Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Giants Causeway 126km yesterday, I have seen enough hills to last me a lifetime. The only flat sections were the crests and troughs. Torr Head got the better of me and I ended up turning around and taking the easy way. My legs just screamed that they had done enough and would do no more. Easy way my ass, more hills, I should have just carried on and walked some of the way up.

Some lovely roads and a smashing day though. You could fly down the descents with the smooth roads and long corners. I averaged 24.2 which I am very happy with. That was the toughest sportive I've done. 1984 metres of climbing in 126km so it's still less than last weeks Reservoir Dog per km (which I didn't do). A useful goodie box at the end too, CRC water bottle, park tools pedal wrench or x-tools steel core tyre levers, CRC socks, CRC discount vouchers (only for in-store, boooooo)

As a recovery spin I did the 100km great dublin bike ride today. Flew to Ballyboughal, stopped a bit too long which was more the queue for the toilets than the food. Was happy enough on the hills, then my back which was bothering me yesterday decided to act up again. 2 stops before the sports campus and a brief stop there to stretch and then I made good time back to smithfield.

Great organisation, even though the roads were only closed to halfway between 3Arena and Alfie Byrne road I only had to stop at one set of traffic lights. Gardai and stewards kept waving us through the reds. One very unhappy motorist in Malahide giving out to the Gardai about it. Loads of people on the roads cheering us on.

Got a few PR's and 2nd's, I would have been happy to get around at 20kmph after yesterday so happy with 26.2 which is my norm for sportives.

The beer is in the fridge and the takeaway will be ordered.

https://www.strava.com/activities/707649825

https://www.strava.com/activities/708710687

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

brianomc wrote: »
    Giants Causeway 126km yesterday, I have seen enough hills to last me a lifetime. The only flat sections were the crests and troughs. Torr Head got the better of me and I ended up turning around and taking the easy way. My legs just screamed that they had done enough and would do no more. Easy way my ass, more hills, I should have just carried on and walked some of the way up.

Some lovely roads and a smashing day though. You could fly down the descents with the smooth roads and long corners. I averaged 24.2 which I am very happy with. That was the toughest sportive I've done. 1984 metres of climbing in 126km so it's still less than last weeks Reservoir Dog per km (which I didn't do). A useful goodie box at the end too, CRC water bottle, park tools pedal wrench or x-tools steel core tyre levers, CRC socks, CRC discount vouchers (only for in-store, boooooo)

As a recovery spin I did the 100km great dublin bike ride today. Flew to Ballyboughal, stopped a bit too long which was more the queue for the toilets than the food. Was happy enough on the hills, then my back which was bothering me yesterday decided to act up again. 2 stops before the sports campus and a brief stop there to stretch and then I made good time back to smithfield.

Great organisation, even though the roads were only closed to halfway between 3Arena and Alfie Byrne road I only had to stop at one set of traffic lights. Gardai and stewards kept waving us through the reds. One very unhappy motorist in Malahide giving out to the Gardai about it. Loads of people on the roads cheering us on.

Got a few PR's and 2nd's, I would have been happy to get around at 20kmph after yesterday so happy with 26.2 which is my norm for sportives.

The beer is in the fridge and the takeaway will be ordered.

https://www.strava.com/activities/707649825

https://www.strava.com/activities/708387663

It was quite hilarious seeing her rage spinning by her alright. Strangely she was the only motorist I encountered not having a nice day. Nabbed a fair few PBs myself too and Snowton didn't feel too painful.

https://www.strava.com/activities/708344287

Beaut of a day for it too which only helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

I did the GDBR too. Loved it, but my god, that wind...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Absolutely broken up today after a gruelling Hell And Back yesterday. We did it as a group of 15 which turns out makes it much harder as you're helpingand watching out for more people.

Anyway, just cycled to the takeaway this evening but went the long way to just try ease the pain and stiffness in my legs.... Went a bit too hard and managed to collect a KOM :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Tor head........ on the causeway cycle it's only a few km at the end of 126 km or 186 km but oh my holy jeebus ive never seen or cycled the likes of it before !!
    A wall ! A great big long and very high wall.
    Great turnout with big groups from the likes of Orwell, White river Wheelers, Ardee, Castleknock , Blayney to name a few of the cross border raiders...
    Did I mention Tor head...the pain was real !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

TCauseway Sportive 182 km... took it relatively easy as knew Torr head was coming up at the end.

Very glad to say I made it up without having to stop, tough route, think it was ~8800 ft of climbing which is more than enough on any day.

Torr head really is a brutal beast, first bit is seriously steep then the second longer one, although not as sharp, is much longer. Tough any day, tougher after 100 miles.

Man the views up that coast are superb, even had most beautiful weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

moonshadow wrote: »
    Tor head........ on the causeway cycle it's only a few km at the end of 126 km or 186 km but oh my holy jeebus ive never seen or cycled the likes of it before !!
    Great turnout with big groups from the likes of Orwell, White river Wheelers, Ardee, Castleknock , Blayney to name a few of the cross border raiders...
    So how does Torr measure up to some of the other climbs in the south, A few guys said it was a lot tougher than Mamore for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

after all the impressive distances cycled above, mine was a much shorter spin on the old rail trail / greenway out from athlone on saturday. hit out on the cx bike with my 6 month old in the baby trailer attached to the back and my dad cycling alongside for his first spin of the year. made it pretty much as far as moate before turning around and heading back as spuckler junior was asleep and were trying to time our return home to suit his waking up.

having only cycled that greenway once last september when i joined at mullingar on my way down from dublin one weekend, i had forgotten what a brilliant amenity it is. at the athlone end it starts beside a supermarket / coffee shop which has outdoor seating, bike stands, bike hire and plenty of specific parking set aside for people using the greenway. it's well worth a look if visiting the area!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Absolutely broken up today after a gruelling Hell And Back yesterday. We did it as a group of 15 which turns out makes it much harder as you're helpingand watching out for more people.

Anyway, just cycled to the takeaway this evening but went the long way to just try ease the pain and stiffness in my legs.... Went a bit too hard and managed to collect a KOM :o

Clearly Hell and Back wasnt that hard! My wife did it and is still alive. She went drinking after and left the car in Bray. Great excuse to collect ii via Roundwood.

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    Clearly Hell and Back wasnt that hard! My wife did it and is still alive. She went drinking after and left the car in Bray. Great excuse to collect ii via Roundwood.

There's 15 people in my office who beg to differ! It's really only as tough as you make it though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

moonshadow wrote: »

*stuffs fingers in ears...*

LA LA LA LA LA LA! I can't hear you!!!

I have to cycle over Tor head in three weeks time...

Antrim 300

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

There's 15 people in my office who beg to differ! It's really only as tough as you make it though

I was more referring to your KOM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

hit out on the cx bike with my 6 month old in the baby trailer attached to the back and my dad cycling alongside for his first spin of the year. made it pretty much as far as moate before turning around and heading back as spuckler junior was asleep and were trying to time our return home to suit his waking up.

Reminds me of happy days with a hot little head resting on my lower back as I cycled through town!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Absolutely broken up today after a gruelling Hell And Back yesterday

Did it earlier in the year, herself thought it would be a fun 50th birthday present for, and that it was as I made sure she did it with me :)

Usual spin up to Foxes at lunch, a bit cooler than it has been but good to clear the head after a boozey weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Almost 50K around NCD with 600m vertical. Followed a route a mate told me he does. I knew the roads but some were new as they were done in reverse. Had a few close passes with cars and one dog gave chase for quite a bit longer than I thought he would. I almost had the bottle out to give him a dousing. Bright morning and happy with the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Finding 600m vertical in 50k is good going in NCD. Nag's Head, Snowtown, Ardcath?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Garristown from Ratoath, Ardcath, Cromwells bush, Snowtown and home via Springhill and Curragha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

I see lots of people going back to enjoy the GDBR 100km route.

I am planning to doing the same myself ..loved those descents:D , but maybe not going as fast given the roads would be fully open to traffic.

I would also like so see how much a factor that bloody WIND was on the return leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Luxman wrote: »
    Garristown from Ratoath, Ardcath, Cromwells bush, Snowtown and home via Springhill and Curragha

Cromwell's Bush says you. I must check it out!

• Advertisement

Decided to add in Irishtown Park and Poolbeg Lighthouse on the commute home. Bloody hell the Bull Wall is rough on a cheap rigid MTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

P_1 wrote: »
    ... Bloody hell the Bull Wall is rough on a cheap rigid MTB.
    Just as rough on an expensive road bike!

Just as rough on an expensive road bike!

You're a braver man than I so. Went down that way yesterday with the road bike, tried a bit of the surface and a swift u-turn was done!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

140kms across the Sally Gap, shrouded in mist, to Laragh -> Rathdrum -> Redcross -> Avoca -> Brittas Bay -> Rathnew -> Etc...

Got overtaken by a classic and sports car run going over the gap which was pretty cool. Triumphs, Porsches, Ferraris, Morris Minors..

Currently having trouble uploading the file to Strava so not sure if it actually happened or was it all a dream?

Some aul lad on the canal took exception to being overtaken by me, I caught up to him on Davitt Road and when I went to pass he put the hammer down and tried to squeeze me out. Anyway I pressed on and got by, he then tore across the Luas line at Suir Bridge, breaking the red and making a Luas blow it's horn. I went on green and duly caught up again and as I went to overtake he again put the hammer down. He's probably in work now with aches in his legs from his arseholery. Other than that my usual commute was grand, I was expecting it to be nuts given the bus strike and good weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Some aul lad on the canal took exception to being overtaken by me, I caught up to him on Davitt Road and when I went to pass he put the hammer down and tried to squeeze me out. Anyway I pressed on and got by, he then tore across the Luas line at Suir Bridge, breaking the red and making a Luas blow it's horn. I went on green and duly caught up again and as I went to overtake he again put the hammer down. He's probably in work now with aches in his legs from his arseholery. Other than that my usual commute was grand, I was expecting it to be nuts given the bus strike and good weather

Probably a bus strike cyclist who will now tell everyone how awfully effortful it is to cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Took a whole 2 minutes extra today to get to work. With so many cars and walkers out today, I made a mental note to be extra careful.

I've never seen such a range of knackered cyclists / bikes, bloody hilarious stuff, but hopefully some of them will give cycling a go. The first day is always the worst. :D

Miklos wrote: »
    140kms across the Sally Gap, shrouded in mist, to Laragh -> Rathdrum -> Redcross -> Avoca -> Brittas Bay -> Rathnew -> Etc...

Got overtaken by a classic and sports car run going over the gap which was pretty cool. Triumphs, Porsches, Ferraris, Morris Minors..

Currently having trouble uploading the file to Strava so not sure if it actually happened or was it all a dream?

Nice route. Just out of interest what amount of food did you consume along the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Took a whole 2 minutes extra today to get to work. With so many cars and walkers out today, I made a mental note to be extra careful.

I've never seen such a range of knackered cyclists / bikes, bloody hilarious stuff, but hopefully some of them will give cycling a go. The first day is always the worst. :D

Took 2 minutes less, clear bus lanes on the N11 all the way into Stephens Green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Can't say I noticed much different this morning on my commute from Killiney to Fairview. I did just miss rush hour, so we'll see how I fair on the return journey at 5.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement