Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

Lucky enough to have the day off. Got out for a good spin of 111km with 980m climbing @ 28.2 km/h average, around South Dublin and Wicklow. Beautiful day for it. Passed plenty of cyclists and an unusual amount of roadkill.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

loads of hedgehog roadkill on the roads.

got out for 50km or so this evening, went looking for ducky rooney's lane that WA mentioned and i think i found it.
    only my second time in man'o'war on the bike. some nice rolling roads around there. am still wondering where the town got its name, it's not a coastal town, albeit not that far from the coast.

got out for 50km or so this evening, went looking for ducky rooney's lane that WA mentioned and i think i found it.
    only my second time in man'o'war on the bike. some nice rolling roads around there. am still wondering where the town got its name, it's not a coastal town, albeit not that far from the coast.

http://www.manowar.ie/history

The ships one sounds plausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

Headed out n81 up embankment ,left up Lisheen and straight through, right turn for ballysmutten and back road to blessington bridge,
    Back via 3 castles, manor Kilbride, at Brittas headed uo by quarry and down ballinascorney by waterworks and home.
    54 km 529m avg 27 kph
    Lovely evening and good company.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

64km at 34.7kph & 290w NP according to my wahoo. Strava says it's lower but I'm going to ignore that. A new record for me in terms of sustained effort. The snot was flowing out of my nose like water from a tap. At one point I caught myself moving my jaw as if chewing the air, trying anything to get extra oxygen in.

It was also my first spin in my new arm warmers. They're class and served as excellent makeshift tissues.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2375393749

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Damn son thats some flat lands. I couldnt leave the house without gaining 100m :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

ED E wrote: »
    Damn son thats some flat lands. I couldnt leave the house without gaining 100m :pac:

Pretty much all the elevation gain is from motorway overpasses :D

Well, I can only ride what's in front of me

You made up for it in pace, just a stark contrast to S Dub.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

maybe thats a good thing..shows that their numbers are on the up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

90km 780m climbed, averaged 29.5km/hr...got a pb on a couple of climbs. But my legs and lower back really fatigued into the last 12 Kms. But very happy with my day in the saddle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Doc07

Not much free time today so quick loop with Stocking lane and Cruagh, Nico was doing effortless repeats, he looks so slick on the bike. Also was waving and saying hi to everyone.

Does he wear his Sunweb kit when he's out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Doc07

Does he wear his Sunweb kit when he's out?

Yes didn’t recognise it at first as it’s a red and black sunweb kit and not the familiar white and black

120 at 27. Despite the forecast during the week this turned out to be a cracking day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Wasnt feeling it today at all at all... was a struggle to get myself out the door. Got through 70k @27, D8 out to Rush and back so mostly flat.

Its days like today that I feel you make progress, push through the mental barrier and do it anyway

Most of the lads were doing the wicklow challenge today as prep for W200, so myself and another headed over and did a loop around Newbridge, kildare, Kilcullen, Dunlavin, Hollywood, Blessington and home. 112km avg 28.4 kph. 790 m A different spin for me, enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

ED E wrote: »
    120 at 27. Despite the forecast during the week this turned out to be a cracking day.

It was one of those days where, although there was a breeze, it didn't seem to affect you no matter which direction you were heading. There's about 2 of them in any year.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Great spin for me yesterday, the first long one on the road in a good while. I've been rising a lot of gravel and off road lately. As others have said, despite the forecasts, it was actually a great day weather wise too. Though it was a windy at times, it never felt like a struggle against the wind for some reason.

So anyway up over Cruagh and Featherbeds, a diversion up Kippure to the mast - where there were more cyclists (five) than I've ever seen there before at any one time. Hello to the lads from Newtownmountkennedy if you're reading. Then on through the Sally Gap to Laragh. Bit of lunch there then over the Wicklow Gap. After descending the Gap, going towards Hollywood, I noticed a little bog road to the right and thought I'd give it try. It turned out to be a really cool little lane over the hills, part of St Kevin's Way, according to the signs. I saw one car in about 15 km.

So that left me at the south eastern corner of the Blessington Lakes and I thought, sure why not. so span around the lakes and then back to Dublin via Kilbride and Ballinscorney. 110 km with about 1,800 m climbed, in about 6 hours or so. So no records broken for speed, but a really good day on the bike.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Nice spin this morning...
    Leixlip > Saggart > Blessington > Naas > Straffan > Leixlip
    70km @ 29.1km/h (410m elev gain) on a dodgy left knee.
    Was dry and cool without it being cold.
    Pity about the dickhead taxi driver, on the Dublin Rd from Celbridge, who was the only one to give me a close pass all morning (I'd say there was a foot at most between us). Scary as f**k!

A meandering spin this morning on a few new roads, headed into Gorey, around by the Rock and along a back road to eventually come out at Inch, right turn into Castletown, up towards Tara hill, right turn for loop around Tara hill and back to ballymoney, courtown and home. 62 km avg 26.4 kph 550 m.
    A nice chat all along the way, only 2 of us out from Gorey cc, touring group in Majorca and racers busy .... racing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

D8 > Howth > Portmarnock > Malahide > D8

I've taken to going up the graveyard side of Howth and swinging the left that brings you up to Windgate Road.

68kms all in. Weather was grand enough

• Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭dahat

5hr spin around the Copper Coast Road & home via The Vee from Cappaquinn. Nice day but a little windy at times and with a few efforts it was tough at times as I was on my own.

These long endurance spins are tough solo but it's hard to get company with efforts at certain watts etc. I need someone else on the exact same training plan!!!

I finished the spin feeling pretty good and hopefully this form carrys onto my next racing block.

157km @30.7 avg with 1,100 metres of elevation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Dahat, should've gone to Wicklow and cycled with Nico Roche. He's going around nicking KOMs everywhere.

Anyway, 100 KM Howth, Naul via Coast Road and Swords and back home. I miscalculated my distance and ended up cycling around Santry to grab an extra 9km for the 100.

PB up Howth which surprised me as my legs have felt brutal for a few days. I'm generally slower the last while than I have been the last 2 years, but im better at suffering uphill now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

https://www.strava.com/activities/2379847382/overview

First 100km of the year for me with 8 weeks off with a back injury. Felt good today and cycled up to the Yellow Furze sportive, did the 50km and came home 2nd, just pipped at the line. Cycled home to and had to make up a few km to get to 100, happy enough with the progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

Cyclotour du Leman for me today, 176 km around Lake Geneva starting in Lausanne. Stopped at every rest stop for a moving time of 5 hours 45 ish, with official 6 hours 23. Longest ride I'd had time for prior this year was only 85km, but apart from blowing out my ass between Geneva and nyon, it went well. Chuffed!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

How do you lads do it!!

I bought a hybrid recently and today went for my 1st real spin. I did a huge 22kms!! This was mainly around Dublin. Terenure, dundrum, UCD, City Centre and Terenure again.
    Wore padded shorts under regular shorts and that was great but here's the thing....Some of the cycle lanes would shake you to your core!! They really are in bad shape. I presume the "racer" higher end bikes must feel every bump and ripple on the road.
    Do you just get used to it or do you try to stay on the better road tarmac?
    Got soaked near UCD but it was lovely to be in the fresh air and to be exercising again!!

Those lanes like the ones like Templeville Road are worse than your average Wicklow boreen and thats really saying something.

If you're so inclined there is the likes of future shock which builds suspension into the saddle and headset (handlebars) to reduce the vibration. Its used by pros in Roubaix where they ride on cobbles at 40-60 kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

mfceiling wrote: »
    How do you lads do it!!

I bought a hybrid recently and today went for my 1st real spin. I did a huge 22kms!! This was mainly around Dublin. Terenure, dundrum, UCD, City Centre and Terenure again.
    Wore padded shorts under regular shorts and that was great but here's the thing....Some of the cycle lanes would shake you to your core!! They really are in bad shape. I presume the "racer" higher end bikes must feel every bump and ripple on the road.
    Do you just get used to it or do you try to stay on the better road tarmac?
    Got soaked near UCD but it was lovely to be in the fresh air and to be exercising again!!

i dont have any painted footpaths out my way :pac: but yeah going through places like churchtown on thin wheels is no fun, even something like the join between the road and cycle lane is enough to put me off.
    you are under no obligation to use cycle lanes so use road if you prefer

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i remember going for my first cycle after years off the bike (this was in 2014), up to the st. margaret's end of the runway and back home. i think i did 13km and felt like death warmed up for half an hour afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'm only getting used to being on a bike again but it's a lovely feeling. Sunday seems like a good day because the roads are quieter.
    I can see how you'd get hooked on it!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement