Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

https://www.strava.com/activities/2251591393

Nice spin out west this morning, grand and mild, shorts and no gloves, bit drizzly in spots but calm... 63km @ 28km avg

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

110km in fabulous Spring weather.

Unfortunately there were 2 deliberate close passes, the drivers on both instances pointing at the cycle lanes (which was either a cobbled village path or else filled with people on family rides).

The first was on open road (70kph limit) with clear view for several hundred meters, an easy overtake. The second was entering a village. The driver followed me through a junction, right up my ass because there was a car approaching and he had to accelerate to make it through in time. I offered him a very firm hand gesture.

Heart is still racing from the last close pass. What the **** is wrong with people.

Actually I did a recount and it was 4 in total. Nice. New record

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

105 Km from Edgeworthstown to Ballinacarrigy and along the canal to Maynooth, train home from there.

Plenty out cycling and walking, chilly enough at times, the sun was never out for long enough. Pint and sandwich in Mary Lynchs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

136 km at the Stephen Roche Atlantic Challenge, super spin very well organised. Much better organised and supported by locals in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Back after 6 week break, great weather, just shy 30km avg 25.2 yesterday 25.9 kph today. Thought would be a lot slower. Bring on the long evenings...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

shaka wrote: »
    136 km at the Stephen Roche Atlantic Challenge, super spin very well organised. Much better organised and supported by locals in Kerry.
    Did that too. Fantastic event and the weather couldn't have been better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Weather was perfect , God dam weather last week was horrible and I was a bit worried but perfect .....

A guy came off quite badly over a wall, I was talking to ambulance driver later and she said he would be ok thank goodness , looked bad ....

Living in Kerry 20 years and climbed nearly every hill except connorpass so was great ...

Very well organised indeed ..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

Weather was perfect , God dam weather last week was horrible and I was a bit worried but perfect .....

A guy came off quite badly over a wall, I was talking to ambulance driver later and she said he would be ok thank goodness , looked bad ....

Living in Kerry 20 years and climbed nearly every hill except connorpass so was great ...

Very well organised indeed ..
    Kerry and Tralee in particular is better set up to handle events that size. Talked to a few locals after and they were curious about it but very pleased to see it there. I think it could be one for the calendar going forward.

Here's a photosphere I took at the top of the Connor Pass which wasn't too bad a climb at all. I found the big long drags after Dingle much harder.

I saw the ambulance at that crash too. It was at a sharp right bend I think after a fast descent. Hope the guy is okay. Was passed by a few ambulances actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Nah, I was out around NCD. Loads of people out in full gloves and leggings, spotted a few in overshoes too. Was 13 degrees at noon avoiding to the car.

I wear the overshoes til around july/August!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

terrydel wrote: »

With the weather being Baltic over past few weeks cycling around ballaghsheen and ballagbeama in glencar by killorglin I decided to wear same yesterday and I have to say I didnt regret it , I did lose the hat alright but rest was same ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Just shy of 70km out about NCD. Hit 72kmh descending into Naul...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

from snowtown, or from the south?

from snowtown, or from the south?

Heading towards Snowtown. Went up that after as was feeling good and got a 2nd best time. Was with a guy who always beats me on the hills, but today I beat him for the first time ever.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

terrydel wrote: »

Same. Decided to go out for a spin over lunch given the sunshine coming in my office window and hit the first hail stones on the back road to Tibradden, followed by glorious sunshine on Tibradden, followed by far worse hail stones coming down Cruagh. Shout out to the guy in the lorry that patiently followed me down Cruagh at a lame pace in the crap weather without attempting any silly passes, many very decent drivers out there too. I looked like I'd got measles when I got back in :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think i managed to escape the worst of it, but did get my timing spectacularly wrong and headed out into a 5 minute downpour of hail. and it was sticky wet stuff, not the sort that bounces off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭dahat

6am Tuesday Tabata turbo which was awful then a 10 cycle to work when I got hailed on, not a good start to to the day.

Left work and spent far too long in LBS waffling forgetting I had to get a key cut, dash to woodies then got hailed on again.

No spare to cut my key so got soaked a second time for no good reason. Ah well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I was convinced I had left something on/plugged in that shouldn't have been and instead of doing the normal, nah you didn't, I cycled home to Santry and back on my lunch break. Probably never cycled it as quick.

Not used the commuting bike since the freehub went a few weeks ago, only round the garden with the kids. Jumped on this morning to find that as soon as I exert any pressure on the pedals, it starts skipping. After 2 km, turned back to get the other bike. That was hung up in the shed with no wheels, and could I get the rear wheel in? Lots of swearing later, I removed the QR skewer and managed to fit the wheel.
    All this faff made me 30 minutes late for work, and I need to go back to the LBS with the freehub problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Not used the commuting bike since the freehub went a few weeks ago, only round the garden with the kids. Jumped on this morning to find that as soon as I exert any pressure on the pedals, it starts skipping. After 2 km, turned back to get the other bike. That was hung up in the shed with no wheels, and could I get the rear wheel in? Lots of swearing later, I removed the QR skewer and managed to fit the wheel.
    All this faff made me 30 minutes late for work, and I need to go back to the LBS with the freehub problem...
    Funny you mention that, mine is in the Lbs getting replacement freehub... Must be the time of the year...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Active rest - dicked around the park and Royal canal keeping the HR below 100. Feckin freezing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Nice commute this morning but horrendous on the way home. Proper headwind, cold wind and rain. Bring on spring

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

31km at 31kph.

Quick 1 hour blast after work. I love Spring.

31km at 31kph.

you've created a rod for your own back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Set of intervals after work in crosswinds, rain and cold.

Felt like it was Belgian Classic weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The headwind this eve was proper icicle forehead stuff. My comute is ~8 mins and i was frozen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Went on a 38k tonight, drizzling lightly when I left but started raining heavy on the way back. Had waterproof kit so the rain didn't bother me too much. Interesting weather lately. Nice and sunny on my commute to town last week but I had to wear the Winter gloves and overshoes tonight.

Definitely need to replace the Shimano 105 pads. Maybe it's because I'm a bigger guy but they're absolutely awful in the wet. Doesn't matter how much I clean the pads and rim.

Ordered a set of SwissStop BXP pads, their previous Green GHP pads were great in the wet. BXP seems to have replaced them.

well, that was an ill wind which blew some good. i managed to knock nearly 10% off my previous best up newtownpark avenue. got to the top thinking 'i don't feel tired enough to have beaten my PR', but lo and behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

31km at 31kph.

With a username like that you'd want to try a smidgen harder

not a very pleasant cycle home...

• Advertisement

I got soaked cycling home last night, and it was freezing too. Boots were not dry enough to wear again today so went with shoes and covers - grand enough at 9am this morning, but not looking forward to going home later tonight now its wet again...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement