Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Grandson had a sleepover last night and decided 6.15am is an acceptable hour to wake up Nannie and GaGa. So at 7am I decided it's time for a cycle. Geared up and headed out after a bowl of porridge with a banana mixed in. 1st ever pre work cycle. Lovely morning, cool starting off, but soon warmed up. just shy of 28k @ 26.4kph. Grand smell of freshly cut grass with a lingering aroma of slurry. Felt great after, so I had poached eggs and toast for my second breakfast:-) Headed off around 7.30 and back by 8.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,766 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Steady stuff, I was advised to keep hr low while the body was still healing when I wrecked my shoulder. Z1 /Z2 stuff for max 60mins, you may notice the hr being higher than normal for these zones due to the injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Did an hour on the turbo, first time sitting on the bike since coming off during the Orwell Randonee. I have a fair bit of damage done to my left shoulder and have the arm in a sling for another couple of weeks but I just needed to start somewhere, as much for the head as the body. Spun fairly steady, got the heart rate up, lost a bit of sweat. I've a good bit to go yet but I felt better being able to do that much. Onwards and upwards......

Awesome, great to get back in the saddle. Hopefully the arm will heal shortly. How did the bike fare?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Ya, heart rate was definitely up a bit. I kept it fairly tame but did a few 60 seconds efforts up above threshold just to see. Hr flew up and took a while come back down.
    Bike got a fairly similar dose to myself, rear wheel fkkd and a bent RD hangar but the frame is ok :D
    I had a spare hangar and my old wheels are still fine so got it sorted handy enough.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Ya, heart rate was definitely up a bit. I kept it fairly tame but did a few 60 seconds efforts up above threshold just to see. Hr flew up and took a while come back down.
    Bike got a fairly similar dose to myself, rear wheel fkkd and a bent RD hangar but the frame is ok :D
    I had a spare hangar and my old wheels are still fine so got it sorted handy enough.

Good to hear the frame is ok, bones heal, carbon doesn't! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

Grandson had a sleepover last night and decided 6.15am is an acceptable hour to wake up Nannie and GaGa. So at 7am I decided it's time for a cycle. Geared up and headed out after a bowl of porridge with a banana mixed in. 1st ever pre work cycle. Lovely morning, cool starting off, but soon warmed up. just shy of 28k @ 26.4kph. Grand smell of freshly cut grass with a lingering aroma of slurry. Felt great after, so I had poached eggs and toast for my second breakfast:-) Headed off around 7.30 and back by 8.30.

Well done GaGa :)

Drove to a League race and now I'm contemplating going straight home!!! Not got the vibes for a gallop tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

78km around NCD this morning, slightly curtailed due to Walshestown Rd closure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

dahat wrote: »
    Drove to a League race and now I'm contemplating going straight home!!! Not got the vibes for a gallop tonight.

Did you give it a miss or give it a go?

marvin80 wrote: »
    Did you give it a miss or give it a go?

Gave it a go and got a 3rd place from a handy sized filed. I actually enjoyed it once I completed the warm up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

dahat wrote: »
    Gave it a go and got a 3rd place from a handy sized filed. I actually enjoyed it once I completed the warm up.

Nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

cycled from Birdhill tipp to Scarrif Clare, 50km round trip....(the hill in ogonnelloe is a killer) thighs are still stinging!

D8 to Athy and back to Kildare town. Ran out of time, we needed to be back in Dub for 4.30 so had to jump on a train. Still 100k done on new roads

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Ring of Beara - I'm bollocksed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Beara tour mainly solo, fupped. 25 avg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Beara myself....

Is it me or is there a hell of a lot of food stops on beara ...

Well run sportif. My 3rd year doing it

1st 110km
    2nd /3rd 140km

Would love to stay in kenmare one year after cycle, the place was buzzing

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Leixlip > city centre > Sutton X > Malahide > Swords > Ashbourne > Rathoath > Dunboyne > Leixlip
    There was a fair breeze in my face most of the time which is why I eventually cut it short.
    83km @ 28.3 km/h (293m elev gain)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Sandymount-Enniskerry-Roundwood-around the reservoir and back. 80km 1100mtrs elevation. nice morning for it, a spit of rain early on, not too warm.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Left at 6.30 this morning, wind, rain, drizzle, sunshine, over dressed, under dressed, sweaty mess and a big old bonk 10km from home.... Good spin though!!!!

154km @ 30.2 avg, all solo... Zzzzzzzzzzzz.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

Yesterday: solo out to poulaphuca , around to lake drive, lacken, and back via manor Kilbride and home. 70km avg 28.8 kph 650 meters

Today: out with club, Gorey, Arklow, woodenbridge, Aughrim, Carnew, Gorey
    70 km avg 30kph, 500 meters
    Although in a group, was on front for guts of spin, a slog when headwind but great on way back, went solo for last 5 km to get 30kph :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Went for what was essentially a post-dinner 20km TT at 38kph.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2399792455

I had a tremendous tail-wind and on one particular stretch of road the cycling path merges with a cobbled footpath. During the week I use the path when there's traffic just to avoid aggro. On Sunday night, however, there was hardly a car about so I stayed on the road (there's also a strava segment I wanted to go for - I got 4th; 4 seconds off the fastest time but I got a bit distracted during my effort...)

I was on my limit when I could feel a car come up behind me but it was matching my speed. The visibility ahead was clear for several hundred meters and there was no other traffic. I knew immediately I was in for some kind of punishment pass. However, it wasn't just a punishment pass. He actually started driving alongside me. I was 20cm from the kerb and 20cm from the car. He began smirking and shaking his head. I have to admit, when he made it clear he was trying to intimidate me, I gave him the finger. After about 10 seconds of this he drove on.

Thereafter came several traffic lights and I caught him at every single junction. At the last junction before we separated I started clapping at him, meaning 'you endangered me for nothing. We made the same progress. I wasn't hindering your journey'. He blows a fuse, rolls down the window and starts screaming across his child's face (yes, the car was full of his offspring - I do regret this). He started braking as if he's about to stop but the traffic behind start blasting their horns at him so he's forced to move on. I continued clapping until he was out of sight.

On one hand, knowingly or not, he put my safety at risk. On the other hand, I shouldn't have reacted and given him the finger. He'll be mad for the rest of the night and his kids will probably suffer for it, or more likely the next cyclist he meets.

At least I beat all my PBs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Beara myself....

Is it me or is there a hell of a lot of food stops on beara ...

Well run sportif. My 3rd year doing it

1st 110km
    2nd /3rd 140km

Would love to stay in kenmare one year after cycle, the place was buzzing

Yep.. thinking same. Too much temptation! I did it too and did enjoy it.. the amount of stops is fantastic but does break momentum if the temptation get's better of you. Was going to book the Wicklow 200 but Ring of Beara puts it to shame on the food front.

If I was to do it again then would think ahead more and plan only maybe 1 x food/social stop and perhaps another water refill stop.

Overall a great event and weather was kind.

Had a bit of a skittery moment this evening on the way home from a short spin. There was some light rain if you could even call it that but was enough for me to nearly lose the bike crossing some cables on the road they had put down for traffic counting :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Saturdays Cycle was the longest I've ever done. 224km from home to Galway as part of a charity event. Pace was a little frustratingly slow at times but it was great to see it being so inclusive and interesting to be part of 180odd strong peleton being marshalled the whole way.

Enjoyed a few pints that evening alright.

Had a bit of a skittery moment this evening on the way home from a short spin. There was some light rain if you could even call it that but was enough for me to nearly lose the bike crossing some cables on the road they had put down for traffic counting :o

There was a pile of gravel at the entrance to my work carpark, I nearly went this morning, I wasn't expecting it at all, with about as much grace as an overweight Labrador I managed to stay up. Going out with a sweeping brush at lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Did the Yeats Country GP after having been at a wedding on the Friday and Saturday. Not the ideal preparation, let me tell you!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 onthesod

Beara on Sat.. Legs sunburned though I didn't think it was that sunny. Lovely spin, thoroughly enjoyed it. Handy pace, had a newbie with us so 23.7kph for the 110. We stopped too often at the food stops but tbf, they kinda kept the newbie going. I'd say he slept sound Sat night. Very well run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Hasn't been a good year for me so far, was away most of Jan, then picked up a chest infection start of Feb which took 6 weeks to clear, only to then injure my hamstring at the end of march. Only 441km clocked so far this year but got out this evening and managed to do 20km, 27.6km/h avg, with no pain in my hamstring. Not the longest spin but I'm happy with it, fitness is not what it was but have to start back somewhere. Still, my target of 7000km seems a long way away.

Had a funny encounter with a motorist. In a queue of traffic coming down into celbridge village and was told to get into the cycle lane, this one here, when I was pretty much exactly where the white van in the picture is, so would have been in the cycle lane for a grand total of 5m or so. I just laughed and carried on my way, some people just have no awareness of the road ahead at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

out to howth this evening, did three reps. windy, but i think that took some of the effect of the humidity away. the cycle out to howth from fairview was a little more enjoyable than the cycle back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

Longest cycle to date - 116km 600m @ 28 avg, solo - Castleknock - Maynooth - Enfield and came home by Dunboyne and into Phoenix Park for a warmdown. Fairly delighted with the time/speed, had a headwind going out and coming back which made it feel like a bit of a slog but was pleasantly surprised when I looked at the phone after

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement