Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

One of those days today, cycled into town with the intention of doing a short spin, met a friend and we said feck it and headed for Glencullen, back down to Enniskerry then Bray and all along the coast, Kiliney Hill, Vico Road etc, stopped in Dalkey for coffee and then decided to head to Howth amd over the Head.

So my short spin was 97kms with 800 odd metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Went up the Sally Gap for the first time on Sunday. Cycled up through Bohernabreena. Going up wasn't as tough as i thought it would be in so far as that i didn't keel over at any stage.

Any tips for coming down hills at speed? I was kacking it on the return. Should I be hitting the brakes hard at all?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Any tips for coming down hills at speed? I was kacking it on the return. Should I be hitting the brakes hard at all?
    I'm no expert but I would assume that you should be able to stop within your field of vision. If I was coming down a windy country road then I would take it slower than a wide open road or dual carriageway.
    Same rule would apply to surface, junctions, etc. If I was confident that the surface was ok, junctions were quiet, etc then I'd be more comfortable with speed.

I'm no expert but I would assume that you should be able to stop within your field of vision. If I was coming down a windy country road then I would take it slower than a wide open road or dual carriageway.
    Same rule would apply to surface, junctions, etc. If I was confident that the surface was ok, junctions were quiet, etc then I'd be more comfortable with speed.

Going too fast isn't really an issue as i'm hammering on the brakes all the way down due to fear. :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Going too fast isn't really an issue as i'm hammering on the brakes all the way down due to fear. :D
    Yeah, I recall cycling down a large hill/small mountain in France on my hybrid and managing to nearly get 40km/h (leaving me quite unsatisfied).
    Recently on my new road bike, I topped 60km/h.
    Wonderful feeling especially with the warm air, given the recent bank holiday sun, but then the thought of hitting the tarmac teeth first made me pull the anchors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Trying to get in some sort of shape for some bicycle touring so I took my touring bike out for a 60 km cycle today.

I'm even less fit, and even fatter, than I thought. Glacial average speed of 18km/h, seemed quite hilly, Garmin tells me I did a total ascent of 700m.

Be honest, how terrible is this? ��

I did enjoy most of it so it wasn't all bad.

Use it as a reference starting point and move on from there. You will get fit pretty quick and see times drop if you keep it up. If you enjoyed it, all the better. Remember, you can't go 18km on a couch.....unless it's heavily modified:-p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'm fairly timid descending but the one thing I would say is to keep your weight over the back wheel. If you need to stop quickly, the front brake stops you much more effectively than the back, but if you jam on the front suddenly you run the risk of going over the bars so need to adjust your balance accordingly.

So, last night I left work, it was glorious, I went to Howth and up the Graveyard side then Old Carrickbrack Road, Windgate Road out onto Balkill and up to the Summit. Coffee in Il Panorama in the Village and home. 50ish KMs over an amazing evening.

This morning, shoe covers, rain coat, lights and feckin wind. Bloody cold too, a fine winters morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Not actually today...but Sunday: out of Claddaghduff, around Aughris head into Cleggan, over to Moyard, some lost roads on the back of Cleggan head, then back en route to Letterfrack, Lettergesh, Lough Fee and Lough Muck (is this the loveliest road in Ireland?) then right on the N59 to Kylemore, down Glen Inagh to the N59, further south towards Glynsk and right to Cashel, on to Roundstone, fish and chips, on to Clifden and out the Streamstown Bay road back to base. 132 with only 1200m of climbing, and a right nice day. If it was easier, I'd post some pix...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

out on my own to warm up and 33km out with the couch 2 50km group over two hills and plenty of back lanes, very wet but enjoyable enough

https://www.strava.com/activities/2352412733

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I was like a drowned rat by the time I arrived in the office this morning. It may as well have been a January morning with those conditions; cold, wet and blustery. Here's hoping things are a bit better this afternoon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

wasn't too bad leaving the house just after 6:30, but was raining by the time i got to work. however, rain is forecast for the afternoon in dublin.

wasn't too bad leaving the house just after 6:30, but was raining by the time i got to work. however, rain is forecast for the afternoon in dublin.

I took the mud guards off the bike a few weeks ago because i thought summer was here.

It is not. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I took the mud guards off the bike a few weeks ago because i thought summer was here.

It is not. :mad:
    Sounds like you need a new bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,616 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Planning on cycling around Portumna - Gort and on to Loughrea before back to Portumna on N65 on Monday or Tuesday morning next.
    Anything to be concerned about in terms of weekday traffic on these roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Club league Mtb race - sniper roots and muddy puddles.

Managed to pace well on the laps (knowing the correct number certainly helps) and got on the "podium".

Handicap next week will be a killer.

Bike will be washed tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

Weird bit of weather - lashed from lunch, decided to throw on most of my winter gear before heading out at 6, right as the sun started to come out!

52km - laps around Phoenix park, attempting some form of intervalss (are intervals more for turbo trainers or is it feasible to do them on a ride, any tips would be appreciated)

Lovely evening if still a bit nippy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

100km solo spin out west this morning, average 29.5

https://www.strava.com/activities/2358599879

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

Early morning spin today, group of seven of us , all stuck for time for various reasons, so did a straight run from Tallaght to blessington, on to Hollywood and straight back.
    65 km avg 31.95 kph.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

No non commuting cycling this weekend due to work and family occasion. However, I cycled to work today and only got a single traffic light the whole way. Between that, no traffic and being on the good bike I think I was in about 7 mins faster than normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

140KM at 29. Lovely out.

Anyone know when Manor Kilbride back towards Brittas got the new surface? It was very overdue. Lovin it.

Yesterday was D8, Rathcoole across to Brittas then up the gap, Enniskerry then Bray, finished there. 75kms and 750metres

Today was D8 to Blessington, lap of the lakes then headed for Naas and the back way to Rathcoole, Newcastle then down to the canal at Lucan to home. 100kms on the nose with another 700metres

• Registered Users Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Sandymount-Enniskerry-Glencree-Sallygap and back to Dublin. perfect weather, a little warmer than last week

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

took the newest bike out for its first decent spin. sweet as a nut (better than i was, a few pints last night and a dicky tummy meant i was not firing on all cylinders)

ED E wrote: »
    140KM at 29. Lovely out.

Anyone know when Manor Kilbride back towards Brittas got the new surface? It was very overdue. Lovin it.

About 2 weeks ago, expecting plenty of pb's on Lisheeen rise before ths obligatory 10 tons of loose gravel is dumped on it.

Headed into Gorey for club spin, up to Arklow, Woodenbridge and in to Avoca, up the long drag back to Arklow, back around by Arklow Rock to Castletown, around Tara hill to ballymoney, courtown and home. 78 km to Courtown 27.7 avg

10km Cool down spin home 25.5 kph avg.

Lovely day for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Missed club spin, did route solo hungover 😭

82km @28avg, fupped into wind

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Usual lunch time spin for me up to Masseys and on the the Hellfire club.
    Absolutely gorgeous day for it and any notion of getting decent times were put to bed by numerous dog walkers and a couple of horse riders so it ended up being a really nice lazy sauntering pace in the sunshine. Might try and get out again later if I can escape work at a decent hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Worked from home today, ended up just staring out the window all day looking at the sunshine. Managed to get out for a spin around Howth at 530 or so. Bloody gorgeous out, was delighted to stretch the legs. Plenty of cyclists out which is always great to see. Fingers crossed for more of this weather!

• Advertisement

Left work in the City Centre at 5.30 and set out for Burrow Road and on to Johnny Foxs for a quick coffee, on over to View Point and home to D8. 40kms and 550metres, really enjoying climbing this year, last year it was torture but being lighter and about 600% fitter is obviously a little helpful

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement