Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I went over an already dead squirrel in Rush on Saturday evening :(
    On the Skerries Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

On the Skerries Road?

On the way out of the town, close enough to Rush Fight Academy

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Did my first 100km spin yesterday on my newish Orbea Orca heading out from Leixlip up to Summerhill, Kilmessan and on up to Tara coming back via Trim & Summerhill.
    Lovely weather, birds singing (close pass with a blackbird) and no close passes. It was lovely!
    My left knee is in bits today though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

first 100km of the year on Saturday, Athlone to Ballymahon on the main road in heavy fog, then onto the Royal Canal Way as far as Mullingar, then Old Rail Trail greenway back to Athlone. 101.5km at 27.9kph average, with around 74km of that on greenways :D

the foggy spin to Ballymahon starting out was such a pleasant surprise - not one close pass, nobody beeping suggesting that I shouldn't be out, a couple of motorists following my hand signals to hold back as I could see oncoming cars that maybe they couldn't, then acknowledging as I waved them past.

the Royal Canal Way was beautiful while I encountered lots of wildlife on the Old Rail Trail, had a hare running ahead of me for a stretch at one point!

weather ranged from 7 to 18 degrees so layering proved my biggest problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

Managed 82km yday with roughly 750m of ascent, tipped along at a handy 26kph
    despite a fair bit of it being through traffic - first long spin as part of trying to get myself set to do the tour du lac in may (176km around lake geneva). Was training for this last year when I had a prat fall and bust my right shoulder in 2 places, so fingers crossed for no repeats this time. Almost a month to go, and a reasonable few km in the legs so hopefully will make it both to the starting line and the finish line this year!

the strava

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

35km today. In Majorca for the week. Picked up a rental bike for the rest of the week. Took it for a light spin to make sure it was set up ok. A Cannondale synapse with Di2.

Di2 is fantastic, but the wheels/tyres are better on my own bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,295 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

dub to enniskerry - glencree up and over and back to dub 53km 750 elevation. first non commuting ride in a few years, thought i'd feel worse

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Sunday: City Centre to a pint at the Blue Light, on to Johhny Foxes, up to Glencree, back down to Enniskerry and via Conna to Dun Laoghaire for chips and back home.

Monday: Blessington, Sally Gap (the headwind was dire!), was going to Luggala and Kilmacnogue, but headed back home via an ice cream at the viewing point (bloody small ice cream for the price) and Cruagh and Rathfarnham.

Shortish spins but nice to get some climbs in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

leaving work today, made mental note 'remember to pump the tyres when you get home, it's been about three weeks since you topped them up and they feel a little soft'.
    five minutes later, a textbook snakebite.

i wouldn't mind (well, i would), but i pretty much had the same sequence of events about 18 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

That's impressive going. I'm happy if I manage 10m climbing per kilometre, but that's over three times the climbing I usually get.

Cheers.

Friday was the road run to the Sally gap (104km with 1100m climbing) Monday was a Mtb old style adventure up hill and down dale spin.

• Advertisement

Didn't get out of the office until 6, a friend suggested meeting for coffee in Howth so I bolted out from Southside and over the head, only for the roadworks on the graveyard side I'd have had my best Howth Hill TT... kinda annoyed about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Flopped down on the couch after dinner, nodding off and had no intention of going out, but after wrestling with the idea in my head for a few mins I decided I'd go for a quick spin after a few mins.. After about 3k I felt great, legs felt strong, and weather was great so I pushed it a wee bit. Had 2 new pr's, one up Falti hill, broke the 3min mark. Feeling back to my old self after the break. Might try some slieve blooms soon in prep for some connemara spins... Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/vSwufUeT8V

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I was down with the Flu & a chest infection for the last two weeks & had been getting the bus into work. First time doing the 10k cycle in this morning nearly killed me. I was being overtaken by girls on high nellies with flowers in the baskets!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Flopped down on the couch after dinner, nodding off and had no intention of going out, but after wrestling with the idea in my head for a few mins I decided I'd go for a quick spin after a few mins.. After about 3k I felt great, legs felt strong, and weather was great so I pushed it a wee bit. Had 2 new pr's, one up Falti hill, broke the 3min mark. Feeling back to my old self after the break. Might try some slieve blooms soon in prep for some connemara spins... Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/vSwufUeT8V

You might wanna use a privacy zone on Strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Fourth spin of the year(not counting turbo) as I have been extremely demotivated about cycling the last few months. Today brought it all back why I love cycling, cycled out to cap de formentor in Majorca. Considering how little cycling done I am chuffed with it. Only had to “enjoy the scenery” once and that was at the 2nd last ramp to last summit(plus wasn’t the slowest on the strava segment:) ) got lost a few times trying to get through Port de Alcúdia in the way back to the hotel.

https://www.relive.cc/view/2315322312

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

Had been planning an 80km around Sallys Gap/Powerscourt today, cut short when it started lashing as I hit Botharnabreena - viewpoint climb so powered out a 50km in a jersey and pair of shorts...

Anyone have any routes that take in a good bit of climbing around the area in as short a loop as possible? Found out I'm a sucker for punishment when it comes to climbing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

https://www.strava.com/activities/2315204407

Didn't have a great deal of time but needed to get out after being away for a few days celebrating my brothers 50th birthday and other things coming up that will keep me off the bike.
    Just shorts and short sleeves, but got away with it. It was cooler than I first thought, but I soon warmed up.
    Cleaned the bike after - just before it started raining. Result.

Like Trigger, time wasn't on my side this evening but I wanted to earn the donut I'd eaten so I powered from the city to Chapelizod, up Chappo hill looped back around then up Knockmaroon giving it socks for the lot then back through the park and from Heuston to home. Those two hills can be bastards but powering up them in the lashing rain is no craic

first 100km of the year on Saturday, Athlone to Ballymahon on the main road in heavy fog, then onto the Royal Canal Way as far as Mullingar, then Old Rail Trail greenway back to Athlone. 101.5km at 27.9kph average, with around 74km of that on greenways :D
    That's nice 100k route, I think I'll 'borrow' it lol Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

That's nice 100k route, I think I'll 'borrow' it lol Thanks

you're very welcome :P

when you meet the canal on the N55 north of Ballymahon and are turning right onto the canal it's not immediately obvious which side of the canal to follow as it's paved on both sides and there are no signs that I could see. a local happened to be driving out one of those roads so I asked him and he advised to stick to the right hand side for that stretch. from there on it's pretty well signposted as to which side to follow.

• Advertisement

Strong crosswinds, forgot foot covers, so when the rain came feet got soaked. Aldi summer jacket kept the rain out, and it rained for about 20mins. Felt like I was cycling uphill most of the way. Negatives, wet feet, head, legs. Positives, light rain jacket is good, and I'm home:-P ah no, it's cycles like this that make me feel like I accomplished something. At least I got my cycle in. Tomorrow is supposed to be awful...at least I can enjoy my 2 beers and crisps tonight knowing their 'paid' for...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sometimes you enjoy the cycles more in retrospect than you do at the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yeah that was a tough cycle home!! Felt a lot tougher than 30mph south headwind.

Hailstones hurt like hell.. That was the windiest gustiest day yet. Very tough, but didn't get wet. Timed it right:-) picked up a nice pair of clear but ever so slightly tinted safety glasses in B&Q for €5. Worked great as was a slight tint and they wrap right around the side of the eyes to stop the breeze. Aldi overshoes on today. Warm feet...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Near 4hrs with 4 x 20 @ 75% then 4 x 20 & 85% ftp. Testing session with that headwind though I did use for the second set.

118km @31.2avg, solid effort behind the bars.

Ripped a set of VeloToze shoe covers before I left so pretty annoyed as I'd never worn em before other than 4 test fits. Ah well.

No wind tomorrow, can't wait. 3 easy hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Did the Western Lakes Atlantic Challenge - 100km - strong headwinds, rain and hailstones for the first couple of hours - came home in sunshine - averaged 29.2kmph...

https://www.strava.com/activities/2322361926

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Lovely 2 1/2 hour spin this morning from Leixlip to Howth summit and back (~73km).
    Not much wind or rain which made it fairly pleasant.
    The sore knee from last Monday's spin has come back with a vengeance so I reckon a trip to the physio is in order.
    Nothing eventful except the tosser in the WD reg Corolla who thought he could try overtake me on the Matt Talbot bridge as I was already about 2 feet into the RHS lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭positron

Local loop with a good mix of good roads (Drogheda, Donore, Duleek, Julianstown, Laytown, Drogheda), worked out to exactly 50k. Weather was okay, a bit of drizzle to keep things interesting, good way to send 2 hours on a Sunday evening. Looked like Duleek cystic fibrosis 10k was finishing up when I passed that way, I meant to do that this year. Woops.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

66km earlier. Really regret not putting on the knee warmers before I left. Cooler than I thought it might be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Punctured my rear GP4000 by cycling too close to the edge of the cycling path. Some glass and a small stone did the deed. I probably have less than 400km on the tyres. It was actually my first ever road-side inner-tube change. It went very smoothly until I tried to pump up the tyre again using a minipump. It was tougher than the spin! In the end I got enough pressure in the tyre to get me home, about 35km. The tyre still seems to be in decent condition - the tear is not large.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement