Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

dublin - Enniskerry - Sallygap via Roundwood - Glencree - home. weather was showery from enniskerry but dried up after Roundwood . had my first blowout coming down near glencree, i had just had the tyres replaced with Schwalbes, felt a wobble and thought the wheel was loose so was slowing down, then a very audible "pop". would heat from the breaks have caused it? maybe the guy in the shop had the pressure a bit on the high side?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Depends on the failure mechanism. Could be seated poorly, could be wall failure due to defect, of a mis aligned pad wearing a hole in the wall. Have a look at the remnants.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i took a picture before i changed it. the tyre was fine just the inner tube

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Nice 90k around Waterford this morning - out the coast road, ascent of Mahon Falls then back in to Waterford City via the Greenway. Almost 900m of climbing. Mix of sun, rain and strong winds meant I never felt at the right temperature and terrible road surfaces but a fantastic day out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

Across to ballyedmund, boolavogue, The harrow, Ferns, a little loop around back of Ferns, Camolin ,Gorey, down to Courtown, coast road back to Ballygarrett, Killenagh and home.
    60 km, just under 500m, 29.5 kph avg. Just two of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭positron

I have been thinking about taking the kids on the main road to cross Drogheda to get to the Boyne river walk, and we tried it this morning. Well, won't be trying that again.

Kids are fine on the bikes - 8 and 6, they have been cycling without stablizers since two years old, slows down if they are unsure of what to do, or if they come up to driveways opening to the road etc, generally not dare devils and fairly okay to follow instructions. Problem though is, as always, the road layout and traffic. Everything was fine within the estate, couple of cars overtook us giving us plenty of room. Soon we came to the entrance of the estate and there are of course two lanes and we are turning right. Kids are fine to stay on the left of the right turning lane, but cars overtaking on the left lane fairly close to them was worrying. Then waiting for an opportunity to get onto Dublin road crossing a lane and turning right.. holding up cars behind us, but that was nothing compared to the main road. If you know the Dublin road, it is narrow and they traffic lights at junction with Bryanstown. We are again on the left third of the right lane and at least one car beeped at us trying to turn left on the left lane, obviously the driver didn't feel comfortable turning so close to a small child on the bike, fair enough, but couldn't wait the 10 seconds that it takes for the full green, giving me "the look" and "the sigh". Further down, road narrows even further and I was riding behind covering the girls and forcing traffic from coming too close, and to be fair most vehicles gave us plenty of room, but with leaves, branches, grates, beer bottles and all sort of random rubbish on the side of the road, it was pretty hard to get the kids to avoid them all and yet stay away from traffic. Near Scotch hall, I got them back on the footpath, my heart was pumping Z5 by then, just couldn't take that any more. We eventually got onto river walk, but no way I will take them on the road again - not with this level of traffic and road condition, and Saturday morning was quieter than the norm.

Boyne river walk / canal path was class as usual, plenty of things to keep kids amused, mixture of surfaces, safe, scenic and cakes at the far end. Asked for mocha at Brambles and got hot chocolate. Oh well, weather was good, and got loads of quality time with kids, that's the main thing.

Yeah not an easy stretch with kids even if you took the footpath the whole way that runs out on the left as you come to the railway bridge and so many driveways with wall high enough to hide kids. You'd have to cross over and back a few times.

Park at the Abbey car park but loading 2 kids and 3 bikes into the car to drive 2-3 km??? Sounds like a pain in the you know what.

It is nice to ride along the river there tough especially between the park and just before you rejoin the road all you can hear is the water if the tide is in and the bike.

EDIT : One I took last time I was down that way

5kiLJ59.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

My wife is very new to cycling, and for the most part she's only been out with me just to get her going. We decided to do Portmarnock to Fairview this afternoon, and the weather was fine enough, if a bit windy for a beginner. I was taking the lead due to the wind, and we were single file. But we got shouted at called c*nts by a dad with his own kids in the car, and something I couldn't make out by a mother with kids in the car also.

I wasn't shook, this is something that can happen multiple times a week for me. But she was totally shook, angry, frustrated, maybe close to tears. Here we are, not 15 minutes from the house been shouted at by strangers for simply going for a cycle and trying to start the long weekend off on the right foot. I almost don't know what to feel now, like what do I do here? The rest of the cycle was enjoyable I think, but I reckon my wife was mostly putting a brave face on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,616 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

My wife is very new to cycling, and for the most part she's only been out with me just to get her going. We decided to do Portmarnock to Fairview this afternoon, and the weather was fine enough, if a bit windy for a beginner. I was taking the lead due to the wind, and we were single file. But we got shouted at called c*nts by a dad with his own kids in the car, and something I couldn't make out by a mother with kids in the car also.

I wasn't shook, this is something that can happen multiple times a week for me. But she was totally shook, angry, frustrated, maybe close to tears. Here we are, not 15 minutes from the house been shouted at by strangers for simply going for a cycle and trying to start the long weekend off on the right foot. I almost don't know what to feel now, like what do I do here? The rest of the cycle was enjoyable I think, but I reckon my wife was mostly putting a brave face on it.

Would you try to get her to go out tomorrow for a short spin. Just incase she was putting a brave face on it, the longer she leaves it, the memory of this might fester.

Sunday morning of a bank holiday might be one of the quietest times on the road to try it even though that is no guarantee you won't meet a bad one.

I got nothing for ya. I mean what was the problem? You were slowing them down getting their little darlings to a match or something or other. I assume and I've seen your route from your videos you've posted from time to time you had the cheek to be maybe taking the lane although single file with on coming traffic in play and stopping these good folk from getting where they need to be seconds sooner :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

..It is nice to ride along the river there tough especially between the park and just before you rejoin the road all you can hear is the water if the tide is in and the bike...
    The one time I cycled along there I got a few dirty looks even though I slowed right down when encountering pedestrians. I discovered afterwards that cycling isn't permitted along there.

Alanstrainor, so sorry to hear that. Absolutely no excuse for that type of disgusting behavior from road users towards cyclists. Yet, every time cycling is mentioned it often ends up as an 'us vs them' type thing and I still can't forgive George Hook for starting it or at least 'normalising' it - what a moron.

It is nice to ride along the river there tough especially between the park and just before you rejoin the road all you can hear is the water if the tide is in and the bike.

EDIT : One I took last time I was down that way

5kiLJ59.jpg

Absolutely, it's really the best thing to have happened to Drogheda in last 10-15 years. There's isn't even a second playground in a town of 30,000 people but this is a great asset, especially when the weather is great.

Same spot on a brighter day:

Q0f6CxF.jpg

The one time I cycled along there I got a few dirty looks even though I slowed right down when encountering pedestrians. I discovered afterwards that cycling isn't permitted along there.

That can't be right, cycling is definitely allowed there.

https://www.drogheda.ie/explore-and-do/do/tours-and-trails/boyne-greenway.html

"The walking and cycling facility utilises sections of boardwalk to create a riverside resource connecting Drogheda’s town centre to the Oldbridge Estate, via the existing ramparts. "

I've something in the back of my mind there, at the top of the ramp opposite the Abbey shopping centre that takes you down to the park under the bridge there is definitely a sign with a walker and a bike on it but here is where my memory gets a bit fuzzy, I think on a sign half way down through the park section it actually says no cycling under the rules of the park or something. I must check that next time I'm down.

I've never had an issue, just cautious of approaching folks from behind who may be wearing head phones and might get startled even if I pass at a crawl. I rarely meet anyone early in the morning though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I thought cycling was allowed too but someone in my club said it wasn't and I definitely saw no cycling signs at a later date (but can't recall now where they were).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I went out for a solo spin this morning: Leixlip > Rathoath > Slane > Newgrange > Drogheda > Duleek > Rathoath > Leixlip
    110km @ 27km/h with ~650m
    Lovely sunshine but a strong headwind most of the way. Took it easier than usual as I didn’t want to anger my dodgy left knee.

Was close passed as I was heading south past Fairyhouse. There was a stationary queue of traffic on northern side of road so I decided to take the lane as I felt it wasn’t safe for traffic to pass me (doing 30-35km/h). A short while along a silver car behind me blasted their horn to inform me that I’m causing them an inconvenience. I ignored them. And again (and I, being annoyed, wrongly gave the finger).
    They then attempted the overtake leaving less than a foot between us. I screamed something about space. Driving alongside me, they rolled down their passenger window, leaned over towards me, shouted some kind of abuse at me (which I couldn’t hear with the wind) and then spat out the window allowing the wind to catch it and land on me. They then drove off.
    I was fuming.
    Recited their reg number and soon after pulled over and took out my phone to write the number down.
    Between crap light and sweaty fingers it seems that I messed up the number and now can’t remember it. My plan was to report him for dangerous driving and assault.
    Still karma will get the prick!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

up into the mountains today, was very blustery up there. 80km, 23.5km/h, 1050m climbing; didn't get to enjoy some of the the downhills as much as i should have, i ended up picking some roads that were of the 'just because they're on the map...' type.

only issue was nearly being taken out of it by a sulky in ballyfermot on the way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Went for a spin into the Netherlands today.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2417015799

The standard of the cycling infrastructure was outstanding. Quality cycle lanes, roundabouts with a segregated cycle lane, traffic lights set to give cyclists a head start, cycle lanes wider than roads, cycling bridges over motorways and the list goes on. I've seen it all online but experiencing it really was fantastic. It's obvious that cycling infrastructure is a priority and not an afterthought. There were lots of parents with a child's seat on the top tube and a plastic windscreen. One mother had 2 kids on her bike, not a bother. Paradise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

78km, from valleymount over to laragh, onto roundwood, turned back to stop for something to eat in the Dome, after seeing it mentioned on here recently. Lovely relaxing spot, very cyclist friendly and a very pleasant woman running the place. They don't do meat so if you are looking for a meat sambo youre out of luck, but they do veggie sambos, soup, and I had a nice piece of carrot cake and a really good cappuccino. Will deffo go back and would recommend it.
    From there I went roundwood way, up luggala and home via sally gap, Manor Kilbride. 26.3kmph avg, got some good times on the climbs which is nice cos I ain't feeling great at all recently. Have no heart or head for anything beyond 3 hours really. Had a lovely can of 7up at the top of luggala and a nice chat with a fellow cyclist, it's that aspect of it that I enjoy now more than anything.
    Weather was nice today, windy at times, but more of a sidewind going the direction I went, avoided the worst of the headwind thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

100km in the Tipp Wheelers sportive, 29avg pretty windy but nice spin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Went from D8 to Burrow Road, across to Enniskerry, back up to Roundwood and over the Gap and home via Featherbeds and View Point. Cracking day but the cross winds at Featherbeds was rough. Gave a guy in a green boards jersey a hello near Foxs

90kms all in with 1400metres

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what time was that at? i passed someone on a look somewhere between the viewing point and glencree.

going over the gap from that direction muct have been a slog, given the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

what time was that at? i passed someone on a look somewhere between the viewing point and glencree.

going over the gap from that direction muct have been a slog, given the wind.

Would have been there at around 3. I was in a red long sleeved jersey.

It's a wicked slog going that way alright, but I want to get more weight off me belly so need to keep going up

would have been about 1pm i saw that chap, so not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

Did the "regular route" up around Howth, no worries, even though it's been a while since I was out on a bike. Just a quick shakedown of the new Fondriest build, so there were a few stops to tighten the bars and seatpost.

But the way home along the seafront was harder than climbing. WIND. At least the bike felt great, climbs really well and is smooth as butter. Would be great for a long sportive.

is there any way on strava with flybys to limit it to tell you about flybys from certain groups?
    i.e. i'd be curious about other boardsies i might have passed on the road; i was behind one for a short distance yesterday, but really only know that because his strava username is also used on boards. would be handy if there was a 'show me flybys for the boards group' option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

2nd puncture in 2 days!! Changed the tube and was about to refit the wheel when I heard air escaping. 2nd tube in and on my way. It was actually a decent distraction from the awful headwind

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Blowy enough out there. Was coming down the Black Glen road over the motorway bridge and saw the cyclist ahead of me suddenly shift left by a couple of feet as they caught a heavy gust. Been doing very little cycling this year so hoping to get 500k in over June to get back into the swing of things. Out for seven of the last eight days, albeit short enough spins of 20k-32k so planning to keep it up and throw in a few longer ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

W200 training on Saturday morning, short hill spin today. Doing 'aight. But clubmates did the Eoin McLove 600 yesterday so did I really even cycle at all? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Yes you did cycle, it's all relative. I also rode the Eoin McLove over the weekend. I can recommend Cavan hay barns for a couple of hours nap. The block headwind from Ballybay to Bailieborough was horrible.

https://strava.app.link/roG3UA10dX

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement