Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ballinabarney Gap is lovely. Very, very quiet. Did you see the Alpaca farm beteen Donard and Imaal?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

51km around the Phoenix Park, 5 laps. Getting a little bored with it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

2nd spin since doing the hamstring in march, 41.5km avg 28km/h, pretty happy with that effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

32.6km @ 32.6kmph average :-)
    Nice evening for a quick one

https://strava.app.link/zyfCBuBp0X

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

Club spin Tuesday hills, Tallaght to Enniskerry, up the hill to Glencree, over to view point and back to Tallaght.
    50km avg 25.4kph 680m.
    Lovely evening for it.

• Advertisement

I took my daughter’s boyfriend for his first spin in Majorca this morning. A little 35k loop to get him acclimatised.

Palma nova - Calvia - Sa Crau (military hill I know it as ) and back home.

Galilea tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

What’s the difference between a well dressed cyclist and a scruff on a tricycle?

Attire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Lovely spin our West this evening, 70km @27.5 avg

https://www.strava.com/activities/2501813434

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Reckoned I couldn't miss out on this glorious weather and with a baby due on Monday my opportunities are disappearing pretty quickly!

100km from Raheny to Sally gap via Cruagh road, then back via the road by the back of the Kilbride army camp (can never remember what that road is called!) and another run up Stocking Lane to completely knock the stuffing out of me. Simply beautiful up there today :D:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Reckoned I couldn't miss out on this glorious weather and with a baby due on Monday my opportunities are disappearing pretty quickly!

100km from Raheny to Sally gap via Cruagh road, then back via the road by the back of the Kilbride army camp (can never remember what that road is called!) and another run up Stocking Lane to completely knock the stuffing out of me. Simply beautiful up there today :D:cool:

Jeez! That's impressive distance if you're 9-months pregnant!...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Jeez! That's impressive distance if you're 9-months pregnant!...

:pac:

Though she was on the bike yesterday, kept the distance a bit shorter though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

Out to blessington and did poulaphuca loop, back out to n81, blessington and home.
    64km avg 30.6 kph, lovely evening

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Dublin to Moate and SuperMacs recovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

101km at 31.7kph.

A while afterward I cycled to the takeaway and picked up my curry and my body made no complaints. I was really pleased that I had no pains or aches, just usual fatigue. In the past my knee would start acting up or my back recently from lowering my position but it was all good today.

Ring of Kerry. 175km @ 31.8kph. Didn't bring enough food and didn't stop and eat until 105k and paid the price as I was wrecked for about 30k after. Finally came round and finished strongly. First spin over 100k so happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

dublin 4-enniskerry-glendalough-valleymount-blessington-dublin 111KM and 3200 calories burned if that is to be believed , fairly shattered as missed 3 weekends on the bike with holidays. missed a turn around the lake which brought me into blessington instead of behind the lake, but was gagging for a ltr of milk and some fruit , so that was ok. they should really clean up the side of the road from blessington back to tallaght , full of soil/sand and other debris. got up early, was in glendalough by 9am , not much traffic but motorcyclists are a pain , they come in bunches from behind and you cant hear whats happening, they make no effort to slow down when passing. is this a sunday thing? or just the route?
    anyway back to get the last of the weekend sun

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

123kms with 1700mtrs climbed. From Naas across the Wicklow gap to Laragh, then up Shay Elliott & Slieve Maan, I was tortured by flies! around to Donard, back to Blessington and home, was a nice spin ,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

beautiful morning for it. just shy of 80km, just shy of 900m climbing. those hills just to the north of bellewstown are fun, though should have done them in reverse order, the one i went down was quite technical and hard to open up on.

my wife was highly amused that when i was relating to her having had a chat with a chap i had met and chatted to before out on the bike, that i recognised him by his bike rather than his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

70 odd km around Beara, handy pace. Legs empty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Handy 15km around Djouce - went over the bars as I was trying to clip in going down toro. Slightly embarrassing.

At least I know I set the torque on the bolt holding the brakes correctly as they swivelled around undamaged.

Wrist hurts a bit holding my beer.

• Advertisement

Headed to the shed this morning rolled the bike out and threw the leg over. Ouch.

Hadn't noticed getting dressed but sure as hell did getting on the bike. Staph infection on my inner thigh and pinched it getting on. Spin abandoned and likely off the bike for a week until it clears. Seems to be a thing I'm prone to this time of year with pores getting blocked and being sweaty down below despite being a 2 shower a day man this time of year. I'll have a chat to the GP as I'm in during the week for something else :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

silverharp wrote: »
    they should really clean up the side of the road from blessington back to tallaght , full of soil/sand and other debris. ....... not much traffic but motorcyclists are a pain , they come in bunches from behind and you cant hear whats happening, they make no effort to slow down when passing. is this a sunday thing? or just the route?

I presume your Blessington to Tallaght route is on the N81. A far quieter and cleaner option is here https://goo.gl/maps/UVV3BPaSThZFX4qt8 via Manor Kilbride and Seskin.

The Wicklow Gap really seems to attract motorcyclists and the various memorial stones along the way are a reflection of their speeding well beyond their ability and the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... but motorcyclists are a pain , they come in bunches from behind and you cant hear whats happening...
    ....and over in the Motorcycle Forum they regularly complain about the roads of Wicklow being spoiled on a Sunday by the Lycra brigade!:D

PS - what do you mean by 'cant hear what's happening'?

I would think it's the complete opposite with motorcycles - you can hear everything that's happening.

....and over in the Motorcycle Forum they regularly complain about the roads of Wicklow being spoiled on a Sunday by the Lycra brigade!:D

PS - what do you mean by 'cant hear what's happening'?

I would think it's the complete opposite with motorcycles - you can hear everything that's happening.

i heard the bike coming,i pulled in a bit, guy passed me, i pulled out a bit only to be buzzed by a second bike, it turned out there were 4 of them but i couldnt hear the ones behind because of the noise from the one in front. a bit disconcerting
    I presume your Blessington to Tallaght route is on the N81. A far quieter and cleaner option is here https://goo.gl/maps/UVV3BPaSThZFX4qt8 via Manor Kilbride and Seskin.

thats right, that was the plan, i missed the right turn near Valleymount

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭positron

i heard the bike coming,i pulled in a bit, guy passed me, i pulled out a bit only to be buzzed by a second bike, it turned out there were 4 of them but i couldnt hear the ones behind because of the noise from the one in front. a bit disconcerting

As a motorcyclist who also cycles... that's not all that different to any other traffic situation.. there could be cars behind a bus / truck etc... :D

Last friday, doing my occasional commute (Dundrum-Drogheda), I probably let my mind wander a bit and all of a sudden I am entering a mini roundabout near Balrothery, I was in the middle of the lane and going slightly too fast (for my skill, or lack of rather..), but that's okay as I told myself that I can cut the inner lane and ride almost straight. Just in that instance I heard a car over my shoulder - and it sounded way too close. Now I couldn't brake hard. Predictably, I went wide (under-steer?) at the roundabout, which I have done riding motorbikes, but this was a first for me on a pedal bike. Anyway, when I was sure I was going to hit the curb sideways and come off, I kinda threw myself at the telephone/electricity pole there and hugged it like a coala :o Luckily the bike also stopped with me as my right foot stayed clipped in. It must have been comedy gold for the car driver behind me, but perhaps he was too busy on facebook/whatsapp in the first place, he didn't even stop. No one else saw it (hopefully) so I went on my way, nothing but bruised ego and an important lesson about daydreaming - DON'T.

positron wrote: »
    As a motorcyclist who also cycles... that's not all that different to any other traffic situation.. there could be cars behind a bus / truck etc... :D

its the relative noise and speed and the numbers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

its the relative noise and speed and the numbers.

Probably considered a crime against aesthetics by many here, but I use these bar end mirrors and find them handy enough.

smacl wrote: »
    Probably considered a crime against aesthetics by many here, but I use these bar end mirrors and find them handy enough.

Ah ha, I meant to ask about that when you posted a picture in the photos thread. Whats the view like on them ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Ah ha, I meant to ask about that when you posted a picture in the photos thread. Whats the view like on them ?

Pretty good on a clear day without rain and you keep them clean. My eyesight isn't great so even with the prescription sunglasses I don't find them much use in poorer conditions and they aren't a substitute for looking over your shoulder if you're changing lane prior to a right turn. Very handy if you're cycling with others or want to see if there's following traffic on a narrow road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

i heard the bike coming,i pulled in a bit, guy passed me, i pulled out a bit

If I was behind/beside you I'd instantly think you were a novice doing that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement