Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

cold for this time of the year, didn't heat up , hands were cold all the way

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Hail stones heading up to Sorrell hill from Lacken this evening drenched to the skin in a “light shower!”...bitter cold returning home...is it January?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Well that commute into the city centre this morning was lovely, makes such a difference having a bit of sun

• Registered Users Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

dublin-roundwood-laragh-sallygap-kilbride-back to dublin 98km . i must not have done that road from laragh to sallygap before lovely quiet stretch , only 4 or 5 cars for the bones of an hour. harsh westerly , coming off sallygap felt like going uphill, nice quiet road going around the firing range then hit an incline where my brain said nooope so walked a bit. got back home grand, hadnt eaten anything so nice to get home for lunch with a 3to4 K calorie deficit to start the weekend.....

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

Naas - Carlow - Naas, 102kms, 3:28, 29.2kph, wind blowing from every direction, but relatively warm and no rain,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

@Silverharp. Thatd be the military road and brings you by Glenmacnass. Some of my favourite stretch too.

Anyway, Santry to Naul and back via one or 2 detours for 73 km at 28.4 kmph.

Nicked another boardsies KoM , likely thanks to wind and no traffic coming against me.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2432777433

I passed a Swords group going the other other way near Old town. Young lad in a car behind them was staring at his phone while driving. Just hoping he copped on before overtaking. Met another club which I didn't recognise too near St Margarets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

One of those Google cars was going around the Wicklow mountains today. Saw it in a couple of different places. Must keep a look out when they update Street View!:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weepsie wrote: »
    Nicked another boardsies KoM , likely thanks to wind and no traffic coming against me.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2432777433
    the top 5 on that segment are all boardsies (four of them i know are active boardsies, not sure if the fifth is). it's the little battleground for northside/NCD boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I tried out a few second hand bikes, I know that their condition is good but is there a good buyers guide on buying bikes? height? gears?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

Did the Jack &Jill sportive in Gorey this morning, well did 60 ish km of official course, missed a turn and ended up on main road for sbout 5 km, wasn't arsed with back tracking so improvised, ended up with 102 km Avg 30 kph on the nose. 50 km in a group and 50 ish solo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

75km around NCD this morning; nice morning for it bar the five minute heavy shower at one point.
    i crossed the path of a charity cycle near ballyboughal twice, most notably when i was on the downhill from the nag's head towards the five roads; about halfway down there's a junction with a minor road (i had priority). however, there were marshals at the junction, so i naturally slowed; one clearly looked in my direction as i approached but made no signal to me, so i kept going - and nearly* clattered into two cyclists crossing, part of the charity cycle. there was a much larger bunch just behind them.
    *slight exaggeration, but there was a 'whoah, what?' moment of heavy braking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Did the Croi Tour de Lough Corrib this morning, wet early but cleared up grand... 113km @ 29.9 avg

https://www.strava.com/activities/2435870419

the top 5 on that segment are all boardsies (four of them i know are active boardsies, not sure if the fifth is). it's the little battleground for northside/NCD boards.

I don't quite enjoy how it ends right at the junction. Should really end a bit before there.

Anyway, just the 65 km 29kmph today. Visited the folks for lunch, took a slightly different route and enjoyed some roads I've never been on before. Went over a cat's eye just outside dunboyne/clonee and knew immediately it would puncture. Quick change, and got to folks before the rain. Legged it back after a feed, should've stayed out for another hour though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I don't quite enjoy how it ends right at the junction. Should really end a bit before there.

Apologies! I thought I had left a bit of an overrun at the end when I set it up but I think it's only about 10m. If I edit it, It will either become a new segment or delete all the history AFAIK.

Apologies! I thought I had left a bit of an overrun at the end when I set it up but I think it's only about 10m. If I edit it, It will either become a new segment or delete all the history AFAIK.

Maybe it's just the zoomed out map. Either way, tis my only one

my only other KOM was taken from me only a week or two ago; it's only a couple of km away:
    https://www.strava.com/segments/11674276

i created a glebe road west, because i know mcnally use it - in the opposite direction - in their midweek races. will have to try a little harder for the KOM there, as you might imagine, there's a quite different showing of the spread of times compared to the eastbound segment

https://www.strava.com/segments/20827931

it'll rebuild the history - if you create a segment, strava pulls in all activities which have been on that segment from before it was created; it can take a few hours, but doesn't just start recording times on the segment from after it was created.

Maybe it's just the zoomed out map. Either way, tis my only one

This is it exactly and the fact my Garmin seems to make me think every segment finishes further then they do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

80km of a lumpy spin, 26 avg felt like a 30+avg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Dave on a bike

70km around the Wicklow mountains this morning with almost 1,000m of climbing including Shay Elliot the easy way. Stunning morning for it!

Had forgotten the Wicklow 200 was on until I joined them for a little while at Annamoe. Didn't envy them this afternoon when the heavens opened!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

Ferocious hangover and got 90km done. Was getting sunburnt at 10am and could see my breath 30mins later. Soaked by showers. No regrets

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Some lad called Galen did an 85K version of the W100 today on a handbike :eek:

We passed him on the road. Fair effing play lad.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2437378180

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Just building my fitness up again after a long 8 month lay off due to leg and shoulder injuries following a bad fall. For the past month, I've been limiting the spins to an hour and averaging 30-32kms. However yesterday I decided to go for a longer slower spin to see how I'd fare so went from Clane-Allenwood-Rathangan-Clonbullogue-Edenderry-Enfield and cross country home to Clane. 82kms in 2 hours 40 minutes. Apart from one small stretch where I ran out of steam for about five minutes, I felt pretty good. Just need to bring more than 2 bananas to eat on my next long spin to keep the fuel stores up. Next weekend I'm going to do my first 100kms since last year and then take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,766 ✭✭✭✭dahat

5.45am, 1hr fasted spin outdoors, cracking morning, a great start to the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

102km around NCD, 460m climb, av 27.5km/h. Was cloudy setting out, so forgot the sunscreen, stopped and bought some, glad I did - gorgeous day.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

66km 1200m 25 avg

Third time up Kippure Mast today, no wind, very little clouds, absolutely breathtaking view up there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Not today but Thursday to Saturday - did a great three day cycle from Malahide with a terrific bunch of guys fundraising for Crumlin Hospital. Overnighted in Tullamore and Nenagh before arriving into Kinvara on Saturday evening. Highlights included two new climbs for me - the Glendine Gap in the Slieve Blooms and a tough mountain road between Killaloe and Broadford to the south of Slieve Bernagh. Best fun moment was the Bishop Brennan re-enactment in front of the Craggy Island Parochial House in the Burren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

day off work so made the most of it, 103 kms, 1200 mtrs, over the Wicklow gap to Laragh, then back over the Sally gap and back to Naas, didn’t have any rain which was a bonus too,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

Handy little spin out to blessington, with my imaginary friend Annette , around small lakes and back via manor Kilbride and home. Just spinning - 85% in zone 2
    45km Avg 27kph

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement