on, but the side winds from the right were horrendous and made it impossible to cycle the whole way. Plus me being off the bike for 6+ months didn't help :pac:

I had to walk the bike for parts, the side winds were unreal, but I thoroughly enjoyed myself. :o

My ass is still breaking itself in, again, but this time as a non 40+ a day smoker.

Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/2120849304

IG: https://www.instagram.com/stories/david_taking_photos/?hl=en (yeah, I like cats)

I'm back, back and blessed to be so :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Insta story looked epic, mad going up and I'm sure going down was fun in places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Standard four hours steady around west Dublin, Meath and Kildare yesterday. A few sprinklings of rain but no ice so it was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

barely needed the lights this morning, fully bright by the time I hit Rathmines which is about my halfway point. Spring is coming!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Just shy of 69km solo yesterday, brought light jacket just in case. Was nice starting out, but had a fierce headwind for the last about 20km. Glad I brought jacket as it started raining last 10km to go. Found last 20 hard on the arse, (lack of distance lately) but persevered. Glad it was over at the end:-) 68.77km, 2:44:10, avg 25.1kph. Can't wait for the long evenings again, and the (slightly) warmer weather...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Decided to try and get the Feb fondo done with the better weather. Headed for Howth, then Naul, Stamillen and back to Skerries. Garmin was reading 98.6 when I got to the house so had to ride 700m up the road and come back to get the full 100km.
    Not a bad day for it, and even managed a PR up Howth hill!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Stayed up a bit later than usual last night to watch a bit of the Super Bowl. Headed off this morning at 10am, lovely morning too. Back just after 12 with 50km done. All good. Shoved all the gear in the washing machine including Mrs Rushfan's set of house & car keys. She can never say that I don't keep things clean at least!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Got a bit drenched this morning. Cycled to a funeral and got covered in muck from the roads, so much slime and mud about. And then when the funeral was over I got drenched in a downpour. Forgot to put on my shoe covers so have soaked shoes and socks for my return journey in the next hour. Just one of those days I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Got a bit drenched this morning. Cycled to a funeral and got covered in muck from the roads, so much slime and mud about. And then when the funeral was over I got drenched in a downpour. Forgot to put on my shoe covers so have soaked shoes and socks for my return journey in the next hour. Just one of those days I suppose!

praise the lord for a drying room! for a long time it was either wet shoes in the evening or leaving wet gear on a radiator near my desk, which never went down too well with my neighbours in the office!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If you dropped your balaclava on Shelblourne Road this evening, I have it.

praise the lord for a drying room! for a long time it was either wet shoes in the evening or leaving wet gear on a radiator near my desk, which never went down too well with my neighbours in the office!

Used to have a fella leave his towel on the coat rack next to an AC unit beside my desk in a job, wasn't long telling him what to do with it, and then dealing with the smelly f'n thing my self.

Gob on him when he arrived in one morning asking where ''stinky" as we'd dubbed it was to be told it was in the bin where it belonged, didn't leave a towel there again :D

Some people, no problem with clothing needing to be dry, that gets put on at 5pm and taken home for a wash, but a week or more old towel?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dark leaving, windy as feck for the first half, still a great spin. Legs aren't even cooked which is a great sign for sportive season.

A solo spin out to blessington via Manor Kilbride and 3 castles and around lake drive and back via manor Kilbride and home and home. Strong oul headwind heading out. Hadn't been around lakes since last November, really enjoyed it,. I tend to go valleymount to Lacken direction, but I met a lot of riders heading Lacken to Valleymount direction.
    70 km avg 26.6 kph

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

70km, out to the hill of tara, 28.something average. little bit breezy out there, but cold and clear. had a weird glitch on my garmin (small cheapo one) where it stopped displaying distance and speed, so i saved and powercycled, but all the data seems to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Solo spin out west 63km, averaged 27kmph - encountered all four seasons on the way round....

https://www.strava.com/activities/2136484867

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

86 km and about 700 mtr climbing on rolling roads. Grand spin

should be a cracking week weatherwise for this time of the year, southerly winds and high pressure.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

a slow spin down beyond Enniskerry, including the lower part of the wall for the first time. I've never gone so slow that I can recall, was on a really bad day anyway but that nearly killed me! 5.5kph at one point :o

that said it was such an amazingly clear day that when we were up at any height the views were pretty amazing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

secman wrote: »
    A solo spin out to blessington via Manor Kilbride and 3 castles and around lake drive and back via manor Kilbride and home and home. Strong oul headwind heading out. Hadn't been around lakes since last November, really enjoyed it,. I tend to go valleymount to Lacken direction, but I met a lot of riders heading Lacken to Valleymount direction.
    70 km avg 26.6 kph

Did you use strava by any chance? I often go that direction, and would like a few new routes around the lakes. It sounds like one I have done, would like to compare, if posssible.
    Thanks,

wheelo01 wrote: »
    Did you use strava by any chance? I often go that direction, and would like a few new routes around the lakes. It sounds like one I have done, would like to compare, if posssible.
    Thanks,

Sent you a PM

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

first commute in a good while which didn't include arm warmers and/or overshoes and/or full length leggings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭mbradso2003

Seen a Segway lit up like an xmas tree going southbound at Mosque in Clonskeagh this morning..

Seen a Segway lit up like an xmas tree going southbound at Mosque in Clonskeagh this morning..

never seen one on Dublin roads and I cycle near Google :D where I have seen some strange contraptions that pass for methods of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Had 2 meetings scheduled for today, so no cycling planned. The afternoon one was cancelled so it was great to get out albeit only 43km. Especially since yesterday morning I only got 5km in due to a broken headset. Those days when you don't expect to get out and then plans change are always a bonus.

A few hills tonight, up the Embankment, left turn at Lisheen , out by Kippure village, left turn up military road by the army camp, down ballinascorney by the waterworks and home.
    43 km 570m avg 22.8kph
    Lovely night ,mild enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Lovely spin this morning (26.5km), first time in shorts and fingerless gloves this year, spring is coming! Nearly crashed in Clondalkin when I hit a bad bump at about 35km/h whilst taking a drink but managed to keep it up. Nabbed a KOM on the canal so that made up for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

First time in a good while I was sweating when I got back. It was a lot warmer lat night....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement