Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

mfceiling wrote: »
    How do you lads do it!!

I bought a hybrid recently and today went for my 1st real spin. I did a huge 22kms!! This was mainly around Dublin. Terenure, dundrum, UCD, City Centre and Terenure again.
    Wore padded shorts under regular shorts and that was great but here's the thing....Some of the cycle lanes would shake you to your core!! They really are in bad shape. I presume the "racer" higher end bikes must feel every bump and ripple on the road.
    Do you just get used to it or do you try to stay on the better road tarmac?
    Got soaked near UCD but it was lovely to be in the fresh air and to be exercising again!!
    I recently got a road bike ("racer") and its more prone to feeling bumps than my previous bike; a hybrid. The hybrid has bigger tyres so absorbs the bumps better.
    The hybrid is great for a workout but it's not designed for distance cycling or hills. You do get passed by people cruising on their road bikes.
    But then again, a hybrid is capable of some off road stuff.
    I once did about 65km on the hybrid travelling along main roads from Leixlip to Sutton and back and it nearly killed me! This morning I did 70km up to Blessington and back with a gammy knee no bother!
    You can't really compare the two to be honest. Just enjoy the spin at your own pace!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

115km (85 with club) with about 800 mtr climbing, windy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Did 63km out west this morning, looked like it was going to spill rain, but it never did (thankfully) - averaged 28.4...

https://www.strava.com/activities/2379719807

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Did a Wicklow 200 recce with a work colleague - he’s recently moved over from th UK so wanted to get a feel of the hills. Met up at the viewing point at cruagh then down into laragh up and over Shay Elliott then up Drumgoff. Turned around and back again, stopping at glenmalure for a coffee. 150km and Just shy of 2500m climbing, so properly knackered when I got home.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Did a Wicklow 200 recce with a work colleague - he’s recently moved over from th UK so wanted to get a feel of the hills. Met up at the viewing point at cruagh then down into laragh up and over Shay Elliott then up Drumgoff. Turned around and back again, stopping at glenmalure for a coffee. 150km and Just shy of 2500m climbing, so properly knackered when I got home.

I was just talking to someone about how lucky we are in Dublin compared to say London. A cyclist there would have to go to Wales or above Manchester to get near anything like the Wicklow mountains

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

silverharp wrote: »
    I was just talking to someone about how lucky we are in Dublin compared to say London. A cyclist there would have to go to Wales or above Manchester to get near anything like the Wicklow mountains

yep - I was in Athlone over the weekend looking to head out for a spin and even from there proper hills are an awful long way away!

I headed out for a 70km spin yesterday morning - Athlone to Kilbeggan and across to Castletown Geoghegan before back to Athlone on the greenway, wasn't feeling the love for anything longer tbh. missed a turn for Castletown Geogheganat one point, kept going, realised the error of my ways a few kms later and ended up adding about 30kms onto my spin via Mullingar for 102km @28.2kph. thing is I felt better than expected and ended up well happy with my mistake :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was telling a colleague, who lives in newbury, that you can go from the seaside to 750m near dublin, in approx. 25km. he was a little envious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

i was telling a colleague, who lives in newbury, that you can go from the seaside to 750m near dublin, in approx. 25km. he was a little envious.

And then there's the other end of the scale...Preparing for the Etape at the moment. Anyone know of a route with 4,000+ meters over a short 135k route in wicklow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Manged to get 4 counties into the commute this AM, from the M3 Parkway headed down to Leixlip then into Lucan, out to Jobstown then up Bothar na Breine and down to Eniskerry via Glencree back to Kiltiernan through the scalp and down to the office...

Unfortunately 'twas way too misty to get a few snaps.

But there's a lot of climbing available in a very handy distance alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

07Lapierre wrote: »
    And then there's the other end of the scale...Preparing for the Etape at the moment. Anyone know of a route with 4,000+ meters over a short 135k route in wicklow?

I would be interested in such route as well. Have a few days planned in French Pyrenees. Both ways up Tourmalet, that's 2800+ meters of elevation gain in 70km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

07Lapierre wrote: »

Thats a big ask coming from last years Marmotte training..
    Unless you want to do repeats of the same hill...
    I got 5200m in 250km....

Let me check think I got 3500m in 100km or so (Dublin) starting at the bottom of a hill ascending to nearly the top and returning to low ground on the same road and then hitting the next hill...Worked my way around to three rock broke two spokes in the process and never finished it...hadnt even reached Kippure

strmin wrote: »
    I would be interested in such route as well. Have a few days planned in French Pyrenees. Both ways up Tourmalet, that's 2800+ meters of elevation gain in 70km.

Here's one i did a few years ago.

https://www.strava.com/routes/318581

Thats a big ask coming from last years Marmotte training..
    Unless you want to do repeats of the same hill...
    I got 5200m in 250km....

Let me check think I got 3500m in 100km or so (Dublin) starting at the bottom of a hill ascending to nearly the top and returning to low ground on the same road and then hitting the next hill...Worked my way around to three rock broke two spokes in the process and never finished it...hadnt even reached Kippure

Agree it's a big ask. I've been playing around with strava route planner and i've yet to find anything close.

well..except this one: https://www.strava.com/routes/318581

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭Plastik

If you start in Laragh and do two reps of Laragh to the bottom of the southern side of Slievemaan, two reps to the top of Turlough hill, then out to the summit of Slievemaan and back to Laragh that's 140km with 4,150m.

Plastik wrote: »
    If you start in Laragh and do two reps of Laragh to the bottom of the southern side of Slievemaan, two reps to the top of Turlough hill, then out to the summit of Slievemaan and back to Laragh that's 140km with 4,150m.

Thanks. I'll create this on Strava and put it to the others and see if there on for giving this a go. I think doing the same hills repeatedly is both physically and mentally challenging! This route could be harder to do then the Etape itself!

Here it is:

https://www.strava.com/routes/19022743

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

You could do the first half of this ride and that'll get you over 2500m in 100km and you won't be further south than Glencree.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/25194578

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

What is it with dogs in rural areas that they either go mad when they see a bike or decide your game for a chase. Out last night up around Tayto park admiring some Buffalo grazing in one of the fields along one of the local backroads when 1 dog whos wandered out from his house decides to run about a hundred meters down the road in a vicious rage ending in a Mexican standoff. There was no way I was getting past him, he was ready to attack, tail in the air and growling so i let him win that one. Wasnt the 1st time ive had trouble with a dog from that particular house (may have been the same dog a few years ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Call. The. Warden.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

neris wrote: »
    What is it with dogs in rural areas that they either go mad when they see a bike or decide your game for a chase. Out last night up around Tayto park admiring some Buffalo grazing in one of the fields along one of the local backroads when 1 dog whos wandered out from his house decides to run about a hundred meters down the road in a vicious rage ending in a Mexican standoff. There was no way I was getting past him, he was ready to attack, tail in the air and growling so i let him win that one. Wasnt the 1st time ive had trouble with a dog from that particular house (may have been the same dog a few years ago)

Wait.. There are Buffalo up around there?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, they had a competition with hunky dorys a few years back to win one of them.
    a slight caveat was that you had to have somewhere to actually put it in order to win it.

• Advertisement

Wait.. There are Buffalo up around there?
    There are.
    They let them grow for a few years and then finely slice them to make Buffalo Crisps

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

yep, they had a competition with hunky dorys a few years back to win one of them.
    a slight caveat was that you had to have somewhere to actually put it in order to win it.

sounds like the Simpsons episode where Bart wins an elephant on a radio phone-in :)

Went for a spin out past the Naul, decided not to spare the horses. Amazing the way you can push that much harder and only add a km or two to your average speed. 51km, 510m climbing, 29km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

Up by merry plough man , up cruagh to viewing point and over to Glencree turn off, back as far as far turn heading towards water works but brings you down by church and cemetery and back onto Tallaght bypass, wanted a bit more so up to crooksling and back , then home.
    Just over 50k, avg 24.5 kph & 750 meters climbing. Lovely evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,766 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Out after work for a tempo session, full Summer gear on in a glorious day. Took the KOM on the loop i use for these sessions so well chuffed.

Heading home on the N76 i was nearly involved in a head collision between two trucks, one passing me close by and said my prayers as if he clipped the incoming truck the trailer would have wiped me out, scary stuff.

55km at a 35.1km/h avg and a decent KOM in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

dahat wrote: »
    ...55km at a 35.1km/h avg....
    :eek:

:eek:

It was a bit windy but for one section or maybe I'm just really fast!!!! 🀣

dahat wrote: »
    It was a bit windy but for one section or maybe I'm just really fast!!!! 🀣
    Nothing to do with you being on an e-bike? :)

Nothing to do with you being on an e-bike? :)

Rumbled..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Did an hour on the turbo, first time sitting on the bike since coming off during the Orwell Randonee. I have a fair bit of damage done to my left shoulder and have the arm in a sling for another couple of weeks but I just needed to start somewhere, as much for the head as the body. Spun fairly steady, got the heart rate up, lost a bit of sweat. I've a good bit to go yet but I felt better being able to do that much. Onwards and upwards......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement