Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Unable to make the club spin for various reasons, I headed out solo after 9.30. The rain started around 5km in. Crossed into south Co Meath where I spent most of the duration. 65km @ 28.4km/h. Needed assistance getting gloves and shoes off, first time all Winter that has happened. Frozen!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Club spin with plenty hardy souls out which surprised me given the forecast. Rain started pretty much after we left and an early puncture for me made us all wary about the spin ahead, one of those days and all that.

The weather got worse and we got colder but it was a cracking spin with a few efforts to get heart rates up. As cold as it was the legs felt good all day long though I did make an effort to increase my cadence due to the conditions so that may have helped.

88km at just over 30 km/hr avg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Not great weather for cycling, but rode to pick up a new car, and then went for a coffee before commuting to work. Just looked at Strava there, and this time last year I was at 920km and this year I'm at 1984km. Doubly happy with that number, as it's one of my favourite album titles!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Great day where I am and cruised around after work running errands on the work bike. The feeling of fresh ish air and no traffic delays while folk ponder life in traffic jams is great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's a grand morning for cycling in an easterly direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Yeah, I'm just heading off now for The Isle of Man.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i managed to sustain an average of over 40km/h for 9km on a flat enough road this morning. felt good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I past the cyclists doing their sprint from the Arklow roundabout this morning. There were zipping along heading north (with the wind behind them). I'm assuming they turned at some point for the unpleasant return journey into the headwind?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

RD cable snapped in the shifter. About the worst pain of a job you can do on a bike. Preventative maintenance. Say it with me children, Preventative maintenance.

After fixing that short spin to try and beat a clubmates PB on a hill. Shaved 3s off my time but still 10s short of his. Soon. 27 avg out turned into 24 avg after the return leg :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Windy and very wet this morning...50km

https://www.strava.com/activities/2201326702

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Got a good easterly run this morning from maynooth, any other direction wasn't happening so hopped on the train and then had a short spin in full headwind from greystones to my friends house. Later the wind died off so managed the full spin home but I need a better route for future. The n11 is an incredibly frustrating road to cycle and not really because of motorists. Then my seatpost decided to break a mile from home - wasn't expecting that!

How did that happen? Broke as in snapped in half, or saddle came loose?

The top of the post itself cracked. Annoying as it won't be really cheap. Going to see if giant can be reasonable about replacing it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

I cycled from home to town via the Grand Canal cycleway. I'm in Tallaght so it was extremely out of my way but cycling on the non arterial routes in town really helped my confidence. I'm only new to cycling really. Way back was grand too, unfortunately left it a bit late (c. 18:00) for the canal... one or two dodgy characters between Inchicore and Labre, and had to speed through a group of 15 year olds with a scrambler in Clondalkin, who then sped up beside me and stared alongside for a few seconds. Thankfully they didn't do anything, but sure I'm from the Jober, they'd probably **** bricks if they knew.

All in all, 22km in 1hr 5 on the way in, 22km in 1hr 20 on the way home. Good day but my legs may disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

One rough morning, 42km, struggled to average 25kmph...

https://www.strava.com/activities/2203723510

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Jebus crazy weather out. Started out sunny, got lashed with cross winds and hail then for the final half hour was so nice and sunny had to take my gloves off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

^^ This^^
    Club spin today followed the route of the Ras Naoimh Finian, give or take a couple of km. Started out bright but very cold, then a foul headwind sprung up and absolutely battered us but the temperature rose a few degrees. The drag up Ginnybawn coming into Tyrellspass was torture but over the top, the descent was even harder as the shelter from the rise was stripped away and we had to pedal hard downhill!!
    Had a well deserved hot cuppa and scone in the Castle and then walked out into a mini blizzard. Luckily the wind was behind us so we tore back the way we came while at the same time the sky cleared and the temperature rose back up to about 7 degrees again. Legs were well shook by the time I got home.
    Outward leg, 22-26kph average, return leg 36-42 kph.
    78km @29kmh.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2203686643

60km earlier, got lashed out of it with snowy hail or haily snow at one point. last 12km was done on a slow puncture on the front wheel, i decided that it was better to pump it every 2km rather than try to wrestle the tyre off on the side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

I past the cyclists doing their sprint from the Arklow roundabout this morning. There were zipping along heading north (with the wind behind them). I'm assuming they turned at some point for the unpleasant return journey into the headwind?

Yup, TT race from ARFC to the beehive pub I think

Headed into the wind down towards Gorey and across to carnew and on to tinahely, was then pushed to Arklow. Nice cold 80 km, first time on the road bike this year and struggled with my flexibility by the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Running late this morning so drove to Gorey for club spin, down to Arklow, woodenbridge, Aughrim, Tinnahely, was hanging on to racing guys tails, had missed the turn the touring crew branched off in Arklow. We were caught in a heavy blustery hail,snow, sleet squall, I headed up over Annagh Gap, and In to Gorey the others went onto Carnew, Gorey.
    My spin was 66km, 750m and avg 26.3 kph.
    Happy enough, but not feeling as good as I could be on the bike, carrying a few niggles, shoulder, back and glutes, time to visit physio for a tune up :)
    It's gas we wouldn't dream of not getting bikes and car tuned up.... but our bodies , sceil eile !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

I hummed-and-hawed all morning about whether or not to go out because of the awful weather. Finally a break in the rain came and I decided to get a quick hour in, just down the road and back, 30km.

I made a u-turn for the return leg, picked up a lovely tail wind and settled in to blast back to catch the last 40km of Paris-Nice and, of course, the rear tyre blows 13km from home and I'd forgotten my pump.

Many thanks to my girlfriend for the rescue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

Did the Camlough Spring 60 yesterday. Great event and impeccably organised. You'd wonder what will happen to cross border events like this, if/when Brexit goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

bazermc wrote: »
    Jebus crazy weather out. Started out sunny, got lashed with cross winds and hail then for the final half hour was so nice and sunny had to take my gloves off.

Sounds like my leisurely cycle too, albeit without the nice and sunny end part.

Some serious headwind out there, felt like I wasnt moving forward at all

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I was set upon by 2 dogs who came out from a rural house west of Stamullen this morning. I had to get off the bike to fight them off. Managed to get a pic of one of the dogs much to the displeasure of the owner who said she didn't 'appreciate it'. She claimed that she had an electronic fence which the dogs could not pass. :rolleyes:

Anyway, using the Eircode finder site, and my Strava route, I managed to get the full name and address of the house and the Eircode. I contacted Meath Co Co Dog Warden division and they took all the details and asked me to email the pic.They then gave me a 'case number' and took my details and said they'd be in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

weather has been brutal lately, but still cycled to work each day (still on 100% for the year!). Nearly took the car today after yesterdays ride in a hail storm, but it wasn't so bad today so rode in. The wind seems to be picking up now, so should hopefully blow me home later.

Finally got to tick off the royal canal "Greenway" option for the commute. Not by choice as the seatpost on my road bike broke on Saturday
    Pity that the path is closed of between intel and confey so I went around. Fair bit of mud overall got well covered. Deep sinking section was lethal, frozen tree roots, a good challenge. As always better if you keep your speed up.
    Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/3WjaxmFSYU

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭devonp

the section from Louisa bridge to Confey is open(or was at the weekend for the dog walk..), i'm local,

so just a short section of road to LB is all that should be necessary:)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Gerry wrote: »
    Finally got to tick off the royal canal "Greenway" option for the commute. "

I love that route. Enjoy it now in its 'raw' form and look forward to the new version:

https://consult.fingal.ie/en/consultation/royal-canal-urban-greenway-public-engagement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Cycled home yesterday against the wind. I couldn't drop a jogger between Kimmage and Templeogue Bridge. We were neck and neck all the way. Not great for the old confidence. :D

Checked the wind speed when i got home and it was 54kmh. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Similar winds today - took a spin from Dublin out the N11 to Dalkey and then back on the Rock Road - mostly about 35-40km/h on the way out, with a peak of 68.1km/h on the bus lane just after Foxrock church, but mostly 22-24km/h on the way back in. Total average 26.6km/h

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement