Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Interesting word 'herding'.

While we have a flock of sheep and a herd of cattle, 'flocking' sheep just doesn't sound right.
    Isn't that against the law?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Did the Sean Lynch memorial solstice cycle from Ashbourne yesterday. Great turnout a few hundred started. Did the 80km route. A 5am start with a 32 km/hr average meant I was back in bed for 8.00am.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Bray to Bunclody on Saturday. Great day for it. Haven't done much cycling in wicklow and was first time up the wicklow gap. Legs still feeling Wednesday nights racing and was struggling up a short steep hill in Clonegal, had me looking for a soft hedge to land in. Then when I got off the bike at the end I realised my brakes had been rubbing most of the spin, the joy of a BB mounted back brake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Did the Sean Lynch memorial solstice cycle from Ashbourne yesterday. Great turnout a few hundred started. Did the 80km route. A 5am start with a 32 km/hr average meant I was back in bed for 8.00am.

I did this as well.
    Great morning. Well marshalled. Good route. Lovely breakfast afterwards.
    Ave. 33.8kpm
    I didn't get back to bed until after nine.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

My first 100km of the year last Saturday since I started cycling again after 6 months off from injury. Clane-Kilcock-Rathmolyon-Trim-Dunboyne-Leixlip-Straffan-Sallins-Clane, 100.1kms to be exact!!!

Felt great for the first 40kms to Trim but then when I turned towards Dunboyne, I was cycling into a headwind and it was very warm (20 degrees). My legs completely died on me and checking my stats after I got home, I saw that my average for the first 40kms to Trim was 33kph but that dropped to 24kph on the next leg. Literally like hitting "the wall" in a marathon. I was eating bananas and drinking electrolyte drinks and so I couldn't figure why my batteries just died so suddenly. I also expereinced my first bout of cycling rage when I noticed another cyclist riding right behind me for over 10kms, using me as a windbreaker and not a word or him taking the lead once in a while. If I speeded up, he speeded up, if I slowed, he slowed. Fecker just hung on to my back wheel until I got fed up with him and my dead legs and decided to pull over and stop to recharge. Then and only then did he say something which was "ffs, you could warn me you're stopping". Well my response was a lung clearing f-off. Cheeky fecker tailing me and then giving out when I decide to pull in and get some food and water into me. Well he shouldn't have been hanging on to my rear wheel so long. And to be honest, I did slowly decrease my speed prior to pulling over and he should have overtaken me.

After that pit stop at the 50km mark, I felt better and when I turned for home with 35kms to go, my legs came alive again and my average speed picked back up to 29kph. Was very tired when I got home but glad I broke the psychological barrier of 100kms for the first time this year.

And if my mysterious wheel hugger is reading this, next time say hello, offer to take the lead and generally don't be a d1ck!!!!!>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Due back in work on Wednesday so had to get out to complete the June gran fondo on Strava. Headed for Howth, bit of a detour as the road was closed by Portmarnock. It was open again on the return but the heavens opened around the same point. Hit 50km as I came into Malahide In 1 hour 38 so I was averaging just over 30kmh including going over Howth at that point.
    Took a loop of the airport before heading out to Lusk, Rush then Skerries.
    Reached the house at 98.8km so went up the road a bit and back to clock up the 100km.
    Bike needs a good clean now...
    Averaged 29kmh, and hit a few pb’s

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nice 58k spin, but found yet another road which i recently started using because it's been resurfaced, but found this evening that it's a mess of chippings; this one: https://www.strava.com/segments/19057883

decent chat too with a guy cycling home from work, he's a swords mcnally chap, knows a couple of folks here.
    weirdly, even though we cycled from the broadmeadow to garristown together, the strava flyby shows a low correlation score.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

Out on club spin, had planned on doing Sally Gap but you couldn't see mountains ar 6:30 this evening, so an alternative route, straight from CSS shop to blessington, around small lake, right turn ballysmutten , up military road to ballinascorney and back down to Tallaght.
    52 km 675m Avg 25.8 kph

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i passed a chap this morning on a bike which looked a lot like LollipopJimmy's look this morning - is it de rigeur to put yellow cables on them, or was that LJ himself?
    was on the strand road, maybe halfway between merrion gates and sandymount.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

i passed a chap this morning on a bike which looked a lot like LollipopJimmy's look this morning - is it de rigeur to put yellow cables on them, or was that LJ himself?
    was on the strand road, maybe halfway between merrion gates and sandymount.

Not me and it's safe to assume it wasn't as clean as mine so you should have known. That model came with yellow cables from factory

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Started to get the CX bike setup up for more off-road stuff in preparation for the Western Lakes 100 this weekend. The only decent knobblies I've currently got are a set of studs that weigh a bit more than I'd like and sound like a party in a packet of rice crispies but seem grand outside of that. Descent from the Hellfire and Massey told be I need the pressures quite a bit lower and that I might be more comfortable of flat pedals than SPDs. Currently at 70/65 and I bounced down the hill, thinking 50/45 might be a better bet and hope not to get a puncture.

On a clear day from the Hellfire you can see forever, today was not that day :)

483651.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

Out early to get my June Strava Gran Fondo. Knew early doors it was going to be a struggle.
    Felt like packing it in after about 20k, just couldn't get the legs spinning at all. The worst I've felt both physically and mentally on the bike in a very long time. Stuck it out and rewarded myself with a 99 at the half way point.
    106km done with 1280 climbing @25.6km ave.
    The weather and the strangely light traffic were the positives.. Oh and of course the ice cream

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....decent chat too with a guy cycling home from work, he's a swords mcnally chap, knows a couple of folks here.
    weirdly, even though we cycled from the broadmeadow to garristown together, the strava flyby shows a low correlation score.
    Good all round cyclist is BF. He did the Mick Byrne with Mercian Pro and myself. Does a long commute also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Was out on summerhill dunboyne road this evening hope cyclist down near the hatchet pub is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Short 30 km this evening, cycled to and from BBQ, couple of sneaky ciders.

Usual commute but much slower than usual with every turn of the cranks needing my full focus and all my energy.

S&C class this morning that ripped me asunder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Was just running errands at lunch on a Dublin bike through Stephens Green, then the canal cycle path down towards Sandymount, when we get weather like this Dublin really is a great city

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Got stuck working late last night. Ended up having to cycle home at dusk without lights.
    Got pulled in by a squad car, close to 5 Lamps, for "swerving all over the road".
    Swerving involved me having to pull out of the cycle lane as there were cars parked in it.
    Expecting a fine in the post for no lights, which I have no issue with.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Did 61km this morn/noon. Stopped at sisters and parents inside first 20km to say hello.

Garmin thereafter measured the correct distance, but didn't map it it seems so Strava has it at 17 km. I set some PBs too as I had some starred segments

Anyway, between that and errands around 70km in 2.5 hrs and first time having consecutive 1000km months

My better half down in Kinnegad to help son with painting, grandson footy over for a couple of weeks or so, planned a good spin with the club in Dublin , all kitted out, sun protection on, went to get bike, couldn't find keys anywhere, better half had picked them up thinking they were front door keys, had to call the lads and tell them to go, drove to Wexford in cycling kit and headed out on a solo spin, the club down there had gone out earlier..
    Headed to Oulart, Enniscorthy, Ferns , Gorey and down to courtown for a 99 ice cream
    61 km avg 29kph

A cool down spin to house 14km
    Alls well that ends well :)

• Advertisement

just 45k this morning, main goal was to get yearly total to 4k before the end of june (may have to work tomorrow, alas).
    yet again i spent some time chatting to another cyclist, only for strava to not seem to correlate the rides well when i looked at it in flybys. it ranked people i passed going in the opposite direction more closely than someone i cycled alongside for nearly 2km.

Did the 100km Leinster Loop, time wasnt my friend today so got out and got on with it.

Good day, very well organised although I did manage to blag a VIP ticket so no complaints

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Two times up Sally's Gap + Kippure for 132km/1800m of climbing. Totally bolloxed now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

First time over the 100km in a couple of months. Wasn't easy, rolling roads /bohreens between Killucan, Multyfarnham and Crooked wood really stretched the legs and had the HR well up but at least everyone else was panting a bit too. The scenery around there is lovely though so it took the mind off the pain.
    Most of my crash injuries seem to be well on the way to recovery, all I need is a heap of miles and I should be good.
    Happy, despite the suffering.
    101km @31kmh
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2492266781

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Leinster loop 145km - bloody windy for large chunks of it.

Gallons of Marshalls, lashings of food and not too much rain.

Club Spin with Gorey cc touring group, went from house to Gorey to meet up, headed to Ferns, Enniscorthy, oilgate, Wexford town and back to castlebridge, and at Ballyedmund i veered off back to house.
    I went with 2 of the racers for the gallop back from Wexford town, we picked up 2 cups an 8th & a 9th.... my first ever cups :)

95 km avg 30.6 kph

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

76 km, did a ramble over around Rearcross in Tipp, got soaked twice. Wossed out at second downpour and had another coffee stop, 2 coffees, cake and ending up sharing a pizza with wife when she came with a winter jacket for me. Oh the shame lol

• Registered Users Posts: 16,766 ✭✭✭✭dahat

4hr solo training spin around usual coast roads for me, headwinds, crosswinds with very little tailwind en route home.

My freehub decided to impersonate a vibro plate when descending at speed freewheeling which is pretty annoying. The set intervals went to pieces as well as I was way down on power, I could have quite easily thrown bike n body in the ditch halfway round!!!

The only good point was I avoided all rain, small things especially when you have no gillet (zip broke last week)

127km @ 32.5 avg and glad to get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Tipped down to Athlone yesterday morning, had the breeze on my back for lots of it.... 93km @ 32.9 average...

https://www.strava.com/activities/2493550685

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Took a spin around South Wicklow the other day. Parked at Laragh, up the waterfall to the Gap, down to Blessington. Chicken roll in the butcher shop. Down the Valleymount road then right to Tulfarris and on to Hollywood. N81 for a mile or two, then left through Donard Glen (aka Hollywood Glen) into Donard. A chat with the lovely lady in Donard shop, and a coffee. Up and over into Imaal, up and over Ballinabarney Gap to the Aughavannagh road, and up-and-over into Aughavannagh. Wimped out of the longer Aughrim option, and over Slieve Maan (lovely flowers in the roadside along here). Down to Glenmalure, and a final bump over Shay Elliott. 102k, a reasonable amount of climbing (not sure how much, maybe 1500m?).
    There's a lot of great cycling out around Imaal, Aughavannagh and the south fringes of the mountains. Met basically nobody all day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement